UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > A Double Dose of Testosterone
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

A Double Dose of Testosterone

I have had a few dogs that seemed to have an extra amount of testosterone on account they look to be in excellent shape at all times and look like well muscled 3 year old hunting dogs at ten years of age...

I have one right now that reminds me of a high powered race horse chopping at the bit to run his race...he is dominant...doesn’t really start trouble but doesn’t mind pushing his weight around...I like his looks, movement and the power about him as well as his hunting ability...but a little too high spirited for my liking...I usually can really like a dog of this type but two things I don’t like about him that causes me not to have him as my favorite...

He doesn’t tolerate puppies or young dogs messing with him...he likes his space which at times can be a problem for me...it took forever to break him from coming up from behind me and putting his teeth on my hand...so he will never sire any pups based on these two issues...

Anyone else gone through similar scenarios?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-25-2019 01:48 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

No but?

If your not going to breed him, then I'd get him cut. I had one cut this year and no regrets. He wasn't breeding material but a nice enough dog. If you had a female in heat on the place he was a real pain, made a lot of noise. He's out there now kenneled next to a female in full heat, not making a sound. It settled him down some in general too.
Money well spent.

Oh what dog feed do you feed? Is it real high protein, if so I'd try maintenance.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 10-25-2019 03:35 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I don't have any like that cause I just won't put up with it. If I can't work a pup with it I probably wont have it long. I don't care for a sissy dog either that can't take some ruffing around. There is a happy medium.

Old Post 10-25-2019 02:09 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for your opinion Darrin...

Pam...as a pup he fit in just fine at about a year old he started maturing and the difference between him and his sibling brothers started to show...I tend to like alpha type dogs that can take care of business but will get along well with minimal intervention...

According to WildWilly’s book I will make a few adjustments on puppy raising and I think things will be better with the next set of pups I will raise...

He is not a growly dog just likes his space...but I absolutely did not like him putting his teeth on me even though it was in a playful manner...according to what I read I was the cause of that behavior...

Old Post 10-25-2019 02:30 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Re: No but?

quote:
Originally posted by jdgher
If your not going to breed him, then I'd get him cut. I had one cut this year and no regrets. He wasn't breeding material but a nice enough dog. If you had a female in heat on the place he was a real pain, made a lot of noise. He's out there now kenneled next to a female in full heat, not making a sound. It settled him down some in general too.
Money well spent.

Oh what dog feed do you feed? Is it real high protein, if so I'd try maintenance.

Serious question what does protein have to do with anything.

Old Post 10-25-2019 04:58 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote