UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dogs Feet.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Dogs Feet.

Have a question for the show dog people. What should a naturally good foot on a dog look like? Over the years I have seen conversation about the cat foot. Up on their toes? Some say they can't run with those type of feet and others say the run like the wind. LOL

The point I am trying to get to is this. I have a litter here 12 weeks old. Raised in the same conditions other pups have been raised in. The are on concrete and also a fair size grass area to run in. All of them have real short nails. I know the concrete keeps the nails short on some of my other hounds. But not this short.

Is there a foot shape that keeps the nails short over a different foot shape.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-19-2019 03:05 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

It’s hot I got gravel in my pens my dogs are digging their nails are really short.

Tar

Old Post 08-19-2019 03:18 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

It is hot here and my dogs must be stupid and digging the concrete. LOL

Old Post 08-19-2019 04:32 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barnescreek
UKC Forum Member

I’m not a show person but here’s my 2 cents. It’s been my experience that a cat footed dog will run circles around a duck footed dog. Both in raw speed and in durability of the foot/pad over several consecutive days of hard hunting. My dogs nails are the size of #2 pencils and stay worn down to nubs. I’ve seen dogs with long Freddy Krueger nails be a lot more sore after a long day/night of hunting, than a dog with a foot that has seen consistent hunting and therefore conditioned to it. This applies to big game hunting and putting several miles on a dog everyday for a couple weeks straight. For people that coonhunt, tree a couple 500 yards, load up and go home, 3-4 nights a week, foot structure probably makes no difference.

To try to help answer your question, you said raised in same conditions as other pups. Are these pups out of the same dogs or bloodline as the previous pups? Maybe some lines have harder toenails and would therefore wear slower than a softer nail? I’m not sure if dogs nails get softer after soaking in water like ours do, but if you’ve had a lot of wet weather in recent weeks, would that make any difference?

Old Post 08-19-2019 05:08 PM
barnescreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barnescreek Click here to Send barnescreek a Private Message Find more posts by barnescreek Add barnescreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 08-19-2019 06:40 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Plywood bred not hardwood bred ! Bruce can you do the bench show girl tiddley trot lol ?

Tar

Old Post 08-19-2019 06:50 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar, I was just curious. For some reason these pups are keeping their nails short. Digging the concrete, different structure or shape of their feet. I don't know, probably don't care. As long at they don't start bleeding.

The pup this morning when I put her on this work bench seemed to like it. Might be some special times we can share together. I can experiment on what type of music makes her stand better on the bench. Then sell some bench show music, guaranteed to make them stand tall with their tails up. I am thinking I might start with some bag pipe music. By the time the dog has it figured out what it is. I will have her solid as a rock on the bench.

Old Post 08-19-2019 08:15 PM
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Mr barnescreek

I'm not sure where you live/hunt but here in MN I like a foot that is shaped like a coyote's foot. The center 2 toes a little longer then the outside toes. Here a cat foot will wear the meat off the toes running in crusty snow were the coyote foot gives the hound more spring and a little more endurance for the long runs we get sometimes here. I also have a friend in Utah that was a Government hunter after cats and bears and he found that the cat footed hounds couldn't get around in the rocks and ruff ground without coming up lame. He too liked a hound with a foot that could grab the ground better then a tight cat foot.

I'm sure the cat foot works fine in different parts of the country, and if I had only 2 choices, cat vs "duck/coon" footed, I would take the cat but my number 1 choice is a foot like I said above-

As far as wearing the nails down? I have 2 that I have never had to trim their nails and they are kennel the same as those that I do and come from the same family genes?? (and their feet are like those of a coyotes)

Old Post 08-19-2019 08:46 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I don’t know Bruce some people got long flowing hair while their brothers are bald. They will wear them down on concrete if they are active some dogs just lay around so they won’t wear them off.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 08-19-2019 at 09:13 PM

Old Post 08-19-2019 09:00 PM
barnescreek
UKC Forum Member

The foot on the top left of the comparison has been the best for me in the mountains of NC.

Old Post 08-19-2019 10:17 PM
barnescreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barnescreek Click here to Send barnescreek a Private Message Find more posts by barnescreek Add barnescreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Geminite
UKC Forum Member

Yes the length of a nail can and will affect the structure of the foot. Short kept nails are a good thing.

Home of:
CH Crystal Springs Dear Darla
Crystal Creeks Dizzy Spell

Proud Handler of:
GRNITECH CH PR Jamie's Trashy Big John
NITECH PR Lifeways Fire Cracker

In Fond Memory of:
NITECH CH PR Jamie's Trashy Hightech Redneck
GRNITECH GRCH PR Morgan's Losses Hills Dawn
GRCH PR Wilkinson's Jebb
NITECH CH PR Gimme Three Steps Mister

Old Post 08-20-2019 04:24 PM
Geminite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Geminite Click here to Send Geminite a Private Message Click Here to Email Geminite Visit Geminite's homepage! Find more posts by Geminite Add Geminite to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Another thing that is important is hair coverage on the feet especially if you run on snow covered ground much. Obviously, most coon hunters that live in the North, depending on how far North, won't be running coon much for at least 3-4 mos. of the year. I like my Snowshoe Hare hounds to have big strong legs, big rounded feet, no splayed toes and well covered with hair.

Wouldn't care if every hound I ever own from this day forward was built just like this guy. He floats on bare ground and slides through the snow while pursuing the Snowshoe Hare! I really enjoy him.

Last edited by DL NH on 08-21-2019 at 03:39 PM

Old Post 08-20-2019 06:29 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ruttinbuck
UKC Forum Member

dogs feet

I f your dog fell through ice to thin for you to walk on you might wish it had a little more toenail to help it out.

Old Post 08-21-2019 03:05 AM
ruttinbuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ruttinbuck Click here to Send ruttinbuck a Private Message Click Here to Email ruttinbuck Find more posts by ruttinbuck Add ruttinbuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Another thing that is important is hair coverage on the feet especially if you run on snow covered ground much. Obviously, most coon hunters that live in the North, depending on how far North, won't be running coon much for at least 3-4 mos. of the year. I like my Snowshoe Hare hounds to have big strong legs, big rounded feet, no splayed toes and well covered with hair.

Wouldn't care if every hound I ever own from this day forward was built just like this guy. He floats on bare ground and slides through the snow while pursuing the Snowshoe Hare! I really enjoy him.

That’s a good looking hare hound...is he purebred beagle?

Old Post 08-21-2019 02:22 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Yes. He is AKC Reg. but measures out of standard (15") @ 17". I like a big hare hound height wise so he was a perfect fit for me.

Old Post 08-21-2019 03:10 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barnescreek
UKC Forum Member

Yea that’s a good looking dog.

Old Post 08-21-2019 03:54 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar you hit the nail on the head with the short nails. The pups found a spot out in their play pen where I had put some gravel along a fence several years ago. The grass had grown over it and I had forgot about it. I saw them laying out there yesterday and walked out to the spot. They had dug into the gravel and seemed to be having fun doing it. I have their normal 1/4 acre pen and they have another 4 acre area. If a pup can find something to get into no matter how much room you give them to play. They will.
Several months ago we had plenty of squirrels. Now they seem to have left the area. Just when I need on to sick the pups on.

Old Post 08-22-2019 01:12 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce you know I like a challenge. A freind gave me a female will be 3 next month she had never been hunted she hates cats. Showed her her first coon yesterday at noon she ran and treed it with a huge mouth. She is out of bone and a hardwood Cornell female she is about 45 pounds of cat footed twisted steel I think this fall I will really enjoy her. I will get Corey to post a picture she is a looker.

I put lime rock in my kennels don’t have Oder or flea and tick problems I soak them with spray about twice a year and I wet them a spot to lay when it is hot.

Tar

Old Post 08-22-2019 01:32 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I like them Bone Dogs.

Old Post 08-22-2019 02:16 PM
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey

I like them Bone Dogs.

Bone throws nice hounds

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 08-22-2019 02:59 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Nice looking hound Mr. Bruce! 1 or 2 yrs. old maybe? Looks young.

Old Post 08-22-2019 03:00 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

about 2 1/2

Old Post 08-22-2019 04:37 PM