UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > how we're seen
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Emily
UKC Forum Member

how we're seen

This is a relatively sane article about hounds that end up in shelters, that says its mostly deer dogs.
http://carolinatails.org/many-hunti...-area-shelters/
Its in the the Charleston [SC] Animal Society's magazine

I know just about everyone on this board takes care of their hounds and puts a lot into them. However, most of us know of a few irresponsible people who leave hounds in the woods when they don't work out, and they make us all look bad. We all need to do what we can to discourage people who make our sport look bad. Maybe the number of hounds in shelters goes up at the end of deer season, maybe not. Just providing this link as a reminder of how we look to others.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-25-2018 07:45 PM
Emily is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emily Click here to Send Emily a Private Message Click Here to Email Emily Find more posts by Emily Add Emily to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

Keep in mind too that it is not always the hunters, have quite a few people riding around trying to rescue these dogs, pick them up and take them to shelters, thats why i decided to micro chip my last two.

Old Post 04-25-2018 08:43 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrburneisen
UKC Forum Member

Dog Thieves

So whats your sayin' is there are people out there who will show up to my house, steal my hound, and take her to an animal shelter and call it a "rescue".

Old Post 04-27-2018 03:31 PM
mrburneisen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mrburneisen Click here to Send mrburneisen a Private Message Click Here to Email mrburneisen Find more posts by mrburneisen Add mrburneisen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Emily
UKC Forum Member

Not saying that at all. None of us wants misinformed idiots showing up at our kennels and stealing our dogs. Those of us who don't take decent care of our dogs make trouble for those of us who do.

Some hounds do show up at animal shelters, and a lot of the people at the shelters in states that allow deer hunting with dogs think the bulk of them show up at the end of deer season, whether that's true or not. Those hounds could be strays, they could be dogs that have gotten loose from pet owners, etc., but we all know a few irresponsible people who leave a poor hunter in the woods rather than cull or find a pet home for it. A few of us know hound owners who can no longer afford their dog, or end up in jail, or need a helping hand to make it through a dry spell for some other reason. If we don't help each other through, it gives the rest of us a bad reputation. We all need to pitch in to keep our sport alive as the world changes around us.

Old Post 04-27-2018 07:31 PM
Emily is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emily Click here to Send Emily a Private Message Click Here to Email Emily Find more posts by Emily Add Emily to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Emily
Not saying that at all. None of us wants misinformed idiots showing up at our kennels and stealing our dogs. Those of us who don't take decent care of our dogs make trouble for those of us who do.

Some hounds do show up at animal shelters, and a lot of the people at the shelters in states that allow deer hunting with dogs think the bulk of them show up at the end of deer season, whether that's true or not. Those hounds could be strays, they could be dogs that have gotten loose from pet owners, etc., but we all know a few irresponsible people who leave a poor hunter in the woods rather than cull or find a pet home for it. A few of us know hound owners who can no longer afford their dog, or end up in jail, or need a helping hand to make it through a dry spell for some other reason. If we don't help each other through, it gives the rest of us a bad reputation. We all need to pitch in to keep our sport alive as the world changes around us.

Good post and I agree...

Old Post 04-28-2018 12:14 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

I’ve started microchipping all my dogs and plan to do any litter of puppies I have in the future, I want to ensure that if something I owned or bred ends up in a shelter I’m notified and can go get it.

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 04-28-2018 09:36 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Quite honestly I don't know of and have never heard of any person dropping dogs in the hound community. Not a single one.

I do know of plenty of dogs that were stolen from kennels and taken to the pound and claimed to be strays.

I know of that happening quite a bit, but have never, ever known of a hunter intentionally leaving a dog in the woods.

Old Post 04-29-2018 03:03 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I know of many instances in which hounds are probably abandoned in the woods. Hounds with no collar is a pretty good sign the hound was ditched. Some deer hunters are ok in the woods during the day but are afraid to go into the woods after dark. I held a dog one night until the guy came but he didn't like being that deep in the woods at night. A lot of deer hunters are poor and can't afford collars much less a tracker. So the hounds get lost and wonder around until rescued or run over. It doesn't happen as often as it did 15 years ago because there are fewer people hunting w/dogs.

Old Post 04-29-2018 04:07 AM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote