UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon catching theory
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Joey I would really like to hunt with you sometime this fall. Live in Siloam Springs. Would like to see your dogs go. I always enjoy hunting with good dogs.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-14-2019 07:24 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14
I sure would love to see him go right here. You are welcome anytime. Come for a week nov.-feb. Won’t have many pop ups that time a year so I would at least get to watch him run some tracks or catch some tracks that way. In no way am I being a smart butt either. If he can do that here I’ve got a female I sure would like bred to him.
If he has any grit about him, he would be my type of bear dog.

I say right here because my coon don’t circle and duck and dodge like a bobcat. At least I’ve never ran a coon long enough for it to make a circle. It would make for an interesting experiment for me anyway.

Do you ever hunt white river refuge? I could meet you there. Its about the only place I get to go that time of year. We are slammed at work through the fall and winter.

You say they don't duck and dodge but I would bet they do. Its in their nature. You have seen dogs running a good track and make a short loose? Then the track make a hard turn or goes the other way? Its those times when he catches them. When they are running a track and everything goes quite and they are trying to pick it back up.

Tom, your welcome here anytime. I have better hunting this time of year than I do in the fall and winter.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-14-2019 07:53 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Joey if you have been close enough to him when coming on a tree. Do you notice that sometimes he would come into the tree making you think he is seeing the coon up there instead of smelling it on the side of the tree? These dogs have a lot of different styles. Just when you thought you have seen it all. Something new pops up.

Haven't seen that but You can see him on the Garmin covering country, then all of a sudden he will make a circle, then a tighter circle. Then just fall treed with nothing on the ground. When he does this the coon is almost always in the first fork or out on a low limb. If they are out on a limb he will be treeing at the base but looking in the direction of the coon. He doesn't do this near as much in the summer time.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-14-2019 08:10 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like a very cool anomaly of a dog. I am sure in any species with a huge population there are just abnormally skilled or sized portions of the population that can't be explained.......sounds like you got the far end of the spectrum! Very cool to read about.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 06-14-2019 09:08 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm impressed with a dog that struck 150 tracks in 4 years.

Old Post 06-14-2019 09:23 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Joey you might remember gene underwood he has passed but he had a dog named rock he was a grandson of spring creek rock and buffalo river thunder. He did it a lot but he always tightened up a hundred yards before he caught the coon.

Tar

Old Post 06-14-2019 09:53 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

My uncle had B&T that would catch 1 or 2 a month. He was open track dog and fast of track dog I ever been with. He got killed about time turned 3. But he would do crazy stuff. If he ever struck coon out back truck and went on he go bout mile back. Seem like if you ever treed coon and ever went back same spot next night or 2 he always go direction he got treed. When he made loose he start making circles each one getting bigger until he picked track up. He was once in life time out fit.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 06-15-2019 12:51 AM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

Coons don't run all that fast anyway... In my younger days I caught quite a few that were in fields to far from a tree... Cross the road etc... Coons back then would really run especially when rutting. Today it seems as though they are already in a tree before I even load a dog in the truck. It's a short track to a tree... Usually 100 yards or less

Old Post 06-15-2019 01:16 AM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JB Cobb
Coons don't run all that fast anyway... In my younger days I caught quite a few that were in fields to far from a tree... Cross the road etc... Coons back then would really run especially when rutting. Today it seems as though they are already in a tree before I even load a dog in the truck. It's a short track to a tree... Usually 100 yards or less

Is it that the coon don't run as far anymore or the nose perhaps isn't as good as it was on the dogs you had years ago? Maybe the dogs you have now are better and faster track dogs? Maybe there are more trees now then there were before so coon go up quicker?

Old Post 06-15-2019 02:52 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I've been coon hunting for almost 60 years and I've seen less than ten coons caught. We got to the lease early one-night last winter and we're sorta bragging about running a coon two and a half hours with four dogs before he finally climbed. An old deer hunter standing there said, "Hell, that ain't nothing. We ran one four hours this morning with five fox hounds and I shot him crossing the road."

Old Post 06-15-2019 03:09 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

I had a hound I hunted for 9 years. He caught many coon. Most were caught in crop fields. Coon that refused to climb. He opened good on good tracks. He ran hard and had no quit. He picked a loose up fast. He caught many coon in waist high beans. How or why I cant explain. I have a two year old from that hound that's a nice track dog but he's tight mouth and only opens on hot running coon.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 06-15-2019 04:05 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I've been coon hunting for almost 60 years and I've seen less than ten coons caught. We got to the lease early one-night last winter and we're sorta bragging about running a coon two and a half hours with four dogs before he finally climbed. An old deer hunter standing there said, "Hell, that ain't nothing. We ran one four hours this morning with five fox hounds and I shot him crossing the road."

Heck my old female caught 2-3 a month. Even her daughter caught at least 10 in her life alone.

Truly fast track dogs spoil you.

The ones I have now are OK but they don't catch them like that ole female or even her daughter. The male I have now is 10 and I bet he ain't caught but 4-5 in his entire life.

Old Post 06-15-2019 04:16 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnb&t
UKC Forum Member

joey I absolutely believe you I hunted pair of mother daughter females for years that operated exactly like yours. the old mother dog still alive and can still tree a coon even in extreme old age. both dogs did it solo but real magic happened when together. my girls didn't reproduce to standards i hoped and threw tree climbers that culled some good young dogs. hunted all over and lotta people got to witness them 2-3 catches a night in every terrain every weather. got a nice dog now but not even in same discussion as her lineage. enjoy that run to catch dog because so far and few between it ain't funny. that's why most people responding say the stuff they are. wish I wasn't so busy with work and family would come watch dog go in a second!!! happy hunting, matt.

Old Post 06-15-2019 04:54 AM
mnb&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnb&t Click here to Send mnb&t a Private Message Find more posts by mnb&t Add mnb&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Being from Louisiana you understand what I'm talking about. lol You have to have a coon that wants to be caught to catch it in our woods. I'm 26 years old and have been hunting since I was around 4 years old. I can count on one hand how many coons I have seen caught on the ground. Not just my dogs but other dogs. The ones i have seen caught were either in bad shape with distemper or a big boar during the rut.

Old Post 06-17-2019 03:44 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Neal Stocks
UKC Forum Member

GPent I've been with this hound and he's exactly as described. What's more hes gonna catch coons wherever hes turned loose, wether its in ark, la, mich., or the amazon rain forest. Your woods aint no different than any other. Ive hunted in Louisiana, Miss., Texas, all over the place and not a lot of difference in conditions. The difference is in the dog, he hunts coons different than most dogs. I also hunted the Curtis dog Joey mentioned and he was the same type of hound and the best coon killing dog ive ever seen. He did not fight coons at all, just grabbed them and killed them.

Old Post 06-18-2019 04:40 PM
Neal Stocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Neal Stocks Click here to Send Neal Stocks a Private Message Click Here to Email Neal Stocks Find more posts by Neal Stocks Add Neal Stocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

I never said it wasn't true. I just said i'd like to see it.

Old Post 06-18-2019 08:11 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chaz2012
Banned

How much is this coon catching fool ?

Charlie Portwood Jr.

Old Post 06-18-2019 08:17 PM
chaz2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chaz2012 Click here to Send chaz2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email chaz2012 Find more posts by chaz2012 Add chaz2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

The most interesting part of this is that he catches more coons than faster dogs. He must know a trick that other dogs don't know. And why does a coon allow himself to be caught when he's in the woods with trees all around him?

Last edited by shadinc on 06-18-2019 at 08:24 PM

Old Post 06-18-2019 08:22 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
The most interesting part of this is that he catches more coons than faster dogs. He must know a trick that other dogs don't know. And why does a coon allow himself to be caught when he's in the woods with trees all around him?

I mentioned how I seen him catch one and I think it's how he probably does it everytime. He is fast enough to pressure a coon. I might not be giving him credit for just how fast he is but I've had faster. It took me a longtime to figure out that when a dog gets close on a coon they will squat or duck down behind something. I've seen them do it several times when you dump out on them crossing a road. Most run in the ditch and hide in tall grass to let the dog run by. They do the same thing when being pressured. I think he is body scenting them where they are hiding.

The first night he ever caught a coon he caught 2 and both times he was running a track with another dog. The other dog treed and shortly after you would here a coon squalling. He caught both within 50 yards of the other dog treed. The other dog was my old dog and was faster than him.

I really wish he would quit its gotten so that's what he is looking to do instead of getting treed as much as he should.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-19-2019 12:55 AM
GES
UKC Forum Member

Please post his pedigree or PM it to me. I'd like to try and determine if it is a trait that is unique to a certain bloodline or family of dogs. Thanks,

GES

Old Post 06-19-2019 01:33 AM
GES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GES Click here to Send GES a Private Message Find more posts by GES Add GES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Yea this is what is strange.... Our coons as I said before seem to be up a tree before you can unsnap the leash.

Old Post 06-19-2019 02:31 AM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GES
Please post his pedigree or PM it to me. I'd like to try and determine if it is a trait that is unique to a certain bloodline or family of dogs. Thanks,

GES

He is out of Cold sweat and a litter mate female to DR. Law.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-19-2019 04:46 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JB Cobb
Yea this is what is strange.... Our coons as I said before seem to be up a tree before you can unsnap the leash.

If they are not moving much ours are the same way. We have treed over 200 coon sense the beginning of April. So we have a lot of coon. He hasn't treed all those.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-19-2019 04:48 AM
chaz2012
Banned

I heard that the other dog was so good and they hate getting shot so bad that they are just jumping out of trees on this one ,hoping to get away and you think he is catching them <

Charlie Portwood Jr.

Old Post 06-19-2019 09:11 PM
chaz2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chaz2012 Click here to Send chaz2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email chaz2012 Find more posts by chaz2012 Add chaz2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bdeventer
UKC Forum Member

Sounds kind of funny but my dad says it’s the tone of the dogs voice, had one that was open trailer and not that fast but would catch a lot. Said his voice didn’t scare them .

Old Post 06-20-2019 02:17 AM
bdeventer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bdeventer Click here to Send bdeventer a Private Message Find more posts by bdeventer Add bdeventer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote