UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > ? For doc hallada
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
lucas foster
UKC Forum Member

? For doc hallada

Friend of mine has had a male of mine for about a year. The first 6 months no problems. About July he noticed a green goopy discharge come from both eyes n they were matting shut. Took him to a vet n they said probably an infection n gave him drops. 3 months later n not getting better. It looks to me like allergies but I don’t know much. Dogs not in any discomfort n doesn’t seem to bother him much. Same feed same straw same kennel same everything since day one. Anyone have any suggestions? Been to 2 vets n neither one was much help. Thanks

pr’ Hooper ridge hangem high huck
ntch. pr’ Kettle hollow Sandy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-16-2018 04:06 AM
lucas foster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lucas foster Click here to Send lucas foster a Private Message Click Here to Email lucas foster Find more posts by lucas foster Add lucas foster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

I'm not Doc

I'm not Doc, but wondering. Is the dog been getting hunted? Or out of the pen? Otherwise he is having a reaction to something in his environment. Feed, bedding, dust etc...
Allergies to all these can develop later in life. So it could be that he is now allergic to things he didn't use to be, straw etc...
My old female never had a wheat (straw) allergy until about 9 years old. Now, straw makes her hair fall out.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 10-16-2018 06:31 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Whitty
UKC Forum Member

I would get rid of the straw for awhile and see if that helps.

Old Post 10-16-2018 12:07 PM
Whitty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Whitty Click here to Send Whitty a Private Message Click Here to Email Whitty Find more posts by Whitty Add Whitty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

i have one that is over 15 now when i got him at 18 months every morning eyes matted shut (green) i put him on amoxicillin 500mg 2x day for 30 days problem solved

Old Post 10-16-2018 12:46 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Not doc either but will give it a shot. Eyes are can tell alot about a dogs overall health. My first question would be is the mucous gray or green/yellow. Gray can be a sign of a tear duct or dry eye problem. Green or yellow most likely some sort of an infection.
If he were mine this is what I would do... get the water hose (You can use eye wash but I've found a continuous low pressure stream works best) and rinse each eye very thoroughly for couple minutes at a very low pressure if there is something lodged in between the eye lids it should come out. Q-Tips dipped in Vaseline are also great at removing any foreign object. After rinsing well if the goop is of the green/yellow variety put a drop of penicillin directly into each eye. And antibiotic for about 10 days sure wouldn't hurt. Amoxicillin or even a shot of pen every 3 days. For gray goop you can get over the counter lubricating drops and or prescription allergy eye drops from your vet cheap and as mentioned clean out any old bedding and dust.
Now here's the other kicker the eyes being the window to the body yes your problem could be environmental as some have mentioned but also could be an underlying health problem and even a sign the dog is just wormy. There is the extreme rarity it could be eye worms (I've never seen these) but a dog having intestinal worms can cause the problem of goopy eyes. So your next step is a thorough worming. I recommend using Dronal plus for this and repeat in 21 days also ivomectin .5 - 1 ml depending on how large your dog is. If none of this works your dog needs an examination at the vet and some blood work done to check for other underlying problems.
Good luck,
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-16-2018 04:44 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lucas foster
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the responses. Mucus is green/ yellow. He took him to the vet n has clean bill of health. Heart worm free n all that. Was on the eye drops from vet for two months n cleaned eyes twice a day. My friend takes very good care of dogs so neglect isn’t a factor. My thoughts were allergies to either straw or food. I feed sport mix n he feeds Purina dog chow. Just was weird to me that no problem for first 6 months now won’t go away. I guess I’ll start with food n straw n then go from there. Thanks so much!

Old Post 10-16-2018 05:32 PM
lucas foster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lucas foster Click here to Send lucas foster a Private Message Click Here to Email lucas foster Find more posts by lucas foster Add lucas foster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

Re: ? For doc hallada

quote:
Originally posted by lucas foster
Friend of mine has had a male of mine for about a year. The first 6 months no problems. About July he noticed a green goopy discharge come from both eyes n they were matting shut. Took him to a vet n they said probably an infection n gave him drops. 3 months later n not getting better. It looks to me like allergies but I don’t know much. Dogs not in any discomfort n doesn’t seem to bother him much. Same feed same straw same kennel same everything since day one. Anyone have any suggestions? Been to 2 vets n neither one was much help. Thanks

GET A NEW VET

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 10-16-2018 07:03 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lucas foster
UKC Forum Member

Kinda what I thought. He said his vet retired n this was his first time at this facility n he was not to impressed. If I can’t get it figured out here soon I’m bringing him down to my vet who’s old school n likes to c my hounds come in n is usually pretty sharp. We’ll c what happens

Old Post 10-16-2018 10:00 PM
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

Here is another possibility. If the dog has a wrinkly face it could have hairs rubbing and irritating the eye causing the problem. I had one with this problem. I would think a vet would catch this pretty easy. Requires surgery to fix.

Old Post 10-16-2018 11:37 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lucas foster
UKC Forum Member

He’s 7 and I’ve never had any issues like this with him b4 is why I’m stumped . The green mucus gets pretty heavy if u don’t clean them couple times a day

Old Post 10-16-2018 11:53 PM