UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Beagles > Performance Pack question for you guys.
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BCBeagles
UKC Forum Member

NO!! He falls in the few category.

Back to topic.....

I still believe credit should not be given...rules commitee seems to think the "poke rabbit" counts...so it counts.

Good running to all!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-25-2014 07:44 PM
BCBeagles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BCBeagles Click here to Send BCBeagles a Private Message Find more posts by BCBeagles Add BCBeagles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midvalleybeagle
UKC Forum Member

Yes it was 2 judges and one was also a rep. Thanks.

GRPCH GRCH MID VALLEY BUNNY BUSTER
TWO FIRST IN HB ALSO. STATE RACE WINNER 2015 PP

GRPCH HBCH MID VALLEY HURRY UP SWEET PEA
2015 MARYLAND STATE PP CHAMPION 5TH IN WORLD 2018

MID VALLEY BUNNY BUSTERS DREAM

MID VALLEY CRACK HEAD NOLA

MID VALLEY & FRAZIERS PICKING BANJO

MICHAEL TOBERY
JENNIFER TOBERY
MICHAEL TOBERY JR
CHASE TOBERY
KAYLYNN TOBERY

Old Post 08-25-2014 07:52 PM
midvalleybeagle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for midvalleybeagle Click here to Send midvalleybeagle a Private Message Click Here to Email midvalleybeagle Visit midvalleybeagle's homepage! Find more posts by midvalleybeagle Add midvalleybeagle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
beaglerMc
UKC Forum Member

So im curious to know now what is the "few" category?? Every dog that's ever obtained a title in UKC not worthy?? Ive run with some pretty **** good hounds all over in UKC that were very much worthy of every point they received. So what dogs do belong in the few category????? Little off subject I know but im curious

Old Post 08-25-2014 07:55 PM
beaglerMc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for beaglerMc Click here to Send beaglerMc a Private Message Click Here to Email beaglerMc Find more posts by beaglerMc Add beaglerMc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bunnybuster24
UKC Forum Member

Jim

I agree credit should be given where credit is due. However, if one rule that may/may not be awarded to the deserving dog makes a dog a paper champ then there are paper champs in every single registry.

How many dogs have been awarded wins in ARHA for hunt/handle? How many dogs that finished in AKC didnt have enough hunt to suit most but still finished?

My point is although I certainly do not agree with giving dogs more than they earned UKC is not the only place that the rules allow a dog to get more than it earned in certain scenarios. Does this make the majority of dogs in UKC paper champs? I think not. If it does there are alot of "paper champs" in other registrys as well.

Old Post 08-25-2014 08:26 PM
bunnybuster24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bunnybuster24 Click here to Send bunnybuster24 a Private Message Click Here to Email bunnybuster24 Find more posts by bunnybuster24 Add bunnybuster24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BCBeagles
UKC Forum Member

People get uneasy when they are pushed to think. and offended when they may be included in the masses...I agree....lots of paper champs in them all, ARHA handling rule is a complete joke....I have stated that on other "boards" as well.

On with the original post......I will probably not be on here much longer......LOL.

All welcome to run anytime! I promise my offensiveness is offset by the fact that IF you do have a quality dog and I see it, I would be the first to give you credit for it....I am not kennel blind, BUT surely style blind...

Old Post 08-25-2014 08:38 PM
BCBeagles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BCBeagles Click here to Send BCBeagles a Private Message Find more posts by BCBeagles Add BCBeagles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BCBeagles
UKC Forum Member

And for the identification of the "few".....I will gladly discuss my philosophies and reveal opinions via the phone.

I have been warned enough about my attitude and I should be more respectful.

Thanks and good running to all!

Old Post 08-25-2014 08:48 PM
HOHBC
UKC Forum Member

Jim,

I agree with you.

I guess every dog that has done this in the UKC PP format are true jump dogs then huh?? Lol

I was up at a UKC PP hunt once, my dog opened up and was put on the clock, for the next 4 minutes, he trotted back and forth trying to line out the track, he went into a big briar patch and before he reached the end of it, he was given the minus, right at that moment this big rabbit came busting out right in front of two dogs, but since the minus was given and we had to handle the dogs, nothing could have been done. We released the dogs on that same rabbit and went by first check. I agree my dog shouldn't have gotten those points, he did not get it in time and I'm not disputing that. My dog knew it was there, he found it but was to late. A non produce was given to him because he did not "produce" it. Producing to me sounds like a dog opening up and finding their rabbit. They no it's there but has to find it before the clock runs out. In midvalleys's situation the dog had no clue it was there. I would have a hard time giving him a produced rabbit. Since the committee voted on this rule it should be enforced, like someone else said to keep the judging on a consistent track.

I'm sure anyone would agree here, that to take a loss in a field trial on that rule would be tough to swallow. I'm sure when the tables on turned you might not agree with it.

Hair or Hole Beagle Club

Last edited by HOHBC on 08-26-2014 at 04:15 AM

Old Post 08-26-2014 03:54 AM
HOHBC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOHBC Click here to Send HOHBC a Private Message Click Here to Email HOHBC Find more posts by HOHBC Add HOHBC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson Boys
UKC Forum Member

UKC is a great format. We love both the hound and hunter and performance pack. It seems like the rules should be tweeked by the committee, to benefit the real rabbit dogs. The dogs got to earn it.

Old Post 08-26-2014 04:15 AM
Jackson Boys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson Boys Click here to Send Jackson Boys a Private Message Click Here to Email Jackson Boys Find more posts by Jackson Boys Add Jackson Boys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sundown Beagles
UKC Forum Member

OK, I sat on the rules committee and can atest that many of these concerns were brought up in a lengthy discussion about this rule. I too thought the hound should have to acknowledge (bark) to get credit. BUT in the end we voted and it is what it is. I as well as everyone else must except the rules as written and understand that we compete our hounds within the confines of the rules. Each registry has goods and bads and when we pay our money we expect to be judged within those rules.
As with any SPORT there is luck be it good or bad. If a football field would have been 99 yards long the Tennessee Titans would have won the 2000 Super Bowl. As someone said earlier they took a minus due to a non-produce after 4 minutes had expired only to have a rabbit pop out of the brush. This is just bad luck as if the rule had said 5 minutes they are looking like a champ. In the end we all need to keep it in perspective and understand that it is just a sport. Sometimes even the best hounds will make a mistake or feel the effects of bad luck. We as handlers need to keep it in perspective and understand that when a hound wins it represents the best hound that day within the rules of the registry we choose to run.
A wise man told me once that "a hounds hardest job is to live up to its owners ego"

Old Post 08-26-2014 01:32 PM
Sundown Beagles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sundown Beagles Click here to Send Sundown Beagles a Private Message Click Here to Email Sundown Beagles Find more posts by Sundown Beagles Add Sundown Beagles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bob keese
UKC Forum Member

Any trial that uses a Bingo machine envolves luck!

Old Post 08-26-2014 10:47 PM
bob keese is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bob keese Click here to Send bob keese a Private Message Click Here to Email bob keese Find more posts by bob keese Add bob keese to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darin carpenter
UKC Forum Member

I agree dave. but with that said I would be vocal to the cast that I didn't agree with the rule and say im sorry. no bark no points in my opion. im saying that about my dogs not anyone elses.

Old Post 08-26-2014 11:27 PM
darin carpenter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darin carpenter Click here to Send darin carpenter a Private Message Click Here to Email darin carpenter Find more posts by darin carpenter Add darin carpenter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jford228
UKC Forum Member

If a dog cant aknowledge the fact that it just jumped a rabbit there is no need to reward the dog with strike points. . . COMMON SENSE tells you this. not sure what the rulebook says. I thought strike points were when a dog was considered struck. . . In my mind a dog should only be considered struck when it acknowledges the game trail and lets you know this by tonguing in pursuit of game !!!! anything otherwise is a joke

Old Post 08-27-2014 12:29 AM
jford228 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jford228 Click here to Send jford228 a Private Message Click Here to Email jford228 Find more posts by jford228 Add jford228 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOHBC
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sundown Beagles
OK, I sat on the rules committee and can atest that many of these concerns were brought up in a lengthy discussion about this rule. I too thought the hound should have to acknowledge (bark) to get credit. BUT in the end we voted and it is what it is. I as well as everyone else must except the rules as written and understand that we compete our hounds within the confines of the rules. Each registry has goods and bads and when we pay our money we expect to be judged within those rules.
As with any SPORT there is luck be it good or bad. If a football field would have been 99 yards long the Tennessee Titans would have won the 2000 Super Bowl. As someone said earlier they took a minus due to a non-produce after 4 minutes had expired only to have a rabbit pop out of the brush. This is just bad luck as if the rule had said 5 minutes they are looking like a champ. In the end we all need to keep it in perspective and understand that it is just a sport. Sometimes even the best hounds will make a mistake or feel the effects of bad luck. We as handlers need to keep it in perspective and understand that when a hound wins it represents the best hound that day within the rules of the registry we choose to run.
A wise man told me once that "a hounds hardest job is to live up to its owners ego"

I agree 100% with you Dave, a hound that wins that day, represents itself being the best dog there that day. I know you love the UKC PP, your passionate Beagler and judge, but don't you think we need to have higher standards on a hunting dog?? I don't think dumb luck should determine a winner. Being on a committee is hard I'm sure. I appreciate all of the board members, that work hard every day to keep this sport alive. I just feel there are areas where the UKC PP can grow stronger.

Sincerely,

Casey Harner

Hair or Hole Beagle Club

Old Post 08-27-2014 01:10 AM
HOHBC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOHBC Click here to Send HOHBC a Private Message Click Here to Email HOHBC Find more posts by HOHBC Add HOHBC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midvalleybeagle
UKC Forum Member

This got this kind of reply on here just wait till happens in a hunt lol lol. Agree disagree hate it love it don't matter it's a rule and rules were made to be followed. As a judge your pretty much stuck whether u agree or disagree. As a handler you have no say.

MICHAEL TOBERY
JENNIFER TOBERY
MICHAEL TOBERY JR
CHASE TOBERY
KAYLYNN TOBERY

Old Post 08-27-2014 01:14 AM
midvalleybeagle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for midvalleybeagle Click here to Send midvalleybeagle a Private Message Click Here to Email midvalleybeagle Visit midvalleybeagle's homepage! Find more posts by midvalleybeagle Add midvalleybeagle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RR Crossing
UKC Forum Member

Think about this situation to those who don't agree with producing the rabbit that your dog is hunting and another is standing around and not doing anything when yours jumps a rabbit out in front of it and it barks before yours that did all the work. I am a judge and run this format and can tell you I have only had this happen once and the dog had the rabbit right after I produced it and we were off.
There is no perfect format the rules are there to try cover the scoring scenarios as best as the rules commitees see fit and there will always be people that disagree a rule in every format. My best advice is to find the format that suits you and your dog or dogs the best.

Ryan Rummell

Old Post 08-27-2014 02:24 AM
RR Crossing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RR Crossing Click here to Send RR Crossing a Private Message Click Here to Email RR Crossing Find more posts by RR Crossing Add RR Crossing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeremy Mapes
UKC Forum Member

I'm torn about this rule but can tell you that I've been on the other end in HB and missed out on points I thought my hound deserved. UKC is not perfect nor is any other format. There are rules that don't always work out as intended every time, but that happens in every format. UKC PP is a great format that I feel as a whole promotes a true rabbit dog.

DCK Rolling Red Rock
DCK Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup
Beagles- (RIP) FC Buckeyes Big John
HBCH PCH Dry Creek Stroke Of Genius
DCK Bounty Hunter
DCK Queen Of The Cage (Rousey)

Old Post 08-28-2014 12:39 AM
Jeremy Mapes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeremy Mapes Click here to Send Jeremy Mapes a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeremy Mapes Visit Jeremy Mapes's homepage! Find more posts by Jeremy Mapes Add Jeremy Mapes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midvalleybeagle
UKC Forum Member

Agree 100% Jeremy ,
They can crucify me now but I think it has a lot less what ifs and a lot less chance for a un worthy hound to get by
Just due to the fact that the handler doesn't matter.

MICHAEL TOBERY
JENNIFER TOBERY
MICHAEL TOBERY JR
CHASE TOBERY
KAYLYNN TOBERY

Old Post 08-28-2014 06:35 AM
bob keese
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by RR Crossing
Think about this situation to those who don't agree with producing the rabbit that your dog is hunting and another is standing around and not doing anything when yours jumps a rabbit out in front of it and it barks before yours that did all the work. I am a judge and run this format and can tell you I have only had this happen once and the dog had the rabbit right after I produced it and we were off.
There is no perfect format the rules are there to try cover the scoring scenarios as best as the rules commitees see fit and there will always be people that disagree a rule in every format. My best advice is to find the format that suits you and your dog or dogs the best.

I have had this happen also. So let's tweek the senario a little. Mike dog sticks his nose in a bush, out pops a rabbit unbeknownst to Mike's dog, runs in front of a dog on the path who has a sight chase. Does the jump dog still get the strike (without openning) and then strike is closed because the judges see the rabbit, all before the dog on the path can open?

I don't like the idea that a dog gets point for a jump and doesn't even know he jumped it, but that is a lot better than the dog standing on the path doing nothing getting the strike.

What do you think?

Old Post 08-28-2014 07:24 PM
bob keese is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bob keese Click here to Send bob keese a Private Message Click Here to Email bob keese Find more posts by bob keese Add bob keese to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blitzen101
UKC Forum Member

flushed

If a dog forces a rabbit from its setup and was seen then it shouldn't matter if it knows it or not. Had the dog by passed the bush rabbit would have sat tight , no jump. Forces is the key and seen also critical.

Old Post 09-24-2014 11:30 PM
blitzen101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blitzen101 Click here to Send blitzen101 a Private Message Find more posts by blitzen101 Add blitzen101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote