UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Purina Dog Chow
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Re: John

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Lol. That little story was not meant towards you in anyway, it's for all those folks thinking that the best feed ( cost wise) and all of the other perks, dog box, etc. Makes them a better hunter or better dog, it does not. I have fed Purina for many years at times to a real coon dog, mostly to a average coon dog and all my dogs have done and looked good eating Purina feed. Dave

I didn't take it that way at all and I agree completely. Back when I was a teenager and hunting all night, every night, I remember entering a hunt one nut when it was still in the high 80's at dark and super humid. We turned the dogs loose and they went and made a tree. When we got to the tree the only dog that was treeing hard was my female, stretched up on the tree rolling out about 140 barks a minute. The other dogs were just doing their best to keep from getting overheated and rolling off the hillside. We got them off the tree and stopped at some water and those other three dogs rolled in the water and drank and drank and drank. My female barely even drank as she wasn't hot because she was in super shape and used to the heat. I'm sure back then that we were feeding some corn mix feed from the local co-op. Dogs seem a lot more sensitive to feed now than what I remembered them being years ago.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-28-2020 03:36 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog feed

quote:
Originally posted by rdmedders
This is only my thought on high end dog feeds verses low end or those in between. If a guys hound doesn’t win a hunt , he can always blame it on there dog feed!
Lots of guy want to have the best tracking system , best dog box and feed the most expensive dog feed!
That goes with deer hunting or bass fishing .
This think what the coon hunters fed there dogs 40 years ago?

I can tell you what we fed 40 years ago whatever we could get local and afford plus any scraps that came of the table and I do mean any, to me the big difference in dog health is the meds we can now purchase wormer, flea meds, heart worm products, antibiotics that were not so readily available back then,and I'm not sold on some of this super duper dog feed,I am sold on better worming practices.....

Old Post 01-28-2020 04:54 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I got 55 gal drums of broken bag food from the rail yard. That was 50 years ago and 55 gal cost less than a bag does today.

Let me say this. I think there are some unknowns about the feed we give our dogs. Maybe some better facts will come out in 10 or 15 years. The explosion of Thyroid problems, just isn't because a Wipeout dog was bred.

How about the deceased dogs from Kill Centers being sold to dog food companies. Which is suppose to be illegal.

Phenobarbital is showing up in dog food. How and why.

Phenobarbital is used to as the drug for Euthanasia.

Phenobarbital and glucocorticoids can cause a "sick euthyroid" pattern of low thyroid hormone levels without an increase in TSH. The mechanism by which phenobarbital exerts its effect are not clear but may include a central component.

Old Post 01-28-2020 08:25 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SLR
UKC Forum Member

Feed

My granddaddy fox hunted every morning until daylight came in fixed 2 big pones of corn bread put bacon grease on it dogs stayed fat and slick

Old Post 01-28-2020 10:16 PM
SLR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SLR Click here to Send SLR a Private Message Click Here to Email SLR Find more posts by SLR Add SLR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joseph L.
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I got 55 gal drums of broken bag food from the rail yard. That was 50 years ago and 55 gal cost less than a bag does today.

Let me say this. I think there are some unknowns about the feed we give our dogs. Maybe some better facts will come out in 10 or 15 years. The explosion of Thyroid problems, just isn't because a Wipeout dog was bred.

How about the deceased dogs from Kill Centers being sold to dog food companies. Which is suppose to be illegal.

Phenobarbital is showing up in dog food. How and why.

Phenobarbital is used to as the drug for Euthanasia.

Phenobarbital and glucocorticoids can cause a "sick euthyroid" pattern of low thyroid hormone levels without an increase in TSH. The mechanism by which phenobarbital exerts its effect are not clear but may include a central component.

Do you really think this is happening,? I own a slaughter house and have worked it for 26 years. I've delt with rendering companies and inspectors this whole time. I would never guess dog food companies would be buying euthanized dogs to mix into there feed. Not even any horse slaughter houses in the us anymore. Dog food and such gets inspected like the food that you eat. Not sure where these dog kill centers are but I'd bet they don't head into dog food. I'm not trying to argue or be disrespectful at all, just stating facts

Joe levan

Old Post 01-28-2020 10:20 PM
Joseph L. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph L. Click here to Send Joseph L. a Private Message Click Here to Email Joseph L. Find more posts by Joseph L. Add Joseph L. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joseph L.
UKC Forum Member

Rendering companies that supply dog food companies won't even except any parts from a beef that's over 30 months old let alone a load of euthanized dogs

Joe levan

Old Post 01-28-2020 10:38 PM
Joseph L. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph L. Click here to Send Joseph L. a Private Message Click Here to Email Joseph L. Find more posts by Joseph L. Add Joseph L. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Spend some time searching on the internet. I have talked several vets the past couple years that also think there is a link. I will say. I dont really know. But something is going on. Dog foods have been tested positive for phenobarbital. That is a seperate subject on the internet. Where is it coming from. This goes back over 20 years. Phenobarbital has some affect on the thyroid. Phenobarbital is used to humanely kill animals. All those things are seperate subjects. Put them together along with the increase of thyroid dogs. Then you have a possible problem. Like I said. I dont really know. Something is wrong and if isnt all genetics.

Old Post 01-28-2020 11:43 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Read this
http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.ca/...ood-ingredient/

Old Post 01-28-2020 11:46 PM
Joseph L.
UKC Forum Member

All sorts of things you can find and read on here. I would like to think that stuff like this isn't going on. Not sure how it would, but?

Joe levan

Old Post 01-29-2020 12:33 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Read this
http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.ca/...ood-ingredient/

I was feeding a well known dog food all of a sudden they were out of it slobbering acting drugged. I took them off that feed and they got ok. I asked the sales rep because they have their own renderer. If it was true they were buying euthanized pets from major cities for cheap protein he denied it then gave me a free bag. That’s why I feed purina.

Tar

Old Post 01-29-2020 02:02 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

purina dog chow 57 pound bag on sale through feb. 23 for 18.98 a bag at sam's club time to stock up.

Old Post 01-29-2020 01:31 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

t me say this. I think there are some unknowns about the feed we give our dogs. Maybe some better facts will come out in 10 or 15 years. The explosion of Thyroid problems, just isn't because a Wipeout dog was bred.

I don’t know if thyroid and some of the other diseases are any more prevelant now than in years past or not. I think technology has advanced more people are having test ran that 15-20 years ago were very expensive and had to be done at a specialty clinic. 25 years ago how many people have a dog that just quit operations,like normal. You may have take. It to the vet had normal test,dome and dog had a clean bill of health. I would bet thyroid,lyres,heartworms etc played a role in some that just blew up.

Old Post 01-30-2020 03:33 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SHORN
UKC Forum Member

Does Sam's carry beef dog chow in any of its stores? It can be ordered on Sam's .com but my wife drives by one twice a day just easier to stop and buy it. I have switched to Purina one because the Sam's we shop at only carries chicken formula and I didn't like how my dogs were looking on it.

Old Post 01-30-2020 12:44 PM
SHORN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SHORN Click here to Send SHORN a Private Message Find more posts by SHORN Add SHORN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by SHORN
Does Sam's carry beef dog chow in any of its stores? It can be ordered on Sam's .com but my wife drives by one twice a day just easier to stop and buy it. I have switched to Purina one because the Sam's we shop at only carries chicken formula and I didn't like how my dogs were looking on it.

Put a little corn oil on it everyday when it’s cold you will see a difference.

Tar

Old Post 01-30-2020 12:58 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joseph L.
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Put a little corn oil on it everyday when it’s cold you will see a difference.

Tar

Absolutely! Works wonders. You can also buy cans of canned mackerel and mix in a 1/2 can each feeding for very little cost.

Joe levan

Old Post 01-30-2020 08:36 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Purina Dog Chow Hi Pro

Ordered 3 bags and received today, reminds me of the old Purina Hi Pro, dogs seem to love this feed, I am excited and hope it turns out as goid as the old Purina Hi Pro feed was, it's 29.99 for 50 pounds at Chewy.com. Dave

Old Post 01-30-2020 10:44 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

shorn

yes i have bought beef flavor purina at sams but i don't see it there every time i go. i think there is a 12 bag limit when on sale i get the limit and store it in a six foot chest freezer .

Old Post 01-30-2020 11:21 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

Re: Purina Dog Chow Hi Pro

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Ordered 3 bags and received today, reminds me of the old Purina Hi Pro, dogs seem to love this feed, I am excited and hope it turns out as goid as the old Purina Hi Pro feed was, it's 29.99 for 50 pounds at Chewy.com. Dave
Dave,exactly which blend are you talking about?Iwent to chewy and could not find any mention of hi pro.Are you just talking about regular dog chow or maybe beef flavored?Im asking because im currently feeding pro sport 30/20 and am thinking about cutting it with dog chow as you mentioned.Trying to pinch pennies a little bit.

Old Post 01-31-2020 05:16 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Critter

Must be very new it's called PURUNA DOG CHOW HIPRO, I ordered mine from Chewys.com just received 29.99 50 pound bag. Hope this helps you. Dave p.s. regular dog chow is still available at a cheaper price, I hope to just feed Dog Chow Hi Pro by itself after getting my dogs switched over completely.

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-31-2020 at 06:39 PM

Old Post 01-31-2020 06:36 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

Purina dog chow high protein

Tractor supply shows they have it for $29.99
Look at the ingredient list. #1 is corn #3 is corn gluten meal. Lot of corn which is very cheap. Lamb is listed #8 so doubt very much lamb. They are using the double corn ingredient like many dog food companies. I do feed dog chow to my lgd and mix with my hounds feed. Fat still 12% i think. Might b more. Cold weather i like more fat. Not posting as for or against just that lot of cheap corn in this formula for $30. Just my observation. Especially when can get pride 27/20 for $26.75 a bag.

Old Post 01-31-2020 08:02 PM
lblhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lblhunter Click here to Send lblhunter a Private Message Find more posts by lblhunter Add lblhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

Sams

Just got back from Sams.Already lost the receipt,dah but I got a 57 pound bag of dog chow for either $17 something or $ 19 something,supposedly with chicken.One third the price of pro sport.My old soup hounds may have to get used to eating a little junk food.

Old Post 01-31-2020 09:53 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

Sams club

I plan on getting a few bags at sams club myself. Our Pyrenees/English mastiff lgd likes the dog chow.

Old Post 01-31-2020 10:01 PM
lblhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lblhunter Click here to Send lblhunter a Private Message Find more posts by lblhunter Add lblhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Purina Dog Chow

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues
A lot of people feed their dogs Dog Chow and are super happy with it. The protein, fat, and ingredients aren’t exceptional compared to other feeds and would be considered in other brands to be a junk feed. My question is why does Dog Chow do a good job keeping dogs looking good when other comparable feeds don’t do as well or are considered junk feed?

Not that many years ago I read where some companies would add hair to raise the protein content and bone to raise the calcium content...they did this to make the dog food more appealing to the customer...but hair and bone is not digestible...just looks good on the ingredients label...

After reading that I saw a dog food with a higher protein content and I bought it because the price was right...when I opened the bag and looking at the dog food closely I could see the hairs in the dog food...

Also years ago if the bag said 100 percent complete for all stages of a dogs life then it had to meet those requirements...

Don’t know if all this still applies but I would think so...

Old Post 02-01-2020 12:34 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Dog Chow

Corn, beef and bone meal, and corn gluten meal as the first three ingredients in the bag that states made with real chicken.

Corn, chicken by products, and corn gluten meal as the first three ingredients in the bag that states made with real beef.

Corn, chicken by products, and corn gluten meal as the first three ingredients in the Hi Pro bag that states made with lamb.

On a Facebook post from Purina I asked the question how this was right to put on the bag that the different feeds were made with real whole chicken, real beef, or lamb when they weren’t even one of the main ingredients and were listed way down on the entire list of ingredients. The response from Purina was that the law was that they could list anything on the bag as long as it was greater than 3%, yes three percent, of the total ingredients.

Now how is that for marketing. Lol.

Old Post 03-08-2020 05:41 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Purina.....

Dogs are just that.....Dogs...!!!
They will eat Anything Rotten, Anything that stinks, they Love drinking out of an old Mud Puddle and dont care whats in it.

I dont care if Purina has Chicken Feet, Feathers, Beeks, Guts, etc.etc. in it........Most Dogs Love it and do Great on it.
Purina has been doing this for a Long Long time.....they really do Excel at it ....!!!
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 03-08-2020 03:14 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote