UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dear Mr. Elvis
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Dear Mr. Elvis

While returning from Walker Days I had plenty of thought provoking drive time and it occurred to me that I needed your expert input on the topic of 'global warming'.
I observed that the flavor of the month type of coon dog is the deep and alone model. There is a lot of opinions about what is causing global warming and it occurred to me that the coon hunters desire for this type of coon dog that needlessly
travels long distances to tree a coon is destroying ozone by producing excessive carbon dioxide from hunters, the dogs and the truck exhaust from having to burn extra fuel to retrieve the treed dog. Not to mention the calories burnt by the dog having to tree a long time. Deep and alone dogs are increasing their carbon footprint.
What is your opinion and how can we coon hunters be more responsible and save the planet ?
Thanks in advance.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-24-2018 07:13 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Dogs that don't pay attention to other dogs, hystle, and tree coons are doing what a coondog is suppose to do. That often results in them being deep and alone. Just get you one that trees 5 on the way to them. Everyone will start breeding to it and it will change coonhound history forever. I'm not saying some of those dogs are not passing up coons but I had a cast complain about mine one night. We scored 7 trees there's made in one hour and not one eyeball was seen. When there idiots shut up I finally treed mine in there at 1.6. She had the evidence. Everyone complained all the way to her. I can walk 3 miles easily in a hour. We never stoped walking scoring trees for the first hour. Mine walked us 1.6 and showed us a coon. There's walked us 3 miles plus and showed us nothing. Which dogs wasted more air.

Old Post 04-24-2018 09:48 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

What do you do when you got a little wind at your back?

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 04-24-2018 10:18 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
What do you do when you got a little wind at your back?

I've lost a bunch being out of hearing. Bottom line. Shot through the world just one 2 major hunts in one month. He won around 50k by my calculations. Watch the play by plays. He's a big hunter that's alone that's going to have the coon. The world are not full of ones like him. Deep and alone don't win. But if you want to win at an elite level it's going to be part of it a lot of nights. People say you live and die by it. Well that's for any style. The rules are set to give everyone a chance to win.

Old Post 04-24-2018 10:26 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

i could walk 3 miles in an hour maybe in the area i have to hunt. the hill are bad enough and if ya walk 3 miles the first hour i can nearly guarantee the next hour and 3 miles later wont be very enjoyable.

i like a dog that hunts hard and fast and gets the job done alone if needed type dog. sometimes i wonder if we are heading the right direction with the deep and alone stuff. think about it who wants to walk further than they have to. how many guides have 6 miles {yes 6 miles cause a true cast of deep and alone and there is no way your calling time out} of hunting permission let alone road free hunting.

Old Post 04-25-2018 12:57 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm almost 75 years old and I can walk three miles, but sure don't want to if I don't have to. And I don't have to, to see coons.

Old Post 04-25-2018 01:45 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andycanada
UKC Forum Member

Deep an alone

In my opinion they bring on trouble !! Where I live our area host several big events an each year we lose territory to hunt, some of it is lost by ticked off land owners with a dog treed in there back yard 2 miles away from where you turned loose! Don't get me wrong it's nice when you win with it but I can't understand why tree one through the country when you pass up several to get by yourself

Poison Magic Ghost
(Grnitech Harry's Finley River Jeb x Nitech Poison Houdini Ghost)

Nitech Poison Houdini Ghost
(Dual Grand All Grand Trackman x Grnitech Poison Spooky Ghost)

RIP
Grnitech Poison Spooky Ghost
(Dual Grand Big Creek Rat Tat x Nitech Poison White Ghost)

Old Post 04-25-2018 02:17 AM
andycanada is offline Click Here to See the Profile for andycanada Click here to Send andycanada a Private Message Click Here to Email andycanada Find more posts by andycanada Add andycanada to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Midnightghost
UKC Forum Member

I'm with Ken the dogs of today have been ruined. They are breeding the ability out of dogs to the get deep and lonly. Four one most of them are bushwack dogs and I would say 90% are shocked beat and kicked to do that. If they had to complete against dogs on coon tracks bet there not much of a coondog there. Secondly it is easy to beat them when they tree a mile from you just call time out on them for being on posted ground. In our country no way you can have permission to cover how far they are going. I like one to split tree to but being stupid is another thing.

