UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Whats the Law in your State on Guns for Coon Hunting.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Whats the Law in your State on Guns for Coon Hunting.

In FL it wasn't until around 1980 that you could use a gun coon hunting at night in FL.. We don't have a close season on coon but hunting on some public land stops in early march.

Before we could use a gun in S. FL we would carry a telescoping aluminum pole that was designed to be a handle on a shrimp dip net used off bridges. It was about 8' long and it telescoped out to about 16'. One of us would hook it on our belt loop in the center of our back and that thing would follow you all through those swamps. Actually amazing to see and you would never think it would work. We would poke the coon out and the fun would begin. I also learned that coon (most animals) hate the sound of aluminum tapping on a tree near them as many coon would jump out if you just got it near them.

The tree climbers we used were not the ones the lineman used as they have short and straight spurs. The ones designed for tree climbing are longer and curved slightly.

In around 1980 the let us was a single shot 22 only loaded at the tree. That has now changed to about any 22 but still loaded at the tree. Also can use a .410 with six shot or larger. Thing is that in some of these tall trees the coon just laugh at #6 shot coming their way. I have a savage .22/410 over and under but that thing is heavy. Mainly used when we think an good young prospect may not be accurate enough as them shotgun pellets can make plenty of coon look to verify what is going on.

Funny thing is we use to pole them out long before John Wick wrote about how that would make a dog loose on a tree. We never cared about that and we had dogs that would tree a plenty. They would also listen fro that thump on the ground and then start looking for the coon. Now disrespect to Mr. Wick here. Just stating the time frame of all this and not climbing trees and shaking them out is good for many reasons. Safety is #1.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-02-2020 10:41 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Jump out races won’t hurt the wood monsters of today. With these new squalers you don’t need a gun.

Tar

Old Post 04-02-2020 01:40 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Jump out races won’t hurt the wood monsters of today. With these new squalers you don’t need a gun.

Tar

Tar, what kind of squaller do you use? In the past I always just squalled with my mouth but my throat won't take it anymore. I have tried various squallers and 90+ percent of the time I might as well throw rocks at the tree. Sometimes they will look but seldom can I get them to move. And yes I can make the trill sound. Really would like a good squaller that worked for me.

Old Post 04-02-2020 02:37 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Tom a local guy makes them he puts a screen in it the tim ball squaller one speck of dirt and it was stopped up. I will get you one he only gets $20 for them.

Tar

Old Post 04-02-2020 02:47 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Tom a local guy makes them he puts a screen in it the tim ball squaller one speck of dirt and it was stopped up. I will get you one he only gets $20 for them.

Tar

No way! Lol

Old Post 04-02-2020 02:55 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
No way! Lol

Yes they ain’t fancy to look at but they probly got the same reed yours got. I just called him I will pick up two tomorrow.

Ps: he had the tax dog here in Oklahoma he hunted dogs for ball.

Tar

Old Post 04-02-2020 03:00 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Yes they ain’t fancy to look at but they probly got the same reed yours got. I just called him I will pick up two tomorrow.

Ps: he had the tax dog here in Oklahoma he hunted dogs for ball.

Tar

We're the only company that actually designed and makes their own reeds.

A T-Ball coon squaller is just a single metal JC Reed in a piece of wood. A screen isn't going make any difference on longevity. You could make the exact same sound in any piece of wood for less than $2 in under 5 minutes. All you need is a drill and a stick off the ground.

Last edited by Josh Michaelis on 04-02-2020 at 03:20 PM

Old Post 04-02-2020 03:18 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jack haughton
UKC Forum Member

Whats the law in your state

Up here in Ontario you can use a 22 rim fire ,no magnums,but only in coon season,Oct to Jan. Chase season is from Jan. to Oct. no guns.Dogs must be licenced hounds.All properties must have signed permissions to hunt.

HOME OF THE BLU MARU BLUETICKS.GR CH Haughtons Genesse Maru.FCH CH Haughtons Jorja .Blu.CH.Ruby Maru.and Blu Poppyhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/genessemaru/101010_ThanksgivingPuppies2010_1163.jpg

Old Post 04-02-2020 03:19 PM
jack haughton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jack haughton Click here to Send jack haughton a Private Message Find more posts by jack haughton Add jack haughton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

In Indiana there has never been any restriction on weapon used to take coon in season that I know of, though for many years getting caught with a firearm out of season was an automatic ticket and likely confiscation of firearm. A few years ago that law was changed where we can carry a firearm of any type while running hounds, it's considered personal protection. Still illegal to use it on a coon out of season though.

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 04-02-2020 03:19 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
We're the only company that actually designed and makes their own reeds.

A T-Ball coon squaller is just a single metal JC Reed in a piece of wood. A screen isn't going make any difference on longevity. You could make the exact same sound in any piece of wood for less than $2 in under 5 minutes. All you need is a drill and a stick off the ground.

The screen isent for sound it’s to keep the dirt out pm me your address I will send you one they work but all I know is I blow on it and it makes the coons move I don’t know what’s in them.

Tar

Old Post 04-02-2020 03:31 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
The screen isent for sound it’s to keep the dirt out pm me your address I will send you one they work but all I know is I blow on it and it makes the coons move I don’t know what’s in them.

Tar

I realize that.

As long as you believe it makes a difference that's all that matters.

Old Post 04-02-2020 03:55 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
I realize that.

As long as you believe it makes a difference that's all that matters.

I use the ball sqauller to squirrel hunt with you can chirp it drives them crazy. I can’t keep the trash out of it I got extra reeds seems like when you get trash in it and blow them it ruins the reeds. But I don’t know if that’s it.

Ball told me all it is was a weems preditor call with his sticker lol

Tar

Old Post 04-02-2020 04:01 PM
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

In Indiana we can shoot them with whatever form of Projectile we wish. And I carry my squaller around my neck, it’s a BSGC, and I’ve never had any issues with “trash” getting in it, guess I don’t put as many things in my mouth as some other folks do 🤷‍♀️

Old Post 04-02-2020 04:13 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JMiller
UKC Forum Member

Alabama

Coon season is open year round now in Alabama. Firearms that is legal is Shotgun using No. 6 or smaller or any .22 caliber rimfire . That is what is listed in the Alabama Game and Fish Regulations 220-2-.02

Old Post 04-02-2020 04:18 PM
JMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JMiller Click here to Send JMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email JMiller Find more posts by JMiller Add JMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Sfox91
In Indiana we can shoot them with whatever form of Projectile we wish. And I carry my squaller around my neck, it’s a BSGC, and I’ve never had any issues with “trash” getting in it, guess I don’t put as many things in my mouth as some other folks do 🤷‍♀️

No but you got a smart mouth take that any way you want to.

Robert hitt

Old Post 04-02-2020 04:20 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I use the ball sqauller to squirrel hunt with you can chirp it drives them crazy. I can’t keep the trash out of it I got extra reeds seems like when you get trash in it and blow them it ruins the reeds. But I don’t know if that’s it.

Ball told me all it is was a weems preditor call with his sticker lol

Tar

Just turn it around blow from other end, or run some water through the other end. Usually when them little reeds fail in those small T-Ball squallers it's because their exhaust hole is so small they lock up, or the reed just breaks.

Old Post 04-02-2020 04:26 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Just turn it around blow from other end, or run some water through the other end. Usually when them little reeds fail in those small T-Ball squallers it's because their exhaust hole is so small they lock up, or the reed just breaks.

Yep I did the water trick it works a couple times. We got so much underbrush here I started putting a little baggie with a rubber band around mine.

Tar

Old Post 04-02-2020 04:35 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

22 rim fire here,magnums included. Gun season Oct 15 to Mar 31,training only July 1 to Oct 14. No training at all from Apr 1. - June 30(haha)

T-ball and a red light if he's there I'll show it to ya. I've lost a couple but only had one screw up in 30 years. Always carried it in bibs pouch. Blew on it one night it was plugged. Blew harder a scotch mint comes out like a missile took my buddy right in the forehead he went down like he was shot lol

Old Post 04-02-2020 04:57 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrokeBackKennel
Banned

The glow in the dark Timothy ball squaller is all that’s needed here once the coon sees it’s headed there way they automatically start climbing down the tree to give up 🌹🌹🌹🙈🙉🙊🐒

Broke Back Kennels video productions

Old Post 04-16-2020 09:11 PM
BrokeBackKennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BrokeBackKennel Click here to Send BrokeBackKennel a Private Message Click Here to Email BrokeBackKennel Find more posts by BrokeBackKennel Add BrokeBackKennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote