UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Can a dog be injured pulling on lead.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Andy Music
UKC Forum Member

Can a dog be injured pulling on lead.

Howdy fella's I have a coming on 6 month old walker pup I've been doing yard work with. My main thing lately is trying to get him walking good on the lead and not pulling. I have seen folks snap up their dog's neck or maybe whoop on 'em when there pulling. Seem's like it works for some and not others. Well in my efforts I have jerked my pup back behind me when he starts pulling it seems to discourage him from pulling at least a little bit. Has anyone had a negative experience with this? I have recently read that doing this can potentially hurt a dog's vocal chords, thyroid or worse. I looked it up bc I noticed a change in his voice but I suppose that could just be because he is a pup. Alright any informative advice will be helpful, thanks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-03-2020 03:12 PM
Andy Music is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Music Click here to Send Andy Music a Private Message Find more posts by Andy Music Add Andy Music to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Olrebel
Banned

Yes you can hurt a pup or even a dog for that matter, Just use common sense and if you think its too much then it proubally is , best of luck , patience patience

Old Post 02-03-2020 03:38 PM
Olrebel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Olrebel Click here to Send Olrebel a Private Message Click Here to Email Olrebel Find more posts by Olrebel Add Olrebel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Music
UKC Forum Member

Thank you

I am gonna try a different method. I am definitely not gonna yank on him the way I was. I am hoping his change in voice is just because he is a pup.

Old Post 02-03-2020 03:49 PM
Andy Music is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Music Click here to Send Andy Music a Private Message Find more posts by Andy Music Add Andy Music to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Tie out

I start mine on a tie out for an hour or two a day. This helps them learn there is an end to the chain. Clams em down. Than move em to staying on it overnight and all day. Than walk em on a lead with a wack em collar. Turn it down it won't take much. When they hit the end off the lead tune and pull em back to ya slowly not to hurt or scare em. Than as walk goes on I will lighty zap em than tone em and pull em back. Before long they understand they are in trouble if they hit the end of the lead. Than I begin to strat the lead until they are walking next to me. Always toning em and using voice command. That way before long no lead just vocie command. And if they are to far tone and voice command. This if done correctly will break a dog to be tone broke as your breaking it to lead. If only doing it little bit a day it'll take a couple weeks or so. Faster results take more time walking the dog. Remember you don't wack or get on the dog to hard. You never want the dog scared or discouraged. When it's walking good talk nicely to it and always pet it so every do often. Another good idea is after going good every so often grab its tail and pull followed by petting and talking nicely. This way if it's ever in a hole or pile and you have to pull on its tail it knows not to turn around and attack ya. Little steps to make a more enjoyable hunting buddy.

Old Post 02-03-2020 05:07 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Music
UKC Forum Member

Thanks!

Old Post 02-03-2020 05:19 PM
MARSHALL AYERS
UKC Forum Member

Give me a call. I can walk you through a 15 min exercise that will correct 95% of dogs for pulling without having to whoop or snap them.

DUAL GRAND GRNITECH'GRCH'PR'NITRO'S BIGTIME GOMER
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/bigtimekennels/th_null_zpsaf6e7c86.png

Old Post 02-03-2020 05:32 PM
MARSHALL AYERS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MARSHALL AYERS Click here to Send MARSHALL AYERS a Private Message Click Here to Email MARSHALL AYERS Find more posts by MARSHALL AYERS Add MARSHALL AYERS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

When I walk mine it is to get loaded up...they see that as a big positive...so when they pull ahead I give a jerk and pull them back to my side... I make sure I am not moving forward during this correction...I wait 10 or 15 seconds before I move forward again and keep a fairly tight leash on the pup...if the pup moves ahead I will correct and make sure I stop forward progress...I step out again after a good pause and make sure he is beside me...I pet him up for walking next to me without a tight leash...they learn quick that getting down the trail or to the dog box is more fun so they learn to walk without tension on the leash if they want to make forward progress...consistency and firmness will work in your favor...

Before moving forward the pup needs to be calm with no tension on leash and when you step forward correct immediately and if and as soon as he walks next to you without pulling on leash pet him up...

There are two things that could’ve happening...one is if he thinks he can get away with it and he will...

Two...you need him to know this is what you want and then it needs to be clear to him as to what you want and then it will be easy...doing the right things at the right time so he can understand what you want...

Old Post 02-03-2020 05:54 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

When I walk mine it is to get loaded up...they see that as a big positive...so when they pull ahead I give a jerk and pull them back to my side... I make sure I am not moving forward during this correction...I wait 10 or 15 seconds before I move forward again and keep a fairly tight leash on the pup...if the pup moves ahead I will correct and make sure I stop forward progress...I step out again after a good pause and make sure he is beside me...I pet him up for walking next to me without a tight leash...they learn quick that getting down the trail or to the dog box is more fun so they learn to walk without tension on the leash if they want to make forward progress...consistency and firmness will work in your favor...

Before moving forward the pup needs to be calm with no tension on leash and when you step forward correct immediately and if and as soon as he walks next to you without pulling on leash pet him up...

There are two things that could’ve happening...one is if he thinks he can get away with it and he will...

Two...you need him to know this is what you want and then it needs to be clear to him as to what you want and then it will be easy...doing the right things at the right time so he can understand what you want...

Old Post 02-03-2020 05:54 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I'll take a switch that will reach a little past the tip of their nose and "encourage" them to walk at my heel instead of dragging me around. I'd rather hurt their feelings than their neck. Or my shoulder...

Old Post 02-04-2020 01:21 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I use the suitcase method. It teaches them quick to not pull. And never seen it not work. Run the lead down the back, right in front of the waist wrap it around the belly and back up in front the portion running down the back . Or you can look up for better instructions. But anyway when the lead comes tight it squeezes the dogs waist. And the first few times it happens they will freak out because they're uncomfortable. Once they learn what is causing the pain they stop pulling. I've used several different methods in the past but the suitcase it the easiest one. Bird dog people use this method to teach whoa on a stake.

Another thing you can use is a pinch collar. You can pick those up at Tractor Supply or most pet stores.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 02-04-2020 03:48 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
I use the suitcase method. It teaches them quick to not pull. And never seen it not work. Run the lead down the back, right in front of the waist wrap it around the belly and back up in front the portion running down the back . Or you can look up for better instructions. But anyway when the lead comes tight it squeezes the dogs waist. And the first few times it happens they will freak out because they're uncomfortable. Once they learn what is causing the pain they stop pulling. I've used several different methods in the past but the suitcase it the easiest one. Bird dog people use this method to teach whoa on a stake.

Another thing you can use is a pinch collar. You can pick those up at Tractor Supply or most pet stores.

I never tried this method because my method works easily as well...but I think the suitcase method could be easier especially if the handler lacks experience...

I use this method to teach my pups to ride on my 4 wheeler platform...they learn real quick to stay on platform...they are tethered to the platform but they will try to jump off a few times while learning to ride...while tethered I get a leash and loop it around their waste and when the jump I pull them back up about three times and they start focusing on riding and not jumping off...

Old Post 02-04-2020 10:27 AM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Throw a half hitch on them using a leather, rope or nylon lead placing it such that the lead strap is tight in behind the shoulders. DO NOT USE A CHAIN LEAD FOR THIS!

The dog will quickly learn when they pull it is uncomfortable as the lead strap tightens around their chest. Do not do this behind the rib cage or in front of the hips as it could damage internal organs.

When they begin to pull apply a little more pressure and tell them to heel and stop forward movement for a few seconds. Works for me and has for years.

Last edited by DL NH on 02-04-2020 at 12:37 PM

Old Post 02-04-2020 12:35 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Get yourself a Herm Sprenger Prong Collar. Amazing what they can do. I will say this. I feel it may be more important with those collars than a training collar for the Owner to know what they are doing. It is real simple with almost immediate results. But read about the collar, proper sizing, proper use.

Here is something most people miss about these collars. They are really effective, not because of any pain the inflect if used wrong or aggressively. They are an extension of just what the mother taught the pup. Watch any mother dog around pups an if they get frustrated with one. They gently put the pups neck in their mouth and exert some pressure. You are just training with this collar in a way is the extension of what the mother taught them.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 02-04-2020 at 01:22 PM

Old Post 02-04-2020 12:59 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Get yourself a Herm Sprenger Prong Collar. Amazing what they can do. I will say this. I feel it may be more important with those collars than a training collar for the Owner to know what they are doing. It is real simple with almost immediate results. But read about the collar, proper sizing, proper use.

Here is something most people miss about these collars. They are really effective, not because of any pain the inflect if used wrong or aggressively. They are an extension of just what the mother taught the pup. Watch any mother dog around pups an if they get frustrated with one. They gently put the pups neck in their mouth and exert some pressure. You are just training with this collar in a way is the extension of what the mother taught them.

X2
They work when used properly.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 02-04-2020 04:07 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hennessey
X2
They work when used properly.

When used properly...

The meaning when used properly sometimes includes but not limited to...
When done at the right time and when done the proper length of time...
And setting the foundation for the pup to learn...which is proper exposure and socialization which also leads to faster learning for the pup which makes it easier for the handler in training the pup...

The above mentioned makes it easier for both the pup and the handler...

Old Post 02-04-2020 05:49 PM
Outback1
UKC Forum Member

Get a Smiths Wonder Lead ! best $20 You will spend.

Old Post 02-04-2020 07:01 PM
Outback1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Outback1 Click here to Send Outback1 a Private Message Find more posts by Outback1 Add Outback1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Music
UKC Forum Member

Thanks everyone!

Old Post 02-05-2020 03:09 PM