UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Advantages
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jwork
UKC Forum Member

Advantages

What are the advantages of letting a pup run loose?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-22-2017 09:37 AM
jwork is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwork Click here to Send jwork a Private Message Click Here to Email jwork Find more posts by jwork Add jwork to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tremendous, actually probably more than could be wrote about here. Maybe confidence is one of the biggest things. It allows them to expand past a pup that has been kept in a pen or on a chain. They learn to navigate the woods at their pace. I have seen some young dogs that were hauled to the woods, turned loose and stood around everyones feet wondering what is happening and where they are at. I have seen some of the same pups spend just a few day in a 20 acre enclosure with a couple other pups seem to change overnight. You would then take them to the woods and they seemed to know why they were there and they didn't stand around. They were gone. I am not going to say the final outcome of one started in a pen or allowed to run loose will be better than one handled properly and kept in a pen. It just allows the natural ability to kick in earlier.

Old Post 06-22-2017 10:46 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wdb91
UKC Forum Member

I agree with Bruce, I bought a new pup and kept her in a pen all day every day(afraid something would happen to her when I was gone).I would let her out when I got home for about two hours each evening to stretch her legs and explore, when I started taking her to the woods at night at about 4 months old she would just stand there and stare at me....long story short, I started leaving her out all day when I was gone to work and now she's 8 months old and when I turn her loose at night she is gone,and is already hunting out to 800 yards by herself....she has treed a feeder bucket coon by herself already and now I'm hunting her where there are no feeders, by the way it's looking (knock on wood) she's gonna be a dandy...I'm not saying her running loose made her that way but it's the first time I have ever done it and it seems to be paying off...hope this helps

Old Post 06-23-2017 02:40 AM
Wdb91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wdb91 Click here to Send Wdb91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Wdb91 Find more posts by Wdb91 Add Wdb91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote