UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > heartworm preventive
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
zman7
UKC Forum Member

heartworm preventive

are there any alternatives to ivomec have heard some talk about ivomec not working as it used to thanks for any input

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-15-2020 09:47 PM
zman7 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zman7 Click here to Send zman7 a Private Message Click Here to Email zman7 Find more posts by zman7 Add zman7 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

This is my opinion and not based on scientific data...just common sense...

The recipe has been .5 cc or .5 mil for a 50 pound dog...many folks follow that recipe like it were gospel...I give triple that and give it every other month...my dogs are all negative...

Old Post 03-15-2020 10:53 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Waller
New UKC Forum Member

Ivermectin

I’ve used ivermectin since back in the 80’s, but I stopped after I learned that some dogs were showing resistance to it and it was losing effectiveness in some cases.
You don’t have to take my word for it. If you have a good dog vet, they’ll tell you the same thing.

Old Post 03-22-2020 08:25 AM
Chris Waller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Waller Click here to Send Chris Waller a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris Waller Find more posts by Chris Waller Add Chris Waller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

Reuben

If I'm any good wit Fractions 1 1/2 cc for 50 lbs? I've often thought the 1/2 cc was a little weak. How long have you been doing this for? I'd say the reason ivomec doesn't so called work is because or dosages are bit weak.

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Old Post 03-22-2020 02:05 PM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

I think the main reason some dogs test positive for heart worms while on Ivomec is because it isn’t given consistently. I’ve got hunting buddies that don’t give in the winter and sometimes go 2 months or more before giving it in the summer. I give it the first day of the month year round and never have a positive test.

Old Post 03-22-2020 02:10 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2nd Mac
I think the main reason some dogs test positive for heart worms while on Ivomec is because it isn’t given consistently. I’ve got hunting buddies that don’t give in the winter and sometimes go 2 months or more before giving it in the summer. I give it the first day of the month year round and never have a positive test.
Exactley ....there's no science or research to support ivermectin does not work only rumors and what someone thinks , what happens ? Folks forget, Improper dosage, skip, etc....if you have the research, studies , or documents please post, there is none,only rumors

Old Post 03-22-2020 02:43 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redneckcoondog
UKC Forum Member

1/10 of cc for every 10 pouds body weight was told this by my vet never had heart worms

Old Post 03-22-2020 06:01 PM
redneckcoondog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redneckcoondog Click here to Send redneckcoondog a Private Message Click Here to Email redneckcoondog Find more posts by redneckcoondog Add redneckcoondog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redneckcoondog
UKC Forum Member

1/10 of cc for every 10 pouds body weight was told this by my vet never had heart worms

Old Post 03-22-2020 06:01 PM
redneckcoondog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redneckcoondog Click here to Send redneckcoondog a Private Message Click Here to Email redneckcoondog Find more posts by redneckcoondog Add redneckcoondog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zman7
UKC Forum Member

if ivomec is no longer working what is the alternative thanks in advance

Old Post 03-22-2020 06:26 PM
zman7 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zman7 Click here to Send zman7 a Private Message Click Here to Email zman7 Find more posts by zman7 Add zman7 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Ivermectin

Keep your dog inside and don't hunt in mosquito season, there is no other proven alternative to some form of ivermectin on the market, correct dosage,consistent usage , sprays, dips, drops, help mosquitos stay away but do not prevent heart worms .....

Old Post 03-22-2020 07:44 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Waller
New UKC Forum Member

Ivermectin

It still works in dogs. But, like any wormer over time, there is evidence that some resistance to its effectiveness is showing up in dogs. I personally had one out of four. All given the same dose, like religion, every month. I have used it extensively since the 80’s and thought it was foolproof.
I take the blame for my own experience, because I had been reading in livestock magazines over the last few years that sheep and cattle were getting some resistance to worm removal with ivermectin. I ignored it with my use in dogs, because it had always worked for me, until it didn’t. After that, I started checking not only with my Veterinarian, but others in my area. They all said the same thing. Some still use it, but there is evidence that there is some resistance and their numbers of positives are increasing. I print this only as an aid in passing on my experience with the hope that it will help someone else. Use what you want to use. Personally, I’m not going to load ammunition that I no longer have faith in, and I’m not going to use a wormer I’ve found to be lacking in accuracy.

Old Post 03-22-2020 10:37 PM
Chris Waller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Waller Click here to Send Chris Waller a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris Waller Find more posts by Chris Waller Add Chris Waller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Ivermectin

I understand your concerns I also have a ( good ) vet actually a very good vet clinic not for poodles and lap dogs, so please post your (evidence ) from your vet documentation, studies, findings, research, etc so we all might learn, my ( good) vet tells me there's no documents , to support such rumors....

Old Post 03-22-2020 11:30 PM
spencer smith
UKC Forum Member

I seen at veterinary office they had six month shot for heart worms, with there test and shot was like 180$ anybody less seen this heart worm shot?

Old Post 03-23-2020 12:44 AM
spencer smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spencer smith Click here to Send spencer smith a Private Message Click Here to Email spencer smith Find more posts by spencer smith Add spencer smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Waller
New UKC Forum Member

Ivermectin

This is my last post on this. My only concern was to help. I was one of those people that believed that positives with Ivermectin only came up because of failed administration, until it happened to me. Then I learned that I was wrong. It was a shot to my ego, and guilt in admission of not opening my eyes to what I should have realized could happen. I never considered myself a science denier, but that’s what I was doing.
I use Interceptor Plus. I don’t know if it’s the best, but my Veterinarian recommended it and I feel safe with it. I test yearly as well as send a test off to be checked as well.
I haven’t been around the world three times, but I’ve had contact with a lot of Vets over the years and I would put the two Vets I use up against anyone in the country.
In regards to the gentleman asking for documentation.... No disrespect, but do your own homework. Go to Google, it’s all over the place, dating back over a decade. Make your own decisions, I did. I believe in science.
One last thought: At one time Roundup worked on everything out in the field. Last time I checked, Roundup is now resistant to 22 types of weeds. It’s still in use and works pretty well on some species, but it’s not a “cure all” anymore.... If we believe things are always going to be the same, we’re putting ourselves behind the curve. The only constant in life, is change. I believe in science.

Old Post 03-23-2020 01:24 AM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Ivermectin

Again, I have hounds also and no disrespect intended, and my last post also, GOOGLE, FAKEBOOK,TWITTER,IS NOT SCIENCE,I'm sure there's an exception to everything, put the millions of dogs on some sort of ivermectin meds and do the math, this is not a contest, or a argument, just a statement,when a better product becomes available with a proven track record for 40 + years I'll try to use it if I can, until then good hunting to ya....

Last edited by Cotton 1927 on 03-23-2020 at 02:04 AM

Old Post 03-23-2020 01:58 AM
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by spencer smith
I seen at veterinary office they had six month shot for heart worms, with there test and shot was like 180$ anybody less seen this heart worm shot?

I talked to my vet about it and asked him what was the most effective. The shot is called Pro-heart and it cost me about $50 or so. The last time I went in, I was told they also had one that was effective for a year. The cost was double that. I have an OMC that has been on it since 6 months old. I think that is minimum age. He told me that this was most effective since it helped with the fact that in some cases; Hear Guard had some resistance.

Old Post 03-23-2020 02:40 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by zman7
if ivomec is no longer working what is the alternative thanks in advance
Sir I sent you a pm and your mail box is full

Old Post 03-23-2020 03:17 AM
spencer smith
UKC Forum Member

Dose Ivomec have anything to do with female coming in to their heat cycle? I ivomec my dog to, never had problems with it at all. Do have problem with them coming in.

Old Post 03-23-2020 03:17 AM
spencer smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spencer smith Click here to Send spencer smith a Private Message Click Here to Email spencer smith Find more posts by spencer smith Add spencer smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Advantage multi is what I have my dogs on after having 1 test positive using heart guard for years .if I had been getting my heart guard from a vet instead of saving $ getting it from Canada on the inter web the 700$ it cost me to treat my dog would have been reinburst to me is what my vet told me. And yes some skeeters have built up immunity to ivomic in the miss. Valley.

Old Post 03-23-2020 04:15 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Advantage multi is what I have my dogs on after having 1 test positive using heart guard for years .if I had been getting my heart guard from a vet instead of saving $ getting it from Canada on the inter web the 700$ it cost me to treat my dog would have been reinburst to me is what my vet told me. And yes some skeeters have built up immunity to ivomic in the miss. Valley.

Old Post 03-23-2020 04:15 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BEST EVER
Banned

PRO HEART 12 a once a year shot for all worms but tape. They also have one that is called PRO HEART 6 which is for 6 months. I use the PRO HEART 12.

GRNTCHGRCH PR Super Blue Riptide
GRNITECH 'PR' Prairie Creek Blue Big Horn

Mark Robbins Home : 812-547-1358 cell 812-309-8290
Corey Robbins Cell : 812-608-1645 / Home 812-547-2775

Old Post 03-23-2020 11:13 AM
BEST EVER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BEST EVER Click here to Send BEST EVER a Private Message Find more posts by BEST EVER Add BEST EVER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

Interceptor

if you seem to be having problems with the Ivomec products, you can get interceptor from a vet... I know of a couple of fellows that had problems with their hounds having seizures and they went to a vet for interceptor and it solved the problem

Old Post 03-23-2020 01:45 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zman7
UKC Forum Member

cotton 1927 i think i got my mailbox cleared out thanks

Old Post 03-25-2020 12:17 AM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

If you do the math, heartguard doesn’t have nearly the amount of ivomec in it that most people give a dog. 1/10th of a cc per 10 pounds of body weight is over 10 times the amount of ivomec in a heartguard pill for a 50 to 100 pound dog. I gave a 75 pound dog who was tested positive for heartwoms 1/10th of a cc every other week and in nine months he tested negative. The vet said that wasn’t enough ivomec for prevention but yet that dosage did work and was more ivomec that what was in the heartguard pill he was selling.

Old Post 03-25-2020 05:23 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

I use

Nexgard Spectra

Old Post 03-25-2020 09:39 PM
RatDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RatDog Click here to Send RatDog a Private Message Find more posts by RatDog Add RatDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote