UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Shine time & slick tree
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Shine time & slick tree

With 8 minutes left in the hunt you begin time to shine a tree. It takes 30 seconds to clearly see the raccoon had left before the hounds arrived at the tree. Judge is winning the cast and says he's using all the time to run the hunt time. What can be done to stop time?

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-24-2018 04:52 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

Does the judges dog hold 1st tree?

Old Post 05-24-2018 12:01 PM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeffrey robinso
UKC Forum Member

You can't stop him, every handler has the option of using as much shining time as they want up to 8 minutes.

Old Post 05-24-2018 12:21 PM
jeffrey robinso is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jeffrey robinso Click here to Send jeffrey robinso a Private Message Click Here to Email jeffrey robinso Find more posts by jeffrey robinso Add jeffrey robinso to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Just a question about the 8m shining time

Say the cast is using a NON HUNTING judge and say after 5m is up it is plain to see the tree and nothing could be in it , judge says tree is closed BUT I still have 3m shining time left and there are 5m left in the hunt who has the say so. meaning if judge closes tree then we have 8 m instead of 2m left to hunt. NA he don't have a dog in this one and don't even know any of the guys hunting in fact he is from another zip code.

Old Post 05-24-2018 01:28 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turman
UKC Forum Member

Was on a cast once where one dog treed on a hydro pole. Handler wanted the whole shine time. We voted slick after a minute. He questioned it and MOH supported us. Don't know if that was right by the rules but it was the right thing to do.

Old Post 05-24-2018 01:34 PM
turman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for turman Click here to Send turman a Private Message Click Here to Email turman Find more posts by turman Add turman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

The judge has 8 minutes to attempt to find a coon or a place of refuge. The rules say that 8 minutes can be used to score a tree. That is a fact of life. A handler is not "using up hunting time" unless he goes over that 8 minutes.

Old Post 05-24-2018 02:38 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think the logical thing (logical in a coonhunt LOL) if the tree is obviously slick. For the judge to say after one minute three minutes or anytime till once he makes that judgement is. " I am going to minus this tree if someone don't show me a place of refuge or the coon. If everyone is satisfied then we can move on now". Anyone that has a dog treed there has their complete time to shine the tree if they so choose.

Old Post 05-24-2018 02:53 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

I saw a hunting judge tell a guy that he better find a hole in the tree because he’s going to minus the tree. But instead the handler found the coon. To many make to quick of a decision

Old Post 05-24-2018 09:35 PM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

Delaying the cast ?

Old Post 05-25-2018 11:34 AM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

simple answer

Yes or No does the non hunting judge have the ultimate sayso in this. disregard the right to ?

Old Post 05-25-2018 12:08 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

UKC has the ultimate say so. They said 8 minutes.

Old Post 05-25-2018 01:23 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

I'm going to say "yes" ....1st dog treed, that handler controls the 1st. 2 min. of shine time....then it's open to the rest of the cast to score it ... BUT u do have the option to ? the non-hunting judge.... But most know where that will get u ...

Old Post 05-25-2018 02:55 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

The rule says 8 min. BUT there comes a point when everyone knows how the score is going to go. At that point who ever is continuing the shine time is delaying the cast. Its not as black and white as it sounds and is not something you can really give an opinion on without being there.

A big tree thats hard to shine and has places of refuge obviously could take the whole 8. Someone using 8 to shine a telephone pole is not the same situation. The hunting judge can not tell you to find a hole or he is going to minus anything. He is just one vote when it comes to a tree but I have heard several try it.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Last edited by joey on 05-25-2018 at 04:02 PM

Old Post 05-25-2018 03:59 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Those words "delaying the cast" should only be used in reference to a timeout situation . In terms of UKC rules, that is the only time you can delay the cast. Allen has made that clear multiple times on here and in the Advisor.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 05-25-2018 04:45 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Those words "delaying the cast" should only be used in reference to a timeout situation . In terms of UKC rules, that is the only time you can delay the cast. Allen has made that clear multiple times on here and in the Advisor.

Your right but that is referring to consequences for delaying the cast. I didn't mention anything like that but I should have worded it better. Once it is obvious all the handler is doing is using the time to "stall" then the majority of the cast can take a vote.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-25-2018 04:52 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

joey

WHERE did the word hunting judge come in to play? the question I asked said: NON HUNTING JUDGE AND NOT EVEN IN THE SAME ZIP CODE AS CAST MEMBERS. DANG that is how things get screwed up youy answer was not even in the ball park of the question.BIG TREE FIND A HOLE LIMBS COULD TOUCH is not in the question. Come on bud don't cloud the question.

Old Post 05-25-2018 05:00 PM
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

jiM

Do u have a opinion or even better answer?

Old Post 05-25-2018 05:02 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Meyer, actually you "clouded the original question" by adding non-hunting judge to the question. And several people answered your question. The rule says you have 8 minutes to shine a tree.

Old Post 05-25-2018 05:10 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: joey

quote:
Originally posted by H. L. Meyer
WHERE did the word hunting judge come in to play? the question I asked said: NON HUNTING JUDGE AND NOT EVEN IN THE SAME ZIP CODE AS CAST MEMBERS. DANG that is how things get screwed up youy answer was not even in the ball park of the question.BIG TREE FIND A HOLE LIMBS COULD TOUCH is not in the question. Come on bud don't cloud the question.

Sorry I wasn't replying to your question. I was replying to Strokin, I should have made that more clear.

To answer your question NO he has the ultimate say so in the tree score but the handler still has his 8 min. Unless as I stated before its a glaringly obvious slick and the handler is just stalling. As I said before its not a black and white question.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-25-2018 05:37 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

Look at it like this.

If the coon is found you don't get to keep shinning.
If it obviously slick the cast or non hunting judge can score it.
If there is any question that a coon could possibly be there you get 8 min.

The grey area comes in as to what is obviously slick?

Thats with a non hunting or hunting Judge.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-25-2018 05:44 PM
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Nope did not cloud NOTHING

I asked a total different question .

Old Post 05-25-2018 05:56 PM
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

OK

OBLIVIOUS SLICK i wont to keep shining cause I GET 8 MINUTES and have only used 3 minutes YOU as the NON HUNTING JUDGE said tree is closed lets move on MY QUESTION IS ONLY THIS CAN HE MAKE THAT DECISION

Old Post 05-25-2018 06:01 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: OK

quote:
Originally posted by H. L. Meyer
OBLIVIOUS SLICK i wont to keep shining cause I GET 8 MINUTES and have only used 3 minutes YOU as the NON HUNTING JUDGE said tree is closed lets move on MY QUESTION IS ONLY THIS CAN HE MAKE THAT DECISION

I answered that. Its a grey area, whats obviously slick to you, might not be the same to someone else. If its a fence post then yes he can score it without giving the 8 min. The wording that Allen gave when he interpreted it was a little vague.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-25-2018 06:30 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Look at it like this.

If the coon is found you don't get to keep shinning.
If it obviously slick the cast or non hunting judge can score it.
If there is any question that a coon could possibly be there you get 8 min.

The grey area comes in as to what is obviously slick?

Thats with a non hunting or hunting Judge.

I agree. The original question said it was obvious in 30 seconds the tree was slick and the judge was leading the cast and was gonna let the entire 8 mins elapse so he wouldn't have to turn loose again. Call for a vote, minus the tree, and finish the hunt.

Old Post 05-25-2018 08:41 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jawscardodger
UKC Forum Member

July Advisor
Allen Gingerich

Demanding Ten Minutes of Shining Time
Q: Even though it seems like a no-brainer, this question pops up every now and again. Can a handler demand that the whole ten minutes be used when scoring trees even though a coon was seen in the tree by a majority of the cast during the first five minutes of shining time or anytime before the ten is up?

A: The notion that additional shining time may be demanded after a coon has been seen is unreasonable. Yes, the rule states that ten minutes may be demanded. Demanded for what? Rule 8(f) If dog(s) declared treed, 10 minutes of hunting time may be demanded to search tree, or place of refuge, which is not a time out. No plus points will be awarded if coon is seen after 10 minutes shining time has elapsed. The rule states it may be demanded to search tree. Key word here is search. Once the majority of the cast has seen the coon, the search is over and no additional shining time may be demanded to be used by any handler at that particular tree.

Any cast member may demand all the time be used so long as a coon has not been seen, however, it would be unsportsmanlike to demand that the whole ten minutes be used on an obvious little slick tree for the sake of burning up hunt time or otherwise. In the event the handler is requiring additional shining time to check the same tree for off- game, they should be reminded that even if off-game is found it would be irrelevant and it would not change the scoring of the tree when a coon has already been seen.

Old Post 05-25-2018 09:23 PM
jawscardodger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jawscardodger Click here to Send jawscardodger a Private Message Click Here to Email jawscardodger Find more posts by jawscardodger Add jawscardodger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote