UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeding better dogs-what we believe
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Breeding better dogs-what we believe

I once read that the pups can only be as good as the parents...from my experience that is not true. Closer to the truth is, the pups can only be as good as what is in the parents...

I also believe in how the pregnant gyp is handled can change the pups during the gestation period, especially after the 6th week of gestation...if you hunt coon let her bay a coon in a roll cage...take her hunting...feed her coon etc...

Let us hear your thought process on the "outside the box breeding better dogs"...thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-12-2017 08:30 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Old Timer in the store the other day said it best. Always breed up. Never breed down and don't breed because you heard the dog was good. Check it out for yourself.

Old Post 06-12-2017 09:48 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Over a 20 year period with 6 and 7 generations on the females and 3 and 4 generations on the males, the dogs hunted faster, ranged further and had more grit as the generations progressed, and that is about how I came up with the belief that it is not only about what the parents are but also what is in the parents as well...

Old Post 06-12-2017 10:20 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Mr Reuben---

Do you think "if" you are hunting her and she catches a big old bad one on the ground and gets whip, will the pups lose their grit???

I like the idea about the roll cage but get a little worried when hunting a female that is bagging up and what can happen with brush and fences.

Old Post 06-12-2017 10:24 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If you take a pregnant female to a comp hunt and she wins will that make the pups winners?

Old Post 06-12-2017 10:33 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

When a dog either sex is born it's born with its reproducing ability. There have been world champions that could not reproduce at all there have been dogs that have never been hunted at all that through coondogs and there are no guarentees the same cross will work twice.

Old Post 06-12-2017 10:43 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I believe that when a truly once in a lifetime dog is born that that dog will not reproduce himself for some obvious reasons and probably quite a bit more than what we know...in my mind those genes that make up that dog had to set up in a way that will be hard to duplicate...kind of like winning a small lotto...

I do not think that if the pregnant female won the big hunt that the pups will grow up to do the same just because she won it...I am just saying that there could be an inclination for the pups to like coon a little more than if never exposed to it...there are many findings of changes with human babies when the mama exposes the baby to different surroundings and foods etc., crack babies are born crack addicts.

Old Post 06-12-2017 11:01 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

What you mean by feed the female coon?

Old Post 06-12-2017 11:39 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I shouldn't have said feed some coon to your dog. I would feed the females a hog foot with some meat on it to the females and the pups at 5-8 weeks old a raw hog head out in the yard...always in the morning before feeding time...2 or 3 times at most just to get them to know what a hog is and I hope it helps in making a better hog dog...I know this is a coon dog site...but you guys keep it interesting here so I visit here first...

Old Post 06-13-2017 01:28 AM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Just never heard of that before, that's all.

Old Post 06-13-2017 01:52 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SLR
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Better listen to yadkintar on this one

Old Post 06-13-2017 01:56 AM
SLR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SLR Click here to Send SLR a Private Message Click Here to Email SLR Find more posts by SLR Add SLR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ronnie H
UKC Forum Member

Bruce said

Always breed up and that's so true but you really don't have any control of a pup going to another home. You can't hunt them enough to make a coonhound out of a pup without anything bread into it. A dud is a dud. But you can't make a hound out of a pup left in the kennel through baseball, golf ,fishing, are what ever thing your into at the time you should be doing things with that pup.

Old Post 06-13-2017 02:20 AM
Ronnie H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ronnie H Click here to Send Ronnie H a Private Message Click Here to Email Ronnie H Find more posts by Ronnie H Add Ronnie H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I believe that when a truly once in a lifetime dog is born that that dog will not reproduce himself for some obvious reasons and probably quite a bit more than what we know...in my mind those genes that make up that dog had to set up in a way that will be hard to duplicate...kind of like winning a small lotto...

I do not think that if the pregnant female won the big hunt that the pups will grow up to do the same just because she won it...I am just saying that there could be an inclination for the pups to like coon a little more than if never exposed to it...there are many findings of changes with human babies when the mama exposes the baby to different surroundings and foods etc., crack babies are born crack addicts.

You are right about once in a life time hounds, but I don't think it makes the pups more inclined to tree coon because the mother did while carrying them. What I do believe is that hunting the female while bred keeps her in better shape and that translates into healthier pups. Also a female being hunted while she is pregnant is probably a decent female. Or else they would breed her and lay her up. So she shows to have the genetics to through descent pups.

The truth is most pups are not given a chance, at least not the right one. They are only a handful of guys that can take a pup that is not an early starting natural and make it something nice. The only way to prove what kind of job we do breeding is through the end results. That comes about through exposure and training. That's the part 90% of us fail at.

Have you ever seen a guy that raises a really nice hound and tries to train every one after that the same way he did that one? Only to never get another one? He doesn't realize that the one he had before made a dog in spite of all of his "training" instead of because of it. He blames it all on the breeder or stud but never looks in the mirror. Then there are guys that always have a nice one. They have realized that they are all different and have to be approached that way.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Last edited by joey on 06-13-2017 at 02:52 AM

Old Post 06-13-2017 02:48 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

A short story:

My grandson was having a birthday party at my house about 12 years ago...one of the kids that showed up was a relative on the other side of the family and he was about 4 years old...all the little kids got to playing outside when my grandson and a few others came running in all excited...they said, Caden is eating the peppers and I said no way...of course Caden said yes like it wasn't a big deal...so I said to go pick a small handful and show me...he goes out and picks green and red Birdseye peppers and comes in and pops them in his mouth and eats them...I said show me, open your mouth and his mouth was red pigmented from the peppers...of course I said no more peppers for you Caden...I couldn't wait for his mama to show up so I could tell her what we saw...

She shows up and I tell her what happened...she smiled and said they found out about him eating peppers when he was around 2 years old...he just reached from his baby chair and grabbed a jalapeņo pepper and started munching...so I asked her if there was an explanation...she said that when she got pregnant with caden she craved and ate many a jalapeņo and it was something she normally wouldn't eat otherwise...

Old Post 06-13-2017 04:12 AM
Philip
UKC Forum Member

So, if people take their pregnant wives hunting, their kids will be better hunters? Lol

Old Post 06-13-2017 12:00 PM
Philip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Click here to Send Philip a Private Message Click Here to Email Philip Visit Philip's homepage! Find more posts by Philip Add Philip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
If you take a pregnant female to a comp hunt and she wins will that make the pups winners?

Good god almighty!!!! This place is better than the funny papers!!!!!! and why did it take a redbone man to think up this one?????

Old Post 06-13-2017 01:34 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Good grief........

Old Post 06-13-2017 01:56 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan Dogs
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
You are right about once in a life time hounds, but I don't think it makes the pups more inclined to tree coon because the mother did while carrying them. What I do believe is that hunting the female while bred keeps her in better shape and that translates into healthier pups. Also a female being hunted while she is pregnant is probably a decent female. Or else they would breed her and lay her up. So she shows to have the genetics to through descent pups.

The truth is most pups are not given a chance, at least not the right one. They are only a handful of guys that can take a pup that is not an early starting natural and make it something nice. The only way to prove what kind of job we do breeding is through the end results. That comes about through exposure and training. That's the part 90% of us fail at.

Have you ever seen a guy that raises a really nice hound and tries to train every one after that the same way he did that one? Only to never get another one? He doesn't realize that the one he had before made a dog in spite of all of his "training" instead of because of it. He blames it all on the breeder or stud but never looks in the mirror. Then there are guys that always have a nice one. They have realized that they are all different and have to be approached that way.

Spot on!

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Old Post 06-13-2017 02:00 PM
Dan Dogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Dogs Click here to Send Dan Dogs a Private Message Click Here to Email Dan Dogs Find more posts by Dan Dogs Add Dan Dogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
damon shivers
UKC Forum Member

I believe

A lot comes down to training! Genes are there in most of todays hounds! Some start slower some start fast! I understand and in same boat a lot of us dont have time to put into the slower starting dogs but sometimes they turn out to be the Best sometime not! I think they all learn in different way like kids saying that I'm not comparing the two! But what works for one to make your once in a lifetime hound might not work for the net 10. And I'm going threw this now for I just had to put my once in a lifetime dog to sleep! I have 2 young dogs out of her a female and a male. The male started tree first night out the female has just started to tree 9 months after male do I like that no but after trying different things and about to give up I remembered a old trick a older friend showed me and did it and now she trees better than the male( sometimes).So to me its in there its just up to us to figure out the key thing to get it! Not saying there is no duds I know better! But what I have found is that most times you can get a dog to tree coon maybe not the best or comp
Good enough but u can get something out of them!

Nitech Ch PR Shivers Magic Lead-MagicXHooker
Breeder and handler and half owner of Nitech Grch Grwch Grfch PR Rock Acres Brutus HTX sire MagicXShelly
Cali- Ch Wch Grnite Shivers Magic Buckeye x Dual Grand Tuff

Old Post 06-13-2017 03:09 PM
damon shivers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for damon shivers Click here to Send damon shivers a Private Message Find more posts by damon shivers Add damon shivers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Years ago I went to see a man about something I do not remember about what. What I do remember is that he had a dog in his back yard that looked like one bad to the bone pitbull with a lab type head...I asked him what breed and he said half lab and half English bulldog...he also said she raised ten pups and all looked mostly like lab types except this one...

This was puzzling to me and my final hypothesis that made since me...The English bulldog gene pool deviates so much away from normal that it can not reproduce itself consistently when bred outside the English bulldog breed. We all know that the dog can barely breathe and needs ac to survive the summer heat and most always the females deliver by C-section...it seems to me that quite a bit of the English bulldog exaggerated traits must be recessives...
It seems to me that some of that theory applies to the once in a lifetime dog...we can use one of the greatest racehorses of all time...he never reproduced himself...

Old Post 06-13-2017 08:40 PM
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Round and Round we go where we stop nobody knows?
I bet that race horse was bred to brood mares? LOL

On a serious note: I made a half brother/half sister cross with my Liza jane female being the common ancestor, she is the granddam on both sides and out of that we have a 2 yr old male that is the spitting image of his grandam in actions and intelligence, pretty cool !

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 06-13-2017 08:57 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

I'd be worried that pregnant female would catch and eat a possum, then the pups would never be able to be broke off possum!

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 06-13-2017 10:35 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Why would you want to break a dog off possums good possum dogs are making the finals of major hunts every year lol. I want them to tree one a cast and just before you get there leave and let everything else get scratched lol. Teach them to strike them on the babble on me lol.

Old Post 06-13-2017 10:41 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Surveyor that was pretty Good!

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 06-13-2017 10:46 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Why would you want to break a dog off possums good possum dogs are making the finals of major hunts every year lol. I want them to tree one a cast and just before you get there leave and let everything else get scratched lol. Teach them to strike them on the babble on me lol.
Oh boy,here we go! In this kc corner, opposum trot champion of the world, Lol

Old Post 06-14-2017 05:47 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote