UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > My coonhounds won't eat
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

My coonhounds won't eat

So I have both my B&T's on Valu-Pak the blue bag dog food, Plus I would mix in wet food Purina Pro Plan Focus Puppy food. Well, the last couple of days, they only want the wet food. They are refusing to eat the dry food. So, I switched kibble to Purina Dog Chow, yes I know it's a bad dog food, but I wanted to see if it was the Valu-Pak kibble they didn't want. They refuse to eat the Purina Dog Chow kibble too. They are eating grass too, more than usual. Both of them are having loose stool too. They are drinking water, when I can keep it in their water tub. They like to dump out the water tub. Do not know if it is a behavioral thing or what. But i have not been able to get my male to stop his incessant barking. Unless I put the bark collar on him. And I do not like doing that. I am VERY VERY Worried about them not eating the kibble.
My female is now almost 11 months old, my male is 9 months old.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-18-2020 06:59 PM
tjcc1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tjcc1978 Click here to Send tjcc1978 a Private Message Find more posts by tjcc1978 Add tjcc1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrokeBackKennel
Banned

Proubally full , sometimes a dogs apatite changes with the seasons.

Broke Back Kennels video productions

Old Post 03-18-2020 09:57 PM
BrokeBackKennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BrokeBackKennel Click here to Send BrokeBackKennel a Private Message Click Here to Email BrokeBackKennel Find more posts by BrokeBackKennel Add BrokeBackKennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

When dogs don't eat something isn't right. Are they eating anything? Is there any blood in the stool? Always start with the simple stuff could just be wormy.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 03-18-2020 10:16 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arachyd
UKC Forum Member

Do they show interest in eating other foods? If they just don't like their food they'll eventually get hungry and eat it. If something is wrong internally they probably won't eat other foods either. I'd try feeding them something mild like buttered rice or sweet potatoes (interesting but not anything they'd love so they don't think they can pick and choose what to eat if they wait long enough) and see if they'll eat it. If they don't eat that there's something wrong. If they eat it and have problems (puking, diarrhea) there's something wrong. If they are ok with it they don't like their kibble.

Old Post 03-19-2020 04:20 PM
arachyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arachyd Click here to Send arachyd a Private Message Find more posts by arachyd Add arachyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pegjerben
UKC Forum Member

Since the female is about 11 months, has she had her heat cycle? Some of my females (past and present) quit eating or don't eat right for about a week when they come in heat.

Old Post 03-20-2020 02:58 PM
pegjerben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pegjerben Click here to Send pegjerben a Private Message Click Here to Email pegjerben Find more posts by pegjerben Add pegjerben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckeyeBoys
UKC Forum Member

I agree with Mafia, sounds like worms.

Old Post 03-20-2020 04:29 PM
BuckeyeBoys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BuckeyeBoys Click here to Send BuckeyeBoys a Private Message Find more posts by BuckeyeBoys Add BuckeyeBoys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildwilly0161
UKC Forum Member

good advice above!

One other thing,
Be careful switching feeds abruptly! If you change over to new dog food to quickly you can notice all of the symptoms both of your Hounds are having because the Flora in their stomach has not had time to adjust to the new feed.
I follow a gradual switching scale. 75%(original mixed with)25%(new) for 2 or 3 days, followed by a 50/50% mix for 2 to 3 day and then switching to 25% (old feed) mixed with 75% new feed for 2 to 3 days then switching to 100% new feed.
Some Dogs take even longer to adjust correctly.

This may be the problem your experiencing, however, when in doubt there is No substitution for a good vet.

Click link to see our Upcoming library Obedience Video !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TtkiewjtvM

Home of Dual GR.CH. !! Bad Boy Brussel !!

GR.CH.GR.NITE.CH.BRUSSEL SPROUTS ROAST
(((((((One of the smartest coon hounds on the Face of the EARTH))))))) 40 verbal comands 20 hand signals !! Amazing In the Woods!!!!
Pm for DVD Video !!

Wild Willy's Way to Complete Coon Hound Control training system / Specializing in Coonhound Control and Scent Training Scent Hounds !!! With Positive Reinforcement Methods !!! Click the link to watch WildWilly'sWay to 10 minute Loading training- Quick Tip
https://youtu.be/zUa7hT7Tbgg See a Sneak Peek of our beliefs on Off Game Breaking with this link- Off game Breaking https://youtu.be/tVouPD95P9s

Old Post 03-22-2020 07:31 PM
wildwilly0161 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildwilly0161 Click here to Send wildwilly0161 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildwilly0161 Find more posts by wildwilly0161 Add wildwilly0161 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pegjerben
Since the female is about 11 months, has she had her heat cycle? Some of my females (past and present) quit eating or don't eat right for about a week when they come in heat.

She's actually pregnant right now...

Old Post 04-04-2020 05:36 AM
tjcc1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tjcc1978 Click here to Send tjcc1978 a Private Message Find more posts by tjcc1978 Add tjcc1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

GIVE THEM A RIBEYE

Old Post 04-06-2020 01:49 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

GIVE THEM A RIBEYE

Old Post 04-06-2020 01:49 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by tjcc1978
She's actually pregnant right now...
She might want ice cream and pickles.

Old Post 04-06-2020 01:52 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arachyd
UKC Forum Member

Give her fruit. I bet she'll eat a cut up apple.

Old Post 04-06-2020 04:56 AM
arachyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arachyd Click here to Send arachyd a Private Message Find more posts by arachyd Add arachyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote