UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pride and Purina dog food
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mjgrigas
UKC Forum Member

Pride and Purina dog food

I was feeding my blue pup pro plan puppy. But at 47 dollars a bag for 34lbs. It became too expensive for a poor boy like me. Puppy chow is 36 or 37 bucks for 36lbs and I decided to try pride 30/20 puppy for my blue dog. 50lb bag. 30 bucks. It's not pro plan but pup looks good and may have gained a little. The stools are good but not quite as good as pro plan. Pup is turning 8 months so in about a month will switch to the green bag. I'm not saying pride is as good as pro plan but for the money it isn't bad. I still feed Purina to the other dogs. I belong to pro club but since they switched to receipts instead of weight circles haven't sent them in. I forget to save them. Basically what I'm saying is Purina is good food but pride isn't bad for the money also.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-26-2020 03:36 AM
mjgrigas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mjgrigas Click here to Send mjgrigas a Private Message Click Here to Email mjgrigas Find more posts by mjgrigas Add mjgrigas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Pride/Purina

I fed Purina for years, saved the weight circles and sent them in. When they went to the new system it was just too much trouble for this ole fella so I went out and shopped for a new brand. I'm not knocking Purina, I believe it's a good dog food but it seemed they were pricing themselves out of range for me and the new system did it for me. I tried several brands and finally settled on Pride Pro series in the lime green bag. It works very well for my dog and is much cheaper. I tried the orange bag but if you're not hunting on a regular basis it has too much protein and your dog's stool will get loose. All in all I'm very pleased with Pride. I know opinions will very but I can only speak for myself.

Old Post 06-26-2020 03:33 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

It's funny.. I prefer Purina's new system. I just take a picture of the receipt with my phone before I leave the parking lot, then upload it to the Purina site.... then never have to worry about it again.

Old Post 06-26-2020 09:03 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LSO1103
UKC Forum Member

I have tried nearly every dog food on the market, including Pride, Victor, Sportsmix, Diamond, Valuepak, you name it and I've tried it, and I can't personally find anything that I like as good as Pro Plan. It is a little pricey but to me it's worth it. Dogs look and act great and there is very little mess in the kennel. And as far as the new system for the purina points, I don't know how they could make it any easier. Just take a pic of the receipt and upload it to your pro club account. No cutting out weight circles, saving them, and mailing them in. The weight circles were a pain in the butt in my opinion.

Old Post 06-26-2020 10:57 PM
LSO1103 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LSO1103 Click here to Send LSO1103 a Private Message Click Here to Email LSO1103 Find more posts by LSO1103 Add LSO1103 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mjgrigas
UKC Forum Member

I'm not knocking Purina. I fed it for years and still do to the others dogs. It's financial to me. I have a truck payment and bills. I live on my friends farm and we have six dogs and two cats. All fed dog chow and Purina cat food. Only reason I put pup on pride from pro plan was price. Pro plan is great food if you can afford it. I don't particularly care for puppy chow. I didn't want to put my pup on dog chow at 7 months. Pride has worked out for her and I can buy it right uptown.

Old Post 06-27-2020 12:51 AM
mjgrigas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mjgrigas Click here to Send mjgrigas a Private Message Click Here to Email mjgrigas Find more posts by mjgrigas Add mjgrigas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Matt

Hey man, I understand your situation, do not let any comment offend you. We ALL would have certain things if we could afford them, but sometimes we have to settle for something different due to what we CAN afford. If Pride does a good job for your dog, then feed Pride without any regrets. I feed Purina these days, but fed what I could afford when money was tight. Thanks for passing the info on Pride to the rest of us, someone else may want to buy Pride dog food. Dave

Old Post 06-27-2020 01:00 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Nothing wrong with Pride at all as long as you feed the Pro Series. For the people feeding grain free the 30 20 is close to corn free and Pride has also came out with a grain free feed. I’ve fed both, plus the other pro series feeds, with good results. They are half or more less per bag than Pro Plan but close to the same results making the Pride a very good value feed. I am currently feeding Dog Chow because it’s easier to get, I’m not hunting much, and because of the Pro Club rebates and it does its job for the money. I’ve raised several pups on the Pride 30/20 and it is a very underrated feed. Does a great job for the pups and mothers

Old Post 06-27-2020 04:52 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Plott
UKC Forum Member

I fed pride for a while, but switched to Pro Plan since I’m not feeding many dogs. They ate pride just fine. They eat pro plan fine.
I’m real smart some times. Went to Tractor supply and they had their new 4heath “Strive” feed on sale. So I bought a couple bags. Integrated it in with the pro plan like you’re supposed to, now the dogs waste most of it. So I’m stuck with 70 something pounds of dog feed. Y’all don’t waste your money on this junk.

Old Post 06-27-2020 11:24 AM
Black Plott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Plott Click here to Send Black Plott a Private Message Click Here to Email Black Plott Find more posts by Black Plott Add Black Plott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Plott
UKC Forum Member

I fed pride for a while, but switched to Pro Plan since I’m not feeding many dogs. They ate pride just fine. They eat pro plan fine.
I’m real smart some times. Went to Tractor supply and they had their new 4heath “Strive” feed on sale. So I bought a couple bags. Integrated it in with the pro plan like you’re supposed to, now the dogs waste most of it. So I’m stuck with 70 something pounds of dog feed. Y’all don’t waste your money on this junk.

Old Post 06-27-2020 11:24 AM
Black Plott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Plott Click here to Send Black Plott a Private Message Click Here to Email Black Plott Find more posts by Black Plott Add Black Plott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote