UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting alone. Who does it
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ssgied
My hunting buddy and myself had a deal if scheduling worked we went together but if not we went alone. He recently hunted alone on a Friday night and passed away on Saturday morning. Now I hunt mostly alone.

Sorry to hear that.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-03-2020 02:51 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I'm 72 yrs old and always hunt alone. I wish I had someone to hunt with but I don't. I have to be extra careful. I went with another guy once and I though how care free we were. But it is what it is. I still like it. I take extra equipment for emergencies such as extra battery for my truck, hand and body warmers, extra batteries and lights, first aid, extra cell phone battery, and more. where can I find the Life 360 ap?

Old Post 02-03-2020 06:21 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I am 60, and hunt alone about 98% of the time. A few years ago, I plunged into hole in a swamp over my head with waders on. My wife really doesn't want me out there, but she doesn't tell me to stop either.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 02-03-2020 06:25 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by croatankid
I'm 72 yrs old and always hunt alone. I wish I had someone to hunt with but I don't. I have to be extra careful. I went with another guy once and I though how care free we were. But it is what it is. I still like it. I take extra equipment for emergencies such as extra battery for my truck, hand and body warmers, extra batteries and lights, first aid, extra cell phone battery, and more. where can I find the Life 360 ap?

Just Google Life360. On your phone. App comes right up

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 02-03-2020 06:32 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fletch
UKC Forum Member

I hunted with two good friends for about 15 years, each of us had 1 dog. We got along and had a great time hunting together. They both passed away about 8 years ago, Mr Copeland was 92 and Clyde was in his 80’s. I’m now 73 and haven’t coon hunted in several years, to hard to find someone that hunts the same. Not as much fun hunting alone and to many things can go wrong by yourself in the dark. I now hunt with my son who has bear and cat dogs. I tell my son when he was young he wanted to tag along with me and wasn’t much help, now I’m old and want to tag along with him and I’m not much help. We have made full circle.

Old Post 02-03-2020 09:30 PM
fletch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fletch Click here to Send fletch a Private Message Find more posts by fletch Add fletch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

I am 73 and hunt almost all the time alone. Just me and this old hound, really enjoy it that way.

Old Post 02-03-2020 11:48 PM
Lynn Tubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Tubbs Click here to Send Lynn Tubbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Tubbs Find more posts by Lynn Tubbs Add Lynn Tubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

I am 73 and hunt almost all the time alone. Just me and this old hound, really enjoy it that way.

Old Post 02-03-2020 11:48 PM
Lynn Tubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Tubbs Click here to Send Lynn Tubbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Tubbs Find more posts by Lynn Tubbs Add Lynn Tubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

thanks Harley

Old Post 02-04-2020 12:51 AM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Guys

I have always enjoyed the nights I spent hunting by myself, BUT my recent accident has sure opened my eyes. Just how many close calls have we ALL had hunting by ourselves? More than I can count, or even want to think about. If you break s leg, twist s knee or even get a bad ankle sprain, you are NOT going to walk very far by yourself. A minor injury can have serious effects if you are by yourself and can not get help. Having Mr. Macho as your side kick can get you into trouble and fast, I FIRED Mr. Macho after my accident, I WILL start listening to others warnings and tips for being safer alone or in company. Little things can make a BIG difference when you need them the most, a cell phone and first aid kit are essentials no matter how long or where you hunt. Most accidents happen close to home, so prepare yourselves at ALL TIMES. My high dollar cell phone that stayed at home all the time, WILL be on my person in the future. Some accidents are life threatening and timely care is essential for survival, NEVER think that it can not happen to you, IT CAN. Dave

Old Post 02-04-2020 01:23 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Guys

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I have always enjoyed the nights I spent hunting by myself, BUT my recent accident has sure opened my eyes. Just how many close calls have we ALL had hunting by ourselves? More than I can count, or even want to think about. If you break s leg, twist s knee or even get a bad ankle sprain, you are NOT going to walk very far by yourself. A minor injury can have serious effects if you are by yourself and can not get help. Having Mr. Macho as your side kick can get you into trouble and fast, I FIRED Mr. Macho after my accident, I WILL start listening to others warnings and tips for being safer alone or in company. Little things can make a BIG difference when you need them the most, a cell phone and first aid kit are essentials no matter how long or where you hunt. Most accidents happen close to home, so prepare yourselves at ALL TIMES. My high dollar cell phone that stayed at home all the time, WILL be on my person in the future. Some accidents are life threatening and timely care is essential for survival, NEVER think that it can not happen to you, IT CAN. Dave

That is something I seriously worry about, and many places I go have no cell service.

Old Post 02-04-2020 02:38 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Well I'm 37, I do hunt quite a bit alone. But I tell my wife where I'm going. She's never worried about me in the woods, more about the late night/ early morning driving. I can say though I'm not getting around as easy this year as I did last year. I had back surgery over the summer. I'm mostly back to normal now just certain movements like slipping on a wet stick that's under wet leaves bothers me. I did notice I lost a lot of muscle tone and strength in my legs. But I'm having fun!!!!!

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 02-04-2020 03:32 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

I'm 35 and hunt alone except for the occasional blue moon when the wife tags along.

I don't mind hunting alone but I really just don't know anyone here. When I visit my family in Oklahoma they usually tag along but that's a long drive.

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Old Post 02-04-2020 05:45 AM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Hillenbrand
UKC Forum Member

Hunting alone

I will be 70 in a few months and hunt alone. Training pups is my favorite part of hunting. In order to get the results I want, I have to run the pup alone. Therefore I hunt alone. It take a little longer to get to the tree but I still enjoy every tree bark along the way. I used to rush back to the truck so I could make another drop. Now I take my time and usually sit in the truck and enjoy the night sounds for a while before heading out. Spring is coming and I have a new batch of pups ready to go!

Old Post 02-04-2020 12:42 PM
Ed Hillenbrand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Hillenbrand Click here to Send Ed Hillenbrand a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Hillenbrand Find more posts by Ed Hillenbrand Add Ed Hillenbrand to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

It's harder to find a good hunting buddy than a good coon dog. I have one of the best.

Old Post 02-04-2020 03:48 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

My friend , I know you love to hunt and hunt a lot by yourself, BUT please do not let ego or Mr, Macho cause you to make bad decisions. DO NOT take any chances no matter what EGO or MR, MACHO may tell your body you can do. Plan your hunts carefully and let your wife or buddy know exactly where you will be hunting and how long you should be, better SAFE than SORRY. The muscle loss you mentioned just might fail you at the wrong time. Be safe and happy hunting. Dave

Old Post 02-04-2020 05:16 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Eric DePue

quote:
My friend , I know you love to hunt and hunt a lot by yourself, BUT please do not let ego or Mr, Macho cause you to make bad decisions. DO NOT take any chances no matter what EGO or MR, MACHO may tell your body you can do. Plan your hunts carefully and let your wife or buddy know exactly where you will be hunting and how long you should be, better SAFE than SORRY. The muscle loss you mentioned just might fail you at the wrong time. Be safe and happy hunting. Dave

Thanks Mr. Dave. I do tell more than 1 person usually where I'll be. And I have a good buddy that knows my spots. Even though I normally hunt public ground I have an area I normally hunt there. And I usually only venture to different areas when a buddy is with me.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 02-04-2020 06:20 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

One thing for sure about this thread- it has encouraged me! I'm 46 and wonder about how many years Ill enjoy coon hunting. Hearing about many of you in your 70's and still getting it done is fantastic! Keep it up.

Old Post 02-04-2020 06:27 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

One thing for sure about this thread- it has encouraged me! I'm 46 and wonder about how many years Ill enjoy coon hunting. Hearing about many of you in your 70's and still getting it done is fantastic! Keep it up.

Old Post 02-04-2020 06:27 PM
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Hunting Alone

In the past I've always enjoyed hunting with others more than hunting alone and only hunted alone when the dog that i was training required it. I'll be 71 in April and have been forced to change my hunting style due to health and the lack of young hunters wanting to go, thus now I hunt alone 99% of the time. I find it more relaxing hunting one dog alone than when i used to hunt at least three and had company.
My wife doesn't worry as long as I have my cell phone programmed with the locator on so she can collect the Life Insurance.

Old Post 02-04-2020 07:14 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

55, hunt 99% of the time by myself, occasionaly i have a friend who will ride along and be a b-boy, b there when I leave and b there when i get back, thats a big help riding around and picking me up. I wouldn’t mind hunting with someone if I could find someone that was interested in training dogs, not much on just willy nilly hunting with no purpose in mind. Nothing wrong with hunting that way, I am just always working a dog to be able to take them to a hunt. I definitely need to mix my dog up more than I do to have him ready for a hunt. Out in the woods with just me and a dog is my therapy, I embrace the alone time!

Old Post 02-04-2020 09:31 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dean

For all of us that like and enjoy those nights alone, just you and your dog/s, there is just some kind of freedom we feel that's hard to express. I always felt more attuned to the woods and my dog or dogs when hunting by myself. I must confess that I never actually hunted by myself, GOD was and is always there for me and all of you guys. We just did not have another human with us, but GOD makes the best hunting partner one could ever have. Dave

Old Post 02-04-2020 11:38 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dean

quote:
For all of us that like and enjoy those nights alone, just you and your dog/s, there is just some kind of freedom we feel that's hard to express. I always felt more attuned to the woods and my dog or dogs when hunting by myself. I must confess that I never actually hunted by myself, GOD was and is always there for me and all of you guys. We just did not have another human with us, but GOD makes the best hunting partner one could ever have. Dave

Well said!

Old Post 02-05-2020 01:49 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Alone

On a side note about hunting alone I think it's also good to have another set of eyes and ears from another good houndsman to evaluate a dog,it's easy to see the same thing nite after nite and overlook the obvious especially when hunting one dog like myself, but that other houndsman is hard to come by these days....

Old Post 02-05-2020 02:07 AM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cotton1927

I really think you can better evaluate a dog when it's just you and the dog hunting alone. Human nature is being selfish wanting your dog to do it all when you have competition, it's when you and the dog are alone that you can see and hear the bad and the good things the dog does. Tracking ability, striking ability, locating ability, accuracy, all of the things that matter changes for most dogs when hunted by themselves, some for the better and some for the worst. Seeing these things without input from another hunter can help us to work on any issues you do not like. Second opinions help when you can't find any faults yourself or think the dog is something special. Dave

Old Post 02-05-2020 02:27 AM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Alone

Nice thought Dave, in reality it doesn't happen that way we all have some sort of kennel blindness when you say you don't that's when you need another set of eyes,those that say they don't have that affliction, I wouldn't seek there opinion anyway.....

Old Post 02-05-2020 02:57 AM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote