UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Honest Strike Dog
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Honest Strike Dog

Is a fourth strike dog an "honest strike dog"? Or is he opening after he has smelled a track for a minute or two? It seems to me that the first strike dog that opens as soon as he gets a slight whiff of a track would be more of an "honest strike dog". I don't understand why people who have a 4th strike dog always call them an "honest strike dog" when they know that they have actually been trailing for a while before they open.
A dog that opens when no track is there is "dishonest" but isn't a dog that doesn't open when a track is there "dishonest" also?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-09-2018 03:25 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaze2014
Banned

This should be interesting, because any answer is pure speculation.

Old Post 10-09-2018 03:43 PM
Blaze2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze2014 Click here to Send Blaze2014 a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze2014 Add Blaze2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Some dogs are just smarter than others.
They'll open when they got it figured/lined out.
That in it self doesn't make them dishonest.
IMO makes them intelligent.
As opposed to the dog that opens as soon as it detects scent but babbles trying to figure out which way it should go. (Airheads).jmo

Old Post 10-09-2018 03:53 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Determining when a dog starts to smell a track in relation to when it opens its mouth is impossible and as such is speculation. Determining when there is no track present to smell is (should be) much easier.

Old Post 10-09-2018 03:58 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Also, why do so many people complain about babblers but no one complains about silent track dogs. A whole lot of handlers want to even change the rules to benefit the silent track dog. A lot of handlers say that they can't stand a babbler but they like a silent track dog. I don't understand that. They even made a rule to minus babblers and most judges use it. But I have never in my 30 yrs of comp hunting seen a dog scratched for being silent on track. Why doesn't anyone propose a rule that says a dog has to open at least 10 times on track before they can be treed?

Old Post 10-09-2018 04:01 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

So if a dog doesn't open at least 10 times you consider him silent?

Old Post 10-09-2018 04:05 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

A whole lot of dishonest people are very intelligent. And with the advent of Garmins, everyone should know when their dog starts trailing whether they open or not. I can tell you when my dog is about to open.

Old Post 10-09-2018 04:06 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by BLAKE WHEELER
So if a dog doesn't open at least 10 times you consider him silent?

I consider him a lying track dog. It is a lie of "omission". He is a dishonest track dog.

Old Post 10-09-2018 04:11 PM
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

He may be lying on track but he's pretty honest on the tree lol

Old Post 10-09-2018 04:15 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
They even made a rule to minus babblers and most judges use it. But I have never in my 30 yrs of comp hunting seen a dog scratched for being silent on track.
Most judges use it?? I assume your joking or thats sarcasm.

Old Post 10-09-2018 04:21 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Doesn't have anything to do with when the dog strikes its just a term to describe a dog that isn't babbling. That's the only reason to use it. Honest vs "babbling" not honest. Truth be told just because he is last doesn't make him honest. Just slow.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 10-09-2018 04:38 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

quote:
A whole lot of dishonest people are very intelligent. And with the advent of Garmins, everyone should know when their dog starts trailing whether they open or not. I can tell you when my dog is about to open.

From most of your statements I can tell you when yours is about to open too!! When you are reaching for the snap to unleash!! Strike Ol red!!!

Old Post 10-09-2018 05:05 PM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Adams, Harold
From most of your statements I can tell you when yours is about to open too!! When you are reaching for the snap to unleash!! Strike Ol red!!!

Yep and I don't know why Sombody would want to try and convince me to like a babbling dog just because they do. Down here your not going to strike every coon right off the snap. But I bet I could take some of the dogs competing today to some spots where there has never ever been a coon and they would still get struck and maybe even treed up a big ole leafy tree !!!

Tar

Old Post 10-09-2018 05:38 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
Determining when a dog starts to smell a track in relation to when it opens its mouth is impossible and as such is speculation. Determining when there is no track present to smell is (should be) much easier.

Good answer!
Richard, why the concern over "honest strike dog" that is taking 25? The in for 100 type everytime just started with a 75 pt advantage on it every drop. The continuously silent dog there are rules in place for whether used often or not it's there. The need for some kind of a tree countdown has arose from a need to weed out the super slow or just flat out me-too barking dogs that can't or don't tree there own coon during hunt time.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-09-2018 05:42 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Is a dog that gets second or third tree a "me too" dog or one that is slower on track and gets beat to a tree. Or maybe they are just slower to tree because they like to check and make sure the coon is there. Why does everyone automatically assume that a second or third tree dog can't tree a coon by themselves? Everyone wants to "weed out" the slow second and third tree dogs. But they go out looking for those slow second or third tree dogs when they sneak off by themselves and don't open on track so that you don't know how slow they are. Is it because these are "cast winners"?

Old Post 10-09-2018 06:33 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Where you hunting with these silent dogs ? I ain't hunted with one in 25 yrs and sure ain't hunted with one in the last 10 yrs I would like to draw a whole cast of silent dogs myself. All that barking makes me want to drink cheap whiskey! And I don't drink !!

Tarbaby

Old Post 10-09-2018 06:44 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Adams, Harold
From most of your statements I can tell you when yours is about to open too.

Mr Adams, I have honest strike dogs. They open as soon as they smell a track, not before and not later on when they get it "lined out". And Tarbaby, I don't like babbling dogs and I don't like silent dogs. I like honest first strike dogs. But it wouldn't bother me if you liked babbling or silent dogs. I just don't think that people should call late strike dogs "honest". They are inferring that first strike dogs are lying.

Old Post 10-09-2018 06:45 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Richard me and you have hunted in enough $$$ hunts to know that that striking under the minute with the majority of the cast barking off the snap is dishonest and used for an advantage unless you have a non hunting judge you are S.O.L. !! I like an open trailing dog with enough track speed to dominate slower dogs myself.

Tar

Old Post 10-09-2018 06:59 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Is a dog that gets second or third tree a "me too" dog or one that is slower on track and gets beat to a tree. Or maybe they are just slower to tree because they like to check and make sure the coon is there. Why does everyone automatically assume that a second or third tree dog can't tree a coon by themselves? Everyone wants to "weed out" the slow second and third tree dogs. But they go out looking for those slow second or third tree dogs when they sneak off by themselves and don't open on track so that you don't know how slow they are. Is it because these are "cast winners"?

They are either me-too dogs or dogs that are missing a gear if it takes them 2-5 minutes longer than others to get treed on the same track and tree. Definitely not that much slower because they are checking the tree to make sure the coon is there. Maybe they can tree a coon by themselves maybe not if they are never first only the owner knows for sure.
Slow track dogs that don't open and just split tree rarely win casts. And this house has never recieved a call looking for such a dog. People call daily looking for about everything under the sun of all colors and kinds.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-09-2018 07:12 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RJ Burks
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
Some dogs are just smarter than others.
They'll open when they got it figured/lined out.
That in it self doesn't make them dishonest.
IMO makes them intelligent.
As opposed to the dog that opens as soon as it detects scent but babbles trying to figure out which way it should go. (Airheads).jmo

X2

Old Post 10-09-2018 07:16 PM
RJ Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RJ Burks Click here to Send RJ Burks a Private Message Find more posts by RJ Burks Add RJ Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Where you hunting with these silent dogs ? I ain't hunted with one in 25 yrs and sure ain't hunted with one in the last 10 yrs I would like to draw a whole cast of silent dogs myself. All that barking makes me want to drink cheap whiskey! And I don't drink !!

Tarbaby

LOL !!!!! You are surely kiddin....? about the silent dogs....

Old Post 10-09-2018 07:30 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Mr Adams, I have honest strike dogs. They open as soon as they smell a track, not before and not later on when they get it "lined out".

OK if you say so......

Old Post 10-09-2018 07:53 PM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Two weeks ago I was in a two dog cast. The other dog(an 8-year-old nite champion) struck off the leash. After about 5 minutes of him "trailing" alone, the handler asked me if my dog was silent. I told him no. Then he said she must not have a very good nose. About 3 minutes later his dog sounded different. My first thought was that he just struck a track. Twenty seconds later mine opened, they ran about 200 yds and treed. Do you think anybody could convince this man that his dog wasn't an honest strike dog? Most people that hunt babblers don't think they are babbling.

Old Post 10-09-2018 08:27 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

A lot of people don't know what their dog is doing at any time. But I think that "most" people know when their dog is babbling. But that doesn't mean that they will admit it during a hunt. It is just like when they tree their dog and he shuts up and moves 10 yrds deeper and starts treeing again. Now can they not tell he moved or will they just not admit that he moved?
How about when you unsnap the dogs and one leaves barking and never shuts up. Now for the first minute his handler knows that he is babbling and doesn't strike him. But as soon as the minute is up he strikes him and swears that he isn't babbling.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 10-09-2018 at 08:43 PM

Old Post 10-09-2018 08:37 PM
yadkintar
Banned

True story: we had a notorious babbler down here nobody liked to draw him the guy absolutely would not take minuse your dog barked up instantly he was covered one night I was the judge dog left babbling soon as the second the minute was up he was going to strike him and I knew it minutes up and on cue dog humps up taking a dookie still barking I made him strike him and I minused him he got mad and withdrew never hunted him again because he knew we told everybody lol.

Tar

Old Post 10-09-2018 09:53 PM