UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coonhounds or Competition Winners
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Coonhounds or Competition Winners

Are the deep and alone competition winners of today real coonhounds? Is the hot nosed, run through the country wide open until they run up on a hot track and just tree dog that all of the comp hunters are looking for a real coon dog?

A friend of mine said that since they are "winners", they are the best type of coon dog.

Are comp hunts set up to reward the best real coondog? Is the dog that trees the most coons really the best "coondog"? Or is the dog that has a good nose, takes the first track that they come to, trails it up and trees it the best coondog?

Just what is a "real coondog"?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-13-2019 02:16 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Richard IF I was able to answer that for five people. There would be 5 different answers.

Because of what you said. What is a real Coondog.

Everyone has their opinion. It depends on what your looking to accomplish with your hounds.

I have a female our there that hasn't been hunted in a year. Last Saturday a friend wanted to take his Son and go tree a coon to try and excite a couple pups. He called to borrow her and I said he may be disappointed in the results. Few hours later he sent a picture of the coon she treed. She is real enough for me. But probably not real enough for others.

What is a real stock car race. The ones Saturday or Sunday or on Friday night at you local track. All are real to those that choose to play the game. They just bring or choose to support a different type car depending on what day they are racing.

Same with coonhounds but no one wants to admit it. All events allow the same dogs. Just different entry fees and some minor rule differences that might allow one dog geared a little different from another dog to win.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 12-13-2019 at 03:14 PM

Old Post 12-13-2019 02:34 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tpettit
UKC Forum Member

I think if a dog gets turned loose and trees a coon by bush wacking one 3/4 mile in or by straddling a track and walking it out 200 yards is a coon dog! Its the style of coon dog that is different. Consistency is the key and being the best at your style is important as to what time of year you wanna go to a comp hunt. Just my opinion.

Old Post 12-13-2019 03:11 PM
tpettit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tpettit Click here to Send tpettit a Private Message Click Here to Email tpettit Find more posts by tpettit Add tpettit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Richard this is my opinion and only mine but if I have a dog that truly suits me as a pleasure hunting dog, if he does the things I like a dog to do, I believe he will do very well in the hunts. The main difference would be how far he hunts. I don't want a dog to go a mile or more to find a coon but most competition guys don't want them to ever come back. The dog that won't come back is not a pleasure to hunt for me.

Old Post 12-13-2019 03:18 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Not even a week ago folks were talking about crossbred coondogs...someone mentioned bird dog x hound and English pointer was mentioned as well as German short hair pointer...

Seems everyone said GSP would be best and the English pointer would be too high strung...

The difference as I see it is the the English pointer is what it is today because of competition hunting...

The GSP was bred and tested to meet a hunting standard...which in my opinion produces a superior dog that is more of a pleasure to hunt...it is likely the standard was written by folks who new how a top bird dog should hunt and operate...

Old Post 12-13-2019 03:42 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Coonhounds or Competition Winners

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Are the deep and alone competition winners of today real coonhounds? Is the hot nosed, run through the country wide open until they run up on a hot track and just tree dog that all of the comp hunters are looking for a real coon dog?

A friend of mine said that since they are "winners", they are the best type of coon dog.

Are comp hunts set up to reward the best real coondog? Is the dog that trees the most coons really the best "coondog"? Or is the dog that has a good nose, takes the first track that they come to, trails it up and trees it the best coondog?

Richard if you think that all these that are consistently winning hunts are just run wide open go deep before they tree a hot pop up you my dear are sadly mistaken and have been deceived.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-13-2019 03:44 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Coondog

A dog that has coons in its trees is a coondog. All the in between is just preference.

Old Post 12-13-2019 05:01 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coonhounds or Competition Winners

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert

I think these thoughts have gone through many coon hunters minds...

The deep and alone...

In analyzing the deep and alone...we need data to analyze correctly...look and study one hundred deep and alone dogs...if 90 out of 100 deep and alone dogs are top coon dogs then so be it...

If only ten are excellent coon dogs and 90 are culls then there is a problem...what confuses the data are those 10 deep and alone dogs that win a competition...folks that aren’t looking at the real data are wanting that 1 in ten dog...

There are many times when most everyone is in agreement about a certain trait and someone comes up with the total opposite idea and is really pushing that one hit wonder...and this will mess up the right answer...correct data collection is very powerful...the more data collected and analyzed creates better outcomes for accuracy...

Old Post 12-13-2019 05:01 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
Not even a week ago folks were talking about crossbred coondogs...someone mentioned bird dog x hound and English pointer was mentioned as well as German short hair pointer...

Seems everyone said GSP would be best and the English pointer would be too high strung...

The difference as I see it is the the English pointer is what it is today because of competition hunting...

The GSP was bred and tested to meet a hunting standard...which in my opinion produces a superior dog that is more of a pleasure to hunt...it is likely the standard was written by folks who new how a top bird dog should hunt and operate...

There's a huge flaw currently with GSP's. And that flaw is they're becoming the Golden Retriever, or the Irish Setter or the Gordon Setter. They're being over bred by people that don't hunt a lick, (show dog & lap dog owners). It's very noticeable if you've been around a bunch of hunting stock and then around the other. There still is great GSP's out there but not all are even close to meeting the German standards. And the German stock (Deutsch Kurzhaar) are bigger framed dogs on average because of the fur part that they're used on. You can register any Kurzhaar as a GSP but the other way around. Just like a German Wirehair Pointer vs the Drahthaar, you can register the draht as a GWP but the other way.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-13-2019 05:27 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
There's a huge flaw currently with GSP's. And that flaw is they're becoming the Golden Retriever, or the Irish Setter or the Gordon Setter. They're being over bred by people that don't hunt a lick, (show dog & lap dog owners). It's very noticeable if you've been around a bunch of hunting stock and then around the other. There still is great GSP's out there but not all are even close to meeting the German standards. And the German stock (Deutsch Kurzhaar) are bigger framed dogs on average because of the fur part that they're used on. You can register any Kurzhaar as a GSP but the other way around. Just like a German Wirehair Pointer vs the Drahthaar, you can register the draht as a GWP but the other way.

Well said Eric. I agree.

Old Post 12-13-2019 05:57 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Especially in AKC...many breeds become popular and they are only bred for the show ring...used to be many commercials using GSP and I am sure that doesn’t help a bred that becomes well known...everyone wants a pet...

Years ago there were articles about hunting strains of bird dogs as compared to AKC show dogs using golden retriever, Irish and English setters...

The AKC bird dogs lacking in hunting traits, they had long narrow heads lacking in brain power, extremely long hair which wasn’t useful on the hunt...narrow chest and rib cage which was not appropriate for a dog that needed lung capacity...

The hunting strains had shorter hair...wider heads, a sturdier dog with strong loins and greater lung capacity...

Old Post 12-13-2019 07:58 PM
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

A coon dog should be the one that trees the most coon.. jmo

Old Post 12-13-2019 08:09 PM
arkansas cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arkansas cooner Click here to Send arkansas cooner a Private Message Click Here to Email arkansas cooner Find more posts by arkansas cooner Add arkansas cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

A coon dog should be the one that trees the most coon.. jmo

Old Post 12-13-2019 08:09 PM
arkansas cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arkansas cooner Click here to Send arkansas cooner a Private Message Click Here to Email arkansas cooner Find more posts by arkansas cooner Add arkansas cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Richard this is my opinion and only mine but if I have a dog that truly suits me as a pleasure hunting dog, if he does the things I like a dog to do, I believe he will do very well in the hunts. The main difference would be how far he hunts. I don't want a dog to go a mile or more to find a coon but most competition guys don't want them to ever come back. The dog that won't come back is not a pleasure to hunt for me. [/QUOTE

I need to change "most competition guys" to "many competition guys". As I reread this I realized that most was not correct but I read ads that say "no reverse" as a good thing but to me it's a bad thing. Just a difference in what each person wants.

Old Post 12-13-2019 08:39 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

My truck doesn't back up until I put it in reverse. My dog is the same way.

Old Post 12-13-2019 09:52 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc

👍 giving you the quote of the day award!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-13-2019 09:58 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Richard this is my opinion and only mine but if I have a dog that truly suits me as a pleasure hunting dog, if he does the things I like a dog to do, I believe he will do very well in the hunts. The main difference would be how far he hunts. I don't want a dog to go a mile or more to find a coon but most competition guys don't want them to ever come back. The dog that won't come back is not a pleasure to hunt for me. [/QUOTE

I need to change "most competition guys" to "many competition guys". As I reread this I realized that most was not correct but I read ads that say "no reverse" as a good thing but to me it's a bad thing. Just a difference in what each person wants.

Here's my opinion on that, I want a dog to hunt. I'm not big on getting scratched for non-hunting dog. But I like 1 that will hunt out to say 500-900 yards and come back by. But it keeps hunting and goes further the next loop or swing. Reason I like this is because it can save your legs and a bunch of grief in the long run. Is it a deal breaker for me to not have this..... No. But I will not hunt a dog that has hardly no range to it.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-13-2019 10:03 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tntelkhntr
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coondog

quote:
Originally posted by AAThoundhunter
A dog that has coons in its trees is a coondog. All the in between is just preference.

This is the exact answer!

Old Post 12-13-2019 10:17 PM
tntelkhntr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tntelkhntr Click here to Send tntelkhntr a Private Message Find more posts by tntelkhntr Add tntelkhntr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I am not talking about hunting or not hunting and I am not talking about no reverse. Some true coonhounds have no reverse. I am talking about hot nosed, blast through the country until they bushwack a hot coon. I am talking about dogs that can't or don't even try to trail or run a track.

And you can't shift into reverse or apply the brakes to a hound in a comp hunt.
Not every dog that wins is a hot nosed, blast through the country, can't/won't trail dog. But it is getting to the point where most of them are.

Old Post 12-13-2019 10:18 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc

I like that analogy. But I grew up hunting in the 60's and 70's when we didn't have any equipment to "put it in reverse" so just never really got to where I liked one with no reverse. I will say this that I hunt a dog now that I don't think would not have had a reverse except that when I was training him I would tone him back at 800-1000 yards and pretty soon that's just how he hunted. As I said it's just the preference of the guy hunting them. One is not necessarily better than the other.

Old Post 12-13-2019 11:53 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
I like that analogy. But I grew up hunting in the 60's and 70's when we didn't have any equipment to "put it in reverse" so just never really got to where I liked one with no reverse. I will say this that I hunt a dog now that I don't think would not have had a reverse except that when I was training him I would tone him back at 800-1000 yards and pretty soon that's just how he hunted. As I said it's just the preference of the guy hunting them. One is not necessarily better than the other.

The thing about toning the dog back...or extreme handling to win then those dogs will be bred and then folks will be talking about all the junk out there...saying pedigrees are only a piece of paper and does not mean anything...

Should we be breeding these type of dogs or those that tend to do it naturally?

Breeding natural hunting dogs begets more of the same...

Old Post 12-14-2019 01:06 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

The ones that have real coon dogs know the answer and the ones that don't have real coon dogs will have many different answers. Anyone who has ever seen a real coon dog operate will never be satisfied with anything less. At least that's the way it's been for me over ALL these years. Dave

Old Post 12-14-2019 03:41 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jparker
UKC Forum Member

I'm a pleasure hunter and I love a dog with a nose and knows how to use it not blowing on it then treeing where it feed at last and wont go on im hunting for one like that now can anyone pointed me in that direction

Old Post 12-14-2019 03:46 AM
Jparker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jparker Click here to Send Jparker a Private Message Click Here to Email Jparker Find more posts by Jparker Add Jparker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

A lot of dogs can tree a coon but just because a dog consistently trees coons doesn’t make it in any way shape or form a coon dog. I’ve hunted with literally hundreds of dogs that consistently treed coons that were common as green grass in the summertime. A coon dog can be cut loose with 10 dogs 5 strike a deer and run it through the country and the other 5 tree every possum in the woods and Mr coon dog will be sunk through the country with a ricky above him. They have to be 100% indifferent to all of the nonsense that’s going on around them. Everyone claims to have a coon dog but they would quickly learn different under the circumstances I’ve listed above. Also a coon dog will NEVER have a bad night. They may have a bad drop but never a bad night. Even on there bad drops you can still see the superiority to the dogs around them.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 12-14-2019 06:11 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Real coon dog

Just for the record, every dog that I have ever seen, owned or hunted with that I called a top coon dog or "real" coon dog was just as good at competition hunting as they were pleasure hunting. I have seen lots of dogs that were either goid competition dogs or pleasure hunting dogs, but not both. A real coon dog is both, makes NO difference to them whether it's competition or pleasure hunting, they perform at a higher level at all times. Dalton, your post was spot on, makes NO difference what the other dogs do to a real coon dog. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 12-14-2019 at 06:15 AM

Old Post 12-14-2019 06:12 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote