UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How do I get into Coonhunting?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

How do I get into Coonhunting?

For about almost nine or ten years now I have wanted to coonhunt, and I think I'm finally going to bite the bullet and get one, previously I was a little young and parents wouldn't let me haha. But how do I get into coonhunting? I've never hunted before and parents don't hunt. Can I hunt with just one coonhound or do I need two? How old do they have to be before I can start hunting with them, like how long does it take to train them? My plan is to start with either a dead carcass or a rag with some scent sprayed on it and drag it around the yard and get the coonhound to follow it. Then once he's got that down I should try with a live coon, but the only problem is I don't know where to get one. I've only got about an acre of land so trapping one is hard, can I buy one or what? And once I get a live coon where do I let it go and have the dog chase after it? I guess public hunting land would work right? I also have to desensitize the dog to gun fire which I'll be doing while I train him. I don't really know anyone who coonhunts and I couldn't find any guided coon hunts near me so I think it's gonna be pretty hard to get into coon hunting, but I'm super determined. Can anyone answer my questions or give me some advice on how to get into it? Two last questions, should I go on some nite hunts with some people before I get a dog? And after I wrote up this post i saw that a lot of people recommend getting an older dog over getting a pup. I would rather a pup that I can train, but what are the chances that he isn't treeing coons even a year into his training or he just doesn't get it?
Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-12-2018 12:46 AM
Peterhunts101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peterhunts101 Click here to Send Peterhunts101 a Private Message Find more posts by Peterhunts101 Add Peterhunts101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Go to some hunts they are listed by date in your area on this site when you get there go to the moh and tell him you are just starting hunting and if he could put you with somebody so you could watch how it's done the more you go the more people you will meet and you will get help I promise.

Tar

Old Post 12-12-2018 01:08 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Go to some hunts they are listed by date in your area on this site when you get there go to the moh and tell him you are just starting hunting and if he could put you with somebody so you could watch how it's done the more you go the more people you will meet and you will get help I promise.

Tar

Alright, should I do that with or without a dog? And whats an moh?

Old Post 12-12-2018 01:51 AM
Peterhunts101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peterhunts101 Click here to Send Peterhunts101 a Private Message Find more posts by Peterhunts101 Add Peterhunts101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Where do u live?? That'll help you get hooked up with someone on here close to you. If your anywhere close to Henry County Indiana I'd be glad to help you out and let you tag along.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 12-12-2018 02:02 AM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jkidd1
Where do u live?? That'll help you get hooked up with someone on here close to you. If your anywhere close to Henry County Indiana I'd be glad to help you out and let you tag along.

I’m in south Florida which makes coon hunting hard but that’s not gonna stop me. Most nite hunts are in north Florida though.

Old Post 12-12-2018 02:44 AM
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

There will be some folks around you that hunt if there are coons there. Seek them out, tag along, and learn before you buy a dog. Be wary, as there are shysters who are willing to take advantage of a new guy in this sport just like any other. There are also some exceptional guys that can help you along in your journey. Training a pup is a long difficult process when you know what you're doing, and it'll be exponentially more difficult when you're attempting to start a pup alone with no experience. Good luck and don't get frustrated, if you're like most of us a bad night alone in a swamp is better than a good night at home watching tv...

Old Post 12-12-2018 03:24 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lipperman22
UKC Forum Member

Try to connect with people and go with them.. theyll try to guide you along the way hopefully.

Old Post 12-12-2018 03:29 AM
Lipperman22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lipperman22 Click here to Send Lipperman22 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lipperman22 Find more posts by Lipperman22 Add Lipperman22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
George pouliott
UKC Forum Member

Coonhunt

If you have Facebook find central Florida coon hunters group . There are coon hunters all over Florida and probably someone within an hour of you . I am in Saint Augustine Florida how far south are you ? Before you buy anything find someone to hunt go hunting with check Pkc event's and schedules there is a club in Citra Ocala area go and spectate pay attention you'll probably see mostly walker dog's at the event's but that's ok you'll still get the experience of it and you can make your mind up then .

Old Post 12-12-2018 11:32 AM
George pouliott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for George pouliott Click here to Send George pouliott a Private Message Click Here to Email George pouliott Find more posts by George pouliott Add George pouliott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
There will be some folks around you that hunt if there are coons there. Seek them out, tag along, and learn before you buy a dog. Be wary, as there are shysters who are willing to take advantage of a new guy in this sport just like any other. There are also some exceptional guys that can help you along in your journey. Training a pup is a long difficult process when you know what you're doing, and it'll be exponentially more difficult when you're attempting to start a pup alone with no experience. Good luck and don't get frustrated, if you're like most of us a bad night alone in a swamp is better than a good night at home watching tv...

Okay thank you, and that’s true it’s always better to be outside

Old Post 12-12-2018 12:39 PM
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Lipperman22
Try to connect with people and go with them.. theyll try to guide you along the way hopefully.

That’s what I’m hoping for thank you

Old Post 12-12-2018 12:58 PM
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coonhunt

quote:
Originally posted by George pouliott
If you have Facebook find central Florida coon hunters group . There are coon hunters all over Florida and probably someone within an hour of you . I am in Saint Augustine Florida how far south are you ? Before you buy anything find someone to hunt go hunting with check Pkc event's and schedules there is a club in Citra Ocala area go and spectate pay attention you'll probably see mostly walker dog's at the event's but that's ok you'll still get the experience of it and you can make your mind up then .

I’m a good few hours south of st Augustine. So should I just go to an event and like ask to go with someone and like do the work for them basically?

Old Post 12-12-2018 12:59 PM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

I started the same way you are trying. My dad was a hunter but not a dog man. My advice is to stay off the internet and hunt. I didn’t have the internet when I was starting so it wasn’t a temptation, but you’ll read far more imaginative writing than you will actual sound advice! I disagree with going to local clubs to get your start. I’ll be slammed for saying that on here but it’s just been my experience. You live in a state that has a lot of coon hunters and hog hunters. It should be fairly easy for you to listen around and find someone who coon hunts for the enjoyment of coonhunting, not because they are chasing a paycheck or title. Some men that competition hunt are very good dog men and good men in general, but they are not the ones that you are likely to come in contact with most.

Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t get started alone, if you have the places to hunt you will learn far more from a good dog and the coon than anyone can ever teach you with old wives tales and figments of their imagination.

Having said all that, if you can find a real coonhunter that is willing to take you under his wing you can learn a lot and it will help your learning curve progress much faster. I don’t know Bruce Conkey on here but he is in Florida and I believe he could maybe help you learn of some good dog men in your area. But don’t believe for a second that you need a competition hunter to teach you the ropes. My point is, competition hunters and real good coonhunters can be one and the same but don’t be led to believe they are the majority because they most certainly are not!

Good luck, and I wish you all the best. Remember, hunting a dog is hard work. It’s not going to be easy and you will get out of it what you put into it.

Old Post 12-12-2018 01:20 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josh77
UKC Forum Member

Don’t do it lol

Don’t get into coon hunting unless you have plenty of money and land to hunt. Also get used to a lot of disappointment unless you can buy a good dog!

Old Post 12-12-2018 01:31 PM
josh77 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for josh77 Click here to Send josh77 a Private Message Find more posts by josh77 Add josh77 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsearless
UKC Forum Member

1. Get a descent little head light or a good flashlight and some boots.

2. Below i have listed the link to UKC Upcoming events, just type in Florida, Select Month and Year, and Select Nite Hunt. This will then pull up every nite hunt event in the state for that month. You can click on each hunt, find one close to you, see "contact" out to the side. That is the man in charge of the hunt so if you need an address to the club house or any questions call him. It will show a "deadline" (7:00pm usually) That is the time the hunt "starts" so show up 15 or 20 minutes early.

UKC is a registry..there are other registry that are similar that you can do the exact same search and find more hunts (Google: UKC, PKC, or CHKC)

UKC Upcoming Events Linkhttps://www.ukcdogs.com/coonhound-events-calendar

3. Ask a lot of questions during the hunt but be mindful and respectful of when to talk a lot and when to be quite listen like everyone else. After a few minutes you'll get the feel of things and be just fine.

4. These events are competitions, when you're not hunting in a competition, things aren't taken so seriously, so make sure you try to get out hunting with some guys like the guys have said above before you start making big decisions.

Just my little opinion hope it helps!

bsearlesa@gmail.com
(765) 661-2563
Mt. Etna Indiana

Last edited by bsearless on 12-12-2018 at 02:31 PM

Old Post 12-12-2018 02:25 PM
bsearless is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bsearless Click here to Send bsearless a Private Message Click Here to Email bsearless Find more posts by bsearless Add bsearless to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14
I started the same way you are trying. My dad was a hunter but not a dog man. My advice is to stay off the internet and hunt. I didn’t have the internet when I was starting so it wasn’t a temptation, but you’ll read far more imaginative writing than you will actual sound advice! I disagree with going to local clubs to get your start. I’ll be slammed for saying that on here but it’s just been my experience. You live in a state that has a lot of coon hunters and hog hunters. It should be fairly easy for you to listen around and find someone who coon hunts for the enjoyment of coonhunting, not because they are chasing a paycheck or title. Some men that competition hunt are very good dog men and good men in general, but they are not the ones that you are likely to come in contact with most.

Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t get started alone, if you have the places to hunt you will learn far more from a good dog and the coon than anyone can ever teach you with old wives tales and figments of their imagination.

Having said all that, if you can find a real coonhunter that is willing to take you under his wing you can learn a lot and it will help your learning curve progress much faster. I don’t know Bruce Conkey on here but he is in Florida and I believe he could maybe help you learn of some good dog men in your area. But don’t believe for a second that you need a competition hunter to teach you the ropes. My point is, competition hunters and real good coonhunters can be one and the same but don’t be led to believe they are the majority because they most certainly are not!

Good luck, and I wish you all the best. Remember, hunting a dog is hard work. It’s not going to be easy and you will get out of it what you put into it.

So if I shouldn’t find someone through a nitehunt how do I find them? I don’t know if I would wanna just do it off the internet, a nite hunt feels more comfortable.

Old Post 12-12-2018 05:09 PM
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bsearless
1. Get a descent little head light or a good flashlight and some boots.

2. Below i have listed the link to UKC Upcoming events, just type in Florida, Select Month and Year, and Select Nite Hunt. This will then pull up every nite hunt event in the state for that month. You can click on each hunt, find one close to you, see "contact" out to the side. That is the man in charge of the hunt so if you need an address to the club house or any questions call him. It will show a "deadline" (7:00pm usually) That is the time the hunt "starts" so show up 15 or 20 minutes early.

UKC is a registry..there are other registry that are similar that you can do the exact same search and find more hunts (Google: UKC, PKC, or CHKC)

UKC Upcoming Events Linkhttps://www.ukcdogs.com/coonhound-events-calendar

3. Ask a lot of questions during the hunt but be mindful and respectful of when to talk a lot and when to be quite listen like everyone else. After a few minutes you'll get the feel of things and be just fine.

4. These events are competitions, when you're not hunting in a competition, things aren't taken so seriously, so make sure you try to get out hunting with some guys like the guys have said above before you start making big decisions.

Just my little opinion hope it helps!

How tall of boots should I have? I saw some like 26 inch boots that look super tall that are meant for coon hunting, are those really necessary? And if I go to a hunt how does it work? Can I walk with one of the hunters and help me out? Once I get a dog can I run with a real experienced guy a little bit?

Old Post 12-12-2018 05:11 PM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

Florida=coon and hog hunters. Deer hunters too. Find a dog box in a truck at Walmart and ask him what he hunts. He will either be one or know of someone who is. I wouldn’t buy anything until you’ve actually went and experienced it. I can show you a pile of teenagers around here that bought everything and went full throttle for a couple weeks and found out it was easier to do anything else!
If you like it, you can progress from there. A lot of men would love to have a fresh pair of legs to tag along and be a good hunting partner. You might even find it easier to hunt with them occasionally and not spend every dollar you earn keeping dogs and hunting them the way they need to be!

Old Post 12-12-2018 08:35 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Peterhunts101
How tall of boots should I have? I saw some like 26 inch boots that look super tall that are meant for coon hunting, are those really necessary? And if I go to a hunt how does it work? Can I walk with one of the hunters and help me out? Once I get a dog can I run with a real experienced guy a little bit?

Hunts... MOH is the Master of Hounds also sometimes a Hunt Director is in charge talk to them when you get there or call the club contact before hand. You would be a spectator on a cast. A cast is a group of 4 or less dogs and their "handler" hunting together and competing against each other. There are rules regarding spectators you would need to read so that you don't interfere with the cast. You would not actually participate just walk along watch, listen and only shine trees when given permission, don't handle the dogs ect, mainly just see that your presence there does not cause you to interfere in anyway. Clubs are excellent places to meet other hunters you may find someone there that you could occasionally pleasure hunt with to learn from.
Boots, what is your terrain like? My brother-in-law is the only person I know that hunts in tennis shoes and shorts but he is crazy, there is a lady up north that hunts barefoot lol. So boots are not a necessity but do make the terrain and water much more tolerable. Most wear a rubber boot that has a chap attached. Bekinas with Badlands chaps the favorite here. Everyone has their own preference Mucks, Dan's, Quatros the list is long of different ones available but nearly all wear with the attached chaps the are briar proof, water proof and some are snake proof. Chaps are glued and attached around the ankle of a boot that is typically a regular just below the knee boot. The chap is like a sleeve that goes from ankle to thigh with snaps you hook through your belt loops.
There are some reputable dealers we could send you numbers some post on here.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-12-2018 09:29 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsearless
UKC Forum Member

Like a couple have said above, don't worry as much about having everything you think a "coonhunter" will have until you go a few times and check it out. If you have a rubber / waterproof boot like Redneck Mafia said then thats just fine. If not some old work boots and an old pair of blue jeans will work for your first few trips.

The only way i would know how to meet some hunters and tag along would be the nite hunts and or join some Facebook coon hunting groups and post there like you have here.

If you do end up getting a dog after a while i would definitely try to run with some more experienced hunters for a while. Maybe try to find ya an older gentlemen thats got some dogs.. he may have an extra light and an old pair of boots you can borrow as well, an older man that loves to hunt may take ya right in if you retrieve the dog on the hard walks!

bsearlesa@gmail.com
(765) 661-2563
Mt. Etna Indiana

Old Post 12-12-2018 09:43 PM
bsearless is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bsearless Click here to Send bsearless a Private Message Click Here to Email bsearless Find more posts by bsearless Add bsearless to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsearless
UKC Forum Member

Like a couple have said above, don't worry as much about having everything you think a "coonhunter" will have until you go a few times and check it out. If you have a rubber / waterproof boot like Redneck Mafia said then thats just fine. If not some old work boots and an old pair of blue jeans will work for your first few trips.

The only way i would know how to meet some hunters and tag along would be the nite hunts and or join some Facebook coon hunting groups and post there like you have here.

If you do end up getting a dog after a while i would definitely try to run with some more experienced hunters for a while. Maybe try to find ya an older gentlemen thats got some dogs.. he may have an extra light and an old pair of boots you can borrow as well, an older man that loves to hunt may take ya right in if you retrieve the dog on the hard walks!

bsearlesa@gmail.com
(765) 661-2563
Mt. Etna Indiana

Old Post 12-12-2018 09:43 PM
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14
Florida=coon and hog hunters. Deer hunters too. Find a dog box in a truck at Walmart and ask him what he hunts. He will either be one or know of someone who is. I wouldn’t buy anything until you’ve actually went and experienced it. I can show you a pile of teenagers around here that bought everything and went full throttle for a couple weeks and found out it was easier to do anything else!
If you like it, you can progress from there. A lot of men would love to have a fresh pair of legs to tag along and be a good hunting partner. You might even find it easier to hunt with them occasionally and not spend every dollar you earn keeping dogs and hunting them the way they need to be!

Not too many dog boxes where I am but if I see one I figure that would be worth a try thanks

Old Post 12-12-2018 11:15 PM
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Hunts... MOH is the Master of Hounds also sometimes a Hunt Director is in charge talk to them when you get there or call the club contact before hand. You would be a spectator on a cast. A cast is a group of 4 or less dogs and their "handler" hunting together and competing against each other. There are rules regarding spectators you would need to read so that you don't interfere with the cast. You would not actually participate just walk along watch, listen and only shine trees when given permission, don't handle the dogs ect, mainly just see that your presence there does not cause you to interfere in anyway. Clubs are excellent places to meet other hunters you may find someone there that you could occasionally pleasure hunt with to learn from.
Boots, what is your terrain like? My brother-in-law is the only person I know that hunts in tennis shoes and shorts but he is crazy, there is a lady up north that hunts barefoot lol. So boots are not a necessity but do make the terrain and water much more tolerable. Most wear a rubber boot that has a chap attached. Bekinas with Badlands chaps the favorite here. Everyone has their own preference Mucks, Dan's, Quatros the list is long of different ones available but nearly all wear with the attached chaps the are briar proof, water proof and some are snake proof. Chaps are glued and attached around the ankle of a boot that is typically a regular just below the knee boot. The chap is like a sleeve that goes from ankle to thigh with snaps you hook through your belt loops.
There are some reputable dealers we could send you numbers some post on here.

Thank you! Everyone was saying go on a nite hunt and that’s what I was thinking, but I was wondering what that would actually consist of while I’m starting out. You answered that question perfectly, so thanks a bunch. Would I still be able to go with an experienced person and their hounds once I get a dog? In regard to the terrain where I am it’s mostly like swamp/wetlands, think like a tamer Everglades. But as you go more north and get into central Florida it gets less set and is more forestry with like pine flat woods and stuff. It’s all pretty flat but in central fl and north fl there’s some little hills. Most of the nite hunts are in north and central fl. How bad would it be to wear cowboy boots while I’m just starting out? I might buy a pair of mucker boots but probably won’t invest in chaps for a while.

Old Post 12-13-2018 12:07 AM
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bsearless

Thanks a bunch for responding, how hard would it be to use like cowboy boots though?

Old Post 12-13-2018 12:09 AM
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

hunt

Find u a pleasure hunter that lives to hunt.that understands your situation and wants to help u out.if you buy a hound get a made coondog for your first hound hunt hard and learn hard

Old Post 12-13-2018 12:28 AM
treedog69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog69 Click here to Send treedog69 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog69 Add treedog69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Peterhunts101
Thank you! Everyone was saying go on a nite hunt and that’s what I was thinking, but I was wondering what that would actually consist of while I’m starting out. You answered that question perfectly, so thanks a bunch. Would I still be able to go with an experienced person and their hounds once I get a dog? In regard to the terrain where I am it’s mostly like swamp/wetlands, think like a tamer Everglades. But as you go more north and get into central Florida it gets less set and is more forestry with like pine flat woods and stuff. It’s all pretty flat but in central fl and north fl there’s some little hills. Most of the nite hunts are in north and central fl. How bad would it be to wear cowboy boots while I’m just starting out? I might buy a pair of mucker boots but probably won’t invest in chaps for a while.

Cowboy boots are horrible when wet and cause blisters I'd rather wear my tennis shoes than them.
Taking your own dog on a competition hunt isn't possible unless you are a participant. You would need a dog that is registered in whatever registry whose hunt you would be entering. Nearly all you pay entry at the grounds of event . I would not recommend entering and hunting in one until you have spectated on some casts first and have some experience hunting your own dogs for a while.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-13-2018 12:39 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote