UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > My female having issues
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Stephen Patton
UKC Forum Member

My female having issues

My wipeout female started treeing coons at 13 months old. She was treeing coons and being very accurate. Get through the country strike called tracks and finish them. She was looking like a really good prospect. Track dog and tree dog deluxe! She got bred accidentally and I ended up raising the pups. She had no problems giving berth and was a very good momma. I weaned pups at 5 weeks old and let her dry up and put her back in the woods. She treed a few coons at first but she was quitting tracks and leaving trees. She never did any of this before. Now she quits tracks comes back in to me. She won't tree and acts like she doesn't won't to hunt anymore. I'm talking about a dog that trees 120 barks a minute tree dog! Now shes losing her hair on her sides.Does anybody have any input on what may be wrong. Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-15-2018 03:38 AM
Stephen Patton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stephen Patton Click here to Send Stephen Patton a Private Message Click Here to Email Stephen Patton Find more posts by Stephen Patton Add Stephen Patton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Hormone imbalance.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-15-2018 04:35 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stephen Patton
UKC Forum Member

What to do to treat hormone issue? Could it be Thyroids?

Old Post 06-15-2018 04:42 AM
Stephen Patton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stephen Patton Click here to Send Stephen Patton a Private Message Click Here to Email Stephen Patton Find more posts by Stephen Patton Add Stephen Patton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

It’s hard to say for sure what’s going on but it’s dang sure hot and humid and coons are in that summer time pattern here of moving before dark and going back up and not coming down until late. I'm not having as good of hunts as I was a month ago. You add in on top of that she is young and out of shape from being laid up raising pups and I would expect her to not look as good.

Old Post 06-15-2018 05:02 AM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Patton
What to do to treat hormone issue? Could it be Thyroids?

I'm not going to tell you she's not but what I can tell you is that after weaning the hair loss process is normal and that many females act crazy during and around heat cycle and following pregnancy put that with the heat of summer and being out of shape. Usually everything goes back into line on it's own with a couple of months. Vets can test and supplement in extreme cases.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-15-2018 02:33 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Vets will tell you not to test for hypothyroidism during or right after pregnancy.
It isn't just dogs. All females can go through post partem depression. And I have had several girlfriends that I just stayed away from when they were "in heat". And human females come in heat once a month. Also you don't want to get near some mares when they are in heat. Trainers have to implant them with birth control meds so they won't come in heat.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-15-2018 at 02:52 PM

Old Post 06-15-2018 02:49 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trkrmsy
UKC Forum Member

My female raised a litter of 11 pups last summer. I started hunting her as soon as she dried up and she acted like a completely different dog. She hardly ever treed possums before but after the pups she treed several a night. She still treed coons but it just wasn't the same as before. It took a couple months before she started acting halfway normal but after she came in heat again it seemed like she was back to normal.

She had the hair loss for awhile too. I gave her vitamins with her food for a couple months but I don't know if it helped anything.

Old Post 06-15-2018 08:31 PM
trkrmsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trkrmsy Click here to Send trkrmsy a Private Message Find more posts by trkrmsy Add trkrmsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cole run
UKC Forum Member

Sometimes it takes a while to get back to normal just keep hunting her she should come around

Old Post 06-15-2018 08:55 PM
cole run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cole run Click here to Send cole run a Private Message Find more posts by cole run Add cole run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stephen Patton
UKC Forum Member

Thanks to all your comments so far. It helps to get different opinions. I've been hunting for long time and have never seen this before. I've raised lots of pups and hunted lots of females but never seen one act like this. This female was looking better than any I had ever owned!! I hope she comes back around and if she does you should see her in the winners circle at next spring super stakes!! She was that nice!

Old Post 06-15-2018 09:49 PM
4play
UKC Forum Member

JMO

Have blood drawn by a reputable 'up to date' Vet.
have a tick titer panel done.
also have thyroid level checked.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 06-15-2018 10:33 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: JMO

quote:
Originally posted by 4play

Thyriod panel will not have accurate results for a while because of the changes in hormone levels after pregnancy or even near a heat cycle. The hair loss is normal after weaning as I stated above. A females energy is spent on pregnancy then nursing afterwards they will start regerating hair growth in follicles again and often will have access shedding and even bald patches during the process until everything is leveled back out again. If she is eating good and seems to be feeling fine you are most likely dealing with normal post litter issues if not see your vet for a check-up.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-16-2018 01:38 AM
DwayneWhite
UKC Forum Member

Re: JMO

This would be a good idea

quote:
Originally posted by 4play

Old Post 06-18-2018 08:52 PM
DwayneWhite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DwayneWhite Click here to Send DwayneWhite a Private Message Click Here to Email DwayneWhite Find more posts by DwayneWhite Add DwayneWhite to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote