UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hot nose vs. Cold nose
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

I dont think nose makes much difference, just about any dog of any breed has enough nose to track a coon. They are stinky little critters and they travel close to the ground.

Where the difference comes in is whatever connects the nose to the brain and the desire to get the job done. I believe a dog that you would consider a hot nosed dog in one area might be a coldnosed dg in a diferent area. The dog im hunting now is the perfect example, most would consider her a hot nosed dog because she never screws with an old track and when she opens she is usually treed withi 10 minutes, she covers alot of ground and has figured out what works in my area with alot of coon. BUT i have also seen this same dog wind a layup off the lead 300 yards across a cornfield and drift into that tree and lockup so is she cold nosed or hot nosed?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-02-2010 01:37 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jerry Moll
UKC Forum Member

How efficiently a hound gets their tracks to the correct tree is far more important to me than trying to determine if the dog has a so called “cold nose” or “hot nose”. I love a dog that will RUN a track hot or cold, but I can’t and won’t tolerate a ground pounder.

Old Post 07-02-2010 01:44 PM
Jerry Moll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry Moll Click here to Send Jerry Moll a Private Message Click Here to Email Jerry Moll Visit Jerry Moll's homepage! Find more posts by Jerry Moll Add Jerry Moll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CWS
Banned

You mean them "cold" nosed dogs Jerry

Old Post 07-02-2010 01:46 PM
CWS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CWS Click here to Send CWS a Private Message Find more posts by CWS Add CWS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jackbob42
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by john Duemmer
........ when she opens she is usually treed withi 10 minutes, she covers alot of ground and has figured out what works in my area with alot of coon. BUT i have also seen this same dog wind a layup off the lead 300 yards across a cornfield and drift into that tree and lockup so is she cold nosed or hot nosed?

What's the difference between running a "hot" track and smelling scent coming straight from the coon?
Just because a dog can wind a coon from a distance doesn't mean it has a cold nose. LOL
Or , maybe it does. Maybe I don't know the difference. LOL

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Old Post 07-02-2010 01:57 PM
jackbob42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackbob42 Click here to Send jackbob42 a Private Message Find more posts by jackbob42 Add jackbob42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CWS
Banned

I don't believe in old bad tracks and I can't tolerate dogs that try to "run"////"trail" these bad tracks.

If a dog doesn't have enough sense not start something it can't handle I can't waste my time hunting it.

A good 20 minute race is okay every now and then but if it happens once a night I will be owning something else.

John, youre dog sounds like a dog for me lol

It's not that said "hot" nosed dogs can't run those old bad tracks, many of them just have got the sense to go on!

Last edited by CWS on 07-02-2010 at 02:00 PM

Old Post 07-02-2010 01:58 PM
CWS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CWS Click here to Send CWS a Private Message Find more posts by CWS Add CWS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Moll
but I can’t and won’t tolerate a ground pounder.

This is More a Undesirable Trait then a Indication of a "Cold Nose"

But they must be able to track over Bare Rock in low humidity Areas of the US which can be a rather Slow moving Experience .

But not in a Green and Rich Enviroment !!

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Last edited by Majestic Tree H on 07-02-2010 at 03:25 PM

Old Post 07-02-2010 02:08 PM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jackbob42
This statement about a cold-nosed dog treeing coon in the winter time (and a hot-nosed dog can't) makes me believe about 90% of the coonhunters out there don't know the difference between the two. LOL

Bob,

I have felt my dog's noses in January and they are usually cold.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 07-02-2010 03:20 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluedogman
UKC Forum Member

Yeah I always like mine to have cold-to-the-touch noses too.

Old Post 07-02-2010 03:38 PM
Bluedogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bluedogman Click here to Send Bluedogman a Private Message Find more posts by Bluedogman Add Bluedogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

Iwant a dog to take a track he can tree in one to two minutes.- want him to open on every track he crosses on his way to the hot one. I don't care how far he has to go. I have a truck and tracker. Probably won't be near as far as my deer dogs anyway.

Old Post 07-02-2010 04:17 PM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jackbob42
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
Bob,

I have felt my dog's noses in January and they are usually cold.

LOL

It just cracks me up Larry when people think you can't tree coon with a hot-nosed dog in the winter. LOL
They think that just because their dog treed a coon in the snow that it just has to be a cold-nosed dog. LOL
They just can't seem to figure out that air temp does not determine whether a dog is cold-nosed or not.

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Old Post 07-02-2010 04:36 PM
jackbob42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackbob42 Click here to Send jackbob42 a Private Message Find more posts by jackbob42 Add jackbob42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justin Smith
Banned

A dog gets 99% of his information about coon from his nose ... you can't have too much nose .

The right combination of nose , brains and drive never comes across as being " cold " or " hot" .... you just have this consistant coon treeing dog that doesn't take a back seat to anyone.

All things being equal .. the best nose wins .

Old Post 07-02-2010 04:37 PM
Justin Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justin Smith Click here to Send Justin Smith a Private Message Find more posts by Justin Smith Add Justin Smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
notanuf347
UKC Forum Member

I dont think its alot of differance in the nose as to how its trained. What i call a bucket dog dont like cold tracks and will look for a hotter track as a dog that dont see bucket coons will most of the time take the firt one hot or cold it comes across.

Old Post 07-03-2010 02:02 AM
notanuf347 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for notanuf347 Click here to Send notanuf347 a Private Message Find more posts by notanuf347 Add notanuf347 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VA.REB
UKC Forum Member

ALL THREE

IT TAKES ALL 3. BRAINS. DESIRE. NOSE. GOD BLESS YALL ALL.

Old Post 07-03-2010 11:55 AM
VA.REB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VA.REB Click here to Send VA.REB a Private Message Click Here to Email VA.REB Visit VA.REB's homepage! Find more posts by VA.REB Add VA.REB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

Hounds

Takes the whole package,but cold nose without a doubt, when you get one you will understand they will produce and tree game in circles around good hounds

Old Post 09-13-2020 10:48 PM
treedog69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog69 Click here to Send treedog69 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog69 Add treedog69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

It’s Genetics...

First... Years back while hunting I saw a baby bird on the ground full of fire ants...I looked directly up and saw the nest about 10 feet off the ground and about 15 to 18 ft if measuring from tree trunk to location of nest...the fire ants had somehow found the nest and were all over another baby bird in the nest...that is pretty amazing locating abilities...

I believe a dogs nose can be pretty cold but it depends on the brain...the dog can smell the coon but the communications between nose and brain will or won’t trigger a response...and that is genetics at work...

I like a cold nosed dog that likes hot to medium tracks...on a hot track I want that dog running the track pretty fast with his head up looking for the game as he’s running the track...

I do not want a hot nosed dog if I can help it...they seem to exert more energy working some tracks...

Old Post 09-13-2020 11:55 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I think some people are confused between "nose" and tracking ability.

Old Post 09-14-2020 12:17 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald Bergeron

I think you are right, I have seen cold nosed dogs run to catch a cold track and hot nosed dogs beat s track to death. Nose alone does NOT make a good track dog, it takes BRAINS as well. Dave

Old Post 09-14-2020 12:37 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coal295
UKC Forum Member

Cold nose

Had a black and tan male that my Father went up and bought from Tam Young. Dogs name was Willie and I will probably never hunt with one as good as him. Cold nosed and could drift a track. He would be struck and have coons treed before other good or average hounds knew what was happening. He would seem to pull coons out of thin air. Brains and a cold nose- not a cold nose that beats around all night but a cold nose that runs a cold track to catch- and accurate!!!! I would give anything to have another like him!!!!

Old Post 09-14-2020 12:58 AM
Coal295 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Coal295 Click here to Send Coal295 a Private Message Click Here to Email Coal295 Find more posts by Coal295 Add Coal295 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Coal295

Now that's the kind of cold nosed dog that makes believers out of folks who have not witnessed one with that kind of ability. I love a cold nosed track dog that can run a cold track like a hot track and have the coons when they park. Dave

Old Post 09-14-2020 01:03 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Having a good nose is part of tracking ability...it is genetics...quick track locating ability has to do with brain, desire and good nose which are all genetics...and probably many other minor details included...

The ability to locate the tree quickly has to do with brains and nose which are a part of genetics, again probably other traits involved as well...While some dogs are working the track a dog with a good nose with the right brain inclination can make it look easy...cut, slash and drift and find the hot end of the tracks ahead of the other dogs...I don’t believe this dog could perform like this without a good nose...

When we say tracking ability...it probably can mean different things to different dog folks...

Old Post 09-14-2020 01:11 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coal295
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coal295

Dave Richards that dog I was talking about above sure does make it hard on you when they are gone. I dont know that I will ever have another like him. Coon are thin here in the mountains of western NC and he made it look easy every night. I feel like I was super lucky to experience him but he has also made me hard to please I guess because I know just how good a dog can be. He was a once in a lifetime hound im afraid.

Old Post 09-14-2020 04:25 AM
Coal295 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Coal295 Click here to Send Coal295 a Private Message Click Here to Email Coal295 Find more posts by Coal295 Add Coal295 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Coal295

I know the feeling, I have been blessed to have owned 3 dogs in my lifetime that showed me what a coon dog was supposed to be. Dogs like that are few and far between and definitely spoil a man. Dave

Old Post 09-14-2020 06:42 AM
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Cold vs Hot

BALANCE....We all want a dog that can tree a coon in a lot of different conditions. I am 51 and I have owned two that I could say were balanced hounds. First one was a Flag bred male in the eighties and the last one which died last week was a track man female...They both did not screw with anything they could not move and just had the ability to tree coons every night....any time of the year....Hard to find a balanced hound these days...

Old Post 09-14-2020 04:02 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BAS
UKC Forum Member

One Issue

One issue with some dogs (a lot of dogs) do not have the woods time to fully develop into a COON DOG. Some folks get a pup out of old GR NT So & SO x GR NT SO & SO and think they should be a coon treeing machines. They are 1 or 2 years old and they hunt them once a week during kill season only and wonder why they are not a coon dog like their sire and dam. Do not get me wrong i do not think this is always the case but it happens more then some wants to believe. They have the breeding and ability but does not get a true chance. They get out in the woods and opens on a track they cannot handle due to experience and the next thing you know he is a"cold nose idiot." A good experience Coon dog knows where to find coons.
BUT i do agree that some dogs do not have the brains or desire to figure it out no matter how much time they spend in the woods.
If a dog is not given this chance it is hard to make a call on what he is. I will cull one in a heart beat once I have given him the chance.
I have seen some start early and peak at 2 years old and I seen some start slow and be the best dog at 2.5 years old.

In conclusion i believe it is about brains, desire, drive and experience more so then hot or cold nose.

Last edited by BAS on 09-14-2020 at 05:10 PM

Old Post 09-14-2020 05:07 PM
BAS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BAS Click here to Send BAS a Private Message Click Here to Email BAS Find more posts by BAS Add BAS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Cold nose

quote:
Originally posted by Coal295
Had a black and tan male that my Father went up and bought from Tam Young. Dogs name was Willie and I will probably never hunt with one as good as him. Cold nosed and could drift a track. He would be struck and have coons treed before other good or average hounds knew what was happening. He would seem to pull coons out of thin air. Brains and a cold nose- not a cold nose that beats around all night but a cold nose that runs a cold track to catch- and accurate!!!! I would give anything to have another like him!!!!

I’ve had some good ones...but only one like the dog you described...Finding the hot end of a feeder track was like running an easy track...in no time flat he was running the hot end while the other dogs were trying to figure out the track...he also had the brain power I never seen before or after...

Old Post 09-14-2020 05:37 PM