UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Clubs
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Clubs

How many members does your club have? And how many members are active in doing the work involved? Its tough for me to justify being a member of a club. I'm usually working out of town during good weather (spring, summer, fall). I don't find it appealing to be looked down on for working and not being around to help out with club events.

How many clubs have you been to that have a bad apple or a few? And do you think that bad apple(s) hurt club memberships?

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-22-2019 11:19 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Re: Clubs

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
I don't find it appealing to be looked down on for working and not being around to help out with club events.

How many clubs have you been to that have a bad apple or a few? And do you think that bad apple(s) hurt club memberships? [/B]

Anybody that can't understand working and taking care of your family comes first is in the wrong. But in saying that most decent people don't look down on people for that. Mostly it's one's who are pushing for things to be done, but when work comes they are nowhere to be found.
Always be bad apples regards of what kind of organization your in. And yes if the good guys don't monitor and control the rotten ones, the club will go under.

Old Post 11-22-2019 11:30 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

You made a very good point, I used to be an officer in a Club, we had a lot of members, but only a handful of members that actually helped the club. Every member had the same vote in spending the money that only a handful had worked to generate the money. I got tired of this and no longer belong to any Club, I will and do still help, but do not wish to belong to any Club in name only. Clubs need every member they have working together, clubs do not benefit from any member that does not help when needed, or a member in name only. Dues do little to help a club, it takes work from every member to be successful. Some guys brag about belonging to many Clubs, but how much actual help do they provide to each if these clubs? Some belong to a club only to have voting rights on hunt dates, officers etc never actually helping the club. I agree with you, if your work schedule does not allow you to be a working member of a club, do not belong to that club. Help the club with donations or such if you choose, but don't be a member in name only. Dave

Old Post 11-23-2019 12:03 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Dave,
Actually between the yearly memberships it should be enough to keep a club going. The reason I know this is because my wife and I belong to bird dog clubs and they don't make much money if any for their events. But they're always in the green. Yearly memberships aren't overly priced for the benefits you get in return for help training. Sometimes you need the 70 year old guy that's seen a bunch for advice on an issue. Those clubs have 1 training day a month. They work on field work, water work, force retrieves, leading and whoa work. So here's my opinion, why can't a club be setup to do the same thing? Why can't they hold training days? There's a bunch of very well schooled trainers that could shed some light into training for the newer guys that would like to learn. I've learned a lot from the bird dog world but had to flip n flop stuff to fit hounds but its the basics that make a difference. So what are the membership fee at your clubs? Around here is around $20. But if your club held training days similar to what I know of, and your members are willing to help then I think you could charge $75 or more easily. Now a club like that I could help with things. But a club that doesn't do anything but hold meetings and hunts, I can't justify it. Not that I'm not willing to pay the membership fee. But I don't want to be dead weight for others to have to carry. I asked when I was member if they'd have hunts during late fall to early spring and basically got told "NO WAY". I'm not complaining, I just feel like there's more to being a club member than just paying a membership fee.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-23-2019 03:33 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

You are 100 percent correct, there is a lot more to being a member of any Club than the membership dues. Yes, around 20.00 is what the dues are per year, but what is needed is working members that give of their time to hold hunts, guiding, judging, whatever is needed to have successful hunts. My club held Turkey shoots and other fund raising events, we made enough money to actually give back to the community, hefty donation to the Volunteer Fire Dept., helping those in need and other causes. Everyone in the community was very supportive of the Coon Club. Most of the members like myself have gotten older, died or quit for different reasons. The club and grounds are paid for and the club is still going, but only a few members these days, gone are any fund raising events, just hosting coon hunts these days, almost a thing of the past. Pretty much the way of many Clubs in this day and time. I hope the new rules and programs will excite the new generation and the Clubs will regain strength and new members. Dave

Old Post 11-23-2019 03:59 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

It makes NO difference in what organization you are members of. You will get 100 pct. participation. 10 pct due the work, 90 pct do the bitchin.

Old Post 11-23-2019 01:43 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote