UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Conrad your a Good Man but. Lol
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Larry all of breeding is a science. Just the guys doing it hasn't figured out that everything they do can be categorized and calculated. Probably a hundreds away from that.

Also Larry remember the Genetics of Behavior and Performance website. Not sure I trust it to have the same goals as I do but they have an interesting course coming up.
Title is: The Genetics of Behavior & Performance.

http://www.instituteofcaninebiology...erformance.html

I might just waste $125 to see what it is about. Might learn something Conrad has been trying to tell me for free.

Here is the course layout.
TOPICS

The role of genetics in domestication
- how did dogs become domesticated?
- how did selection for behavior affect anatomy?

Heritability of behavior
- is it nature? nuture? How can you tell?
- the roles of genetics and environment

Genetics of behavioral traits, for example:
- playfulness, friendliness
- aggression, fear, anxiety
- soft / hard temperament
- guarding, hunting, prey drive
- bidability
- shyness, compulsive behavior

Genetics of performance traits, for example:
- physiological (e.g, tracking, mine detection)
- instinctive traits (e.g., hunting, herding)
- intelligence
- work ethic (e.g., service dogs)
- working ability (e.g.,sled dog speed, endurance)
- high altitude tolerance

Breeding for behavior and performance
- using science to breed better dogs

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 06-23-2017 at 04:14 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-23-2017 04:10 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Bruce,

It sounds very interesting. There are some very complicated topics there. It would be interesting to see how they present to a non-science audience. It would also be interesting to see how many and what citations they provide to back up there points.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 06-23-2017 04:23 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Tar, I can tell you this. My bone pup is smart and wants to do.

This is going to sound funny and I have seen people say this on here before and I believe it also. Once you get the magic sauce you just have to handle it correctly and not spoil it. Give them the chance and don't mess them up. Stay out of their way as their breeding will do what 10 trainers can't.

Here is an example. People want to know how to teach one to load. Lot of ways used but with my bone pup all I have to do is stay out of his way and let him get a little bigger.

Yesterday I was out in the pasture with the pups and put one of the grown dogs in the back of the Ranger. The Bone pup seen the grown one jump up there and he about killed himself trying to jump up there. He just needs to get a little bigger. I am looking forward to this fall with him. He might make a young man out of me again. Tar, I hope yours does the same for you.

Conrad, I think your GR NITE post should be on a bumper sticker and on every coon hunters truck in america. Titles don't guarantee traits and it is the traits that count.

It's funny you mention your Bone pup trying to load.

His sister does the exact same thing.

She runs loose around the place,and has been trying to jump in the truck like the big dogs.

She will back off and make a run for it and jump at the tailgate.

Funny to watch.

I have a notion these are going to be special.

Old Post 06-23-2017 05:15 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Bruce I would take a look at the instructor and see if you really wanted to torture yourself There are guy's on here that will do it for free........ Ammonia droppings from humming birds, looks like one of her studies.

Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you. John Wooden

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 06-23-2017 10:57 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

I try to hang my hat on this
KISS is an acronym for "Keep it simple, stupid" as a design principle noted by the U.S. Navy in 1960. The KISS principle states that most systems work best if they are kept simple rather than made complicated; therefore simplicity should be a key goal in design and unnecessary complexity should be avoided.

Old Post 06-23-2017 10:59 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Re: traits

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
when breeding everyone wants to breed better dogs. keep improving. so I was curious what some of you fellows think is more important, breeding to the better dog with the right traits and some prominent faults or breeding to a lesser dog with the right traits without the faults?
maybe someone even has some knowledge of some past experience to share about this?

peeps

Old Post 06-24-2017 12:52 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Pam, i'm sorry but the question seems like a catch 22 to me, both have the traits? When i talk about traits, its all the chrome I want on a dog, I already figure the dog can run, track and tree.
So the traits I want are
Accurate, big booming bawl mouth, looks to spare, hard hunting etc... Balance, Balance, Balance when you lose it it is H-A-R-D to get back. Out of balance you will get some that stand out above the rest, but the rest do not or should not have the prominent faults you are talking about. That's my take.

Old Post 06-24-2017 01:56 AM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Idk sometimes I just think when we breed it may be just as much about not getting the faults that we don't like as much as or more than it is about trying to get maybe an outstanding individuals quality. after all they both have the trait or traits ya could be after.

Old Post 06-24-2017 01:41 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Yepper I am guilty as charged again I see a bad fault I don't like I automatically blame it on the dog they are out of it might run way deeper than that but by me not breeding to that dog I know I can exclude it that way I absolutly hated ole lippers offspring but after it was diluted I kinda liked a little of it !!

Old Post 06-24-2017 02:05 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

yadkintar that's kind of what I mean!

Old Post 06-24-2017 06:25 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

my dad had beagles an he bought a field ch male to breed some gyp's. now when he got pups out of him some of the pups had bent curly tails. turns out we looked closer at his tail an sure enough the very end was nipped off. it was simple if he didn't want bent curly tails he just couldn't use him for breeding.

Old Post 06-24-2017 06:34 PM