Old Post 04-25-2018 05:27 AM
Midnightghost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Midnightghost Click here to Send Midnightghost a Private Message Click Here to Email Midnightghost Find more posts by Midnightghost Add Midnightghost to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

230 yards from the truck tonight . 50 yards would have suited me just fine . lol

Old Post 04-25-2018 06:24 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

Have the majority of coonhunters become lazy or are the old guys just tired of walking? I hunt deer with dogs here where I live too and the hot convo is let’s breed more speed and drive into our hounds., but coonhunters complain their dogs hunt out to far. Very interesting to me. My cooner better hunt as far as it takes or as short as it takes.

Old Post 04-25-2018 01:16 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

Where I live and hunt, if a dog won't go a big hunting you won't strike many coons.

What aggravates me is when you cut them loose and it's the Kentucky Derby.

A dog ought to leave your leash looking for a coon.

A lot of the dogs I hunt with,and even mine at times, do a lot of just running until they knock the edge off, before they really start hunting.

Old Post 04-25-2018 03:01 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
Dogs that don't pay attention to other dogs, hystle, and tree coons are doing what a coondog is suppose to do..........

Who decided that? I thought that a coondog was supposed to hunt with the dogs you turned it loose with. That is the way a real coondog was for 50 years. When did these people decide that a coondog was supposed to hunt by itself and leave where you turned it loose to try and get away from the other dogs? And why?

Old Post 04-25-2018 03:20 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluestorm
UKC Forum Member

Deep and lonely lol, I love it. Storm treed aden last night 300 yards away, a coon about 400, another coon around 300, then sat treed a mile deep with another den.

2018 Fred Lingo Memorial & BBOA Zone 4 Championship King of the Hunt
2018 6th place and overall high scoring bluetick, UKC Youth Nationals
2018 BBOA Zone 4 Hunt Dog of the Year
Double Cast Winner at the 2019 National Bluetick Days
2020 UKC world qualifier
CW at bluetick days RQE
Qualified for 2021 UKC world hunt

Old Post 04-25-2018 03:22 PM
bluestorm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluestorm Click here to Send bluestorm a Private Message Click Here to Email bluestorm Find more posts by bluestorm Add bluestorm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duvall
UKC Forum Member

Dog that thinks for itself will normally make less mistakes in a cast of dogs, I don't want mine to be an idiot just because I drew 3 idiots. jmo

Old Post 04-25-2018 03:33 PM
duvall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duvall Click here to Send duvall a Private Message Click Here to Email duvall Find more posts by duvall Add duvall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Is an animal such as a dog capable of rational thought? Or do they just follow their natural instict and/or training?

Old Post 04-25-2018 03:41 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Who decided that? I thought that a coondog was supposed to hunt with the dogs you turned it loose with. That is the way a real coondog was for 50 years. When did these people decide that a coondog was supposed to hunt by itself and leave where you turned it loose to try and get away from the other dogs? And why?

Here is the question. Are they trying to get away or are they not paying attention. Time hand compitition hunting has changed our hounds. Dogs are a pack animal, however in the wild the pack leaders often leaves the pack to hunt. The rest of the pack follows them because the pack depends on the Alfa dog for food. That's why dogs have become more independent. We have breed for more pack leaders. Hounds do not have to be deep and alone to suit me. The need to consistently be where the coon is. I'm not ashamed at taking 2nd trees. What I will not tolerate is one that covers on slicks. When you absolutely will not tolerate slick treeing and dogs that cover up them then your hounds ability will often put them alone and deep.

Old Post 04-25-2018 04:23 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
Here is the question: Are they trying to get away or are they not paying attention?......

Does that question have an answer? One man's "trying to get away" is another man's "not paying attention". It is kinda like the question, "is the glass half full or half empty"?

Old Post 04-25-2018 04:48 PM
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Kry,

If there are cows around those deep and lonely dogs the carbon foot print is even greater. As those dogs are racing across pasture lands they scare extra methane from the cows.

Ssssh ... we need to keep this on the down low. Or we will never know when the EPA may want to start regulating coon hunting.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 04-25-2018 05:25 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier
UKC Forum Member

Deep and Alone

I am sure there are places where a dog has to be deep and alone or GO DEEP to tree a coon. I get that. Here in Indiana where I live...isn't one of them. I prefer CLOSE AND ALONE! Last night my dog made 4 trees with a coon in each one of them...singles. The first she cold tracked and got treed 500 yards away. The other 3 were ALL less than 100 yards away.

In my area, deep and alone starts creating issues for you and your dog. Mainly posted property and crossing roads.

What is the attitude of the handler of Deep and Alone when he sees 2-3 coons on the way to D & A...or walking a mile to a nice empty tree? I know what mine would be!

Just sayin.......

Old Post 04-25-2018 06:03 PM
Hoosier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Click here to Send Hoosier a Private Message Click Here to Email Hoosier Find more posts by Hoosier Add Hoosier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I am sure glad that Trump pulled out of the Paris Peace Accord. I heard that President Macord of France came over here to discuss putting some new regulations on coonhunters.

Old Post 04-25-2018 06:19 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Is an animal such as a dog capable of rational thought? Or do they just follow their natural instict and/or training?

Ever seen a dog figure something out? Like how to open their pen? That should answer your question.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 04-25-2018 11:45 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Aren't they just mimicing your actions?
Does your dog think to himself, hmmm, I think that I will tree a possum and see what my owner does.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 04-26-2018 at 12:03 AM

Old Post 04-25-2018 11:59 PM
Jparker
UKC Forum Member

Mine climbs the wire to get out his pen im pretty sure he thought that up on his own cuz my big behind hasnt climb no fence and i dont have any other one to show him

Old Post 04-26-2018 04:53 AM
Jparker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jparker Click here to Send Jparker a Private Message Click Here to Email Jparker Find more posts by Jparker Add Jparker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Mr Lambert

There U go asking rational questions about a subjects that just make me say HUMMMMM. Do people honestly believe that a dog can think for himself, have rational thoughts. if so it may be impossible to EVER train it to do something it thought was to hard to accomplish.
To my friend joey's comment I would say if that dog never watch U open the gate he would never be able tho THINK the situation out. A DOG BEING ABLE TO MAKE RATIONAL DECISIONS TO ME OS A SCARY THOUGHT.
BUT what do i know I just THOUGHT this reply up.

Old Post 04-26-2018 02:05 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Lot of good answers and comments here.

First of all and something that I think we miss is.
Anything a dog does can be a FAULT. Even the things we want them to do, if they consistently take it to an extreme. I want mine to hunt deep if necessary. But I don't want it doing it in a straight line and going by coon to just get away. That is a fault to me.

Thats what we overlook when we get hashing out hard hunting or deep hunting dogs. Most want one to hunt and have the drive to keep hunting. But, just like the dog that trees to many slick trees. We can breed the dog that hunts to far. Many reasons for this and they are faults. Perhaps that dog doesn't have the ability to smell or excitement level to run the tracks it is going by.

I just hate it when people see a deep hunting dog that gets deep if it NEEDS to and compares it to a deep hunting dog that does it because it is a FAULT in his breeding. There is a difference.

Three drops off trees in the same area a couple nights ago. One coon within 100 yards, second coon probably 100 yards from that but the dog probably traveled 400 or 500 yards on the track. But from that tree and the dog had to hunt a little further to find one. Made a couple semi circles, crossed a couple dirt roads and came treed perhaps 3/4 miles away. If he hadn't found the last coon he might have been 1.5 miles away but the Garmin showed he was looking in the right spots for a coon so I can't fault him it he had to go some distance to get the job done.

Old Post 04-26-2018 02:41 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote