UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thyroid problems running wild.
Pages (7): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
Medical need not performance need. Normal range is normal range. Above an optimal level??? Then that is more than normal and is excess and is not needed.

Isn't medical need what a dog requires to perform at an optimal level? Normal level? Is a coonhound's normal level the same as a poodle's? How is a "normal" level determined? Vets and labs don't even seem to agree on a "normal" level. They give you an awfully wide range. Above what level are you causing a hound any long term damage? Ask a vet at what level are you harming your hound.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 04-21-2019 at 10:44 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-21-2019 10:41 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Anybody that has to give a 9 yr old redbone sissy pills so he can keep up and take sissy pills his self so he can keep up I figure it as cheating and as a breeder you are damaging your breed if you breed them !! I am done with this discussion !! let you concience be your guide.

Tar

Old Post 04-21-2019 10:53 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Isn't medical need what a dog requires to perform at an optimal level? Normal level? Is a coonhound's normal level the same as a poodle's? How is a "normal" level determined? Vets and labs don't even seem to agree on a "normal" level. They give you an awfully wide range. Above what level are you causing a hound any long term damage? Ask a vet at what level are you harming your hound.

That's the reason we have a normal range. Below normal causes harm, above normal causes harm. It's really not that hard a concept to grasp.

Old Post 04-21-2019 10:56 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Thyroid problems running wild.

quote:
Originally posted by chaz2012
Nope because people like you keep breeding those known thyroid dogs , believe what you want but facts are facts.
facts are facts .if a dog test positive for tgaa it is known to be genetic . go to the o.f.a. website and read the information on thyroids .

Old Post 04-21-2019 10:59 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, if a dog is 9 yrs old and has never had a thyroid pill, I think that it is safe to say that he isn't a thyroid dog. I am almost 71 and still trying to hunt. Am I a sissy? If you don't have any more knowledge and are just babbling then I guess that you should be done. And my conscience has always been my guide.

Old Post 04-21-2019 11:13 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Now then I made you not beat around the bush why are you advocating giving a dog or human thyroid pills that are in normal ranges ?

Tar

Old Post 04-21-2019 11:19 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, am I "advocating"? I am trying to learn through discussion. But right now I don't think people that give their dogs thyroid pills to keep their performance at an optimal level are cheating as long as they don't overmedicate them. And I may be wrong but from what I have read, overmedicating defeats the purpose. But then I don't have any firsthand experience like Tarbaby.

Old Post 04-22-2019 12:54 AM
yadkintar
Banned

I had about $8,000 + first hand experience!!! Because somebody thought it was ok. If you want to do it go for it !!! I don’t know what else to say to make you understand it is wrong. If you had race horses instead of hounds you would get the pee waddle fined out of you for it and loose your reputation. Why have honor rules if you are going to let people dope their dogs for an advantage or breed dogs with genetic very costly defects that the breeder knows and decides not to disclose because it means a loss in profit.

I don’t want to talk about it no more.

Tar

Old Post 04-22-2019 01:19 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Does that mean that we can't talk about it?

Old Post 04-22-2019 02:07 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Purina Nationals is this coming weekend. I hope that I get my thyroid pills this week. I will double up on them to see if I can keep up with those younger handlers.

Old Post 04-22-2019 02:03 PM
yadkintar
Banned

You think it’s funny but it’s not ! It’s about as funny as you having to admit your pure bred bob tailed redbone was caused because they got wiemeramor bird dog in them !!

Hee,hee,hee,ha,ha,ha,ho,ho,ho !!

Tarbaby

Old Post 04-22-2019 02:11 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
......I don’t want to talk about it no more.
Tar

Oh my goodness....

Old Post 04-22-2019 02:43 PM
yadkintar
Banned

A bob tailed thyroid dog I think it’s funny lmbo !

Tarbaby

Old Post 04-22-2019 02:46 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Looks like you don't want to talk about it any less either. Now you are just babbling. You have run out of any facts and are just making things up. You sound like those Democratic congressman on the TV this morning.

Old Post 04-22-2019 03:28 PM
yadkintar
Banned

We tried to tell you the facts it wasn’t what you wanted to hear so now I am going deep undercover to do some digging on bob tailed thyroid redbones.

Tarbaby

Old Post 04-22-2019 03:37 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

Is ole Tar picking on ya again? I think he kinda likes that bob tailed red pup. Do want you to answer me one thing though. Why would a 71 year old man that feels good want to start taking thyroid meds for? The doc will start you out on a low dose then you come back in 90 days for another blood test then he will adjust your meds then in 90 days another blood test and it will just keep going. It's a business now instead of healthcare. I'd like to hear from someone that is over 60 that the doc can't find something wrong with. If you really believe then go ahead and take Tars pink pills. Might be safer than the blue ones. Heard they would make ya go blind and the last thing we need is a 71 year old blind man wandering around through the woods trying to follow a red dog. lmao

Old Post 04-22-2019 04:18 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I am going to try them because Tarbaby said they would make me a winner. He is still mad because I wouldn't give him Bobbie. I told my wife that he is posting about her poor tail challenged little girl. She wanted to know how far it is to Oklahoma and if I thought that her old car would make it out there. But don't worry Tarbaby, I told her no.

And the Dr already said that I had cataracts and was going blind. I am going to have to get eye surgery next. In a couple of months, I will be just like the 6 Million Dollar Man.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 04-22-2019 at 04:38 PM

Old Post 04-22-2019 04:34 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Your wife would be madder at you than she is at me for making fun of her dog if you found where she hid your blue pills.

Tar

Old Post 04-22-2019 05:09 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

I really hope you take your thyroid issue serious. Research all the information you can on the subject of low and high thyroid symptoms and have an informed discussion with your doctor. Both low and high thyroid levels are very serious and should be treated. Neither condition is a laughing matter in man or dog. Knowledge of the subject matter can be a valuable asset. No one should ever medicate a dog that does not need medication. Dave

Old Post 04-22-2019 10:05 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Dave no way would I ever want a human being to not get treatment that could save their life.

And if somebody wants to give their dog steroids , 5 hr energy drinks , thyroid pills or the new fad rentlen ADHD medication it keeps them energetic and focused. It’s their dog. What I am against is them breeding them and selling pups to unaware costumers. Then instead of facing the music they blame it on all these other things to keep their profit. They are not being held responsible for their actions one that was on the front end of this went to prison twice for selling dope to kids and it surprises you that they would sell you a pup or let you breed to a dog that is genetically flawed and reproducing the same for a profit.

Buyer beware , buyer beware , buyer beware!!!!

Tar

Old Post 04-22-2019 10:30 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

I agree with you 100 percent, there is absolutely no reason to give meds or anything to a dog that DOES NOT need these things. Doping is doping and those things are unethical to say the least and cheating in anyone's mind. Breeders who do as you say are unfit breeders and should be black listed. I commend you for taking this position in exposing these things. You may offend those who are guilty, but they chose that path and deserve all they get from doing these things. Exposure is needed for all of us to make informed buying decisions, silience is NOT golden in these cases. I say kudos to you Tar and for anyone else willing to stand and expose this type of behavior. Dave

Old Post 04-22-2019 10:51 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Dave no way would I ever want a human being to not get treatment that could save their life.

And if somebody wants to give their dog steroids , 5 hr energy drinks , thyroid pills or the new fad rentlen ADHD medication it keeps them energetic and focused. It’s their dog. What I am against is them breeding them and selling pups to unaware costumers. Then instead of facing the music they blame it on all these other things to keep their profit. They are not being held responsible for their actions one that was on the front end of this went to prison twice for selling dope to kids and it surprises you that they would sell you a pup or let you breed to a dog that is genetically flawed and reproducing the same for a profit.

Buyer beware , buyer beware , buyer beware!!!!

Tar

Who are these mysterious breeders? Are they dead and gone? Are you the only one living to tell there story? Are the young hunters learning how to get there pictures taken by doing what you say worked back in the day?

Old Post 04-22-2019 11:31 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
Who are these mysterious breeders? Are they dead and gone? Are you the only one living to tell there story? Are the young hunters learning how to get there pictures taken by doing what you say worked back in the day?

A few months ago we broke our old female out. Put her in a hunt. Won our first night out. She got snake bit and her leg was swelled up the next day. Got us some of them steroids. Cause that’s what it’s for. 8 hours later she was .8 in 10 min on a slick. Lol. Then recut and went 2.2 and had a coon and acted like she was 3 again. We didn’t get this stuff from a vet. Next time I get a good one I’ll be ready. Yes there is some juicing going on in the hunts.

Old Post 04-23-2019 04:47 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wes Coffman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
A few months ago we broke our old female out. Put her in a hunt. Won our first night out. She got snake bit and her leg was swelled up the next day. Got us some of them steroids. Cause that’s what it’s for. 8 hours later she was .8 in 10 min on a slick. Lol. Then recut and went 2.2 and had a coon and acted like she was 3 again. We didn’t get this stuff from a vet. Next time I get a good one I’ll be ready. Yes there is some juicing going on in the hunts.

Different types of steroids...you likely got prednisone or dexamethasone...these are for inflammatory reactions in the body...anabolic steroids are performance enhancers.

Old Post 04-23-2019 12:20 PM
Wes Coffman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wes Coffman Click here to Send Wes Coffman a Private Message Click Here to Email Wes Coffman Find more posts by Wes Coffman Add Wes Coffman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams

LOL, I Juice My Self Every Morning With A Cup or 2 Of Coffee, never needed it till I hit 25 years old.

Old Post 04-23-2019 01:08 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote