UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Scratch Mentality
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I never been scratched or wrote up my whole life buuuuut my dogs have been scratched a bunch darned possums lol.

Tar

Now Tar ,maybe , just maybe we need to plus more possums , but that never has or will happen.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-06-2019 12:53 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Chuck

Now don't go and say that has not and will not happen! We have proof that that happened and most likely will happen again, even in a major hunt. Lol. Dave

Old Post 06-06-2019 01:03 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Pray Tell and say it ain't so , Dave. LOL

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-06-2019 01:10 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Chuck Allen

I am afraid so, maybe old Tar can fill you in, I believe he will remember, if not I will. Lol. Dave

Old Post 06-06-2019 01:12 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tim

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
The honor is letting the best dog win, not sneaking in the back door on a honest mistake like shining a tree. I realize what the RULES say, but that's a mighty slim offense, just like a mistake on a scorecard. If you can win like that and call it honor, I am happy for you. Myself, I just do not want that kind of win. Now if the other dig or dogs do something like Tre off game and get scratched, that's a different story. Let the best dig wink not some scratch happy handler that does not have the dig power to win. I can't speak for no one but myself, but looking for something to scratch an otherwise decent handler over a silly mistake is just poor sportsmanship in my opinion and I am sticking to that opinion. How many times have you done something that you could have been scratched for, but was not scratched? If your answer is even once, I don't want to hear about RULES. We ALL have caught a break at least once probably several times if you have hunted in many hunts. I believe our comments are directed to those who feel the need to play the RULES when it benefits them and ignore the RULES when it would be to their disadvantage. Get a better dog and you won't worry about someone shining a tree to quick, or blowing a squaller to soon. Dave

I’m Not debating who has the better dog or who the handler is or who owns the dog, im not even debating the scores what im saying is The Rules Say Scratched period! So you are saying it’s ok to cheat to save your honor?
Now I don’t like it and these rules need changed, 5 years ago my handler got scratched on Saturday at the zones for squalling before judge started the time, no complaints here he knows better but the excitement got him.
Hate the rules not the player.

Old Post 06-06-2019 01:17 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Chuck Allen

quote:
I am afraid so, maybe old Tar can fill you in, I believe he will remember, if not I will. Lol. Dave

I remember lol !!!

Tar

Old Post 06-06-2019 01:29 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

No where did I advocate cheating, that's your words. I asked you how many times you had been given a break in all of the hunts you have ever hunted in and you did not answer! If you ever got by without misusing your dig for something you know the dog done, was that cheating or just a lucky break? No one has ever hunted in very many hunts and not had a break, even if the RULES said otherwise, not you, me or anyone else period. I love it when a man takes those breaks, but wants to enforce the RULES to a letter when they benefit themself. If you are not calling everything your dog does wrong, even if the judge does not see or call it, then you are just as guilty of cheating as a man making a mistake shining or squalling before time. While a man should take his medicine under those cases, he should take his medicine even if not caught. Why, because he knows it, should not have to have a judge do the misusing. If you can't, then don't cry over someone else's mistakes or try and get them scratched. Yes, the RULES need changed as to when to scratch a handler, but until EVERYONE is willing to man up and judge their own dog for what it does every time, taking minus if deserved without a judge misusing their dog DO NOT throw a honest handler under the bus for a minor infraction. Dave

Old Post 06-06-2019 02:22 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Allen
Now Jen , everyone knows Cheyenne , Tar and I are the staunch Bastions of politically correctness , and proper decorum. JMHO

Lmbo!!! Nice guy his but political correctness is his weakness. Why I typed the start of this thread instead of him but he ok'd it just would have put it in different terms lol.
He's been working on a truck all day today we probably don't want to hear his true thoughts today lol.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-06-2019 02:36 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jen Cummings

Heck yes, we want to hear his true thoughts. Political correctness has got this country in a mess. Seems like no one wants to really say what's right even though the majority feel that way. We ALL need to stop this nonsense, say the truth whoever it offends and VOTE for those who think the same way. We have sat idle long enough, the minority groups of all types have gotten laws passed that SHOULD never have been passed. In a true democracy the majority RULE, it's time that the majority have their voices heard loud and clear. Dave

Old Post 06-06-2019 02:52 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Jen Cummings

quote:
Heck yes, we want to hear his true thoughts. Political correctness has got this country in a mess. Seems like no one wants to really say what's right even though the majority feel that way. We ALL need to stop this nonsense, say the truth whoever it offends and VOTE for those who think the same way. We have sat idle long enough, the minority groups of all types have gotten laws passed that SHOULD never have been passed. In a true democracy the majority RULE, it's time that the majority have their voices heard loud and clear. Dave

I would really like to see hobo let er rip one time on his thoughts on all this lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-06-2019 02:55 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Agitate the bear and you might get bit, but what's the fun in playing safe all the time. A boat is usually safer in the harbor, but it was made to sail. I even enjoy some of your ramblings these days, some even make sense. Lol. Dave

Old Post 06-06-2019 03:10 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Ahh Dave this old fat kid is just having a blast. All has been done that can be the vote in September will decide how we play the game I am alright anyway it goes. I have hunted under 3 sets of rules for a long time change don’t scare me but like I have said before it’s not my game no more just hope it brings in the younger hunters because they are going to be paying the bills. And from the looks of things they don’t mind spending the money lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-06-2019 03:21 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

I am with you on this, I sure hope the younger hunters start enjoying these hunts in numbers to keep the Clubs up and running. I am to old to benefit from any changes but change is needed. Younger hunters get slammed by some of the older hunters, but THEY are the future of our sport. Hunting kept a lot of the older guys out of trouble and will keep the younger guys out of trouble too. Some things have improved over time and some things have gotten worse, but We can be very adaptable when we have too. Dave

Old Post 06-06-2019 03:48 AM
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Casts sure go a lot smoother when you got dog MEN on the cast!! Shine it going in plus him up, circle him, minus him, squaw, shake vines, spit and cuss the dog then minus him!! You here me through yonder? Yep!! Go give him what he’s got coming and the dog that deserves to win that night does. Those that don’t go back to the hotel and wait till tomorrow night!! Is it cheating? You can call it that but I call it COMMON SENSE, now I know in this day and time we are asking a lot when we ask for that and who ever set down and wrote the rules over here absolutely have NONE!! I’ve seen people on there first hunt ever right out the truck blow a squaw and some PRICK holler “your scratched your scratched”
I’m not saying there ain’t a time for scratching, but blowing a squaw at any time ain’t one of them!! IMO

Old Post 06-06-2019 08:04 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
Casts sure go a lot smoother when you got dog MEN on the cast!! Shine it going in plus him up, circle him, minus him, squaw, shake vines, spit and cuss the dog then minus him!! You here me through yonder? Yep!! Go give him what he’s got coming and the dog that deserves to win that night does. Those that don’t go back to the hotel and wait till tomorrow night!! Is it cheating? You can call it that but I call it COMMON SENSE, now I know in this day and time we are asking a lot when we ask for that and who ever set down and wrote the rules over here absolutely have NONE!! I’ve seen people on there first hunt ever right out the truck blow a squaw and some PRICK holler “your scratched your scratched”
I’m not saying there ain’t a time for scratching, but blowing a squaw at any time ain’t one of them!! IMO

Jason I wish you lived closer we would have a hell of a time pleasure hunting together. We look at this crap the exact same way.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 06-06-2019 10:33 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

It's ok to break rules is a problem. A judge cant decide what rules are ok to bend or break without have problems.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 06-06-2019 10:50 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

But somebody on this board makes those squallers so pretty and sound so good you can’t hardly resist blowing on them lol.

It’s his fault !!

Tar

Old Post 06-06-2019 01:28 PM
millerthehound
UKC Forum Member

SO for me the rules say scratch but some of them are really stupid in my opinion. The squalling one for instance is silly. Me personally I think it should be like not calling your dog struck on the 3rd bark you get minused easy enough or at least get a warning. In zones a couple years ago I had a guy squall before we even started shining. me and other cast members talked and decided hey it was the first tree in zones we will give him another chance so we told him if it happened again he would be scratched and he agreed to it. SO the very next tree he does it again and I scratched him. I feel that there are some things that should be scratchable offenses and some things are a common sense type of thing. maybe I bent the rules but I believe in letting the best dog win but sometimes you got to cut sling load on people who cant learn.

Just my 2 cents

Home of
GRNITECH'GRCH'PR' Buster's Ugly Nite Angel HTX
2015 World Hunt and Show Qualifier
2014 Grand American Double Cast Winner
2014 World Qualifier
'PR' High Sierra's Heavenly Atlas
'PR' High Sierra's Crystal Lake Kraken
2019 World Hunt Qualifier
'PR' High Sierra's Peppermint Candy
'PR' Tiffany's Spicy Red Pepper (RedBone she isnt mine)
'PR' High Sierra's Stonecold Medusa
'PR' Miller's Ticked-Up Titan( RIP)

Old Post 06-06-2019 02:30 PM
millerthehound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for millerthehound Click here to Send millerthehound a Private Message Click Here to Email millerthehound Find more posts by millerthehound Add millerthehound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by blueticker
It's ok to break rules is a problem. A judge cant decide what rules are ok to bend or break without have problems.

Dennis this is about change proposals not breaking the rules. Started for those who would never go for a change that would get rid of some of these rules because they truly enjoy it when their competitors are scratched. There is way to much of a "scratching mentality" in a few to many.
I remember several years ago Dalton was scratched when he was much less experienced. He was hunting Mafia and up by 500 points they guy that scratched him for barely making a noise on his squaller then dropping it acted like he had won the world.
To be scratched from a cast should not be a minor offense let the dogs compete to determine a winner not senseless rules.
I'm also reminded of the youth hunter at Autumn Oaks a few years ago that the rest of his cast was gone and he was sent back out with a non-hunting judge who also h appended to be a moh. This young man wouldn't have been qualified or old enough to carry that card there but his card was thrown out because something wasn't filled out in the plus minus section. He would have had the high score of the night with a dog that had been treeing coons. There are still those opposed to letting a MOH ask questions to correct it if possible.
The silent dog, most say who cares but some act like it would be the end of the world even though most have never seen one scratched.
With other rule interpretations of you don't have to see it to scratch on off game or a dog fight.
The scratch mentality instead of the let's coonhunt is all to prevailing. They want more prestige on a win or a title make out coontreeing the goal and get rid of some of these minor scratching offenses. Not to mention more welcoming to the less experienced comp hunter who is affected more than any.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 06-06-2019 at 02:42 PM

Old Post 06-06-2019 02:39 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

The "can't break any rules" posts are just an excuse by some as an excuse for their "scratch mentality".

Old Post 06-06-2019 03:05 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Jason... don't go talking about common sense here! I made a post about several of these changes being common sense a while back but some lacking in it and disagreed lol.
There are several of you who hunt some big hunts where the last thing you hear before you head out is use common sense and that scratching is the last resort.
Allen has posted about common sense but many of the rules in place set by these breed organizations common sense cannot be used until rules are changed.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-06-2019 03:16 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss

I shine every tree with a red light on the way too it. Theirs and mine. Haven't been scratched yet. Must not be that big of a deal

Old Post 06-06-2019 05:43 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Changes

Hopefully, some of the proposed rule changes will be implemented, I sure hope so! While a large number of handlers do use the common sense approach while competition hunting, there are those who seize on any opportunity to get rid of their competition any way they legally can, using a rule for their benefit. Yet these same individuals will gladly turn a blind eye when the judge misses something their dog done wrong or even something they done wrong. We can call these rules HONOR RULES all day long, but until we take away the grey areas in our rules we will continue to have less than honorable handlers trying to win any way they can. Dave P.S. Yes, I know no set of rules will be perfect, but they can be better.

Old Post 06-07-2019 02:53 AM
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

3 pages of why I only go to 3 UKC hunts per year.

Old Post 06-07-2019 02:58 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I went to one big ukc hunt!! Purina Nationals!! I felt like I was a fish out of water!! We honestly stood in a feild for 3-4 mins with our lights off waiting to squaw on a tree 3 dogs was on and mine was still running through yonder, I insisted they could squaw, shake, shoot whatever they wanted to do but let’s not stand here looking at each other!! Next night a black dog trees a coon on a fence row and mine is split down from him. We walk off the tree heck I start the minute and him and the judge go to talking and he says he’s going to just lead his in to mine)??!!?! Said it was his option? What kind of crap is that? The rule book over here is NUTTS!! Explain to me why a dog that gets to a tree at 4:59 deserves 75? No don’t waste your breath because weather it’s mine or yours if it’s that dad gone slow it needs culled!! If it came just to say hello it needs work!! Jmo and that’s why I don’t go to them!! I use them to train my dogs at a local level and to me that’s about all there good for!! They get the rules right and get there money right and I’ll be there!! The dog that trees the most coons should win in my opinion no matter the kc and the rules need to make it where the dog that trees the most coons has that opportunity!!

Old Post 06-07-2019 08:43 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote