UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Too Hot To Hunt ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hoosier
UKC Forum Member

Too Hot To Hunt ?

Summer arrived in full force this week here in the Midwest. Temps in the 90's and heat indexes over 100. So the dog stayed in the kennel.

As I had done many times before I let her out to run around the yard while I cleaned her kennel, etc. She had always just stayed close before. Sure enough, I look around and she was GONE hunting I guess. I figured she'll be back when she gets hot or done messing around. An hour later I open the door and hear that distinct locate. I grab the lead strap and head towards her. She is twice as far as I thought she was (1/2 mile deep) treed. I get into her and quickly put her on the lead for fear she would get too hot....she'd been there 20 minutes.

I lead her to the field, petted her and looked at my phone. 7:20 PM, 92 degrees and heat index of 100. She didn't even seem to notice that.

Here is the big question. She had the coon sitting in a fork about 25 feet up. Why would a coon be moving 3 hours before dark when it's 90+ degrees?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-19-2018 12:51 PM
Hoosier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Click here to Send Hoosier a Private Message Click Here to Email Hoosier Find more posts by Hoosier Add Hoosier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PJ SPANGLER
UKC Forum Member

i have a lot of pictures from my trail cams of coons lately moving before dark . some are going to water some are coming in to feed

Old Post 06-19-2018 12:57 PM
PJ SPANGLER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PJ SPANGLER Click here to Send PJ SPANGLER a Private Message Click Here to Email PJ SPANGLER Find more posts by PJ SPANGLER Add PJ SPANGLER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Because they get hungry.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 06-19-2018 01:39 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd_Miller
UKC Forum Member

Just excuses not to hunt......JMO

Old Post 06-19-2018 02:23 PM
Todd_Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd_Miller Click here to Send Todd_Miller a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd_Miller Find more posts by Todd_Miller Add Todd_Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

I think they move early when it's hot to get water and cool off. It would be hard to stay in a day all day with that kinda heat. JMO

Old Post 06-19-2018 02:32 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Todd_Miller
Just excuses not to hunt......JMO
feel like temp 85 at midnight last night here in ark. way to hot for me.lol

Old Post 06-19-2018 03:43 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

Temps in the upper 80's to 90 at 10:00pm when I get to turn loose.

I still hunt twice a week but not as long. At the most, 2 turn outs. Depends on how long it takes to tree the first one.

Old Post 06-19-2018 04:22 PM
BGathright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BGathright Click here to Send BGathright a Private Message Click Here to Email BGathright Find more posts by BGathright Add BGathright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Hoosier, your going to have to put the Garmin on her next time you clean pens. We started putting it on Maf when he gets to run loose in the yard because all to often when he has just been laying in the shade you turn around and he is gone off treeing a daytime coon.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-19-2018 05:19 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier
UKC Forum Member

Check That!

Mafia,

A step ahead of you. She WILL get it every time she steps out of the kennel from now on. She knows when that is on and I guarantee you, she won't leave the yard. She's smart...she knows. She also knows what each function of that collar means too. Just sayin...... LOL

Old Post 06-19-2018 05:32 PM
Hoosier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Click here to Send Hoosier a Private Message Click Here to Email Hoosier Find more posts by Hoosier Add Hoosier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JKumberg
UKC Forum Member

A dog that is in good physical condition can take a lot of heat.

My Feist squirrel dog trees coons almost every time we go squirrel hunting June through July. He has treed as many as 7 in one hunting trip. I believe most of them are just laying up on the outside due to heat and no air movement in den and he can tree off body scent.

My guess is if you hunted those good hounds much during the summer in the daytime you would be shocked at the number of daytime coons they would tree.

Old Post 06-19-2018 05:45 PM
JKumberg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JKumberg Click here to Send JKumberg a Private Message Click Here to Email JKumberg Find more posts by JKumberg Add JKumberg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Coons will move in the daytime when it’s hot. They will come out of dens to get water or to lay out in the breeze.

Old Post 06-19-2018 05:53 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier
UKC Forum Member

Let's GO!

Okay who is up for the challenge? Who is up for getting home from work, grab the dogs and hunting from 5PM until dark? Might need some better bug spray. The skeeters didn't bother me last night on my walk to my dog but the deer flies liked to have packed me away!!

Old Post 06-19-2018 06:10 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
Coons will move in the daytime when it’s hot. They will come out of dens to get water or to lay out in the breeze.

They do that and alot of times move really late again. Several of our late rounds have been better than the early here lately.
Mafia takes off during the day light hours year round whenever the mood strikes him. I guess he thinks if we won't take him he will just take himself hunting lol.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-19-2018 06:38 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Yeah n the summer when it’s real hot. I’ll get off work and do what has to be done around the house and be in bed by 9-9:30 and get up about 1-1:30 and go hunt and get back home intime to shower and go to work. If I don’t have to work there’s been plenty of times I’m still cutting loose at 8 in the morning.

Old Post 06-19-2018 06:46 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

It's starting to warm up here now but I hunted three nights last week low 30's and white frost

Usually only a few nights here all summer it don't get down into the 60's if you wait til after midnight

Last edited by Donnie Stevens on 06-19-2018 at 07:08 PM

Old Post 06-19-2018 07:01 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Yep they need to drink water, while they are doing that they will roam around a bit. Also after the kittens start getting up and out its hard for her to keep them gathered up, you start really seeing them in the daytime after the kittens.

Its been hot here for a month, heat index around 105. I'm still going some. I hunt around water and try to keep them away from thick stuff where they cant get any air.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-19-2018 07:05 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
It's starting to warm up here now but I hunted three nights last week low 30's and white frost

Usually only a few nights here all summer it don't get down into the 60's if you wait til after midnight

yep its been in low 30s hear all week a little dusting of snow last night !! good hunting !!

Old Post 06-19-2018 07:11 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I have been having pretty decent luck hunting from about 3 am till daylight the last couple of weeks.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-19-2018 07:28 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mitch aters
New UKC Forum Member

Ive been hunting my pup about an hour before dark the passed two weeks. Im seeing coons alot an hour to 30 minutes before sunset on the ditchbanks while im planting beans

Old Post 06-19-2018 08:38 PM
mitch aters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mitch aters Click here to Send mitch aters a Private Message Click Here to Email mitch aters Find more posts by mitch aters Add mitch aters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

feels like 80 at 10 . couch potato time.lol i always felt in you have one in training it does them more harm than good in extreamly hot weather.

Old Post 06-20-2018 12:54 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kimber2378
UKC Forum Member

It has been hot here the past couple days. So hot the dogs have been dang near dragging me to to the river to jump in the water to cool off on our walks. On the way to the gym today I saw a momma coon and two kits crossing the road and that was at about 11:30 am and the temp was getting close to 90 by then and was really humid. I'm guessing they move when ever they feel the need to.

Old Post 06-20-2018 01:31 AM
Kimber2378 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kimber2378 Click here to Send Kimber2378 a Private Message Find more posts by Kimber2378 Add Kimber2378 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

Last summer I saw mama and 3 kittens coming out of the corn at 2:30 in The afternoon it was 103 without the humidity that day and they had already come across a 500 yard trek of corn and had another 500 plus to make it to the nearest water !! Daytime movement has become common here in the heat and early morning !

Old Post 06-20-2018 09:46 AM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote