UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog won’t eat
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

Dog won’t eat

I have a young female, almost 2yrs Old. About 6 months ago we found out she had Lymes. We treated her for that. She had relapsed Twice since. This last time We treated her for Lymes again and she hadn’t gotten any better. She had went down hill. Used to be almost fat and now she looks like a walking skeleton.. She has lost this much weight in just a little over a month. She had been wormed with Safe Guard dog wormer and the last time with a pill from the vet.
Some days she walks like she can’t move and the next she will be up on her box barking at anything and everything. She eats a bite here and there. Have tried to feed her all different kinds of table food but she won’t eat that either.
The vet visits don’t seem to be working and are breaking me every time I turn around. Any help or ideas Is appreciated?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-16-2019 04:34 AM
BluetickHound22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BluetickHound22 Click here to Send BluetickHound22 a Private Message Click Here to Email BluetickHound22 Find more posts by BluetickHound22 Add BluetickHound22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog

Try cream and raw eggs mixed, maybe raw hamburger meat. Hope this helps. Dave

Old Post 03-16-2019 04:41 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Boil chicken, save the broth and soak some dog food in it, debone the chicken and mix in.

Old Post 03-16-2019 05:04 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaze P.
Banned

Raw chicken may do the trick.

Old Post 03-16-2019 05:38 AM
Blaze P. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze P. Click here to Send Blaze P. a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze P. Add Blaze P. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

WalMart carries canned Mackeral for about $1.60 a 15 ounce can. That would be my first choice. Cheapest weight you can put on a dog.
Google "satin balls" for the very best weight gain but not the cheapest. Never known a dog to turn down a satin ball. Don't deviate from the recipe.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 03-16-2019 01:09 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog won’t eat

quote:
Originally posted by BluetickHound22
I have a young female, almost 2yrs Old. About 6 months ago we found out she had Lymes. We treated her for that. She had relapsed Twice since. This last time We treated her for Lymes again and she hadn’t gotten any better. She had went down hill. Used to be almost fat and now she looks like a walking skeleton.. She has lost this much weight in just a little over a month. She had been wormed with Safe Guard dog wormer and the last time with a pill from the vet.
Some days she walks like she can’t move and the next she will be up on her box barking at anything and everything. She eats a bite here and there. Have tried to feed her all different kinds of table food but she won’t eat that either.
The vet visits don’t seem to be working and are breaking me every time I turn around. Any help or ideas Is appreciated?

COTTAGE CHEESE AND OR BUTTERMILK, GIVE HER ALL SHE WANTS, WILL NOT GIVE HER DIAHRIA, PUT HER ON DOXY FOR A LONG TIME

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 03-16-2019 01:17 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedSealKennels
UKC Forum Member

I had one stopped eating after she had a litter of pups once. Took her to the vet and they said to give her some canned diabetic cat food. She wolfed it right down. Then I just fed her canned dog food for a little while and slowly switched her back to dry food.

Old Post 03-16-2019 01:18 PM
RedSealKennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedSealKennels Click here to Send RedSealKennels a Private Message Click Here to Email RedSealKennels Find more posts by RedSealKennels Add RedSealKennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

Canned mackerel

If you have a Dollar Tree store in your area it is $1.00 per can.

Old Post 03-16-2019 01:52 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Purina Cat chow

I had a dog that lost his appetite, was very sick, would not eat. I tried everything. Then one day, leading him past the cat bowl, he dove into it. Dry purina cat chow. I let him have all he would eat. He lived on the stuff for a month, then got back to his normal dog food.
You could buy a small bag of it at the store, just to try it. I'd try canned cat food too, some of that stuff stinks to high heaven, so its hard for a dog to pass up.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 03-16-2019 02:16 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SHORN
UKC Forum Member

vet tests?

What all has the vet checked for? What tests has he ran?

Old Post 03-16-2019 02:35 PM
SHORN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SHORN Click here to Send SHORN a Private Message Find more posts by SHORN Add SHORN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

Female

I tried a few of these things last night. They’ve done blood work and just said she had a bad case of Lymes. I believe she had something more.
Went to check on her this morning and she was Curled up in her box dead.
I believe she is 20months old just shy of 2 years.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. She was just too far gone

Last edited by BluetickHound22 on 03-16-2019 at 03:13 PM

Old Post 03-16-2019 03:01 PM
BluetickHound22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BluetickHound22 Click here to Send BluetickHound22 a Private Message Click Here to Email BluetickHound22 Find more posts by BluetickHound22 Add BluetickHound22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Sorry for your loss

Sorry for your loss. Sometimes this is the way it goes with lymes. Bad stuff.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 03-16-2019 04:26 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

Sorry to hear that. That blows. Wonder if her kidneys failed

Old Post 03-16-2019 04:27 PM
RatDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RatDog Click here to Send RatDog a Private Message Find more posts by RatDog Add RatDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for the sympathy fellas. Lymes is bad for sure. Didn’t know she had Lymes until after we got her.

Old Post 03-16-2019 07:24 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Sorry about your dog.
Wish you had posted sooner I know that your dog had lyme but sometimes vets get a tunnel vision and don't look outside the box. I would have recommended you had an x-ray done to look for other gut issues.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 03-16-2019 11:24 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

Vets

The vets around here are all for the money lol
The very first time she went to the vet she was X-rayed. But I think she had something else other than Lymes. Thanks

Old Post 03-16-2019 11:40 PM
Pat Bizich
Banned

Sounds like her kidneys quit. I have experienced it twice .Once with a 2 year old and one 8 year old. They continue eating but drink lots of water .Eventually the appetite goes but they may still pick at their feed and if you give them something like meat or table scraps they will gobble it down. Soon they even reject that. They continue losing weight until eventually like you mentioned skin and bones.
The lymes can damage the kidneys.This whole process begins about 4 months or so before eventual death. Most times you will miss the signs until it is already in advanced stage .First thing you notice is excessive drinking and urination but still eating well. Then starting to pick at food. Then the weight loss a little at first then at the end pretty rapid about 3 weeks before death. If this was what you saw then it was probably kidneys.

That said I know also from experience young dogs chew on stuff and if they swallow it and they get an abdominal obstruction they will not eat. They act sick . Most cases as soon as it passes they will be back to normal. But if it stays stuck in their gut they can die from one.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 03-17-2019 at 12:24 AM

Old Post 03-17-2019 12:13 AM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Bizich
Sounds like her kidneys quit. I have experienced it twice .Once with a 2 year old and one 8 year old. They continue eating but drink lots of water .Eventually the appetite goes but they may still pick at their feed and if you give them something like meat or table scraps they will gobble it down. Soon they even reject that. They continue losing weight until eventually like you mentioned skin and bones.
The lymes can damage the kidneys.This whole process begins about 4 months or so before eventual death. Most times you will miss the signs until it is already in advanced stage .First thing you notice is excessive drinking and urination but still eating well. Then starting to pick at food. Then the weight loss a little at first then at the end pretty rapid about 3 weeks before death. If this was what you saw then it was probably kidneys.

What you just said is right on the money. I believe your right

Old Post 03-17-2019 12:24 AM
SHORN
UKC Forum Member

Sorry for your loss.
I had one do the same thing last summer. Sadly with the same results he was 9 years old. His kidneys were shutting down to the point the vet said there was no bringing them back to working. I have had dogs with lymes in the past but last year it seemed like it was really bad.

Old Post 03-17-2019 03:29 PM
SHORN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SHORN Click here to Send SHORN a Private Message Find more posts by SHORN Add SHORN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Ticks were bad here where I live in Wv.

Old Post 03-17-2019 08:46 PM
David R. Smith
UKC Forum Member

Ticks

Sorry for your loss. Soresto collars have been by far the best flea and tick control I’ve used.

Old Post 03-19-2019 07:11 PM
David R. Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David R. Smith Click here to Send David R. Smith a Private Message Click Here to Email David R. Smith Find more posts by David R. Smith Add David R. Smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

Flea collars

Unfortunately she didn’t have one when we first got her. That’s what I use on all my dogs. Not as expensive as losing a dog or paying a vet bill JMO

Old Post 03-19-2019 07:18 PM
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

live feed

I saw some of it that night, but didn't have time to watch it all. Now I can't find it even on chkc's fb site. Anyone have a link to it ?

Old Post 03-20-2019 12:08 AM
RatDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RatDog Click here to Send RatDog a Private Message Find more posts by RatDog Add RatDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

feed

Thanks SH

Old Post 03-20-2019 12:54 AM