UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Real Mountainmen
Pages (6): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

More than welcome skeets !!

See if this works .

http://photos.legendsofamerica.com/...704c5#h121704c5

http://photos.legendsofamerica.com/...c7e20#h252c7e20

Gold Life member of G.P.A.A. #257936
Member of The Lost Dutchman's Mining Association #02890729

Last edited by chuck west on 10-20-2014 at 11:57 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-20-2014 11:53 PM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by chuck west
Here is a link to look at stories of just about anyone who lived in that era .

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-explorerindex.html

Need to keep nearby for referencing back to .

Old Post 10-21-2014 12:23 AM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeets
UKC Forum Member

thats some good reading,and i really like the picture of the buffalo hunt. i would give my eye tooth to been able bear hunt with davey crockett back in the days. i read a book he wrote when i was in high school, he said in one year he killed a 100 bear and believe it or not they was slick treeing dogs back then and what he did when the dogs treed slick he would load his rife with buckshot and burn their rear ends.who am i to say that wouldnt work,heck hes davey crockett.lol

Old Post 10-21-2014 10:06 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

How about we try Old Jedediah Smith on for size ,lol

http://www.thefurtrapper.com/jedediah_Smith.htm

Old Post 10-23-2014 01:40 AM
skeets
UKC Forum Member

thank you chuck,ole jedediah had to be the tougest guy on the plantet liveing thru that bear attack. i read a book on dan morgan years ago and if i remember right he knew jedediah smith when he was young.

Old Post 10-23-2014 10:27 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Here's another pic you may like skeets .

http://photos.legendsofamerica.com/...d2e16#h529d2e16

Old Post 10-24-2014 02:44 AM
cameronk
UKC Forum Member

Jedidiah Smith was quite the explorer and Mountain Man. Imagine what some of that country must have looked like when guys like Smith, Jim Bridger, Jim Beckwourth, or any other Mountain Man first laid eyes on it.

Old Post 10-24-2014 03:25 AM
cameronk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cameronk Click here to Send cameronk a Private Message Click Here to Email cameronk Find more posts by cameronk Add cameronk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeets
UKC Forum Member

heck yeal i like that picture,thank you chuck.cameronk i would have like to seen this country 200 years ago,no cars and all the hunting ground a fellow could want.

Old Post 10-24-2014 09:13 AM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Skeets there is some "natural grasslands " out west of me I'll try to post some pics of .

Old Post 10-24-2014 02:51 PM
skeets
UKC Forum Member

thank you chuck i would like to see them. the indians used to let there horses graze on a grass they called greasy grass,i dont know what that is but it supposed to really fatting a horse up.it might be called something different now,when i lived on the mtn. there was some grass that looked like it was dipped in grease i always wonder if that was greasy grass.

Old Post 10-25-2014 07:36 AM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Here's the pic of the prairie grasslands skeet , I read somewhere they restocked buffalo on this reserved ground .

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/im...llinois-usa.jpg

Old Post 10-25-2014 07:00 PM
skeets
UKC Forum Member

thank you for the picture chuck,thats some pretty country out that way and it looks like it could feed a lot of buffalo.

Old Post 10-26-2014 08:42 AM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Skeets , here is the buffalo project . I've not been out there for a couple years , but if they fence the entire site that will be a major undertaking ! When I was there all it was a maze of paths through the grasslands for bird/game watching ,,NO HUNTING or FISHING allowed, all you could do was hike and take pictures . But they got a lot ground , not only here but in other states,,, a lot of rich tree huggers in my book.

http://www.nachusagrasslands.org/Bison/Bison_TOC.html

Old Post 10-27-2014 01:03 PM
skeets
UKC Forum Member

thank you chuck.that would be a heck of a job to fence all that in,but iam sure ted turner has a finger in the pie and he can afford it.ive read that back couple hundred years ago that the buffalo heards were 50 miles wide and 150 miles long and if someone was looking at the heard a great distance away it look like a big carpet going across the land.

Old Post 10-28-2014 05:53 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

OL Jim Bridger was kind of a ornery lookin character .

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/pho...bridger-500.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bridger

Last edited by chuck west on 10-29-2014 at 04:06 AM

Old Post 10-29-2014 04:03 AM
skeets
UKC Forum Member

thank you chuck.

Old Post 10-29-2014 10:24 AM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Kit Carson is a familiar name to us all .

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/nm-kitcarson.html

Old Post 10-30-2014 04:27 PM
skeets
UKC Forum Member

good un.

Old Post 11-01-2014 08:27 AM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

This is a long read with a lot of pictures/drawings ,hope everyone likes it .

http://www.thefurtrapper.com/Walker_Joseph.htm

Old Post 11-23-2014 03:36 PM
skeets
UKC Forum Member

thank you mr.chuck,i liked those pictures,right now iam about asleep so ill red it tomorrow.

Old Post 11-24-2014 10:32 AM
Jeff Ashmore
UKC Forum Member

I liked It.

Thanks Chuck that was very good.

Jeff

Old Post 11-24-2014 04:05 PM
Jeff Ashmore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Ashmore Click here to Send Jeff Ashmore a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Ashmore Find more posts by Jeff Ashmore Add Jeff Ashmore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

Chuck that Walker story shows just how much we've changed,if peta were around w/ the hold they have now,them boys would never see the light of day w/ all the hides they traded. Of coarse peta might of been of the hide list

Old Post 11-24-2014 10:11 PM
bigtimberkennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigtimberkennel Click here to Send bigtimberkennel a Private Message Find more posts by bigtimberkennel Add bigtimberkennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Thumbs up

TD ,that whole bunch needs stretched in my opinion .

Old Post 11-24-2014 10:59 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Here is another good read ,since bad weather has some us cooped up might as well have a good read . Long one with pics .

http://www.thefurtrapper.com/Mounta...htm#Statistical Review

Old Post 11-24-2014 11:05 PM
skeets
UKC Forum Member

thank you chuck,had to put on my over coat to look at them pictures.

Old Post 11-25-2014 08:59 AM