UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Has anybody heard the rumor?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Has anybody heard the rumor?

That the pet food industry is buying the carcuses of euthanized animals off of the shelters in the big cities and the drug that they use is effecting our dogs !!!

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-26-2018 02:35 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jawscardodger
UKC Forum Member

Hear the rumor .Don't know if its true

Old Post 05-26-2018 03:01 PM
jawscardodger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jawscardodger Click here to Send jawscardodger a Private Message Click Here to Email jawscardodger Find more posts by jawscardodger Add jawscardodger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jawscardodger
UKC Forum Member

From petmd.com

Urban legends are one thing. The fact that the FDA seriously studied the levels and origins and clinical significance of barbiturates in pet foods fifteen years ago is quite another. Slow to the party, I’ve only just come to appreciate the veracity of all those presumptive urban legends about pets, rendering plants, and pet food.

Sure, I figured. There are bad actors at the margins of every industry. So I always believed in the salacious rumors. As in: Dr. X and Shelter Y in backwoods Z sell surgically extracted gonads and dead pets to the local rendering plant for inclusion in pet foods! Is your pet eating ovaries, testicles, and drug-tainted dead pets?

It probably happens, I figured. I just never took it too seriously as a pervasive issue. Yet over the years it’s been a significant enough issue for the FDA to think it a worthwhile area of study with respect to barbiturates.

And here, included in a 2004 report to Congress on the rendering industry, is how it happens at the level of the independent rendering plant:

These plants (estimated by NRA at 165 in the United States and Canada) usually collect material from other sites using specially designed trucks. They pick up and process fat and bone trimmings, inedible meat scraps, blood, feathers, and dead animals from meat and poultry slaughterhouses and processors (usually smaller ones without their own rendering operations), farms, ranches, feedlots, animal shelters, restaurants, butchers, and markets. As a result, the majority of independents are likely to be handling "mixed species." Almost all of the resulting ingredients are destined for nonhuman consumption (e.g., animal feeds, industrial products). The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates animal feed ingredients, but its continuous presence in rendering plants, or in feed mills that buy rendered ingredients, is not a legal requirement.

(My bolding, btw.)

So how has this continued to pass under our radar? Those generic, unspecified proteins and fats included in your pet's food? They may well — legally — include canine and feline bodies. This may seem shocking to us in 2010, but this is business as ususal for the rendering industry.

If it’s always been done, why wring our hands over it now?

There are several reasons:

As a society, we no longer think it’s acceptable for our pets to eat other pets (especially of the same species). Our animal companions are too close to us, emotionally, to consider them cannibalistic.
Then there’s this emergent view: Those poor shelter animals! After what we’ve done to them, this is just pure insult.
Two words: "Mad cow." We now understand that some disease transmission is possible via rendered animal protein, heavily processed though it may be.
Back to the barbiturates:

Ten or so years ago there was this nagging question in companion animal veterinary medicine: Why do our barbiturates (back then employed as often for anesthesia or sedation as for euthanasia) seem to be losing their punch?

Then came a slew of articles about destroyed shelter pets getting tossed into the rendering plant and ending up in pet foods. The dirty secret was out of the bag. Yes, some shelters were all too happy to save money by having the carcasses carted off instead of having the expense of incinerating the animal remains. Never mind that most shelter pets were being euthanized via lethal injection using a barbiturate.

Which is when the vet community put two and two together and formed a hypothesis: that pets ingesting low levels of barbiturates in pet foods over a prolonged period of time might actually become resistant to these drugs. Could that be the answer to the diminished potency of barbiturates?

Though it was only an anecdotal finding, this diminishing drug potency issue, the FDA thought it merited a significant look-see, so they devised an experiment to 1) find out how much barbiturate was in pet food, and 2) whether dog and cat carcasses were actually comprising a significant percentage of what ends up in pet food.

Here’s what the report concluded:

The scientists purchased dog food as part of two surveys, one in 1998 and the second in 2000. They found some samples contained pentobarbital...

Because pentobarbital is used to euthanize dogs and cats at animal shelters, finding pentobarbital in rendered feed ingredients could suggest that the pets were rendered and used in pet food.

CVM scientists, as part of their investigation, developed a test to detect dog and cat DNA in the protein of the dog food. All samples from the most recent dog food survey (2000) that tested positive for pentobarbital, as well as a subset of samples that tested negative, were examined for the presence of remains derived from dogs or cats. The results demonstrated a complete absence of material that would have been derived from euthanized dogs or cats. The sensitivity of this method is 0.005% on a weight/weight basis; that is, the method can detect a minimum of 5 pounds of rendered remains in 50 tons of finished feed. Presently, it is assumed that the pentobarbital residues are entering pet foods from euthanized, rendered cattle or even horses.

For starters, I've never heard of a cow being euthanized via barbiturate — except one downer cow in vet school that was later used for anatomy class. The large quantities of barbiturates required make it an expensive and impractical option for cattle — especially for those destined to enter the pet food supply. Same goes for horses. Because, if you’ll recall, we used to slaughter horses in the U.S. So why would you sell your beloved horse to a rendering plant after the expense of a private veterinary euthanasia?

I’m not saying the FDA’s findings are wrong, just highly suspect in their ultimate conclusions. Something here doesn’t quite add up. As if the FDA is working a little too hard to talk us animal-activist busybodies down off this uncomfortable ledge we've collectively perched ourselves on.

Yet ultimately, this issue isn’t about whether there’s at least five pounds of protein in 50 tons of feed. Nor is it that the levels of barbiturates, as the FDA explains, are insufficient to render a drug less potent. Rather, it’s about the fact that any pet remains might be in our pets’ food. And that, the FDA concedes, is not up for discussion. This we already know.

Dr. Patty Khuly

Pic of the day: "Scared cat is really scared" by dat'

< Previous PostNext Post >

Old Post 05-26-2018 03:12 PM
jawscardodger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jawscardodger Click here to Send jawscardodger a Private Message Click Here to Email jawscardodger Find more posts by jawscardodger Add jawscardodger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

The reason why I wrote this is I take really good care of my dogs. Since I bought this last bag of feed they picked at their feed both acted lathargic like they did not feel good both usually when you dump their feed out they almost got it ate before it hits the pan I mean they even had slobber on their mouth like they was sick to their stomach. I went and got a new bag and in two days they were back to normal. I feed ( v) and it ain't cheap.

Tar

Old Post 05-26-2018 03:37 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

There's a documentary on Netflix that will open your eyes . I think it's called Pet Fooled or Pet Fueled.

Old Post 05-26-2018 04:10 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Once upon a time years ago I read an article that talked about who makes up the FDA...it was mentioned that many who make up the FDA are retired pharmaceutical CEO’s on account they know best and have much experience...

My theoretical mind got me wandering and wondering around rather quickly...these guys are tied in tight with the pharmaceutical industry...these guys are biased and no matter what...what they do is going to be in best interest for selling drugs and profitability for that industry...

I have tried hard in recent years to find out who makes up the FDA...but have been unsuccessful...

So if it is still the same way...then this is what I will say about those CEO’S...

Them being there is like having a fox to guard the hen house...

Old Post 05-26-2018 08:29 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

So what type of dog feed is good ??

What feed can be trusted ??

FUELED BY SHOWTIME DOG FOOD !!!

Old Post 05-26-2018 08:39 PM
Night cry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night cry Click here to Send Night cry a Private Message Click Here to Email Night cry Find more posts by Night cry Add Night cry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremiah roller
UKC Forum Member

Raw and thats it !

Old Post 05-26-2018 09:14 PM
jeremiah roller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jeremiah roller Click here to Send jeremiah roller a Private Message Click Here to Email jeremiah roller Find more posts by jeremiah roller Add jeremiah roller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

Now that's an expensive diet...lol ..... what do u feed as a raw diet ?

Old Post 05-26-2018 09:17 PM
Night cry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night cry Click here to Send Night cry a Private Message Click Here to Email Night cry Find more posts by Night cry Add Night cry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I was talking directly to my vet just two days ago and i asked him where the carcuses euthanized pets go. He said to a local crematory. I told him I heard many were being sold to pet food companies. He asked me where I got my info as that was very new info just being releades. He stated some of the large kill centers are doing this and the drugs being used are showing up in health dogs from the food. I personally know I trust this vet but dont kniw the source of his info

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 05-26-2018 at 10:03 PM

Old Post 05-26-2018 09:53 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremiah roller
UKC Forum Member

Yes it is but worth it to have a healthy dog! 2lbs of chicken i can of mackerel 2 eggs and liver 3 times a week. Can tell a huge difference in him since i have switched cost around $5 a day per dog but i hit alot of hunts and spend a bunch money pushing in the hunts so it well worth it to have healthy dog that feels as good as he can !

Old Post 05-26-2018 11:02 PM
jeremiah roller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jeremiah roller Click here to Send jeremiah roller a Private Message Click Here to Email jeremiah roller Find more posts by jeremiah roller Add jeremiah roller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

So he only gets fed 3x a week ??

Old Post 05-26-2018 11:04 PM
JiM
UKC Forum Member

PETA kills tens of thousands of dogs and cats. I can easily see PETA doing this because they are against animal ownership of any kind and by selling euthanized carcasses to dog food company's, they can literally kill two dogs with one stone.

The companies that produced this poisoned dog food are known and have been publicised so it is now up purchasers to boycott those companies into bankruptcy.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 05-26-2018 11:04 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

It is NOT illegal to use euthanized animals for MEAT MEAL in dog food. Ever hear the statement "Dog eat Dog?" If it states s certain meat,then they are held to that( however that is)... such as Chicken, beef, lamb..etc...WalMart had a huge recall on several brands of dog food due to high levels of the euthanasia drug. Any other way it got in there?
Get on "Dog Food Advisor" and sign up for recall alerts. You might be surprised

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 05-26-2018 11:20 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremiah roller
UKC Forum Member

Lol sorry no sir just liver 3 times a week. The resst every day.

Old Post 05-26-2018 11:35 PM
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

Can you give me a break down of how you mis your raw diet and how much ingredients you add ?? As well as how much you feed each dog ?? I'd like to give it a try.....what differences have you seen ??

Old Post 05-26-2018 11:58 PM
tjll
UKC Forum Member

raw food

I thought dogs could not digest raw eggs properly

Old Post 05-27-2018 12:01 AM
tjll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tjll Click here to Send tjll a Private Message Click Here to Email tjll Find more posts by tjll Add tjll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

$150 a month? Wow! Glad I just feed a chiteater.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 05-27-2018 12:13 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jeremiah roller
Yes it is but worth it to have a healthy dog! 2lbs of chicken i can of mackerel 2 eggs and liver 3 times a week. Can tell a huge difference in him since i have switched cost around $5 a day per dog but i hit alot of hunts and spend a bunch money pushing in the hunts so it well worth it to have healthy dog that feels as good as he can !

At this time mine is $1.50 a day, but I got a place I get damaged cans of mackerel and we have a ton of chickens so the eggs do not factor in. Chicken is $4.15 for a 10lb bag and mine does not eat but 1.5lb a day. I cant get my dog to eat liver.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 05-27-2018 12:25 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremiah roller
UKC Forum Member

Im not sayimg its for everyone by any means ! Wh3n im spending $300-$6500 on entry fess $5 a day is nothing if it goves your dog a edge and keeps it healthy. He has more energy 5h3n ever and is hunt 5-7 nights a,week muscle tone better then ever. Kust acts like he feels alot better over all.

Old Post 05-27-2018 12:39 AM
jeremiah roller
UKC Forum Member

I havent found a place to get the damage mackerel yet and i feed fresh chicken not saying it better at all just the way i do it. He loves liver but as you know you cant feed the a whole lot of it.

Old Post 05-27-2018 12:42 AM
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

You feed whole chicken quarters or boneless?

Old Post 05-27-2018 12:44 AM
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

Jeremiah, you're right on. It's well worth it if you're getting the performance. Cheap compared to entry fees, gas, etc. gotta feed top quality feed and good supplements if running one hard, raw is just another way to do it. Keep up the good work.

Lone Pine North

Old Post 05-27-2018 12:45 AM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremiah roller
UKC Forum Member

Thanks lone pine jb

I feed quarters they need the bone in.

Old Post 05-27-2018 12:55 AM
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

Ok what's the portions you feed daily ?

Old Post 05-27-2018 12:56 AM