UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > The Lipper Strain
Pages (11): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Diggerman
Banned

With a thousand litters on the ground ,somebody would have had to get it right. If Lipper is the reproducer that he is promoted to be and has impacted and changed the breed for the better, Which he has probrobly done, wouldn't this litter be a step backwards?I am a Lipper fan also and am curious to see how they turn out. However if they are what you are hypeing them up tobe, then everybody since would have had to failed in thier breeding programs. Not likely. So is this just another promo for $$$$. probrobly, Will haveing Lipper up close in your ped give you a designer ped, yes. Will it make your hound better?Only if you agree that all of the breeding since Lippers direct breedings, were watered downfailures..Or am I missing something?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-09-2010 06:33 PM
Diggerman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Diggerman Click here to Send Diggerman a Private Message Click Here to Email Diggerman Find more posts by Diggerman Add Diggerman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brandon Coselman
UKC Forum Member

You guys crack me up... Give the man and the dog some credit!!! Mr. Hopkins and Lipper have and prolly will continue to do more for the walker breed that most of us dream of...

Home of: 2017 Grand Masters Invitational Champion, 2016 & 2017 Michigan PKC State Champion PCH GRNITECH 'PR' Mr Clean's Snooki
&
2022 Senior SS Reserve Champion PCH GRNITECH Snooki's Jwoww

Last edited by Brandon Coselman on 07-10-2010 at 09:50 AM

Old Post 07-09-2010 06:41 PM
Brandon Coselman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brandon Coselman Click here to Send Brandon Coselman a Private Message Click Here to Email Brandon Coselman Find more posts by Brandon Coselman Add Brandon Coselman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hopkins/Lipper
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Why...?.........Maybe-------

quote:
Originally posted by HistoryNutt
I agree Tim. It is exciting to see someone get back into something they loved. Also this semen is 26 years old taken when Lipper was only two. That is exciting as to what science can help us accomplish.

Lipper had a big Impact on the breed and these little Lippers could have the next big impact. It will be exciting to watch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tim and Don... Excited is a good word but not big enough to express how I am feeling about the most talked about litter of unborn coonhounds in the world. I am about to explode..BOOM!!! The realization of actually holding a LIPPER pup from him when he was 2 years old from semen I collected 26 years ago is just a miracle. I cannot explain how much this means to me and the IMPACT that it will have on the coonhunting world...Will HOUSE"S LIPPER please come back to the front of the line!!!!

Tom Hopkins
Hopkins/Lipper

ADIOS LIGHTNING
HOPKINS CASH
AND NOW...
2015 PERFORMANCE SIRES
2015 SUPERSTAKES SIRES
2015 CHKC SUPER STUDS
LIPPER'S DR. LAW
AND
LIPPER'S IMPACT

Old Post 07-09-2010 06:47 PM
Hopkins/Lipper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hopkins/Lipper Click here to Send Hopkins/Lipper a Private Message Click Here to Email Hopkins/Lipper Find more posts by Hopkins/Lipper Add Hopkins/Lipper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Late Night J
UKC Forum Member

Big Lipp

Diggerman, I dont think Mr. Hopkins is saying that todays dogs are a failure but I will tell you what IM saying. Im saying that some strains in todays Walker breed have taken a turn for the worst. Now when I say that I mean that todays dog is quick to get treed and quick to give somebody a chance to LIE about seeing a coon. I know alot of professional handlers that say all they need is a dog that will get treed and stay treed to win a cast. I think that after a while of breeding those type dogs you start to loose some tracking ability and accuracy. Now another reason those types are dogs are so big now days is because alot of people just dont have the big land that they did 20 years ago. Today alot of folks hunt in small sections and dont want a dog that will go where the coon goes but will just get treed in that section. I dont think this Lipper cross will help the bucket feeder hunters program. Now as far as "DESIGNER PED ???" I think instead of addressing the Lipper cross you should look at alot of these "ALL GRAND" tree dogs. Folks Im only saying what most of everybody on here already knows. Also Id like to add , I AM NOT downing tree dogs. A dog that wont tree is absolutely WORTHLESS !! But one that trees and dont have the coon falls in the same category . JMO which aint much !

Old Post 07-09-2010 10:41 PM
Late Night J is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Late Night J Click here to Send Late Night J a Private Message Find more posts by Late Night J Add Late Night J to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Diggerman
Banned

Re: Big Lipp

quote:
Originally posted by Late Night J
Diggerman, I dont think Mr. Hopkins is saying that todays dogs are a failure but I will tell you what IM saying. Im saying that some strains in todays Walker breed have taken a turn for the worst. Now when I say that I mean that todays dog is quick to get treed and quick to give somebody a chance to LIE about seeing a coon. I know alot of professional handlers that say all they need is a dog that will get treed and stay treed to win a cast. I think that after a while of breeding those type dogs you start to loose some tracking ability and accuracy. Now another reason those types are dogs are so big now days is because alot of people just dont have the big land that they did 20 years ago. Today alot of folks hunt in small sections and dont want a dog that will go where the coon goes but will just get treed in that section. I dont think this Lipper cross will help the bucket feeder hunters program. Now as far as "DESIGNER PED ???" I think instead of addressing the Lipper cross you should look at alot of these "ALL GRAND" tree dogs. Folks Im only saying what most of everybody on here already knows. Also Id like to add , I AM NOT downing tree dogs. A dog that wont tree is absolutely WORTHLESS !! But one that trees and dont have the coon falls in the same category . JMO which aint much !
Look, I am not downing Lipper or hopkins, What I am saying is If a sire , any sire, that does that much for its breed, his offspring should be better every generation, especially if line bred. Therefor these pups ,albeit direct off Lipper should not be as good as a well line bred Lipper hound that would actually carry more Lipper blood. or am I wrong? I also am not impressed by alot of ALL GRANDS either. I believe If you want an unadulterated hound you have to go to the biggame breeders ,Where a hound has to work for a liveing, and culling is done according to ability, not name, and slick treeing is not tolerated

Old Post 07-10-2010 01:11 AM
Diggerman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Diggerman Click here to Send Diggerman a Private Message Click Here to Email Diggerman Find more posts by Diggerman Add Diggerman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BAWL_TRACK
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Diggerman
With a thousand litters on the ground ,somebody would have had to get it right. If Lipper is the reproducer that he is promoted to be and has impacted and changed the breed for the better, Which he has probrobly done, wouldn't this litter be a step backwards?I am a Lipper fan also and am curious to see how they turn out. However if they are what you are hypeing them up tobe, then everybody since would have had to failed in thier breeding programs. Not likely. So is this just another promo for $$$$. probrobly, Will haveing Lipper up close in your ped give you a designer ped, yes. Will it make your hound better?Only if you agree that all of the breeding since Lippers direct breedings, were watered downfailures..Or am I missing something?
if they treed coons then whats the difference in breeding to dogs later down the road that trees coons now.... how you going to say thats backwards .....if they dog treeing coon is pretty simple ....... what can you breed for now that you couldnt breed for then ...... maybe styles but thats about it

Old Post 07-10-2010 01:31 AM
BAWL_TRACK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BAWL_TRACK Click here to Send BAWL_TRACK a Private Message Click Here to Email BAWL_TRACK Find more posts by BAWL_TRACK Add BAWL_TRACK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Big Lipp

quote:
Look, I am not downing Lipper or hopkins, What I am saying is If a sire , any sire, that does that much for its breed, his offspring should be better every generation, especially if line bred. Therefor these pups ,albeit direct off Lipper should not be as good as a well line bred Lipper hound that would actually carry more Lipper blood. or am I wrong?

Since you asked, I will answer. YES, YOU ARE WRONG!

(1) Offspring should be better every generation? That presumes that Lipper is the weak link in the pedigree. Otherwise, where is the improvement coming from?

(2) especially if linebred? Linebreeding will not improve on the best individuals of a line. If anything, it will often lead to a regression to the average of the bloodline. By using the best individuals you may pull the average of the line up, but, except in rare situations, you will not get pups that exceed the best of the line.

(3) It sounds like you're buying into that fable that a good stud dog will consistently produce pups as good or better than himself. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY "OUTSTANDING" DOG DO THAT. That's a marketing gimmick that's simply not true.

Old Post 07-10-2010 06:13 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joey

I have always heard that but it never made any sense to me. The dog can only be so good and that's it. To think they can get better every litter if bred properly is far fetched in my opinion.

Old Post 07-10-2010 06:51 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Knox
UKC Forum Member

I agree................

quote:
Originally posted by Joey
I have always heard that but it never made any sense to me. The dog can only be so good and that's it. To think they can get better every litter if bred properly is far fetched in my opinion.

Never made any sense to me either..................

Its a gamble any time you breed and raise pups, most of the time the genetics are there to make a coon-dog, you have to have the right trainer to bring out the best in it...

Just my thought......................Tim

=====================

Old Post 07-10-2010 11:45 AM
Knox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Knox Click here to Send Knox a Private Message Click Here to Email Knox Find more posts by Knox Add Knox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HistoryNutt
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Big Lipp

quote:
Look, I am not downing Lipper or hopkins, What I am saying is If a sire , any sire, that does that much for its breed, his offspring should be better every generation, especially if line bred. Therefor these pups ,albeit direct off Lipper should not be as good as a well line bred Lipper hound that would actually carry more Lipper blood. or am I wrong? I also am not impressed by alot of ALL GRANDS either. I believe If you want an unadulterated hound you have to go to the biggame breeders ,Where a hound has to work for a liveing, and culling is done according to ability, not name, and slick treeing is not tolerated

If you will look at the breeding of the mama of this Litter Of Impact, you will see it IS breeding Lipper BACK to the Lipper Strain.

http://www.finleyriverchief.com

Sites I like to visit that have a lot of information:

A Lot Of Old Pictures And Ads

http://finleyriverchief.forumotion.net

Register On The Above Forum To See A Lot More Old Pictures And Ads.
There are more that you can't access unless registered.

Old Post 07-10-2010 12:34 PM
HistoryNutt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HistoryNutt Click here to Send HistoryNutt a Private Message Click Here to Email HistoryNutt Visit HistoryNutt's homepage! Find more posts by HistoryNutt Add HistoryNutt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Diggerman
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Big Lipp

quote:
Originally posted by honalieh
Since you asked, I will answer. YES, YOU ARE WRONG!

(1) Offspring should be better every generation? That presumes that Lipper is the weak link in the pedigree. Otherwise, where is the improvement coming from?

(2) especially if linebred? Linebreeding will not improve on the best individuals of a line. If anything, it will often lead to a regression to the average of the bloodline. By using the best individuals you may pull the average of the line up, but, except in rare situations, you will not get pups that exceed the best of the line.

(3) It sounds like you're buying into that fable that a good stud dog will consistently produce pups as good or better than himself. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY "OUTSTANDING" DOG DO THAT. That's a marketing gimmick that's simply not true.

Oh well ,I have been wrong before. But I would like to know 1) what kind of breeding a program doesn't strive for improvement? 2) Line breeding and proper culling will stack desireable traits and limit undesireable traits 3) No, I haven't bought into the stud dog thing. I try to research Lines that fit my type of hunting and try to pick hounds from breeders(not promoters) who are continueing to improve those lines.

Old Post 07-10-2010 01:37 PM
Diggerman
Banned

Sorry

Sorry Mr. Hopkins, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I just asked an honest question,no disrespect intended. Good luck with your litter

Old Post 07-10-2010 01:43 PM
Hopkins/Lipper
UKC Forum Member

Reinforcing LIPPER TRAITS..

Hey guys...If all dogs got better and better with every generation, even with careful line breeding where would it end, how much better coulds they get? The truth is every great once in a while comes along a dog like LIPPER that is overloaded with traits and characteristics that serious hunters desire. LIPPER was one such hound. He had an overabundance of everything...a burning desire to hunt hard and fast, an exceptional nose, highly intelligant,unbelievable overpowering mouth, and was a drown out LOUD pressure treed dog that was extremely accurate. He was born with this and passed it to his descendants with great success. To bring back these concentrated traits from his 26 year old semen from when he was 2, will strengthen his contribution to the breed and bring back what has been lost or watered down over the past 26 years. It puts more meat in the stew.

PS... THIS A MUST READ FOR DIGGERMAN..

Tom Hopkins
Hopkins/Lipper

ADIOS LIGHTNING
HOPKINS CASH
AND NOW...
2015 PERFORMANCE SIRES
2015 SUPERSTAKES SIRES
2015 CHKC SUPER STUDS
LIPPER'S DR. LAW
AND
LIPPER'S IMPACT

Last edited by Hopkins/Lipper on 07-10-2010 at 03:51 PM

Old Post 07-10-2010 02:41 PM
Hopkins/Lipper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hopkins/Lipper Click here to Send Hopkins/Lipper a Private Message Click Here to Email Hopkins/Lipper Find more posts by Hopkins/Lipper Add Hopkins/Lipper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josh
UKC Forum Member

Why now?

I recon 26 years might be just enough for most to forget all the baggage that came with Lipper...

Old Post 07-10-2010 04:31 PM
josh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for josh Click here to Send josh a Private Message Click Here to Email josh Find more posts by josh Add josh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

dont forget guys its not just breeding/the pups born and instant coon dog.it takes alot of time and hardwork to bringout the natural born gifts of these dogs and lets face it just like anything else most of todays hunters are to impatient and lazy to put the time into a hound to bring out its top attributes so they get passed around and simply done nothing with. this is not the hounds fault it is the hunters and i hope mr hopkins hand picks and cks out everybody that ends up witha pup. oh and there is very few that can afford to just buy one and to me there is no satisfaction in that. instead of getting 10 hounds and hunting them 1 nite get 1 hound and spend 10 nites in the woods with them/be patient and train your own. lets face it the traits that are bred into a pup are only good if they get the oppurtunity to deveelop them. jmo

Old Post 07-10-2010 04:42 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hopkins/Lipper
UKC Forum Member

Read the Above Thread..

The WHY NOW question is pretty well addressed in the post just above your post OH WISE ONE.
Tom Hopkins
Hopkins/LIPPER

ADIOS LIGHTNING
HOPKINS CASH
AND NOW...
2015 PERFORMANCE SIRES
2015 SUPERSTAKES SIRES
2015 CHKC SUPER STUDS
LIPPER'S DR. LAW
AND
LIPPER'S IMPACT

Old Post 07-10-2010 04:46 PM
Hopkins/Lipper
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by POTOMAC
dont forget guys its not just breeding/the pups born and instant coon dog.it takes alot of time and hardwork to bringout the natural born gifts of these dogs and lets face it just like anything else most of todays hunters are to impatient and lazy to put the time into a hound to bring out its top attributes so they get passed around and simply done nothing with. this is not the hounds fault it is the hunters and i hope mr hopkins hand picks and cks out everybody that ends up witha pup. oh and there is very few that can afford to just buy one and to me there is no satisfaction in that. instead of getting 10 hounds and hunting them 1 nite get 1 hound and spend 10 nites in the woods with them/be patient and train your own. lets face it the traits that are bred into a pup are only good if they get the oppurtunity to deveelop them. jmo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well said it is not just who afford one of these little LIPPERS that matters. The key is also to get them to serious hunters. I however believe that who ever is invested that much in one of these pieces of history, will follow through with the hard hunting or will hire someone who will. I will be as certain as possible that who ever gets one ,will put them in the woods and in the winners circle. Also whoever gets one will have the whole coonhound world watching. Thanks for your insight.

Tom Hopkins
Hopkins/Lipper

ADIOS LIGHTNING
HOPKINS CASH
AND NOW...
2015 PERFORMANCE SIRES
2015 SUPERSTAKES SIRES
2015 CHKC SUPER STUDS
LIPPER'S DR. LAW
AND
LIPPER'S IMPACT

Old Post 07-10-2010 05:01 PM
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

I wish you great with them..You can tell your extremly excited about them!

Old Post 07-10-2010 05:36 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chi chi
UKC Forum Member

lipper

i sure hope this litter turns out good because what a man is going to have to pay for a pup they had better be awesome im hearing 3-5000 for one by the other board. good luck on your adventure with the semen hope she has a bakers dozen!

Old Post 07-10-2010 07:47 PM
chi chi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chi chi Click here to Send chi chi a Private Message Find more posts by chi chi Add chi chi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluff country
UKC Forum Member

First off anybody that would give 5 grand for a weanling puppy is retarted , too many things can happen before they become famous . Second , in the last 26 years I have hunted with direct and / or indirect decendants of Lipper that were drop dead gorgeous , extremely loud , get in the country , lightning fast on the track , radical tree dogs that had 2 looking down coon treeing dogs . I have also hunted with direct and / or indirect descendants of Lipper that were collie looking , rat terrier mouthed , not get out of your light , some wanted to run all night , some wouldn't tree , some wanted to tree on trees with no coon , plain old dogs . Mr. Hopkins , I'm glad you are excited about what you have and what you are doing ! What i have just said about Lipper probably could be said about anybodys stud dog . This is in no way a knock on you or Lipper . Just remember chocolate ice cream isn't for everybody and neither is Lipper . I like a little bit of both , too much of either one and it makes me sick ! If most of us look back far enough I'm sure Ole Lipper is in there some where , along with alot of other good dogs . I've got him a few times in the back of my dogs too . I just wish I knew where ole Joe put his share of Lippers load . Good luck and good huntin' !

Old Post 07-11-2010 03:35 AM
bluff country is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluff country Click here to Send bluff country a Private Message Find more posts by bluff country Add bluff country to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

What sort of a reproducer was Lipper? what sort of percentages of pups made anything worthwhile..

My impression and recollection was not positive, and i still am not a lipper fan to this day...

But you can't deny he threw a lot of pups!

Am I unfairly judging the dog? I am not impressed by promotion or marketing, but results..

There's a couple of hounds up close to Lipper that I really like however and that might make it worth while if he gets a good stud dog..

Old Post 07-11-2010 07:56 AM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josh
UKC Forum Member

Im a little slow, so maybe someone wiser than I can help me out...

The walker breed is apparently at a point where only some 26 year old semen can save it.

This semen is from the most popular stud in the history of the breed....Was his impact not already felt?

How can the most influencial stud of the past have no resposibility for where the breed is at today?

Old Post 07-11-2010 03:44 PM
josh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for josh Click here to Send josh a Private Message Click Here to Email josh Find more posts by josh Add josh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by josh
Im a little slow, so maybe someone wiser than I can help me out...

The walker breed is apparently at a point where only some 26 year old semen can save it.

This semen is from the most popular stud in the history of the breed....Was his impact not already felt?

How can the most influencial stud of the past have no resposibility for where the breed is at today?

Very Simple 26 years of "Poor Back Yard Uneducated Breedings"

It Just may take this Old Semen to Fix it All or at least get it Back to a good Start..

Thats why Europe's Hound Breeding have been Preformed by Professional Houndsmen and Kennel Masters for the past 500 years or so ..

Not in "Joes" Back yard with Who knows What.

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Old Post 07-11-2010 03:56 PM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Majestic Tree H
Very Simple 26 years of "Poor Back Yard Uneducated Breedings"

It Just may take this Old Semen to Fix it All or at least get it Back to a good Start..

Thats why Europe's Hound Breeding have been Preformed by Professional Houndsmen and Kennel Masters for the past 500 years or so ..

Not in "Joes" Back yard with Who knows What.

Good start? You go right ahead and keep having your fits of nostalgia looking at old pictures and dreaming of the "old days" I was hunting at that time and dont miss them a bit.

Europe? You have to be joking...

Old Post 07-11-2010 04:10 PM
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

I'am Happy Your Secure with "Mr. Billy Bob Whoever" making a Breeding decision that Automatically gets a "Set of Breeding Papers" on a Litter that gets added to the Gene Pool ..

How about that litter being Hunt Tested before they Recieve a Set of Breeding Papers .. As is now Every Cull in the Litter Gets Papers which allows them the Enter the Breeding Gene Pool ..

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Old Post 07-11-2010 04:19 PM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote