UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Red Fern
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Red Fern

How many coonhunters have actually watched the movie, "Where The Red Fern Grows"?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-11-2018 05:54 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Re: Red Fern

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
How many coonhunters have actually watched the movie, "Where The Red Fern Grows"?

ME! And that dang ghost coon still gets me 9/10 trees! I guess I'll have to find where he's going in those slick pecan trees!

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 12-11-2018 06:18 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

Re: Red Fern

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert

YES! Never knew 'they' scored plus points on multiple coon seen up 1 tree!! lol

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 12-11-2018 06:30 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

Yes I did watch it but caint again . It made me cry the 1st time . Also the redbone should have never been in the hunt knowing he was mean . I saw what he did to that poor kids blue dog .

Old Post 12-11-2018 06:57 PM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Pullen
..... Also the redbone should have never been in the hunt knowing he was mean . I saw what he did to that poor kids blue dog ......

Oh my goodness, posts like that are how a poor Redbone gets a bad reputation for being mean.

Old Post 12-11-2018 08:45 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrburneisen
UKC Forum Member

good film

yes, loved it as a kid and watched it with my kids. A whole lot of life lessons tied up in one bundle including meeting God half way (working hard for what you want in life)

Old Post 12-11-2018 08:53 PM
mrburneisen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mrburneisen Click here to Send mrburneisen a Private Message Click Here to Email mrburneisen Find more posts by mrburneisen Add mrburneisen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

All I know is what I seen. And that boy was hunting with a lantern and he never did run fast enough behind those red dogs for it to blow the fire out !!

Just sayen

Tarbaby

Old Post 12-11-2018 09:01 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness Tarbaby you and Mr Pullen, that is your takeaway from that film/ story? Can y'all not admit that Big Red Dan was a heckuva coon dog and little Billy Coleman exemplified the qualities we should all aspire to as handlers? Tarbaby, you probably laughed out loud when Little Ann died and said good riddance, another sorry Red Dog gone.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-11-2018 at 09:16 PM

Old Post 12-11-2018 09:13 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I just got home from filling up the feeders so when you turn me into a red dog man I can exemplifie the qualities of little billy myself.

And be invited to a gathering in the Winnie baygo.

Tarbaby

Old Post 12-11-2018 09:21 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Prefer the book to the movie but that's just me.
How many of you wrote a book report multiple years in school?

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-11-2018 09:30 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I watched both movies and read the book multiple times of the red fern grows. But there is a book I can't remember the author called Irish red it's the bird dog version of red fern you won't be able to put it down I got it
here somwhere I will look for it.

Tar

Old Post 12-11-2018 09:35 PM
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

Yakintar .... Santa 🎅 is watching you so be nice . He might bring you a red dog 🐕 . Richard I’m just kidding with ya bud . Happy holidays fellas .

Old Post 12-11-2018 09:36 PM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Mckinney
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Yes I did watch it but caint again . It made me cry the 1st time . Also the redbone should have never been in the hunt knowing he was mean . I saw what he did to that poor kids blue dog .
said the man that doesn’t coon hunt 😁 what’s you knows about a coon dog?

Old Post 12-11-2018 09:48 PM
Mike Mckinney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Mckinney Click here to Send Mike Mckinney a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Mckinney Find more posts by Mike Mckinney Add Mike Mckinney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mckinney
said the man that doesn’t coon hunt 😁 what’s you knows about a coon dog?
You better watch it Mckinney. You remember last time you came up here , you yankee !

Old Post 12-11-2018 09:57 PM
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

McKinney .... find me a squirrel dog ok . Mountain feist

Old Post 12-11-2018 10:03 PM
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

rfg

I watch it every so often.read the book when I was young that's what hooked me for a hound getting hooked with the meat...

Old Post 12-11-2018 10:04 PM
treedog69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog69 Click here to Send treedog69 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog69 Add treedog69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

My two favorite dog movies are ole yeller and the original where the red fern grows but I also have them in VHS and DVD and about 2 or 3 copies of each...I have the old and newer version of where red fern grows but don't care for the newer version...

Both movies kind of remind me of me and my dogs...no close neighbors and the dogs weren't kenneled nor chained...I stepped out the door and called the dogs and we were hunting...

Old Post 12-11-2018 11:10 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Read the book and watched both movies more than once.

Old Post 12-11-2018 11:45 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Man, I nearly wore the cover off that book when I was a kid. Panicked at school when they showed it in third grade because I was afraid I'd cry in front of my buddies.

Flash forward nearly three decades and my little girl counts it among her favorite books. We watched the movie exactly once, and she cried so hard and was so upset at bedtime that we may put off watching it again 'till she's got kids of her own...

Old Post 12-12-2018 12:19 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SHORN
UKC Forum Member

irish red

The author was Jim Kjelgaard he wrote a series of books about Irish setters.

Old Post 12-12-2018 02:00 AM
SHORN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SHORN Click here to Send SHORN a Private Message Find more posts by SHORN Add SHORN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I watched both movies and read the book multiple times of the red fern grows. But there is a book I can't remember the author called Irish red it's the bird dog version of red fern you won't be able to put it down I got it
here somwhere I will look for it.

Tar

Irish Red by Jim Kjelgaard

I read that and any other book he wrote that I could get my hands on growing up. He told the story from the dogs side and it was good. He had several about the Setters and some others. Great author. I think it starts with Big Red and then goes from there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=iri...me&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by Rip on 12-12-2018 at 02:18 AM

Old Post 12-12-2018 02:14 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Mckinney
UKC Forum Member

quote:
McKinney .... find me a squirrel dog ok . Mountain feist
I know a guy I will check on one.

Old Post 12-12-2018 02:40 AM
Mike Mckinney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Mckinney Click here to Send Mike Mckinney a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Mckinney Find more posts by Mike Mckinney Add Mike Mckinney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: irish red

quote:
Originally posted by SHORN
The author was Jim Kjelgaard he wrote a series of books about Irish setters.

it was Big Red and Irish Red....other good books are white fang and Call of the Wild...

Old Post 12-12-2018 11:11 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I read big red also excellent books bad weather coming might have to get them back out.

Tar

Old Post 12-12-2018 12:06 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Tar baby, This book is a nice read

https://youtu.be/P7RWVyxs_vg

Old Post 12-12-2018 12:17 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote