UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Bogue Chitto Blues
Pages (87): « First ... « 83 84 [85] 86 87 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Cool Nights

Weather has finally got nice the past five days and been cool dry and low humidity. Roxy and Josey looking pretty good. Enjoying being out at night in this weather listening to them do their job. Sad to see that Minney in the final cast of the UKC world championship got scratched by such a chicken shat rule. Apparently cut her loose after pulling her off a tree and hadn’t waited for the judge to tell him it was ok. Judge said no no no and he jumped on her and caught her right back up. No harm no foul but one of the others questioned it and the panel scratched him. One of those times if you don’t have a good enough hound to beat them, just sharpen the pencil and beat them with the rules. Sad. The rule should never be a scratchable offense to begin with. If that happens maybe don’t give them the strike points on the next track they hit but I don’t see how it’s such a serious offense that they should be scratched from the world championship and they up by 300 points over second place. Rules are Rules but the judge didn’t scratch the man, one of the ones getting beat like a drum made sure of it. When no dog was affected in any way whatsoever and the scores didn’t benefit because of what happened and the man caught the dog right quick, should have been warned and went on hunting. If that’s how you have to win then I’m sure Karma has plans for you. Rule or not, low down chicken shat in my opinion. Just a simple honest mistake by the handler and Poof, all the work done by the hound and him preparing for and advancing in the finals all gone in the blink of an eye.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-27-2021 01:34 AM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Beverly got some bad news yesterday and like most bad news, like it or not you still have to deal with it. Been having to much protein in her and she went to a urologist. They did a CT Scan and she has a solid mass on her kidney. Cancer. It’s incapulated and the doctor told us that means it’s contained to just the kidney. Didn’t see any outside of it. So she has to have the kidney removed. Since first of the year and the ice storm that knocked down power lines and busted all our pipes under the house and some in it, river has flooded and ran us out of here at least 8 times this spring and summer then Hurricane Ida came through, it’s been a challenge just to keep marching forward. We have been hit with a lot but this makes the all the other seem minor. The doctor told us it’s a 85 percent curable. Sounds good but COVID is 99 percent and look how nuts this country has went over it. She’s a trooper and has supported me snd these dogs a good many years. Please pray for her. All we can do is pray, it’s in Gods hands. Also I saw on Facebook that Steve Burkholder is in ICU in bad shape with Covid and his wife also has it. Please pray for them. You don’t realize how little a lot of things matter to you until your hit with a health crisis and just want to get well and live a little longer. This country is getting in bad shape with all that’s going on but I don’t even care anymore. I just want Beverly to make it through this surgery and the cancer never show up again.

Old Post 09-29-2021 12:10 PM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Steve

Sure sorry to hear this about Mrs. Beverly. I know that Mrs. Beverly is a godly woman and is a fighter, and I've no doubt that the lord will pull her through this in good shape.
Praying for both of you. Also praying for Steve Burkholder and his wife.

Last edited by Misty river on 09-29-2021 at 03:35 PM

Old Post 09-29-2021 03:33 PM
Misty river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Misty river Click here to Send Misty river a Private Message Click Here to Email Misty river Find more posts by Misty river Add Misty river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Mauney
UKC Forum Member

Prayers

Prayers up for you folks Steve. Especially Mrs. Beverly. The lord is with her and will carry her through this sickness. Continuing to pray for the Burkholders.

Last edited by Ed Mauney on 09-29-2021 at 04:40 PM

Old Post 09-29-2021 04:37 PM
Ed Mauney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Mauney Click here to Send Ed Mauney a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Mauney Find more posts by Ed Mauney Add Ed Mauney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Beverly Update

Thanks Mr Jack and Mr Ed. She went this morning for a chest X Ray and will do one more test in the morning and the doctor will let us know after that if the surgery will be end of this week or not. Trying to confirm that her other kidney is working great or not. The horrible part of all this is she got a CPap Machine from the VA 6 years ago for her sleep acne. She did a sleep study test back than and she stops breathing in her sleep bad and her oxygen drops to a 88. It’s a Phillips machine. Couple months ago I saw they recalled millions because they causing Cancer. She got her recall notice 3 weeks ago and her serial number is one of the recalled ones. A foam piece inside of it that stops vibrations and cuts down the noise has chemicals in it that she has been breathing snd it causes Kidney Cancer and Kidney failure. She asked the doctor Friday when we were there if her smoking could have caused the cancer and her doctor said No. Smoking causes bladder cancer snd her bladder is clean as a whistle she said. Her protein in her urine started to be elevated one year after using this machine and the VA never called her to follow up on it. Not even any lab report on the blood and urine she did at her annual checkup every year. She had went online to get her report, printed it out snd showed it to the doctor that’s her primary doctor she use to work for. He told her it was cancer until proven otherwise. VA is pathetic and killing off our veterans and no one holds them accountable. She called and told them all this and the girl looked up her most recent file and same ole story, nothing documented about her lab results, like they ain’t even going over them. And can’t get a replacement machine for possibly a year or longer because they telling her there is a nationwide shortage, like everything else we starting to have trouble finding in stores. Lawyers have already began to call and you better believe there’s fixing to be some accountability. The government and all its agencies is a complete out of control failure and we little people need to hold them accountable. Only problem is finding a lawyer that isn’t as corrupt and crooked as they are. All leeches and parasites on society. Will update when we know date of surgery. Please continue to pray for her. Thank You.

Last edited by steve bankston on 10-04-2021 at 06:35 PM

Old Post 10-04-2021 06:30 PM
Ed Mauney
UKC Forum Member

Prayers

Continuing to pray for Mrs. Beverly.

Old Post 10-06-2021 03:43 PM
Ed Mauney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Mauney Click here to Send Ed Mauney a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Mauney Find more posts by Ed Mauney Add Ed Mauney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Beverly Update

Beverly had her kidney function checked and the kidney they taking out works better than the one they leaving in. Said she would be on dialysis in 3 to 5 years. No choice but to take the one with cancer out and pray for the other one to hold up lot longer than they think. It’s just an awful situation she’s in. Surgery is set for November 18th. Thanks for prayers, that’s all we can do. I’ve been hunting some and both hounds look good but haven’t been near as much as I wish I could. Got fluid on my right knee the past few weeks and it swole up huge and had me about crippled. Got injection in it yesterday so hoping that helps in a couple days. If not the doctor said I need an MRI. Been liming the fields and breaking ground preparing to plant rye grass for the Trump Herd. I have the food plots planted and we got rain today so they should come up soon. Deer hitting the feeders hard even though lots of acorns in the woods. Hoping to go on road trip for a week Coon hunting before her surgery but just depends on how she’s feeling and how my knee is doing.

Old Post 10-21-2021 02:26 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Steve

Take care and good hunting, Prayers for you and Mrs. Beverly.

Old Post 10-21-2021 03:43 AM
Misty river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Misty river Click here to Send Misty river a Private Message Click Here to Email Misty river Find more posts by Misty river Add Misty river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepyblues
UKC Forum Member

Praying

Praying for Ms Bankston and your self . Hopefully the stress don’t overcome and y’all keep pushing yourself through.I haven’t been on this page in awhile soy she has to go through so much health issues. Keep fighting!!!!

Old Post 10-29-2021 05:58 PM
sleepyblues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepyblues Click here to Send sleepyblues a Private Message Click Here to Email sleepyblues Find more posts by sleepyblues Add sleepyblues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Josey Wales

Thanks Sleepy. She had her Pre Op the other day so she’s all good fir the surgery to remove the kidney on the 18th.
I been hunting some. My X Rays show I have an Arthritic Cyst on back of my knee. They are caused by injury, gout or arthritis and I’m lucky enough to have all 3. I have been referred to a Orthopedic and have to have an MRI next week. Knee cap pops every move I make, and painful but I keep hobbling along behind these hounds best I can. Josey is really coming along and making a fine hound. Huge mouth that I love, stay put hard tree dog, wrong or right I’ve never had him leave a tree. Split trees about half the time and hold all the pressure in the world. He was deep in Black Branch Swamp the other night and worked a track up and got him running. Coon couldn’t make it to the river before he had to climb. Josey ran him like most run a hog or deer. He can fly on a good or hot track and never wollers around on a bad track wasting time. He’s action packed and I love hunting him. Only thing he does that’s a little aggravating is when you knock the coon down he will not let it go. Wants to bring it home with him. I will work him a little with the collar soon so he knows when I say Dead, it’s time to let it go. Just didn’t want to work him to soon in life but he’s had enough coon down to him now, he will get the messsge without any negative coming from it. Slick trees are getting less and less as he puts it all together. I hate to hurt all you Blue guys feelings but Josey pleases me in all departments more than the blue dogs have. Mainly because of his mouth, how he uses it, the quickness of getting treed and never worrying with a track that’s to old that he will never tree or end up on a den. He just don’t do that like the blue dogs do. You ain’t gonna have time to build a fire and drink coffee when you hunt Josey. If I could pound him like I did Bo the first two years of his life, my God, what a hound I could make. Unless I cross Roxy on Bo, Josey Wales, my first Treeing Walker, will probably be my last hound. I figure in 8 more years or so, I will be done. As much as I love puppies and fooling with them, I haven’t give in to the temptation of getting another one because Josey suits me that much. Unless his wheels fall off, I’ve finally reached the point of being totally satisfied in one hound. And color don’t matter. Being true blue I knew I never was. Any man that can’t compliment another man on his hound doing a great job ain’t much of a man at all. Regardless of what breed of hound it is. Jealousy and Greed eats men up. Always has and always will.

Last edited by steve bankston on 11-05-2021 at 03:38 PM

Old Post 11-05-2021 03:33 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Surgery and another Surgery

Beverly had her surgery very early Thursday morning to remove one of her kidneys. Didn’t go as well as they hoped and instead of a five inch cut in her belly to take the kidney out through, they opened her way up to stop a bad bleed that developed. She was in horrific pain that evening, worse than I’ve ever saw anyone in. Had to stay in ICU until this evening and finally they let her get a regular room. Will try to get her up and take her first steps tomorrow and take out the drain line. Liquid diet only just started today. She quit breathing on them Thursday night but they brought her back. Dialed the pain med drip down a little so it wouldn’t happen again. Blood pressure dropped last night to 80 over 50 but it’s better today. We had got up at 2am surgery morning and it’s been rough on her ever since. I went to the Orthopedic Tuesday evening and he drained 65 CC’s off my knee. It’s only supposed to have 5 cc on your knee. My whole leg is huge, top to bottom. Torn Meniscus, Arthritic Disease and severe leg and knee strain with Arthritic Cyst on back of knee. Got to have surgery on it December 8th. Some fraying in there to. He’s gonna go in and clean it all up. I’m about useless as I am. Every step knee pops under bottom of the cap or on right and back side and hurts like the bone is coming out. Hoping to have Beverly home by Thanksgiving and on her feet good by the time my surgery comes up. I had hunted Josey two nights last week but the second night I could barley walk. Been icing my knee best I can but can’t stay off of it cause I’m taking care of her and going home tending to the dogs and the farm. I figure what the heck, whatever more I’m tearing up in the knee by not staying off of it he will just fix when he goes in. Real good doctor and he asked me what I had been putting on it snd I told him prescription cream and horse liniment. He asked which one worked better and I told him the horse liniment. He smiled and nodded his head and then I told him Ivermectin worked good to because I haven’t had COVID yet. That got a big smile and chuckle out of him. He knows it’s the truth but they can’t say it or they will come after them. Sad times we living in, people are dying and basically being killed if it don’t fit the agenda of the evil scheme of things. Praying Beverly gets out of here before she gets COVID or the flu or pneumonia. Prayers were truly appreciated Mr Ed, Sleepy and Mr Jack. God is listening and watching all the time.

Old Post 11-21-2021 12:11 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Update

Beverly is home and very slowly recovering. Got her outside yesterday for a few minutes with a Walker on wheels. Still very weak and in pain. The great news is the mass was totally contained, no sign of it anywhere else and it’s the least aggressive cancer there is. Great odds that she will never have it again. I have pre op tomorrow and surgery next Wednesday on my knee. I was hunting Josey last night and wearing my knee brace hobbling along. Tripped over a heart pine stump in tall grass and fell hard. The knee smashed into a heart pine root that came off the stump in the direction I fell. Thought about spending the night right there it hurt so bad but after 20 minutes of laying on the cold ground I wollered around and got my feet back under me. Josey looks pretty fair for the little I’m getting to hunt. Getting even louder ad he gets older. Roxy has looked good also the few times I’ve had her out. Hopefully after I recover from the knee surgery I will be back at full throttle in the swamps behind the hounds. Wanting to take a couple trips if we could both get healed up enough to go.

Old Post 12-02-2021 12:51 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Death of the Legend: Rocket Raccoon

[url=https://ralphrobertspersonaltrainer.com/how-long-should-you-rest-between-circuits]. Death Of A Legend: The last race of Rocket the Raccoon from Black Branch Swamp was tonight. I have ran this Swamp Warrior since Bo was a 2 year old and he’s 8 now. So, 6 good years of some of the longest, hardest races you will ever hear an old coon give a hound, I’ve heard them all. I’ve seen him jump out of at least a half dozen trees that my hounds put him up. As I shined the tree or blew the squaller he would bail out and like a ghost, vanish into the night. Most folks would think their hound was running trash if they got after Rocket, and I have myself a time or two but the more I learned his habits and the way he ran, I always looked forward to Bo or one of the others striking him and putting him on the run. Takes a real good hound in these thick swamps to tree him and I’ve had young dogs lose the trail after he would take to the Beaver Pond or cross the cow pastures and county road a time or two. All these years I didn’t shoot Rocket. He became my Legend and I always look forward to the battle in the swamps between him and my hounds. Sometimes he would run for an hour or little more then head across the swamp to the big hollow beech tree den that he called home behind the old abandoned White House on Ginn Road in some of the meanest nastiest swamp Black Branch has to offer. Tonight he met his match when River Outlaw Josey Wales struck his trail. Deep in the swamp down the creek that runs through Cypress Bottom, Josey Wales let out his roaring bawl as he took to the trail of Rocket. It was a good track and he soon had him running. Rocket ran his usual route, straight toward the big Beaver Pond between my neighbors pastures and the Bogue Chitto River. Josey slowed up for just a few minutes as he hit the pond but soon came out the other side shifting gears and rolling across the pasture headed East. I took out in the Rhino to get around to the old house and head Rocket off. Didn’t want him to get across the little county road and make it to his home in the hollow beech tree. I got around there and shut off the engine and Josey was less than a hundred yards from the road but making a swing and did a u turn and headed back West, toward the river. Rocket ran an old fence line between two fields, giving himself options. Running the field he was going fast but so was Josey. Traveling the old fence row he had some huge oaks here and there that if Josey got to close, he could climb before he got caught. Josey must have been about to catch him because he took to the Beaver Pond again. Josey is a quick learner and he picked up his trail on the other side faster this time and the race continued North West, up the river. I sat in the Rhino listening to that big lanky Treeing Walker pour it on Rockets ass as they got further and further from me. They were right at three quarters of a mile and getting close to my house when Rocket made his swing back East then southeast as he headed back down Cypress Bottom. Past the Artesian Flow Well from an old home site many many years ago, right on down the creek and back into the Beaver Pond. Josey had closed the gap and was running to catch. Had shortened his bawls and wasn’t giving many. When he hit the pond he never quit giving mouth so I knew he was closing in on Rocket. They came out of the pond and turned more to the West and I knew Rocket was trying to make it to the River. If he could do that he would jump in and let the swift current take him way down stream where he could climb out and safely make his getaway. They were over a Thousand yards from me. Up to this moment, Josey had been running Rocket for about 55 minutes or a little more. He had covered just over 5 miles according to the Garmin at an average speed of 4.96mph. Looking at the Garmin screen as they approached the River and Josey was screaming he was so close on Rockets tail, then Silence. Still staring at the screen and I was wondering if Rocket had made the River and jumped in. About that time the greatest sound a coon Hunter longs to hear, the huge dying locate letting his master know the Coon has climbed and to come see. Josey threw 4 of the biggest, loudest, longest most wonderful locates I’ve ever heard on any hound in my life. I just love this hounds mouth and tonight, after a race like that for over an hour and me knowing it was Rocket, was the most amazing set up to coming treed I’ve ever heard. Super Special knowing it was Rocket, the heavy fog in the air low across the fields an coming from this fine young hound that is my first Walker Coonhound. Very special moment to me that I will never forget. I took off across the fields toward the river and my hound. Hobbling along with my knee brace on, thinking about the knee surgery I was supposed to be having Wednesday. It took me quite a while to get there with my leg the way it is but Josey never missed a beat. Steady as a clock he rocked them off at the base of the tree that held the Legend, Rocket the Raccoon. I stopped and took this video when I was half way to him, little less than 700 yards. Sounded awesome echoing up out of that river bottom across the foggy field. I finally made it to him and I could hear the rushing river less than a hundred feet away. Rocket Almost made it but Josey was to fast and Rocket had to climb. He wasn’t real high and was looking at me and nervous. I knew with it being Rocket there was a good chance he might jump. I got my laser turned on and when I put it on him, he took out higher in the tree. I popped a few rounds at him and he ran out on a limb. Shot a few more as he came running back toward the trunk of the tree then out on another limb. Finally connected and down he came. Huge Boar Coon with a grey/white old face of a warrior. It was a bitter sweet moment for me. As I said, Bo had treed him several times and I’ve chosen to let him live to run another day. Sometimes he would jump, other times just be nervous and moving around like tonight. I would snap Bo up and go home. Tonight was different. I’ve had a tough year, my health and physical abilities really went downhill this year and now my legs, hips, knees, etc. are wearing out and slowing me way down. Hopefully with a couple surgeries I still got a lot of miles and many a night of coon hunting left in me, but we never know for sure. Rockets got some age on him and getting past his prime. Josey Wales isn’t near about to his prime yet but is a super nice young hound and tonight he was just a Beast when he struck Rockets trail and didn’t get shook off, no matter how hard Rocket tried. It’s coons and tracks like tonight that young dogs deserve if they tree him and coons like Rocket will help shape and make a Legend out of a hound. Tonight, December 4th, 2021, Rocket the Raccoon of Black Branch Swamp, ran his last race and lost. Tonight, one Legend died but another one was Born. River Outlaw Josey Wales.

Last edited by steve bankston on 01-21-2022 at 05:31 PM

Old Post 12-05-2021 01:57 PM
sleepyblues
UKC Forum Member

Rocket

Down goes Rocket 🚀

Old Post 12-06-2021 10:18 PM
sleepyblues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepyblues Click here to Send sleepyblues a Private Message Click Here to Email sleepyblues Find more posts by sleepyblues Add sleepyblues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Mr Bojangles X Roxy

Roxy started coming in heat today and I’ve been waiting on her so I can breed her to my BO. Would love to breed her to Bocephus which would be a grand sire X grand daughter cross but it’s not worth the hassle. My Bo can hold his on with any when he’s firing on all cylinders. This will be an Uncle/Niece Cross. She should breed around December 18-20th and have pups around February 20th. I owe it to Bo to make this cross and raise up a son to follow in his foot steps. Hope it all goes as planned and she has a small litter and raises them all. I had my pre op for knee surgery last week and they won’t do surgery on me until I’m cleared by a Cardiologist. Because of my heart troubles a couple years ago. Got appointment for that on Monday snd hopefully will get cleared and knee surgery will be the 22nd. Beverly continues to slowly improve. I found one way to get her up and moving. I started rearranging stuff in kitchen cabinets and throwing out all the expired canned goods and any pots pans or Tupperware that we had more than two of same kind. She’s a hoarder and I have OCD, amazing we made it this far. When I went to bagging up stuff in the garbage, that got her butt off the couch quick. She will be back in charge in no time so I can sit on the couch. As you saw in the post above, Josey Wales treed Rocket the Raccoon and I decided to knock him down. 7 years almost to the day of when Bo treed him his first time. I decided if Rocket was like me, he would rather die a warriors death than let cruel Mother Nature have her way. He was old, the adventures were many and the time was right. I’ve had over 400 reactions and a hundred comments on let’s talk old Blueticks from that post and the pictures. Many many folks encouraging me to write a book because they loved the story and my style of story telling. It was very humbling and very inspiring and I’ve taken the first steps to put a great book together. Not just another book but one like where the red fern grows. I don’t want people to just read my book, I want them to feel it and live it. I want young folks to be inspired to have a hound like Bo or Josey Wales and be able to cross paths with a warrior coon like Rocket. I want them to put the phones down and quit living in a virtual world that doesn’t exist and get back to living in the real world. My goal with my book is not about me, it’s about inspiring a generation that needs to be inspired to get back to living and get back to enjoying the outdoors. Hopefully with a hound pup that they dream of making into a Legend one day. Leaving a positive, lasting impression and memories that actually make a difference in people’s lives. If I can do that with a book or possibly a series of books, then I have succeeded and I will die a content man feeling I have fulfilled my purpose on earth. When I was a teenager I was called by the Lord at a Christian seminar in Memphis. I came home still crying and moved because the message and the call of the Lord had such an affect on me. I told my critical mother about it and that I wanted to be a preacher. She said I definitely had the Gift of the Gab but would be better suited to be an Auctioneer. That threw cold water on my heart and soul and because of the lack of support and encouragement, the devil had a good time with me for a good many years. Over a decade ago I took back control and been trying to find my purpose in life because I truly felt the Lord called me to do big things many years ago. I have been encouraged by many many people, most that I don’t even know, to write a book. I have finally took it to heart and now I feel at peace where I had been soul searching for so long. I feel what I’m about to do is pleasing to the Lord and what He’s had planned for me all along.

Old Post 12-09-2021 09:27 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Bo

I decided not to breed Roxy to Bo this time around. Disappointed the folks that wanted pups but I enjoy hunting her and Josey and I’m just not ready to fool with a pup when I don’t get out enough with the ones I’ve got. Maybe next Fall. Bo had to have his little toe on his right paw amputated. He tore the nail plum off snd even though we ran a month of antibiotics through him the infection had already got in the bone. They took his stitches out today. Haven’t hunted in over 3 weeks because of my knees. They both have torn meniscus snd need surgery but I postponed it until this spring. Mason and Cayden would have missed out on deer hunting during their Christmas break if I had went on with surgery and I didn’t want them to. Me and Mason were hunting on the evening of the 22nd, the day I was supposed to have surgery, and he killed a good buck. Dropped him in his tracks with my Colt AR-15. Getting it mounted for him. Great moment for him getting his first buck and for me to help make it happen for him. Nothing like those kind of memories with kids. I de boned it all for him and we dropped the meat off at the slaughter house the next day. They just picked it back up and had 80 pounds of stuffed smoked sausage. He loves the back strap best of all. Cayden came last week but the weather sucked. Heat index of 80 to 88 every day. Cold blast came in Sunday and we saw a bunch of Doe’s and yearlings but no bucks. They had a blast here on the river New Years Eve around the bonfire and shooting their fireworks. December was the warmest on record since they have been kept since 1896. Suits me fine, rather the warm winters than pipe busting cold.

Old Post 01-05-2022 12:19 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

River Outlaw Josey Wales

Old Post 01-21-2022 04:32 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Josey Wales

Old Post 01-21-2022 04:37 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Josey Wales

Old Post 01-21-2022 04:51 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

ROXY

Mason and Cayden petting on Roxy last year for a job well done treeing a big boar Coon at the farm on the edge of Black Branch Swamp. Headed to the Delta soon with her, Josey and the boys for a few days of treeing coon in great woods.

Old Post 01-21-2022 04:55 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Masons First Buck

Mason took his first deer with me at my farm last year, a Doe with my AR-15. This year, in the same shooting house I built at the farm, he took this fine Buck for his first buck with my Colt AR again. 120 yard shot, dropped him in his tracks. Nothing like getting kids involved in the outdoors and helping them succeed. When they are successful it’s as satisfying as when a young pup puts it all together snd trees his first coon. Memories like this keeps me going.

Old Post 01-21-2022 05:36 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Delta Hunting

We enjoyed our trip to the Delta last week for some coon hunting in better woods and better population of coons than I have at home. Me, Cayden and Mason did a lot of walking to trees that Josey and Roxy made. Knocked down several coon for them. Saw some big bucks that made it through the season. We hunted a 12,000 acre place and had it to ourselves. Josey treed here Friday night on a huge cypress with big coon laid up on the first big limb above his head.

Old Post 02-03-2022 04:37 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Busy as a Bee

Been a while since I posted. Life is good here on the river and farm, stay busy every day. Brangus Cows been dropping calves the past few months, been feeding a couple of pigs that were wild but have tamed down good and come around every day to be fed. Got a big chicken coop and got it setup for a lot of chickens. All my hay pastures limes and fertilized. Bought a new electric pressure canner and Beverly has been busy canning. Getting some meat rabbits for the farm to. I feel this country is headed down the drain and worse times are coming so we getting prepared to live like kings on the farm and river while the rest of the world is in panic and chaos. Been catching some monster flathead catfish. Caught 3 a few weeks ago, biggest was 33 pounds. Coon hunting some, not as much as In the past. Hot weather it’s just not worth it to me to push them. Rather swim them in the evenings to let them cool off and enjoy some exercise. Got a seven month old treeing Walker pup here I will be starting soon for someone. Huge mouth on him and I will be half owner once I get him treeing his on easy Coon then they will get him back this Fall to push and see if he has what it takes to compete. Me and my son Shane fired up my sawmill last week for the first time in years. High as lumber is there is a lot of money to be made cutting logs for folks. My sawmill is a WoodMizer fully hydraulic. Cost just under 20,000 new in 1992. Sawmills have become extremely valuable like used trucks and I saw one exactly like mine sell for 28,000 the other day. The new ones have a year and a half wait to get so the used ones are in high demand. I’m going to hang on to mine and pass it down to my son and his two boys, Lincoln and Levi. Selling some Sinker Cypress this weekend and using the money to get hay equipment. I hate having to be on someone else’s schedule when my hay is ready to cut and the weather is good and they can’t get to you for weeks or longer. Get my on equipment and cut 3 or 4 times a year and sell half of it to get my money back on equipment cost and the savings of not having to pay someone 22 bucks a roll to cut and bale it. Ole Bo is doing great, going to be 9 years old this month. Hard to believe all these years have flew by since I started this thread when he was just a pup ready to start. Roxy will be 3 on the same birthday. Breeding her to Bo next time she comes in. I think I have enough life left in me for one more black headed male pup. That should wind up my coon hunting days if I get him trained up and he lives a good long life.

Old Post 06-02-2022 09:59 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

To Hot To Hunt

host gifs

To hot to hunt but perfect for catching monster flatheads. Fifth one this spring snd also the biggest, 60 pounds. Life is great here on the river and farm.

Old Post 06-21-2022 11:33 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Steve, you're still living like you're in the 1950's. A real country boy. Those flatheads are by far the tastiest catfish. I never ate any that big. Are they still good at that size?

Old Post 06-23-2022 03:45 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote