UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Flea and tick control
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

Flea and tick control

What's out there as far as a collar that works?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-22-2017 01:36 AM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

In the past I have struggled with this on certain years. I believe I finally have a good system. I dont know what collars are good but I do know that the monthly pill called Simparica works really well. I have also got in the habit of using permethrin 10 diluted in water and i treat the area around my dogs and inside the dog house with it in a hand lawn sprayer. I have also have started keeping it in a 16 oz spray bottle and give the dog a light spraying before hunting to help keep the ticks off. the tick illnesses are way to common and can all but ruin a good hound. Hope this helps and you find a successful program.

Old Post 02-22-2017 12:19 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wdb91
UKC Forum Member

The monthly pill I get from my vet works like a champ,20$ a month and definitely worth it...I have tried numerous types of collars and they don't seem to do nearly as good..Also keep your dogs on fresh cedar shavings as the aroma of the shavings tends to keep them beat down...hope this helps...

Old Post 02-22-2017 01:25 PM
Wdb91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wdb91 Click here to Send Wdb91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Wdb91 Find more posts by Wdb91 Add Wdb91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

I've had good luck with the Simpirica pill . Will be using it again this year!

Old Post 02-22-2017 03:29 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Simparica is the best I have found. Have not seen a tick on my dogs since I started using it. I think it's the best preventative for these tick borne diseases.

Old Post 02-22-2017 06:47 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wadepardue
UKC Forum Member

Can simparica be bought on line or does it have to be bought from a vet ???

Old Post 02-22-2017 07:24 PM
wadepardue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wadepardue Click here to Send wadepardue a Private Message Click Here to Email wadepardue Find more posts by wadepardue Add wadepardue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quickdraw
UKC Forum Member

ive been using bravecto for a couple years now I really like it .works up to 12 weeks per dose.

Old Post 02-22-2017 07:42 PM
quickdraw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for quickdraw Click here to Send quickdraw a Private Message Find more posts by quickdraw Add quickdraw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BEST EVER
Banned

I for one use nothing other than the SERESTO flea and tick colars. Cost $42.00 and they last for 8 months. I have used these for 2 years and no fleas or ticks. On nursing or puppies use vinegar mixed with salt and baking soda and once again no fleas or ticks.

GRNTCHGRCH PR Super Blue Riptide
GRNITECH 'PR' Prairie Creek Blue Big Horn

Mark Robbins Home : 812-547-1358 cell 812-309-8290
Corey Robbins Cell : 812-608-1645 / Home 812-547-2775

Old Post 02-22-2017 07:47 PM
BEST EVER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BEST EVER Click here to Send BEST EVER a Private Message Find more posts by BEST EVER Add BEST EVER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melblank
UKC Forum Member

Plain old sevin dust works wonders around your kennels.

Old Post 02-22-2017 09:55 PM
Melblank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melblank Click here to Send Melblank a Private Message Find more posts by Melblank Add Melblank to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonbone
UKC Forum Member

Been trying to find a natural tick repellent.A few drops of lavender,and rosemary essential oils in apple cider vinegar is suppose to work.Has anyone tried this?

Old Post 02-23-2017 05:34 AM
coonbone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonbone Click here to Send coonbone a Private Message Find more posts by coonbone Add coonbone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Bravecto

I am for now using bravecto tablets. They are said to kill ticks up to 12 weeks (except the lone star tick, 8 weeks). Trying g to figure out what to use for that last 4 weeks or just give another tablet.

Simbrica is the same but they start killing ticks faster. 4-5 hours

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 02-23-2017 11:31 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

Nexgaurd every month backed up with a pet armour flea/tick collar.

Old Post 02-23-2017 11:53 AM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by coonbone
Been trying to find a natural tick repellent.A few drops of lavender,and rosemary essential oils in apple cider vinegar is suppose to work.Has anyone tried this?

I know they use those oils ( - the ACV ) for killing spiders on boat docks never thought about trying that for fleas and ticks ...???

Old Post 02-23-2017 03:49 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Nexguard only! No collars, no spraying. If a flea can't stay on your dog, where's he gonna go.

Old Post 02-23-2017 04:59 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

I've used nexgard and really like it but I have 5 dogs so I was interested in a collar that worked. I'm going to try seresto

Old Post 02-24-2017 02:15 AM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonbone
UKC Forum Member

The tick has to bite the dog to feel the effects of Nexgard.I would rather use something that repels the tick,so it doesn't bite the dog.

Old Post 02-24-2017 05:18 AM
coonbone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonbone Click here to Send coonbone a Private Message Find more posts by coonbone Add coonbone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnb&t
UKC Forum Member

im in nebraska have thick ticks at times but nothing like other areas i hunt every year. use frontline, regular wormer, native prairie hay as bedding.

never had flea trouble, not much if any tick trouble. everyone around here that has flea trouble uses straw as bedding it seems like. never had heart worm trouble either.

have several hunting buddies that inject ivomec on hounds and curs under skin once a month and swear by it for every kind of parasite but ive never done that. they do it only if had dog from when weaned pup.

have seen dogs with all of the above done live 10-15 years old and still hunting till the end.

Old Post 02-24-2017 07:01 AM
mnb&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnb&t Click here to Send mnb&t a Private Message Find more posts by mnb&t Add mnb&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

Well as for me I used Bravecto for 2 years and works flawlessly, BUT I HAD 2 DOGS WITH LYMES THIS SUMMER. The vet says the fleas and ticks have to bite the dog before it kills them and once they're bit it's too late. The ticks can still transfer the lyme disease to your dog!!! For me I will not waste my mone at the vet's office for any kind a pill. By the way after ripping into the vet and spending several 100 to cure lymes would you care to guess what he recommends..... K9 Advantix topical once a month, kills on contact before the parasites get the chance to bit your dog! Pills are smoke and mirrors do with the info what you wish.

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Old Post 11-27-2019 01:22 PM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Some pills have a faster kill rate then others. It’s really unknown how long the tick needs to be attached for it to transfer the bacteria, a lot of info leads to a 24 hr time. Have u ever considered vaccinations against Lyme?

Old Post 11-27-2019 02:53 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

Nexguard order from VetMeds4Pets for large dogs and cut in half. About $4/month

Old Post 11-27-2019 03:04 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote