UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Popularity of a line of Hounds.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Popularity of a line of Hounds.

I think that breeding and raising coonhounds has always been more of a numbers game than a quality game.
Advertise and produce pups and get them out there. Many won't never be heard from again. But with enough out there a small percentage will make some noise and attract attention. Not because of a quality breeding program but a quantity breeding program.

I also feel it is the same way with what studs or lines are popular in a certain area. Reading about Nailor on here got me to thinking about this. You have a concentration of any certain line of dogs in an area. They will be noticed and generally liked in that area. Out of many, some will excel. The ones shipped across country and filter into other areas one or two at a time. Generally don't have the numbers to be recognized as a top line of hounds. If the one or two of the first hat get 5 states away are duds which there are plenty of them. It usually doesn't promote more coming to an area. Now if the one of the few good ones get there first. Then people go back for a second helping. To me this explains why a line of hounds can be praised in one area and thought of negatively in another. Jealousy also comes into play here. But that is a story line for another post.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-14-2020 03:45 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I might be wrong but in the walker dogs I just don’t see a definite line of dogs any more. I would love to see a top coondog with a whole 3 generation pedigree of nothing but non titled dogs that reproduced top trainable pups with no bad kennel manners.

Tar

Old Post 02-14-2020 04:37 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar you are probably pretty close to the truth with there not being a definite line of hounds. But the other side of the coin is we always talk about them. Nailor comes to mine from this board the past few days. Yadkin River, River Bend both started on the east coast. Some Yakin River migrated into the Sackett, jr dogs from Mi. Several lines are more present in your area than mine.

It just seems like if a hound is mentioned outside its home area. There is a lot more negativity towards it. I think a fewer number of dogs from a stud in an area. Allows the bad which there is a larger percentage of, to overcome the good. All this points to my thoughts that a lot more emphasis has been placed on numbers than quality breeding. Or perhaps the emphasis was on quality breeding and it fell short. But numbers kept it alive. I don't think anyone starts out if they are serious about breeding. By making bad choices on purpose. They make bad choices if they keep breeding to their own females because of availability and don't put ability first.

Old Post 02-14-2020 04:57 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I might be wrong but in the walker dogs I just don’t see a definite line of dogs any more. I would love to see a top coondog with a whole 3 generation pedigree of nothing but non titled dogs that reproduced top trainable pups with no bad kennel manners.

Tar

The sire of my current project is a purebred walker and I'd bet there isn't a dog on his three generation that you've ever heard of. Four generations of local bred bobcat dogs. Her Bottom side is all "pr" Lightfoot English. 16 months old.

Best locate ive heard on a female in 20 years,hasn't barked at anything but a coon and poops in the same spot every day

Old Post 02-14-2020 06:13 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Donnie you are more on target than you know.

Tar

Old Post 02-14-2020 10:54 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

There used to be an old fellow in my area , god rest his soul that spent the last 13 years of his life promoting a stud that didn't really produce much to be very proud of. Certainly was a shame to see that much effort put into something so mediocre in the long run. It happens.

Old Post 02-15-2020 12:31 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Stud dogs

In my opinion more good stud dogs were made by the few good females they bred than the other way around. Look at some of the top producing females that threw quality pups from 4 to 5 different stud dogs. Females matter in any breeding program, they just can notf produce 2000 pups. Nuff said. Dave

Old Post 02-15-2020 01:18 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Donnie you are more on target than you know.

Tar

If I still like her in six months I'm gonna add some track power to these redbones. Might take a cross or two to get the paint job right tho lol. Don't tell Richard.

They say once you go X you never go back !

Old Post 02-15-2020 02:06 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Oh there are still Linebred Walkers and plenty of Old bred Walkers still going strong most of the men in this circle have found out it is better to fly under the radar. Because becoming a puppy mill is not productive, nor fun. I know of some major crosses coming up this year that should keep the Old time Walkers alive and well. Accurate,Balanced, Houndy Tree dogs......

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 02-15-2020 01:58 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skeeter
UKC Forum Member

Nailor was a Yadkin River bred dog on the top side. Rock River Sackett, Sackett Jr’s, daddy was a double Yadkin River Bred dog. If you look far enough back most of them have some Yadkin River stuff in them.

Old Post 02-15-2020 07:18 PM
Skeeter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skeeter Click here to Send Skeeter a Private Message Click Here to Email Skeeter Find more posts by Skeeter Add Skeeter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Yadkin river Jeff is one of the main yadkin river dogs look at his pedigree he's got most of the main dogs like Stan's sailor and Johnson's banjo and i think FR Chief really 4 or 5 dogs bloodlines dominate the walker breed

Old Post 02-15-2020 08:06 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
COONDOG
UKC Forum Member

Donnie where did the light foot bred female come from?

Nt.Ch.ChKizmo's Tru-Blu Grit (MIA)
rudedogs99@hotmail.com
www.angelfire.com/oh5/trublu/trublu.html
http://www.acorn-creek.com/signatures/Grit.jpg

Old Post 02-15-2020 09:25 PM
COONDOG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for COONDOG Click here to Send COONDOG a Private Message Click Here to Email COONDOG Visit COONDOG's homepage! Find more posts by COONDOG Add COONDOG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Something I've been thinking of doing is crossing the treeing stock onto a running dog or big game dog. But not sure how well it will or won't work. Seems like the average dog today doesn't have quite enough nose for here on the rough nights. And here's my thoughts on why I'm saying this, I've seen some what fresh tracks in the snow and none of the dogs I've got access to but 2 old dogs be able to take those tracks. And the old dogs are old enough that they can't take a bunch of hunting and I don't like hunting them when its rough. Not that they couldn't do the job but they deserve a decent night when I take them, they sure don't owe me or my partner a thing.

From what I've noticed dealing with coyote dogs around here though is they don't have good feet. They're shaped correct being cat footed but their feet are very soft. And that's why those guys are breeding treeing stock into theirs, just get tougher pads on their dogs.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 02-15-2020 09:36 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by COONDOG
Donnie where did the light foot bred female come from?

Jason Bates in Ontario is the breeder according to the papers. I think her mother came from Brian Chorney in Alberta.

Old Post 02-15-2020 10:22 PM
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Jason Bates in Ontario is the breeder according to the papers. I think her mother came from Brian Chorney in Alberta.

No best I know Jason’s lightfoot dogs came from Jessie Kincade in the US

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 02-18-2020 02:09 AM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote