UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > 1 hour hunts?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

1 hour hunts?

It's no secrete I am no fan of 1 hour hunts, but with the implementation of the upcoming format we all better get ready cause 1 hour hunts will now be the norm for 90-95 percent of all hunts. I say that as I expect most every club, will go to the two one hour hunt format so as to have twice as many hunts as they could under the old format.

I tried a few PKC hunts a few years ago but didn't like the 1 hour, 1 drop shoot out type hunt that I witnessed in 80 percent of more of the casts I was in.

So I shyed away from those style hunts, Now I will be forced to play by those rules or stay home most every hunt.

My question is for anybody and every body who has hunted in a 1 hour hunt.

How many drops, (on average) did you get in your 1 hour competition hunt??

What percentage of cast winners that you witnessed was the outcome determined after that 1st drop. In other words, how many times did you witness the lead change, after the first drop was scored??

I have my personal experience to draw from but I want to hear from everybody that has done it so that I can evaluate if my experience was the norm or was my experience an outlier so to speak. The information provided will certainly help me to plan a strategy for my approach to these new one hour hunts.

Thank You all who provide input. And Happy Thanksgiving!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-26-2019 11:20 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Just got to tree 1 more coon than the others. Best way I like to win is to tree a few off the bat and the others w/d.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-26-2019 11:29 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

In my part of the country 1 hr is 1 drop.

Old Post 11-26-2019 11:34 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

it is a game changer!! we find a big woods and run the entire hr out !! all depends which dog gets under a coon first!! lot times we cut loose more than once!! if a dog is on trail when you getem off tree 1 min recast!! have scored as much as 500+ getting 25 strike. its like a marathon!! wears me out.

Old Post 11-27-2019 12:26 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Just got to tree 1 more coon than the others. Best way I like to win is to tree a few off the bat and the others w/d.

Hard to do in an hour hunt.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 11-27-2019 01:21 AM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1
Hard to do in an hour hunt.

I've treed 3 coon in 20 minutes at a hunt. I've had 3 coons treed on me about as fast. But 1 thing is for sure I know in the first 20 minutes if I've donated my $ or not. I've also not treed that coon I needed until the last 5 minutes or not at all. Is it tough to tree 2 coons in an hour? I'd say it depends on where you're hunting. Most casts here you'll score on 1 coon but if you train your dog not to take much minus you'll win more than you'll lose. You can win 50% of your casts here with 125+. And if you can score 250+ I bet it'd be close to 75% or better.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-27-2019 03:27 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote