UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > South Texas coon hunting?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

South Texas coon hunting?

Gang,

anyone have any insight into coon hunting in TX and in particular the Corpus Christi area? My son is being transferred there for work and most likely Momma and I will be heading that way in a couple years to be near him and the new family at least part of the year. Doesn't look like coon country to me from what I've seen!!

I don't intend to quit coon hunting, but maybe I need to become a bobcat hunter as well?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-23-2020 03:08 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I was raised not far from there you won’t like it. Used to wear a slicker coat to keep the mosquitoes off. Drive inland and get on a lease to hunt.

Tar

Old Post 06-23-2020 04:45 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stxcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

I know of some coon hunters within an hour of corpus and around Victoria area. Theres several of us a couple hours up the coast

Old Post 06-23-2020 05:33 PM
stxcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stxcoonhunter Click here to Send stxcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email stxcoonhunter Find more posts by stxcoonhunter Add stxcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the insight gents!

Old Post 06-23-2020 05:53 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

Lolita Tx

not too far from there.. in the 80's I sold a female to a fellow at Lolita, went down to hunt and deliver her. hunted 2 nights was not too bad if you can get past the humidity. In 93 I was working around Bay City /Rosenberg area and went down to hunt with Harry.. he still had that good old female. we took a hunt and it was still humid plus the hogs were everywhere.

Old Post 06-23-2020 11:51 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

I can only imagine spending time there in the winter months.. I've lived in the deep south for several years and sure don't miss summers in that kind of country. The dream is we will live South in winter and North in summer.. That is the dream..

appreciate the comments

Old Post 06-24-2020 02:09 PM
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Larry you will hunt high grass and mesquite trees with thorns around them, good thing is you can shoot them out with a pistol, bad thing is rattlers are bad and winter is very short.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 06-26-2020 11:39 AM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I go back once a year to buy seafood for Christmas dinner do some fishing and see family and that enough for me.

Tar

Old Post 06-26-2020 03:05 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

I'm going to make a trip down next week helping the Kids settle in.. Be a good first hand summer experience LOL - tough country for a fat yankee!!

Old Post 06-26-2020 03:34 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

I spent two years working from Kingsville, to Robstown, to Agua Dulce to Corpus Christi. It is the most miserable part of the United States west of the Mississippi. I feel bad for him.

Old Post 06-26-2020 11:07 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

The mosquitoes and fire ants and heat would kill you out in the rice fields I worked and hunted in as a kid.

Tar

Old Post 06-26-2020 11:24 PM
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Wow. Thinking maybe my coon dog becomes my fishing buddy down yonder. Sure appreciate the insight gents.

Old Post 06-27-2020 02:40 PM
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

I hate the humidity but helps a dog to trail, dew most every night and wet next morning. I cat hunted just west of there near Three Rivers with Shorty Gorham a couple of weeks ago. Lots of coons and bobcats in that area but you will have to get permission to hunt the ranches as it is privately owned.
I was raised SW of San Antonio about 50 miles. Lots of coons there as well.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 06-30-2020 04:40 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

There are a lot of good lakes North of there, get you a little cabin and go see the kids on weekends.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 07-04-2020 01:33 AM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the feed back guys. Been down here a couple days. The sea food and ocean are fantastic. Coon hunting looks rough!

I can see a bay boat in my future lol.

Old Post 07-04-2020 04:33 AM
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

Rockport TX

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hall
Thanks for all the feed back guys. Been down here a couple days. The sea food and ocean are fantastic. Coon hunting looks rough!

I can see a bay boat in my future lol.

Make a trip to the Boiling Pot at Rockport TX

Old Post 07-04-2020 12:43 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stxcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

So does this finally prove our dogs r better than the northern dogs 😁

Old Post 07-04-2020 03:21 PM
stxcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stxcoonhunter Click here to Send stxcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email stxcoonhunter Find more posts by stxcoonhunter Add stxcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by stxcoonhunter

Well leastways any human that hunts down there or here where I live really , really , really loves to coonhunt lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-04-2020 03:26 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by stxcoonhunter

Just proves the handlers aren't real bright

Old Post 07-04-2020 03:44 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

No body mentioned the snakes.

Old Post 07-04-2020 05:58 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Roy Grant
No body mentioned the snakes.

Everything but the rattle snakes are in the trees down there.

Tar

Old Post 07-04-2020 06:10 PM
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Actually staying in Rockport. Nice community but too many people for me. Going to spend some time out in the country tomorrow. Will look up the Boiling Pot.

Old Post 07-05-2020 06:02 AM
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

And the Kings Inn at Riveria.
Actually the hunting down there is excellent for coons and cats but you need to go west about 30 to 50 miles. Yes, there are a few snakes...
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 07-05-2020 04:37 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

The Boiling Pot was excellent. My wife and I are gonna come back for a week over Labor Day and spend some time looking over the area just west of here.

Old Post 07-05-2020 10:57 PM
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hall
The Boiling Pot was excellent. My wife and I are gonna come back for a week over Labor Day and spend some time looking over the area just west of here.

Sure glad you enjoyed it.. we made a few trips there from Rosenberg when working there. still remember it!

Old Post 07-06-2020 01:18 PM