UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > do you hunt pregnant females
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
john garr
UKC Forum Member

do you hunt pregnant females

how long do you hunt your pregnant female before you put them up?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-20-2007 02:23 AM
john garr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john garr Click here to Send john garr a Private Message Click Here to Email john garr Find more posts by john garr Add john garr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

You can hunt them up till the last two weeks usually.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 12-20-2007 02:27 AM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
earthgirl1975
UKC Forum Member

ive always heard it good to hunt them till the end like Hobo said. Kind of like how they tell a pregnant woman to do moderate walking at the end of pregnancy.

GrCh 'PR' Deadly Petey (Co-Owner) PKC UKC and AKC registered (walker)

Gone but not forgotten
GrCh NtCh 'PR' Coldnose's Whole Lotta Rosie

Old Post 12-20-2007 02:31 AM
earthgirl1975 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for earthgirl1975 Click here to Send earthgirl1975 a Private Message Click Here to Email earthgirl1975 Find more posts by earthgirl1975 Add earthgirl1975 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redwood Hounds
UKC Forum Member

I was wondering the same. I've been hunting my little female this past week, and she's about 3 weeks into it. She's not really showing yet, but when she does I'll probably put her up, or maybe just let her go to trees on a leash. She's been starting the tree climbing, and her sister jumps and I'd hate for her to get landed on or fall.

REDWOOD'S TREEING WALKER COONHOUNDS
& LOUISIANA CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOGS
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/

NITECH CGRCH FCH GRCH 'PR' Redwood's All Night Aspen
(2014 #1 UKC Top Ten All-Breed Conformation Treeing Walker)
NITECH CCH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH 'PR' Redwood's Wild Gamble

Old Post 12-20-2007 02:37 AM
Redwood Hounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redwood Hounds Click here to Send Redwood Hounds a Private Message Click Here to Email Redwood Hounds Visit Redwood Hounds's homepage! Find more posts by Redwood Hounds Add Redwood Hounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

When it is hot I stop hunting them when they start showing. This time of year I hunt them up to about the last two weeks.

Old Post 12-20-2007 03:18 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ben Crocker
UKC Forum Member

Female

I hunt them like Hobo said, lay them up about two weeks prior to having pups.

Old Post 12-20-2007 04:41 AM
Ben Crocker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ben Crocker Click here to Send Ben Crocker a Private Message Click Here to Email Ben Crocker Find more posts by Ben Crocker Add Ben Crocker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brogy

I hunted mine up until about 10 days before her due date. She never got big or bagged up so that wasn't an issue. I shortened her hunts closer to her due date. The last night I hunted her she looked like a complete idiot and that's when I knew it was time to put her up.

Old Post 12-20-2007 04:48 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ky_walker_man_x
UKC Forum Member

my old tippie dog got out 2 days before she had her last pups went behind my house and treed an old sow and 3 young ones.
i was taken the trash out late and herd her or she my have treed all night and it was in july that couldnt have been good .
the pups was all fine but she stands stil on the wood no jumping.

she has 26 days to go now ive been taken her once a week but 2 nights ago her 2 year old pup flip was struck and treed just in hearing and i hit my break lights as i was geting out of the truck and i could see she had ben standing there and just going that ant her she,ll get on in there when you cut her out .
i think shes telling me its time for her to stay home ???what do you all think

'ELLIOTTS NONTIPICUL KY TIPPIE'

Old Post 12-20-2007 06:11 AM
ky_walker_man_x is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ky_walker_man_x Click here to Send ky_walker_man_x a Private Message Click Here to Email ky_walker_man_x Find more posts by ky_walker_man_x Add ky_walker_man_x to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kenny Gates
UKC Forum Member

Ditto...except in the summer when rattlesnakes are out.

KG

Old Post 12-20-2007 06:36 AM
Kenny Gates is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kenny Gates Click here to Send Kenny Gates a Private Message Click Here to Email Kenny Gates Visit Kenny Gates's homepage! Find more posts by Kenny Gates Add Kenny Gates to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

I believe it was 1981 Glen Singleton won the Va. State on a Sat. night, and his female whelped seven days later. In the pictures she looked like she could have layed down and had a boat load of pups.

Old Post 12-20-2007 03:06 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john garr
UKC Forum Member

thanks for the info. just had my female bred.

Old Post 12-21-2007 02:41 AM
john garr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john garr Click here to Send john garr a Private Message Click Here to Email john garr Find more posts by john garr Add john garr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
truly
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by dean jamerson
I believe it was 1981 Glen Singleton won the Va. State on a Sat. night, and his female whelped seven days later. In the pictures she looked like she could have layed down and had a boat load of pups.

My old truth dog brought home some hardware from heritage days in texas. she was as big as a house in the picture. that litter was 10 pups.two grand nites, 3 nites out of that litter! every dog in that litter hunted! i personally think that the pups have more natural hunt if the mother is hunted during pregnancy. the new research on epi-genome inheritance backs this up i think.

Old Post 12-21-2007 04:04 AM
truly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for truly Click here to Send truly a Private Message Find more posts by truly Add truly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J. Hill
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by truly
My old truth dog brought home some hardware from heritage days in texas. she was as big as a house in the picture. that litter was 10 pups.two grand nites, 3 nites out of that litter! every dog in that litter hunted! i personally think that the pups have more natural hunt if the mother is hunted during pregnancy. the new research on epi-genome inheritance backs this up i think.
so if u hunt a female while she is prego it makes the pups better now i know u are truly stupid

I Hunt Feeder Buckets But Up Here We Call Them 40 Acre Corn Fields!!
Nitech Flat Creek Mickey
Toppers Dads Little Joule II
Nitech Tree Talken Topper
Pr Dads Little Joule R.I.P 1/1/07
Proud Owner Of A Union Paint Shop Local 61

Old Post 12-21-2007 04:19 AM
J. Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J. Hill Click here to Send J. Hill a Private Message Click Here to Email J. Hill Find more posts by J. Hill Add J. Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
truly
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by J. Hill
so if u hunt a female while she is prego it makes the pups better now i know u are truly stupid

jim, the genome is way over your head , so i wont even try to explain the epi-genome[sp?] to you but to those who have advanced cognitive skills, this is going to be very interesting stuff for us in the future. basically it works like this- behind the very complex structure of the genome is an even more complex structure that appears to be able to hand down traits to the offspring based on events that have happened to the parents or grandparents [or great grand etc.]. As an example, if an individual battled hunger and malnutrition much of its life, their offspring would be much more likely to have food metabolizing capabilities greater than that of offspring of those who didnt battle hunger and malnutrition. meaning that what happened in their lifetime influenced genetically how their offspring turn out. meaning that dogs who hunt are more likely to reproduce offspring who hunt ,not because of genetics but because of EPI-GENETICS. and if this is true it is likely that females that hunt during pregnancy could reproduce better natural hunting traits than those who dont hunt during pregnancy.
I believe that the godfather mr wick himself believes that first litters are more likely to turn out than successive litters [ i believe he wrote that once]. many others share this belief. i have always believed that if this is true it is because the female is more likely to be hunted during pregnancy when she is prego the first time than each successsive time.
But you would have to believe in science for this to work, and this work is in its beginning stages, so the verdict is not in yet. I for one cant wait for the results of epigenetics to be better understood .

p.s. jim- when you resort to character assassination you have lost the debate.

Old Post 12-21-2007 04:44 AM
truly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for truly Click here to Send truly a Private Message Find more posts by truly Add truly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
truly
Banned

Epigenetic regulation of genes acquired during early development is inherited not only during cell division (mitotic inheritance), but it also can be passed on from one generation to the next (meiotic inheritance). (For review see: Whitelaw, N.C., & Whitelaw, E., Hum. Mol. Genet. 15 (Spec. No 2): R131-R137, 2006.) Nevertheless, there is no evidence that enhanced human parental mental activity in adulthood increases the mental acuity of their children through the inheritance of acquired epigenetic traits. It remains to be seen if additional epigenetic research elevates Lamarck's stature in the field of evolution.

FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN THIS SUBJECT; google epigenetics and check out the nova/pbs site. they show identical twin mice that appear totally different because of epigenetics.

the first half of this paragraph backs my thoughts , the second half contradicts!

Old Post 12-21-2007 05:03 AM
truly
Banned

Q: With the discovery of epigenetics, it seems that behavior can influence the activation and deactivation of the genetic code that can even be passed on to the next generation. Does this mean it is possible that human culture can influence the evolutionary process?
Kenneth Humphrey, El Paso, Texas

A: Mammals whose offspring are born rather than hatched from an egg (marsupial or placental mammals) have imprinted genes. Imprinted genes are expressed from only one parental copy in a parent-of-origin dependent manner (Jirtle, R.L., & Weidman, J.R., Am. Sci. 95: 143-149, 2007). The parent-specific non-functional copy is silenced epigenetically. Moreover, imprinting can be altered after birth by diet (Waterland, R.A., et al., Hum. Mol. Genet. 15: 705-716, 2006). It has been postulated that disruption of genomic imprinting may contribute to mammalian speciation (Vrana, P.B., Nat. Genet. 20: 362-365, 1998). Thus, environmental factors including diet could be involved in the evolution of placental mammals by altering the repertoire of imprinted genes; however, there is presently no direct evidence of this occurring.

JIM- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO READ THIS. IT WILL MAKE YOUR HEAD HURT . ALL OTHERS DO ATTEMPT TO READ THIS. IT WILL MAKE ALL OF OUR HEADS HURT, BUT IS WORTH THE TROUBLE!!

Old Post 12-21-2007 05:09 AM
Loren Simpson
UKC Forum Member

I've got one bred and the pups are due the middle of feb. I'll hunt her untill season is over.
I think the better shape the bitch is in the easier it's on her to have the pups.

#573-392-7119 cell 573-286-0431
Home of bunch of lowbred culls;
Saline Creek Smokin Sheba (DualGrCh Osage Stinger Joe x DualGrCh Schenker's Smokin Cindy)
Saline Creek Reba II (GrCh North Rivers Hard Cola (albert, medicine man bred) x Saline Creek Reba (Sheba's sister)
Saline Creek Beau (Millers Midnight Harry, (Eads bred) x Beauty, Myers/ Sting bred) co owner Will Simpson
GrNiteCh Chenoweths Cheyenne
NiteCh Party Queen (GrNiteCh Duelin Dan x GrNiteCh Ruby 2)
Mandy (littermate to Thunderstick & Lil Ann)
Saline Creek Jenna Jameson (GrNiteCh Kansas Hayes x GrNiteCh Dixie Gem) co owners Scott Rodden, Kyle Sears

Last edited by Loren Simpson on 12-21-2007 at 07:23 PM

Old Post 12-21-2007 05:36 AM
Loren Simpson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loren Simpson Click here to Send Loren Simpson a Private Message Click Here to Email Loren Simpson Find more posts by Loren Simpson Add Loren Simpson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coondogedog
UKC Forum Member

Ditto what Loren said.

Old Post 12-21-2007 07:02 PM
coondogedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondogedog Click here to Send coondogedog a Private Message Click Here to Email coondogedog Find more posts by coondogedog Add coondogedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RRILEY
UKC Forum Member

I personally believe it doesnt hurt them a bit to hunt them right up til they have pups. I had a female a few years back, took her to a hunt, won NT CH division with her, got home and had a big litter of pups the same night. Pups and female were all fine. Alot of times I think we all think and worry to much about things. Look at it like this, if these dogs were wild, they wouldnt lay around doing nothing the last month or two weeks of their pregnancy, they are going to go do what they do. It wont hurt them a lick to hunt them, if the female doesnt feel right, she wont hunt, I promise.

Old Post 12-21-2007 07:22 PM
RRILEY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RRILEY Click here to Send RRILEY a Private Message Click Here to Email RRILEY Find more posts by RRILEY Add RRILEY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
earthgirl1975
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Loren Simpson
I've got one bred and the pups are due the middle of feb. I'll hunt her untill season is over.
I think the better shape the better shape the bitch is in the easier it's on her to have the pups.

this is very true, Loren.

GrCh 'PR' Deadly Petey (Co-Owner) PKC UKC and AKC registered (walker)

Gone but not forgotten
GrCh NtCh 'PR' Coldnose's Whole Lotta Rosie

Old Post 12-21-2007 07:24 PM
earthgirl1975 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for earthgirl1975 Click here to Send earthgirl1975 a Private Message Click Here to Email earthgirl1975 Find more posts by earthgirl1975 Add earthgirl1975 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WattsFlatsRedbo
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by HOBO
You can hunt them up till the last two weeks usually.

Same here for 2 reasons. 1. A mother thats in shape is usually healther and ready to go through the exausting ordeal of having pups. 2. It does'nt take has long to get the mother back into good hunting shape after she's off the pups.

Home#(814)664-9694
Cell#(716)338-7372
Home of:
(R.I.P.) GRNITECH CH 'PR' WATTS FLATS FATTY PATTY
(2006 Overall Southern Redbone Champion)
(GrNtCh winner and High scoring dog Sat night with 1100+/75-)
(2005 Qualified for UKC World)
(2006 Qualified for UKC World)
(2006 Autumn Oaks GrNtCh cast winner)
(PKC Money Winner)

GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' WATTS FLATS JUMP'EM UP JEB HTX-3 (DNA-P)
( Out of Patty and Lash's Rowdy)
(2008 Qualified for UKC World)
(1st Place GrNt and Overall High-Scoring Dog at the 2009 PA Governers Cup)
(1st place NtCh and Overall High-Scoring Dog at the 2008 NYS Battle of the Breeds Hunt)
(1st place Reg. Ny State Spring Championship)
(3rd place Reg. 2008 National Redbone Days, Fri night)
(2nd place Reg. BBOA Zone hunt)
(PKC Money Winner)

(R.I.P.) GRNITECH 'PR' WATTS FLATS MUDDY CREEK MAGGIE HTX-2 (DNA-P)
(Out of Jeb and Hiedi)
(2013 Qualified for World Championship)
(2015 Qualified for World Championship)
(2013 Ohio Gov Cup- NiteCh winner and Overall opposite sex winner)
(2014 National Redbone Days High-scoring female and 3rd place overall Thurs night)
(PKC Money Winner)

+ Upcoming:
'PR' WATTS FLATS STATELINE SALLY
(Maggie X Moon)

Old Post 12-22-2007 12:02 AM
WattsFlatsRedbo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WattsFlatsRedbo Click here to Send WattsFlatsRedbo a Private Message Click Here to Email WattsFlatsRedbo Find more posts by WattsFlatsRedbo Add WattsFlatsRedbo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sousa17
UKC Forum Member

hunt her as much as possible towards teh end. I've heard that the more you hunt themthe better pups they'll have better hunting instincts, could be a wivestail. also it will help with labor.

Old Post 12-22-2007 12:20 AM
Sousa17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sousa17 Click here to Send Sousa17 a Private Message Find more posts by Sousa17 Add Sousa17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Old Post 01-12-2019 01:43 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

It is called Epigenetics

Originally posted by truly_

I copied this and wanted to bring this thread back to the top...
I was searching for the one I posted on epigenetics and came across this one...
I Hunt Feeder Buckets But Up Here We Call Them 40 Acre Corn Fields!!
Nitech Flat Creek Mickey
Toppers Dads Little Joule II
Nitech Tree Talken Topper
Pr Dads Little Joule R.I.P 1/1/07
Proud Owner Of A Union Paint Shop Local 61

Report this post to a moderator_| IP:_Logged

_12-20-2007_10:19 PM______

Old Post 01-12-2019 01:48 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by truly
jim, the genome is way over your head , so i wont even try to explain the epi-genome[sp?] to you but to those who have advanced cognitive skills, this is going to be very interesting stuff for us in the future. basically it works like this- behind the very complex structure of the genome is an even more complex structure that appears to be able to hand down traits to the offspring based on events that have happened to the parents or grandparents [or great grand etc.]. As an example, if an individual battled hunger and malnutrition much of its life, their offspring would be much more likely to have food metabolizing capabilities greater than that of offspring of those who didnt battle hunger and malnutrition. meaning that what happened in their lifetime influenced genetically how their offspring turn out. meaning that dogs who hunt are more likely to reproduce offspring who hunt ,not because of genetics but because of EPI-GENETICS. and if this is true it is likely that females that hunt during pregnancy could reproduce better natural hunting traits than those who dont hunt during pregnancy.
I believe that the godfather mr wick himself believes that first litters are more likely to turn out than successive litters [ i believe he wrote that once]. many others share this belief. i have always believed that if this is true it is because the female is more likely to be hunted during pregnancy when she is prego the first time than each successsive time.
But you would have to believe in science for this to work, and this work is in its beginning stages, so the verdict is not in yet. I for one cant wait for the results of epigenetics to be better understood .

p.s. jim- when you resort to character assassination you have lost the debate.

You are truly advanced...great post...

Old Post 01-12-2019 02:05 AM