UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hot nose vs. Cold nose
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Time

Thats a valid point. In the eighties I was young and we could only afford one dog at a time. Ole Buck hunted every night alone for years. When he was 7 we had killed close to 1,000 coons. I knew this cause I paid for my first truck with the hides...He did not need any help old track or hot or layup. I would give a lot of money for a hound like that now...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-14-2020 06:51 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Re: ALL THREE

quote:
Originally posted by VA.REB
IT TAKES ALL 3. BRAINS. DESIRE. NOSE. GOD BLESS YALL ALL.

Still hasn't changed and its genetics.

Old Post 09-14-2020 07:51 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ken Risley

You Sir. have definitely got some very nice coons dogs with some top genetics. You definitely know what a coons dog is. Dave

Old Post 09-14-2020 08:01 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matt Stokes
UKC Forum Member

Just my opinion, (just to tree the most coons), If you have lots of hunting spots and can move around all night, I would rather have a hot nose dog that handles good. If you only have a few hunting spots (and lots of hunters only have a few good spots these days). I would rather have a dog that will try to work a colder track, (they can also tree hot coons too). Be great to have a dog that does both well, good luck finding one but they are out there.

Old Post 09-15-2020 06:29 PM
Matt Stokes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt Stokes Click here to Send Matt Stokes a Private Message Click Here to Email Matt Stokes Find more posts by Matt Stokes Add Matt Stokes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

It seems like this question is a black hole. What is a cold nose anyway? A cold track has so many variables that go into making it “cold”. Moisture, temperature, barometric pressure, cloud coverage, type of soil, etc. where I hunt in the summer a 1-2 hour track is a “cold track” fast forward 6 months into the winter and 10-12 hours is doable. There’s a difference in being cold nosed, and just being slow. I’ve seen dogs run a cold track like they were looking at it and most people would think it was a hot track, and I’ve seen one mans “cold dog” take 30 minutes to tree a 10 minute track. It’s all about perspective and the eye of the beholder. Is a hot nosed dog smart, or just lazy? If all dogs have the same nose then is it a fault for a hound to run over 10 tracks to get to a red hot one it can tree. Or is the dog that takes the first track it hits the one at fault? There are so many variables and situational differences in this topic that I believe it all boils down to hunt what suits you, and applaud another man for doin the same. If you feel your dog is earning his feed, and so does the next man... then why worry? I am a bear hunter first and a coon hunter second, so most of my track condition experience is coming from seeing a bear and coming back, or finding a track in the snow and coming back. I personally don’t think all dogs have the same nose because out of my top 4 they all want nothing more than to get black fur in their mouth, yet I can try them 1 by 1 on a snow track from hottest to coldest and see who can take it. If they all had the same nose, then anybody would start it cause I can vouch that they all have the same drive. But just like everything else I’ve said here this is all my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like...

Old Post 09-17-2020 06:22 PM
5thgearwide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thgearwide Click here to Send 5thgearwide a Private Message Find more posts by 5thgearwide Add 5thgearwide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

5thgearwide

I liked your post, it was well thought out, I tend to agree with every thing you said in your post. Some opinions are worth listening to and yours is one of them. Dave

Old Post 09-17-2020 07:58 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote