UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Big Game Hunting > Hounds Killed by Wolves
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BLACK RHINO
UKC Forum Member

Rope.... Hah.

Rope... Useless... Guess you guys have never actually seen the mouth of them dogs. One bite and their loose. N the treble hook is gonna have to be awful tough. Those kind of ridiculous posts are what makes hunters A easy target for the piss N moaners out there. We run where them dogs came from. They are everywhere we go. Have we lost dogs to them yes, but rarely. And when they do hit you it is A ugly sight. I hate them as much as anyone out there. Will get as many of them as I can. But would not advocate something as stupid as that. Learn to hunt around them and take your chances, cause I can guarantee you we have more of them land sharks then anyone down there could imagine. And at this point you have to come to the realization that there is no way they are going to get rid of them. But with reasonable arguments there is A opportunity to expand the population control opportunities. But you are going to have to adjust or stay home. Anyone who has the ability to hunt them, Feel free to get A hold of me I will be more then happy to share what I know about gettin them close enough for A shot. Good luck.

Ryan "Rhino" Andersen
Buck Creek Outfitters
1-780-202-1767

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-21-2010 01:47 AM
BLACK RHINO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLACK RHINO Click here to Send BLACK RHINO a Private Message Click Here to Email BLACK RHINO Find more posts by BLACK RHINO Add BLACK RHINO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Boggs
Banned

mike

that will not even work on yots all that does is kill ower hunting dogs is all and gives every hunter and traper a bad name is all and fulles the anties more when people make a post like you did.if you wount to kill wolfs snares work and so does 1 well placed shoot you can feed them and watch them come in to feed then you do your part,david..ps black rino mite know a better way becauls they have a lot more.and there was wolfs reliced in va. as well some have even made it to ky but i know of one that wount reproduce no young.there have been 3 more spoted in ky where i hunt and they came here i think from va. or the dnr stocked them becauls of ower elk poplation but they will not tell you that just like they will not tell you they turned loose 25 bear on my grandfathers farm they just came in a turned them loose just like they owened the property .but i am glad they got the bears here now.one of the stocked bear was killed like the way a crow flyes 40 miles away in 10 days later no the dnr could not bother the man that killed the bear he said it was trying to kill his dog tyed up and ate its feed.it is just a matter of time in ky.va.wv.ten. we will be dealling with the wolves just like other places so just sss when you see one,david boggs..ps if you see a wolf there will be no dought that it is a wolf you wount think its a yot you will know the wolf soon as you see him.

Old Post 02-21-2010 07:37 AM
David Boggs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Boggs Click here to Send David Boggs a Private Message Click Here to Email David Boggs Find more posts by David Boggs Add David Boggs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kyle W. Graf
UKC Forum Member

Re: Rope.... Hah.

quote:
Originally posted by BLACK RHINO
Rope... Useless... Guess you guys have never actually seen the mouth of them dogs. One bite and their loose. N the treble hook is gonna have to be awful tough. Those kind of ridiculous posts are what makes hunters A easy target for the piss N moaners out there.
Ryan "Rhino" Andersen
Buck Creek Outfitters
1-780-202-1767

Ryan
They were killing wolves in Europe with that method before everyone had guns. They can not bite the rope because they are hanging from the hook.

Personally I think it would be a small percentage of very hungry wolves that would be caught but it is proven to work.
Kyle

Old Post 02-22-2010 07:45 AM
Kyle W. Graf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle W. Graf Click here to Send Kyle W. Graf a Private Message Visit Kyle W. Graf's homepage! Find more posts by Kyle W. Graf Add Kyle W. Graf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

they are wolves
being reliced in virgina and it was on TV and i do know for a fack some has made there way to ky but one will go no further.I HEARD A CAR STRUCK ITS HEAD and hope they all dye man rid them for a reason and we dont need them.

Copied this from leopard hound site

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Old Post 03-13-2010 12:27 AM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

wolves kill woman

Posted: 8:49 AM Mar 12, 2010

Wolf Attack Investigated in Alaska Woman's Death
Authorities in Alaska are investigating whether a wolf attack killed a 32-year-old woman whose body was found in a remote area near a small village.
Reporter: CNN

Story 0 Comments Font Size: (CNN) -- Authorities in Alaska are investigating whether a wolf attack killed a 32-year-old woman whose body was found in a remote area near a small village.

It is "heavily assumed" that at least one wolf attacked and killed Candice Berner, a Pennsylvania native who moved to Alaska last year, said Megan Peters, a spokeswoman for the Alaska State Troopers.

Authorities saw a bloody trail where Berner had been dragged off a road and wolf tracks near the body.

If authorities determine Berner was killed by a wolf attack, it would be the first fatal encounter on record in Alaska, Peters said.

"It's hard. It's really hard. I feel horrible, you know, empty," her father, Robert Berner, told KTUU-TV in Anchorage, Alaska.

"They said Candice put up a good fight," he said, "and there must have been two, maybe three of them."

Berner described his daughter as "small and mighty," a woman who liked to box, lift weights and run, according to a dispatch in the Slippery Rock Herald, the newspaper in her Pennsylvania hometown. She was training for a race and could get into a meditative state when running, her father said.

Foul play has been ruled out, Peters said.

"Following an investigation and autopsy, we have determined it is not a criminal act," she said.

Berner's body was found Monday night in a remote area near the village of Chignik Lake, in the southwest part of the state. The community of about 105 residents is about 475 miles southwest of Anchorage.

Several Chignik Lake residents have reported recent encounters with wolves, some of them threatening, spokeswoman Peters said.

The case has been turned over to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, which will handle it "just like a homicide investigation," she said.

The agency will try to determine if the death was caused by a wolf attack, and whether it was a lone animal or a pack of wolves. If officials determine which animal was responsible, authorities will try to find it and destroy it, Peters said.

Berner was an itinerant special education teacher, according to CNN affiliate WTAE-TV of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Authorities listed her address as Perryville, Alaska, around 30 miles from where her body was found.

She had arrived in Chignik this week to work at the school there, the Slippery Rock Herald said. Berner had been with the Lake and Peninsula Borough School District since August, schools official Rick Luthi said.

Her co-workers last saw her alive at the end of the workday Monday, Luthi told the newspaper.

"She had made the comment that she wanted to get out and get some fresh air," Luthi said. "We assumed that that meant a run for Candice, because she had a habit of doing that whenever she could."

Her father was a professor and taught her first special education class, KTUU-TV said.

"I felt like it was work worth doing, and I've always felt that way," Robert Berner said. "I thought Candice would be able to handle it well, because she has a tremendous tolerance for those who are different."

Residents in Berner's hometown recalled an adventurous woman who loved the outdoors and longed to live in Alaska, WTAE said.

Patrick Grant, of Slippery Rock University's Special Education Department, told the station that Berner returned home for grad school and that he last saw her about 18 months ago.

"She cared about other people," Grant told WTAE. "She cared about kids. She cared about how she'd make a difference in the world. That's why she was there. She wanted to make a difference in the world."

Berner was featured in Slippery Rock's winter 2010 journal, where she talked about life in Alaska without television and having her groceries flown in. She also wrote a blog called "Adventures of an Alaskan Bush Teacher," posting photos on it and writing about the wildlife -- particularly the wolves that lurked in the wilderness.

"This tragedy affects all of us. We're all deeply crushed by it," Grant said. "We're all deeply concerned about someone so young reaching such a tragic death, and we're all asking ourselves, 'What can we do?' And I don't know what the answer is."

CNN's Greg Morrison and Dave Alsup contributed to this report.

The-CNN-Wire/Atlanta
TM & © 2010 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Old Post 03-13-2010 03:36 AM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

Article published March 19, 2010
Wolf shooting piques curiosity

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/wolf.jpeg[/img]
now that thing is big and ugly mean looking
Dusty Gore holds the head of a wolf he shot recently in Sandusky County near York School.
( SPECIAL TO THE BLADE/BRIAN BURY )

Zoom | Photo Reprints

From the you-just-never-know department comes a tale about a large wolf - yes, a wolf - shot this week in Sandusky County:

Dusty Gore of Bellevue and his wife, Tracy, were headed toward Fremont Monday on County Road 205, just south of U.S. 20 between Bellevue and Clyde.

Just about the time they were behind York School, which fronts on U.S. 20, "I spotted what I thought was a coyote in a field about 200 yards from the school," said the 28-year-old Gore. He wheeled around and headed home where he grabbed his varmint rifle.

To shorten the story a mite, Gore shot the beast and went to retrieve it on a three-wheeler. "I didn't realize it was a wolf when I shot. I thought it was an exceptionally large coyote."

Gore took it to Bellevue taxidermist Brian Weider, who in turn notified Brian Bury, state game protector in Sandusky County.

Bury confirmed that the animal indeed was a wolf. He said he has received at least a dozen calls about "a pack of wolves" and added this: "Two more got away. This was a large male, at least 100 pounds. They [the pack] have been covering about a 10-mile area the last few days.
Gore weighed the wolf on a grain scale and it hung between 120 and 140 pounds.

Free-ranging wolves are not found in the wild in Ohio these days, the species' wild breeding populations long ago having been eradicated. But some people keep wolves, or at least wolf-dog crosses.

The nearest known wild populations of wolves are in Michigan's upper peninsula - pegged at 584 in last winter's count. That is at least 350 miles or more from northwest Ohio - quite a ways even though wolves have been known to travel 470 miles, according to Michigan tagging studies.

"We're still trying to get some information on this animal," said Scott Butterworth, wildlife management supervisor for Ohio Wildlife District 2 at Findlay. After a look at several photos, he said, "my guess is that it's not a pure wolf.

"We have no reports of any wolves coming down from Michigan. More than likely it's one of those hybrid animals you can buy as a pet, and someone released it intentionally or it got away."

Butterworth noted Ohio has no rule that protects wolves, and no prohibition against shooting them. Because there are no known wild breeding populations of wolves here, the species is not on the official state game or wildlife lists.

As such wolves would fall into a gray area of being nonentities, much like any stray captive cougars that have been reported and which likely escaped or were dumped. Face it, owners of such potentially dangerous creatures - there are captive bobcats among others - likely are not going to come forward to claim the escapees, lest they become liable for any deaths or damages.

Any wolf observations should be directed to Wildlife District 2, 419-424-5000.

In Michigan, the Department of Natural Resources and Environment is continuing through the month its annual winter wolf survey. The MDNRE is particularly interested in any sighting from the northern lower peninsula. So far most reports have turned out to be dog tracks, though one set of tracks in Cheboygan County in the northeast lower peninsula may have promise, according to reports.

Michigan wolf reports can be posted online at michigan.gov/wolves. Wolves currently are federally protected in Michigan.

On the rivers - Walleye are moving up the Maumee and Sandusky rivers, and action is improving slowly.

On the Sandusky River at downtown Fremont, Brian Bury, state wildlife officer for Sandusky County, summed it up like this: "Walleye are being snagged in fair to good numbers in Fremont. Water is average level and muddy. Not too many legal fish yet."

It is illegal to keep a snagged, or foul-hooked walleye. Other special rules for the river runs are found in the 2010 Ohio fishing digest.

The Maumee River also was receding from its recent crest, but still about three feet above normal. Wading to Blue Grass Island at Side Cut Metropark, and other popular wading sites, still is not possible. But water temperature is 44 degrees or so, which is near ideal, according to Gary Lowry at Maumee Tackle.

Most of western Lake Erie is now open water, the Ohio Division of Wildlife station at Sandusky reports. Recently boats have been making it out of the Catawba Island State Park ramp and the Mazurik ramp to fish for walleye, but near-shore ice west of Port Clinton is limiting lake access.

Craig Aust at Herb's Sportsman Supplies east of Port Clinton said Catawba State Park is ice free, and boaters are launching from there.

Last edited by rmcmillan on 03-22-2010 at 12:46 AM

Old Post 03-21-2010 04:00 PM
jim meacham
UKC Forum Member

shark hooks and meat.

Old Post 03-21-2010 04:33 PM
jim meacham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jim meacham Click here to Send jim meacham a Private Message Click Here to Email jim meacham Find more posts by jim meacham Add jim meacham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

FYI from Environmental News Service

WANDERING WOLF SHOT IN MISSOURI

TRENTON, Missouri, November 7, 2001 (ENS) - A single wolf from Michigan found its way all the way from Michigan's Upper Peninsula to north-central Missouri - only to fall prey to a hunter.

A Missouri man was returning from a bowhunt on his land on October 23 when he said he saw the 80 pound wolf looking into his sheep pen. He shot the wolf, thinking it was a coyote, but realized his error when he discovered that the animal wore a numbered ear tag and a radio tracking collar.

The hunter took the carcass to the state conservation department, which verified that it was a gray wolf and traced it back to its original capture site near Ironwood, Michigan.

Records of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR) show that the wolf killed in Missouri was a juvenile weighing 22 pounds when it was caught in July 1999. It was captured in a single foot hold trap with a litter mate, and designated Wolf No. 18.

Michigan DNR officials followed the movements of Wolf No. 18 for nine months, then lost track of it. They had a hard time believing the news when informed of the animal's death so far away.

"One of our wolves?" asked Michigan DNR photographer Dave Kenyon. "No! How far is that?"

The distance from Wolf No. 18's capture site to Grundy County, Missouri is about 450 miles. By highway, or the way a wolf travels, crossing the Mississippi River and countless highways, it may have been more like 600 miles - among the longest wolf journeys ever documented by the Michigan DNR.

"You have to wonder how many people saw this animal along the way and either kept it to themselves or told people and weren't believed," said Michigan DNR biologist Dean Beyer.

Young wolves are prone to leave their birth places to carve out their own territories.

Old Post 03-22-2010 12:43 AM
bjj
UKC Forum Member

You guys have to remember the wolves were here first. I understand the pain and frustration but they were put here for a reason and they are protecting what is truly rightfully theirs. Sorry!

Old Post 03-22-2010 02:04 AM
bjj is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bjj Click here to Send bjj a Private Message Click Here to Email bjj Find more posts by bjj Add bjj to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joy man
UKC Forum Member

the great wolf debate will go on for ever. untill you have a hound or hounds killed by wolves you will never know just how brutal they are. and they are on the move so. wi and no. il. are starting to have sightings alot. the coyotes are bad enough around here, i **** sure dont want any wolves.....

Old Post 03-22-2010 02:31 AM
joy man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joy man Click here to Send joy man a Private Message Click Here to Email joy man Find more posts by joy man Add joy man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bjj
You guys have to remember the wolves were here first. I understand the pain and frustration but they were put here for a reason and they are protecting what is truly rightfully theirs. Sorry!
That is about as a ridiculous statement as I have ever heard. Give back all your new technology, cell phone, computer, internet etc. Time moves on and we did over the wolves why have them back that is foolish.

Old Post 03-22-2010 10:47 AM
jay ritchie
New UKC Forum Member

BJJ
You have no idea what you are talking about..do your homework, and you will see that these grey wolves were never here. The Timber wolf was, and is a much smaller sub-species. The game numbers are being destroyed, hounds are being needlessly killed, and for what? Really what is the purpose of having land sharks?! If this was in your backyard I bet your opinion would be a little different. It's people like you, who have no stake in these matters that make the problem worse by siding with the antis that are really behind this so called re-introduction!

Old Post 03-26-2010 10:01 PM
jay ritchie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jay ritchie Click here to Send jay ritchie a Private Message Click Here to Email jay ritchie Find more posts by jay ritchie Add jay ritchie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jay ritchie
BJJ
You have no idea what you are talking about..do your homework, and you will see that these grey wolves were never here. The Timber wolf was, and is a much smaller sub-species. The game numbers are being destroyed, hounds are being needlessly killed, and for what? Really what is the purpose of having land sharks?! If this was in your backyard I bet your opinion would be a little different. It's people like you, who have no stake in these matters that make the problem worse by siding with the antis that are really behind this so called re-introduction!

I AGREE WITH YOU, BJJ MUST NOT HAVE HOUNDS OR A CLUE FOR THAT MATTER IF HE THINKS LIKE THAT. JUST LOOK AT THE PHOTO OF THAT POOR REDBONE HOUND AND SEE WHAT THESE BEASTS ARE CAPABLE OF. ANYONE WHO HAS A HOUND SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS. I FEEL SORRY FOR ALL WHO HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THERE HUNTING BUDDIES. ALL THOSE BEASTS SHOULD BE DONE AWAY WITH!!!!

Old Post 03-27-2010 03:14 PM
mehunter
UKC Forum Member

hounds killed by wolves

I,am sorry to hear about your dogs. That is a terrible way to lose your dogs. There is talk of putting them in this state also , so far it has not happen. best of luck to you in the future. mehunter.

Old Post 03-30-2010 11:41 PM
mehunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mehunter Click here to Send mehunter a Private Message Click Here to Email mehunter Find more posts by mehunter Add mehunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomzr2
UKC Forum Member

BJJ

Pine cones were here first as well. Try wiping your a** with one. Talk about pain and frustration. Sounds like a ANTI to me.

Old Post 03-31-2010 02:42 AM
tomzr2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tomzr2 Click here to Send tomzr2 a Private Message Click Here to Email tomzr2 Find more posts by tomzr2 Add tomzr2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kiekhofers_walk
UKC Forum Member

where abouts in wisconsin are you guys hunting, we have a bunch of wolves by us but havent had any problems yet. thank god. I know we will start soon tho

Old Post 03-31-2010 03:44 PM
kiekhofers_walk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kiekhofers_walk Click here to Send kiekhofers_walk a Private Message Click Here to Email kiekhofers_walk Find more posts by kiekhofers_walk Add kiekhofers_walk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLACK RHINO
UKC Forum Member

Research.

Jay, You have your facts A little skewed. The Grey Wolf is the common name for all wolf sub-species. From Europe to North America. Believe you are referring to the Great Plains Sub Species that was more wide spread. The transplanted wolves brought to Yellowstone are the Mackenzie Valley Sub Species. This is somewhat splitting hairs though. Yes the Mackenzie Valley is the largest variation. The Great plains is slightly smaller, and of the three the Eastern Timber wolf is the smallest but is still A 80-100 pound mature dog. Running hounds amongst the wolves is concerning. But it is what we have to deal with. Up here it always has been and always will be.

Rhino.

Old Post 04-01-2010 01:47 PM
BLACK RHINO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLACK RHINO Click here to Send BLACK RHINO a Private Message Click Here to Email BLACK RHINO Find more posts by BLACK RHINO Add BLACK RHINO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by tomzr2
BJJ

Pine cones were here first as well. Try wiping your a** with one. Talk about pain and frustration. Sounds like a ANTI to me.

GOOD ONE!!! LOL!!!!

Old Post 04-03-2010 02:34 PM
Stonycove
New UKC Forum Member

Pain in the butt

Sounds like the guys ate one to many pine cones to me Thomas,
Phillip had a Coyote come down to his dogs tied up in the yard and like to killed one of his young pups on a chain! I bet he thinks they should have the run of the dog lot to!

Pine cones were here first as well. Try wiping your a** with one. Talk about pain and frustration. Sounds like a ANTI to me. [/B][/QUOTE]

Old Post 04-03-2010 05:24 PM
Stonycove is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stonycove Click here to Send Stonycove a Private Message Click Here to Email Stonycove Find more posts by Stonycove Add Stonycove to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

BTT

Old Post 04-10-2010 01:41 PM
walkerman777
UKC Forum Member

fly bait and cola!!!!!

Old Post 04-23-2010 10:21 PM
walkerman777 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerman777 Click here to Send walkerman777 a Private Message Click Here to Email walkerman777 Find more posts by walkerman777 Add walkerman777 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grub
UKC Forum Member

BJJ, I don't know if you hunt with hounds or even hunt at all. Even if you only deer hunt you do not want wolves. Can you think of any mammal that wan intentionally wiped out in the lower 48. Excluding the bison (that was slaughtered for all the wrong reasons) there are no other animal that was exterminated like the wolf. It is true the wolf does serve a purpose. It keeps ungulate numbers from over population and over grazing, even protects from disease. Ironically, it now carries a disease that is a threat to humans. We worked long and hard to rid ourselves of wolves. We managed deer, elk and moose so we would have a surplus. A surplus that we could harvest. The surplus is declining fast and is gone in some places. I tell you the truth, if you have wolves you will lose your hunting. The difference between here and up north is trapping aerial gunning and little or limited restrictions on dealing with the problem.
The fact that wolves are killing dogs at an alarming rate is hard for me to swallow. Not just hunting dogs. More and more pets are being killed by wolves. I cannot let my wife take our Jack Russell behind the house anymore, because the wolves are thick out there. I hear them from the house. Bears, lions and coyotes I can deal with, wolves I cannot. There is no room for them now. Give them the parks. Many wolves have been killed and left to rot, but not nearly enough. Come live with the wolf. Not the wolf that is shy and wary from years of persacution, but the wolf that has free run of the place with little or no fear of man. Like the ones that have all the deer pushed into town and howl outside my window.

Old Post 04-27-2010 03:09 PM
Grub is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grub Click here to Send Grub a Private Message Find more posts by Grub Add Grub to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

more crap on wolves

Published April 30 2010
Grey wolf does not deserve endangered status
“They got this thing up here,” says Pete Kopplin, a retired school teacher from Marshfield who now lives up by Iron River and occasionally sees gray wolves wandering about. “Shoot, bury, and shut up.”
By: By Mike Nichols, Superior Telegram

Some Wisconsinites, I know, use a similar but slightly more alliterative version of the phrase: “Shoot, shovel and shut up.”

Most law-abiding folks, aware that federal law prohibits anyone from killing or burying a gray wolf, shake their heads and add one other “sh” word as well. Sheeesh (or something like that), a wolf, even one that has had a hunter’s dog or a farmer’s cow for dinner, deserves better.

What it does not deserve, on the other hand, is its current status as an endangered species. Both Minnesota and Wisconsin rightly want the federal government to take that designation away.

Wolves aren’t endangered, not even close. There are at least 4,000 in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan alone and sometimes it seems like the only people who oppose taking them off the endangered species list are ones who would like to put white-tailed deer, sewer rats and house cats on the list as well.

Many think taking the wolf off the list is the same thing as declaring open season on them. It’s not.

All delisting the wolf would really do is make it a whole lot easier for the state of Wisconsin, or certain farmers or ranchers who get permission, to kill the particularly bloodthirsty ones – ranchers like Bill Anderson, who raises beef cattle west of Mason in Bayfield County.

Anderson says wolves first showed up in his area four or five years ago and he’s lost eight or nine animals to them over the years.

“I go to bed at night worrying about my cattle bellowing,” he said. Wolves are “killing machines.

“We had a white deer around here for a time and they even killed that thing,” said Anderson. “I seen the carcass and I seen the tracks.”

Then they went and killed a neighbor’s dog.

The Humane Society of the United States sides, not so humanely I think, with the wolf – and is partly responsible for getting the federal courts to keep the wolf on the engendered list.

Howard Goldman, Minnesota state director of the organization, argues that the animal should remain endangered because it still only covers about 5 percent of the land it once did. Since wolves kill mostly hunting dogs and cows, I asked him about the growing perception that the society is simply anti-hunting and anti-farm.

“The issue is what it is,” he replied. “We are simply trying to protect the gray wolf.”

Wisconsin, the thing is, doesn’t really need the Humane Society of the United States or the federal government to protect the wolf. The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources can do that. The department pays out close to $100,000 a year to farmers and hound owners and other who lose animals to wolves each year and will continue to have that ability, whether the wolves are endangered or not. The DNR will allow the wolf to continue to flourish.

The DNR wants the ability to do a little more though, as well. It wants permission to kill problem wolves and manage the numbers when appropriate – and the most effective way to do that is by taking it off the list of endangered species.

The way it is now, said Kopplin, who is on the wolf committee of the Conservation Congress, the state of Wisconsin “cannot manage it if you have a problem.”

That has unfortunately caused some people to illegally deal with the wolves themselves. People are shooting and shoveling and shouldn’t be.

Kopplin enjoys seeing the wolf. He just doesn’t enjoy seeing people outside the state dictate what Wisconsin can and can’t do.

“I think,” he said, “Wisconsin people should have control over Wisconsin wolves.”

Old Post 05-01-2010 12:26 AM
Redbone Crazy
UKC Forum Member

Re: north western

quote:
Originally posted by josh tetting
wisconsin the wolves are as thick as misquitos up there

AGREED!! my buddy took me bear hunting up in Birchwood, Wisconsin (about 1 hour 30 minutes north of my house) and the dog pack got hit. the one dog survived the other one bout made you puke!! all that was left of the dog was his head, legs and tail! and as far as i know wolves are still illeagle to shoot in wisconsin and i thing that needs to CHANGE!! up there in birchwood theres 2 or 3 different packs and they are EVERY WHERE!! my buddy says out deer hunting you see atleast 10 wolves a day! he said theres wolves coming into his yard at his cabin and they'll come up to the padio door and scratch at it and growl at you trying to get at you! every time i go up north and we spot a wolf it just makes my gut cringe!! they are mean nasty animals the should be demolished. every time i see a person thats in love with wolves i show them the pic on my cell of that dog and they just go silent. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOU THESE WOLVES!!

Keep the hounds on the trails...

Old Post 08-24-2010 07:36 AM
Redbone Crazy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redbone Crazy Click here to Send Redbone Crazy a Private Message Click Here to Email Redbone Crazy Visit Redbone Crazy's homepage! Find more posts by Redbone Crazy Add Redbone Crazy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southwestwalker
UKC Forum Member

Jay

I feel for ya buddy... it hurts when ya lose a pup or a dog.

Old Post 08-24-2010 04:07 PM
southwestwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southwestwalker Click here to Send southwestwalker a Private Message Find more posts by southwestwalker Add southwestwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote