UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Beagles > Performance Pack question for you guys.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
midvalleybeagle
UKC Forum Member

Performance Pack question for you guys.

Ok here's the scenario,
One dog left in winners pack Dog is hunting around a thicket Dog puts his head in a Bush and a rabbit pops out the back side of the Bush. Dog has no idea the rabbit was there or that he just jumped it. What happens here???
We had this come up at our trial and learned a lesson that day. What would you Of done.

GRPCH GRCH MID VALLEY BUNNY BUSTER
TWO FIRST IN HB ALSO. STATE RACE WINNER 2015 PP

GRPCH HBCH MID VALLEY HURRY UP SWEET PEA
2015 MARYLAND STATE PP CHAMPION 5TH IN WORLD 2018

MID VALLEY BUNNY BUSTERS DREAM

MID VALLEY CRACK HEAD NOLA

MID VALLEY & FRAZIERS PICKING BANJO

MICHAEL TOBERY
JENNIFER TOBERY
MICHAEL TOBERY JR
CHASE TOBERY
KAYLYNN TOBERY

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-24-2014 04:21 PM
midvalleybeagle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for midvalleybeagle Click here to Send midvalleybeagle a Private Message Click Here to Email midvalleybeagle Visit midvalleybeagle's homepage! Find more posts by midvalleybeagle Add midvalleybeagle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOHBC
UKC Forum Member

Nothing. He didn't know it was there. IMO you can't and shouldn't score that. If no dogs strike the track I would ask the handlers if they want to put the dogs on this track and go with first check.

Hair or Hole Beagle Club

Last edited by HOHBC on 08-24-2014 at 07:34 PM

Old Post 08-24-2014 06:54 PM
HOHBC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOHBC Click here to Send HOHBC a Private Message Click Here to Email HOHBC Find more posts by HOHBC Add HOHBC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yettez_beagles
UKC Forum Member

This is what I would do if I was judging....if the dog is hunting hard and looking for a rabbit and the dog starts acting rabbity sticks his head in the bush and a rabbit pops out I'm producing that rabbit. We've all seen scenarios where a dog gets a rabbit up and just simply for whatever reason can not smell it.

If the dog is just be-bobbing along not caring to much and a rabbit happens to pop out and the dog keeps moving on I wouldn't produce it and then I would ask the handler if they want me to put the dog on the rabbit.

It's nothing but a judgment call. There is not text book 100% correct answer for this that's why they call it judging.

PCH Yette's Bunny Bustin Gravy
Comp. HOF GRPCH Yette's Bunny Bustin Thunder
Yette's Bunny Bustin Molly 2
Yette's Bunny Bustin Hart's Risky Whiskey
Yette's Impressive Bow's Candy

Old Post 08-24-2014 09:25 PM
yettez_beagles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yettez_beagles Click here to Send yettez_beagles a Private Message Click Here to Email yettez_beagles Find more posts by yettez_beagles Add yettez_beagles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midvalleybeagle
UKC Forum Member

There is a text book answer for this fellows. We didn't kick the Bush the dog went in rabbit came out dog produced the rabbit +20. Ukc rep was there and walked us threw this. We to were like you guys dog didn't know it was there but rule book says the dog produced the rabbit and we seen it. Lol. Threw us for a loop to. But a great learning exp.

MICHAEL TOBERY
JENNIFER TOBERY
MICHAEL TOBERY JR
CHASE TOBERY
KAYLYNN TOBERY

Old Post 08-24-2014 11:39 PM
midvalleybeagle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for midvalleybeagle Click here to Send midvalleybeagle a Private Message Click Here to Email midvalleybeagle Visit midvalleybeagle's homepage! Find more posts by midvalleybeagle Add midvalleybeagle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sundown Beagles
UKC Forum Member

Absolutely correct Mike. Plus 20 lock out strike points to rest of cast. Before all the what ifs start the rule is if a dog is in the brush where the rabbit comes out and seen by the judge it is to get strike points and rabbit is produced.
This was discussed in great detail at rules committee. Not a unanimous vote but the majority felt that the dog did produce a rabbit.

Old Post 08-25-2014 01:04 AM
Sundown Beagles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sundown Beagles Click here to Send Sundown Beagles a Private Message Click Here to Email Sundown Beagles Find more posts by Sundown Beagles Add Sundown Beagles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Albert Fulton
UKC Forum Member

In the same senario,what happens if off game comes out the other side . Is he scratched for off game?

Old Post 08-25-2014 02:02 AM
Albert Fulton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Albert Fulton Click here to Send Albert Fulton a Private Message Click Here to Email Albert Fulton Find more posts by Albert Fulton Add Albert Fulton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midvalleybeagle
UKC Forum Member

I say no because producing off game and running off game are totally different scenarios

MICHAEL TOBERY
JENNIFER TOBERY
MICHAEL TOBERY JR
CHASE TOBERY
KAYLYNN TOBERY

Old Post 08-25-2014 02:24 AM
BCBeagles
UKC Forum Member

Producing the rabbit.....gimme a break.....

No points should be afforded for dumb luck.....

Boy the rules benefit the guy who wants some paper champs......

Old Post 08-25-2014 02:41 AM
BCBeagles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BCBeagles Click here to Send BCBeagles a Private Message Find more posts by BCBeagles Add BCBeagles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Albert Fulton
UKC Forum Member

If you get credit for a rabbit your dog does not know went out the other side of the bush, why would he not be punished for off game he flushed out the other side but did not know about?

Old Post 08-25-2014 02:47 AM
Albert Fulton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Albert Fulton Click here to Send Albert Fulton a Private Message Click Here to Email Albert Fulton Find more posts by Albert Fulton Add Albert Fulton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midvalleybeagle
UKC Forum Member

When this happen at our hunt we were all dumb founded by the way you are to score this also. I'm not saying I believe it's he right thing to do what I'm saying is by the rules it's what you must do. If one or two clubs do.it and the rest don't there goes your consistency in judging and we'll then it's all down hill from there.

And to the other comment producing and running are different ....

MICHAEL TOBERY
JENNIFER TOBERY
MICHAEL TOBERY JR
CHASE TOBERY
KAYLYNN TOBERY

Old Post 08-25-2014 03:07 AM
big matt t.
UKC Forum Member

Im with you jim!!!!

"We Hual With Owens Boxes"
GRCH GRHBCH White River Coal Miner
GRCH GRHBCH Weedeater Fire River Blessing (Gena)
GRCH GRHBCH Litttle Italy's Gracie Girl
Regestered National Ch. GRHBCH Hartleyville Grimm Ripper
HBCH Big T's Leo's Coal Trash
GRHBCH Huttons Big T's Rip Fuel
(And Coming Soon)
Whiteriver Awhole Lotta Trouble
Big T's Lucy In The Sky
Big T's Can't Get Right
Big T's Pretty Girl Zoey
( Temperary Home Of )
GRHBCH Buck Lake Lola (RIP OLD GIRL)

Old Post 08-25-2014 03:37 AM
big matt t. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for big matt t. Click here to Send big matt t. a Private Message Click Here to Email big matt t. Find more posts by big matt t. Add big matt t. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmbarnes
UKC Forum Member

There is a difference between producing and being able to run a jumped rabbit. Would the rabbit have left the brush pile if the dog had bypassed it ? Probably not. The dog produced the rabbit when it entered the brush pile as the rabbit felt threatened by the dogs presence.
As far as the off game question. The rule says pursueing off game and nothing about producing off game. So the situation is not the same. As Dave said earlier we had good discussion on when a rabbit is to be considered produced and hopefully we clarified that in new rule book.

Old Post 08-25-2014 03:42 AM
dmbarnes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dmbarnes Click here to Send dmbarnes a Private Message Click Here to Email dmbarnes Visit dmbarnes's homepage! Find more posts by dmbarnes Add dmbarnes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midvalleybeagle
UKC Forum Member

Thank you Dave and Dale for the clarifications. I respect the job the rules committee does and know it's a lot harder then it seems to cover every possible angle of what ifs and could ifs.
Just wanted to get this out there for others to see the correct way to score this situation because I know had Dave not been there we would not of scored it the way it should of been scored.

MICHAEL TOBERY
JENNIFER TOBERY
MICHAEL TOBERY JR
CHASE TOBERY
KAYLYNN TOBERY

Old Post 08-25-2014 03:56 AM
BCBeagles
UKC Forum Member

again...benefits the paper champs.....

Rabbit happens along out a path...closest dog gets the jump...I bet MANY would be awarding points.

By some of those chiming in points would be awarded....when simply they SHOULD NOT....

handler+rule knowledge+average dog=UKC champ......

prove that wrong...

Old Post 08-25-2014 04:44 PM
BCBeagles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BCBeagles Click here to Send BCBeagles a Private Message Find more posts by BCBeagles Add BCBeagles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chippewa01
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by BCBeagles
again...benefits the paper champs.....

Rabbit happens along out a path...closest dog gets the jump...I bet MANY would be awarding points.

By some of those chiming in points would be awarded....when simply they SHOULD NOT....

handler+rule knowledge+average dog=UKC champ......

prove that wrong...

Didnt see anywhere that someone said closest dogs gets award points? The question was how to score a dog that jump a rabbit without knowing it in the act of searching, that was seen by the judge. Therefore the dog produced a rabbit whether he knows it or not. Rules state when a dog produces a rabbit its to be awarded 20 points...If the dogs hunting/searching presence resulted in a "jumped" rabbit its getting the points in my eyes.

Ch HbCh Buckeye Bear of the Brush
PcH GrHbCh Chippewa Bear Cub
GrHbCh Chippewa Little Rachel
HbCh Chippewa King's Shooting Star

http://www.chippewa-valley-kennels.webs.com/

Old Post 08-25-2014 05:10 PM
Chippewa01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chippewa01 Click here to Send Chippewa01 a Private Message Click Here to Email Chippewa01 Visit Chippewa01's homepage! Find more posts by Chippewa01 Add Chippewa01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BCBeagles
UKC Forum Member

No, I was giving another scenario....not this one.

Either way, If my dog pokes his head in a bush a rabbit runs out and he goes right on hunting.....he had NO idea that rabbit was there so he DOES NOT deserve credit for that rabbit.

My opinion, NO JUMP points, split strike when you call the dogs to the rabbit......

Chasing a title.....take all the points your rules allow...isn't that what you are saying? I am not giving my dogs anything....here you are giving the dog credit when credit is not to be given.....BUT several will take what is "given" by the rules.....

Again.....good handler+ average dog(one given jumps for head poking in bushes)+rules that can be interpreted by the "good handler" = UKC paper champ....

Seen more than a few of them...no clarification needed.

I will keep pleasure running.....Just interjecting my opinion.

Last edited by BCBeagles on 08-25-2014 at 06:15 PM

Old Post 08-25-2014 06:12 PM
Chippewa01
UKC Forum Member

Other than catching their dog when instructed a handler should have zero involment in the judging of a performance pack cast...

Ch HbCh Buckeye Bear of the Brush
PcH GrHbCh Chippewa Bear Cub
GrHbCh Chippewa Little Rachel
HbCh Chippewa King's Shooting Star

http://www.chippewa-valley-kennels.webs.com/

Old Post 08-25-2014 06:52 PM
Chippewa01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chippewa01 Click here to Send Chippewa01 a Private Message Click Here to Email Chippewa01 Visit Chippewa01's homepage! Find more posts by Chippewa01 Add Chippewa01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BCBeagles
UKC Forum Member

So the judge or judges have to see this scenario and/or take the "good handlers" word?

Old Post 08-25-2014 06:59 PM
jhw
UKC Forum Member

This is performance pack not hound and hunter the handler has nothing to do with any scoring scenarios. An impartial judge with no dog in the cast does all the scoring. Next time try to know what the hell you're talking about before you post on here.

Old Post 08-25-2014 07:03 PM
jhw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhw Click here to Send jhw a Private Message Click Here to Email jhw Find more posts by jhw Add jhw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CBLICKENSTAFF
UKC Forum Member

The handler has nothing to do with performance pack except when the judge ask them to handle the dogs.

Old Post 08-25-2014 07:06 PM
CBLICKENSTAFF is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CBLICKENSTAFF Click here to Send CBLICKENSTAFF a Private Message Click Here to Email CBLICKENSTAFF Find more posts by CBLICKENSTAFF Add CBLICKENSTAFF to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midvalleybeagle
UKC Forum Member

Post wasn't meant to start a war. Was meant to share a situation which we would judged and scored incorrectly but with the new knowledge now know the correct way to score it.

Like I said wasn't trying to start WW3 Thought the input would come in handy as I'm sure it's happen before.

And everyone wants to know what if a rabbit hops out in front of the pack well 're read the scenario it is one dog left in winners pack. Obviously if a rabbit hops out in front of the pack theirs no way to tell what dog produced it.

MICHAEL TOBERY
JENNIFER TOBERY
MICHAEL TOBERY JR
CHASE TOBERY
KAYLYNN TOBERY

Last edited by midvalleybeagle on 08-25-2014 at 07:22 PM

Old Post 08-25-2014 07:20 PM
BCBeagles
UKC Forum Member

Hey grafton....easy.....I have supported UKC for years.....

Taking offense means....well anyway....you know.

I am explaining my opinion....you can agree or disagree...I did not curse nor mention a name.

***** WHAT is the about WE SCORED....now only a JUDGE CAN SCORE THIS according to the panel above????******

So who scores this....did the Judge see the head pop rabbit...if not then why is it open for discussion??

If the handler said...ole billy just jumped that there rabbit...who takes the card IF the handler has no input as you all stated?

Did the judge see the rabbit with the rest of the cast or just ole billy's handler and he pointed it out to the Judge??

Man can't ask questions or state an opinion without people getting all fussy.....lol.

I thought these hunts were fellowship amongst beagle brethren???

Last edited by BCBeagles on 08-25-2014 at 07:29 PM

Old Post 08-25-2014 07:27 PM
midvalleybeagle
UKC Forum Member

No Jim it is simply a judge issue in performance pack no handler involvement what so ever.

MICHAEL TOBERY
JENNIFER TOBERY
MICHAEL TOBERY JR
CHASE TOBERY
KAYLYNN TOBERY

Old Post 08-25-2014 07:29 PM
BCBeagles
UKC Forum Member

Ok, your scenario said WE scored it?

Meaning more than one person...if two judges...then that is a WE...if one. Most opinions are void of meaning to this question.

I am sure my paper champs comments is most of the anger I retract to say I have seen a few legitimate champs in the UKC format......a few......others well....they may get offended at times by opinions.

Old Post 08-25-2014 07:34 PM
big matt t.
UKC Forum Member

Jim do u think coal miner was a paper champ............??? Lol!!

"We Hual With Owens Boxes"
GRCH GRHBCH White River Coal Miner
GRCH GRHBCH Weedeater Fire River Blessing (Gena)
GRCH GRHBCH Litttle Italy's Gracie Girl
Regestered National Ch. GRHBCH Hartleyville Grimm Ripper
HBCH Big T's Leo's Coal Trash
GRHBCH Huttons Big T's Rip Fuel
(And Coming Soon)
Whiteriver Awhole Lotta Trouble
Big T's Lucy In The Sky
Big T's Can't Get Right
Big T's Pretty Girl Zoey
( Temperary Home Of )
GRHBCH Buck Lake Lola (RIP OLD GIRL)

Old Post 08-25-2014 07:42 PM
big matt t. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for big matt t. Click here to Send big matt t. a Private Message Click Here to Email big matt t. Find more posts by big matt t. Add big matt t. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote