UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Experienced coonhunters???
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Randall Long
New UKC Forum Member

1. 14 years experience coon hunting.

2. With $3500, you should be able to go out on any given night and make 4 turnouts and see at least 3 coon not including den trees.

3. Also with a dog of that price, he should never ever run any off game. He should come out the box with nothing but getting under a coon on his mind.

4. As far as being a big hunter. My expectation of a dog of that price would be until go to as far he needed to go to get a track he can blister and be sitting under a coon.

Randall Long

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-04-2018 01:01 AM
Randall Long is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randall Long Click here to Send Randall Long a Private Message Find more posts by Randall Long Add Randall Long to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

Hey Randall. I think you and I think a lot alike. Thanks man.

Old Post 12-04-2018 01:34 AM
scott spivey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scott spivey Click here to Send scott spivey a Private Message Click Here to Email scott spivey Find more posts by scott spivey Add scott spivey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Disco inferno
UKC Forum Member

I have been hunting 46 years.

A big hunter to me is go as far as it takes to get the job done and have a coon. No matter if it's 25 yards or 3 miles, cut him or her loose and take them off the tree!

Always go to whomever is selling the dog and try it out, because their ideal of a coon dog and yours are probably different. You have to be careful, because a lot of people selling hounds are dishonest not all but a good majority.

Old Post 12-04-2018 12:24 PM
Disco inferno is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Disco inferno Click here to Send Disco inferno a Private Message Click Here to Email Disco inferno Find more posts by Disco inferno Add Disco inferno to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Scott at first I look at what an add says and then my take on checking out adds on Dogs for Sale.

Here are my red flags when reading your add. Dog that is described should be a lot more than needing any win to be a night champion. You talk about being a deep hunter alone. Most of the time you read that they hunt deep with others. I like the hunting alone part but you didn't mention OTHERS.
That makes me think that if your very honest. You didn't mention others because the dog doesn't get alone with others. The price is fine but if you do any comp hunting at all. You should be able to win that much money in a couple months with the dog as described. So why so cheap.

Me when reading an add the most important thing is knowing the man writing the add. In todays world that is easy. Good dogs don't live under a rock. Coon Hunters don't either. I have enough friends arounds the country that I can make a couple phone calls to Men I respect and get a yes or no on someones character. I did just a few minutes checking and I know you purchased a Garmin system from me back in 2012 and then another one in Feb. of this year. I know your not a fan of curl tail dogs. LOL. I also know back in 2012 you worked for a Mr. Hudson. I didn't see any money won with a real quick check on a dog in your name.
I said all that to say. The character of the man and his knowledge is more important than what is written about the dog. Because it verifies the facts on what is written. A man can write a hundred precent truth also but if hw doesn't know what a coon dog is. Well what good does the truth do. You have to find out a little about the man. If I was interested in a dog. I could make about three phone calls and know wether I should overnight you the money and have the dog hauler headed your way or forget about the dog.
Now one thing I like to see about a dog in the add is AT least the sire and dam. That info can tell me what problem the dog many have.
Sounds like you have a very nice dog and best of luck.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 12-04-2018 at 01:04 PM

Old Post 12-04-2018 01:00 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Joe. I hear you gotta nice one tied out in the backyard by the name of Preacher.

Last edited by scott spivey on 12-04-2018 at 11:57 PM

Old Post 12-04-2018 10:47 PM
scott spivey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scott spivey Click here to Send scott spivey a Private Message Click Here to Email scott spivey Find more posts by scott spivey Add scott spivey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tonyburgamy
UKC Forum Member

40 Years of hard hunting!!!! 1st Vet check 2nd one night of hunting , 3rd cut him r her off trees, and if I walk to five trees I need to see 3 coons 4th when dog is cut don’t com back I will go to it! Take a dog and leave it in the box if the dog your sale can do this I have your money !

Old Post 12-04-2018 11:08 PM
Tonyburgamy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tonyburgamy Click here to Send Tonyburgamy a Private Message Click Here to Email Tonyburgamy Find more posts by Tonyburgamy Add Tonyburgamy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback Tony. I’ve heard you’re a hard hunter and know what a coondog is.

Old Post 12-04-2018 11:45 PM
Benny Harding
UKC Forum Member

55 yrs
For $3500 you should be able to cut loose and tree a coon any night you cut loose even in the bad part of winter there should be a coon moving somewhere and this dog should find one it might be a den but he should get treed when cut loose should be able to trail a cold track and get treed or ambush one
Nothing but coon never make a bark on anything else

that’s what not trashy is

Big hunter to me means when cut i will not see this dog again till it’s sitting under a tree whether it’s 50 yrds or 2 mile
Should have at least 7-8 coon when it trees 10 times

Gr.Nt.Ch. Nightime Black Buck[R.I.P.]

Gr.Nt.Ch. Stylish Zipcode[R.I.P.]
Gr.Nt.Ch.Stylish Supreme King[R.I.P.]
Nt. Ch. Echo's Bawling Rebel
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hardwood Mt Dew
Gr.Nt. Slow Talkin Buzz(semen)

Gr.Nt. Winder's Bawling Dixie
Gr.Nt. Baugocreek Babie
Nt.Ch. Stylish Karma's A Beach
Gr.Nt.Ch. Zip Code's Stylish Babe
there's dogs that tree coon , then there are coon dogs,heart is what seperates them

Last edited by Benny Harding on 12-05-2018 at 01:18 AM

Old Post 12-05-2018 01:16 AM
Benny Harding is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Benny Harding Click here to Send Benny Harding a Private Message Click Here to Email Benny Harding Visit Benny Harding's homepage! Find more posts by Benny Harding Add Benny Harding to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Mr. Benny. Your 55yrs. Experience shows in your answer.

Old Post 12-05-2018 01:24 AM
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the responses thus far. A lot of good, honest feedback and I certainly appreciate it. The original intent of my post was to determine what you would expect to see ability wise based your own personal experiences. Then answer the four questions describing the hound in the ad.
1.How many yrs. experience do you have???
2.How many times would you turn this dog loose and expect to get him off a tree with a coon in it???
3. Would you expect him to be straight/ broke/ no off game??
4. What would be your expections of BIG HUNTER ALONE- (by himself with no other dogs present)
and after you’ve anwered the four questions I welcome your feedback.
Example:
1. 45yrs experience.
2. Should be able to cut him 4 or 5 times and look at 3-4 single coon.
3. Should only run and tree coons. No off game.
4. When you turn him loose he should go as far as needed to get treed . 2ft. Or 2 miles.
Then here is where you would write your feedback, opinions and your own experiences that you’ve had buying, selling, and trying dogs. After you’ve answered the questions.. The answering of the four questions is helpful in giving me the context of your expectations. I’m finding as I read you guys responses that this post with all the helpful information would make a good owners manual on the do’s and don’ts of how to buy a good hound. Thanks for the responses and keep em coming.

Last edited by scott spivey on 12-05-2018 at 02:55 PM

Old Post 12-05-2018 05:14 AM
Pak1971
Banned

if I see a add like that I know someone is full of crap or the dog has a big hole somewhere. I mean that good and not a ntch at 5? I can hear the excuses now. 25 years, go till he gets treed every drop, I expect him to show me 3 coon in every 4 trees on average, and I know soon as you say one is 100 percent broke, he will prove you wrong.

Last edited by Pak1971 on 12-05-2018 at 03:01 PM

Old Post 12-05-2018 02:55 PM
Pak1971 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pak1971 Click here to Send Pak1971 a Private Message Find more posts by Pak1971 Add Pak1971 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stacypcg@ymail.
New UKC Forum Member

1.Been hunting for 30 plus years,
2. I would turn him loose at least 3 times and would expect to see a coon on every drop or at least tree where I feel like a coon would be.
This 70% to 80% percent accurate people are satisfied with is not a dog priced like this dog.If you say the dog is accurate then he should show it.
3.The dog would have to be 100% broke on off game period.
4.Far as a big hunter alone,a dog like this should never look back when turned out.He should go and get it done with or with out any help.

Old Post 12-05-2018 03:28 PM
stacypcg@ymail. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stacypcg@ymail. Click here to Send stacypcg@ymail. a Private Message Click Here to Email stacypcg@ymail. Find more posts by stacypcg@ymail. Add stacypcg@ymail. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pak1971
Banned

Everyone can argue and have differnt opinion but your not gonna have a 100 percent accurate dog.

Old Post 12-05-2018 04:29 PM
Pak1971 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pak1971 Click here to Send Pak1971 a Private Message Find more posts by Pak1971 Add Pak1971 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

Stacypcg- Good post and that’s the feedback I’m looking for. I think you and I are thinking along the same line.
Pak1971- I think the majority of us on this site have had an experience or 2 similar to what you’ve described in your answer. Although you didn’t answer the 4 questions I appreciate your feedback. Thanks

Old Post 12-05-2018 08:04 PM
Pak1971
Banned

I touched on all 4 you ask, maybe I just didnt word it like you wanted. I did it the way I wanted. Just like someone writing a add.

Old Post 12-05-2018 08:36 PM
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

50+ yrs.

3 turns, alone, off a tree and with another dog.

I would expect it to tree every time turned.

I would need to see a coon when it trees. I understand the night, overall coon population etc. Play a factor and none are perfect.

Big hunting...pull it off a tree. But it has to hunt just not blow in every time THERE IS A DIFFERENCE

In the ad put as much info as possible so you eliminate a few of the basic question ...pedigree, babble, kennel quiet, thyroid etc.

I have found over the years unless owner doesn't associate with others much a good one rarely needs advertised.

Old Post 12-05-2018 08:57 PM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stacypcg@ymail.
New UKC Forum Member

Just so i'm clear on my response about a dog being accurate.A dog for this price should have the coon or a den tree or something similar to me believing that the track has ended. No dog is 100% accurate,but what i've seen over the years is people accepting these quick to tree tree dogs that are treeing up on everything in the woods and still winning hunts without plus points. The old style dogs very seldom missed. The old timey hunters know what i'm talking about and the young bucks will only dream about it.

Old Post 12-05-2018 09:29 PM
stacypcg@ymail. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stacypcg@ymail. Click here to Send stacypcg@ymail. a Private Message Click Here to Email stacypcg@ymail. Find more posts by stacypcg@ymail. Add stacypcg@ymail. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

My bad Pak1971. I went back and read your response again slowly and I now see that you did answer the 4 questions perfectly. I missed it. I guess you could say I was about 60-70% accurate on your post.😊. Don’t hold it against me, I did have to ride the short bus the whole 3 yrs. I went to school. Good stuff and I whole heartedly agree with a dog making a man eat crow on occasion. Thanks for your insight.

Old Post 12-06-2018 12:50 AM
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Mr. Harold. Good post. In regards to the rest of your post Bruce Conkey made similar comments as you did in his response. There’s more to come. Thanks and Stay tuned......
Stacypcg- A lot of truth in your comment.

Old Post 12-06-2018 01:11 AM
Pak1971
Banned

I was just messing. Long day lol

Old Post 12-06-2018 02:51 AM
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

No worries Pak1971.

Old Post 12-07-2018 03:09 AM
DOGTIRED
New UKC Forum Member

1.46 yrs. experience
2.Your ad states 85% accurate. I would expect a dog as this ad describes ‘Real coondog and dogs like this are seldom ever for sale’ to get treed somewhere around 99-100% of the times he’s cut loose. This is what that math looks like- 7 trees 6 coon-20 trees 17 coon- 60 trees 51 coon- 100 trees 85 coon. That’s simple math and how 85% accurate really breaks down. Not counting den trees etc.
3. As for him being broke/straight/ no off game. I dont see how with all the coontreeing he’ll have to be doing to make the math work where he’d have time to be anything but broke/straight/ no off game.
4.Big Hunter Alone- I can cut him loose here by himself and he goes hunting and gets treed “there’. The ‘there’ would be as far as it takes by himself to get treed. When he does get to ‘there’ the math will be ‘there’ waiting on him.
If you ever do sell this mathematical genius I’d like a shot at owning him provided that you’ll gurantee it in writing that he’ll stand up to your math. I’d rather own him than have one of my hunting buddies wind up hunting him in my territory.😀

Last edited by DOGTIRED on 12-08-2018 at 02:38 AM

Old Post 12-08-2018 01:35 AM
DOGTIRED is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DOGTIRED Click here to Send DOGTIRED a Private Message Find more posts by DOGTIRED Add DOGTIRED to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Well said Dogtired.

Old Post 12-08-2018 01:51 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

The blue ribbon may have just been passed on to Dogtired. Math never was one my favorites or bestest subjects. English was. Good post.
I’m looking for about 10 more good thought provoking posts on this thread and then it’ll be Paul Harvey time. ‘The rest of the story!!!’

Old Post 12-08-2018 07:47 PM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Someone wit experience with hounds should be able to tell if there interested in seeing more out of the dog after he’s.cut one time. As far as being 85-90% accurate I don’t see it. A dog may be able to keep that average for a while but I don’t see keeping that average for a year. An exceptional hound would be 70-75% accurate for a year and that is being generous on the percentage. I’m not saying you don’t have a nice hound because I xdont know. As has been state before a big hunting dog should get treed somewhere. If I have no knowledge of a dog or seller I want to try. I will try and find someone from the area hat I know and call and ask about the seller and the dog. That may save a lot of money and time going to look at a dog that won’t suit me. Good luck in selling your dog.

Old Post 12-08-2018 10:22 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote