UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Part hounds
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Part hounds

Guess this is for us old-timers, but does anyone else miss the time when you would go hunting and somebody would have a half hound or maybe 3/4 hound and those dogs would tree coon well. With all the health problems we seem to have I would kinda like to have one of those dogs today. Seems like crossbred dogs are healthier. I'm sure some on here have never seen the dog I'm talking about.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-25-2019 12:32 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nick miller
UKC Forum Member

What types of non hounds would be used to mix in?

Old Post 10-25-2019 01:15 AM
nick miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nick miller Click here to Send nick miller a Private Message Click Here to Email nick miller Find more posts by nick miller Add nick miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The larger type Mt cur works pretty good...

There is no doubt mix breeds are healthier than purebreds...they say it is due to genetic diversity...the more inbred a dog is the higher the risk...

Old Post 10-25-2019 01:24 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Saw some that were mixed with airdales, birddogs, and some collie mixed. These dogs probably weren't natural tree dogs but learned it from having game knocked out to them. What we called cur dogs 50 years ago weren't what the cur dog is today. This was in western Oklahoma.

Old Post 10-25-2019 01:55 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

In my early beginnings a cur was another name for a mutt...at least in my neck of the woods and I grew up in south/southeast Texas...

Old Post 10-25-2019 02:04 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Part hounds

As some have stated, there were hound/bird dog crosses, hound / fox hound crosses and some Heinz 57 crosses, along with cur and fiest crosses back in the day. A lot of hound to hound crosses of different hound breeds, some if these crosses were dogs in the foundation stock of all the recognized Hound breeds of today. You can still see throw backs to certain dog breeds like bird dog, fox hound, etc in our dogs of today, at least I can. Dave

Old Post 10-25-2019 04:06 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

I've got some Plott X Mt. Cur crosses that I like. A friend of mine has a Mt. Cur X Walker X Bird dog that is a good little dog. I had a couple of Plott X Feist crosses that were good ones, died of old age here.

Old Post 10-25-2019 03:36 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prime Time 29
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Saw some that were mixed with airdales, birddogs, and some collie mixed. These dogs probably weren't natural tree dogs but learned it from having game knocked out to them. What we called cur dogs 50 years ago weren't what the cur dog is today. This was in western Oklahoma.

My grandpa preached to me for years that a hound crossed on an airedale was the way to go for coon hunting. Said his best dogs growing up were all half and half or 3/4 hound and 1/4 airedale. He laughed at me for pushing purebreds.

He even talked about one purebred airedale that was a nice coon dog.

GRNITECHHOF PKC CHAMPION ‘PR' PRIME TIME OUTLAW JESSE JAMES HTX3
2019 6th Place UKC World Championship
2019 Purina Race National Leader

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!!!
–- Wyatt Earp

People accuse me of being color blind. The truth is I will hunt red ones, blue ones, black and white ones, yellow ones, black and tan ones, or even brindle ones; Just as long as they are English!

Last edited by Prime Time 29 on 10-25-2019 at 04:08 PM

Old Post 10-25-2019 04:06 PM
Prime Time 29 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prime Time 29 Click here to Send Prime Time 29 a Private Message Click Here to Email Prime Time 29 Find more posts by Prime Time 29 Add Prime Time 29 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
I've got some Plott X Mt. Cur crosses that I like. A friend of mine has a Mt. Cur X Walker X Bird dog that is a good little dog. I had a couple of Plott X Feist crosses that were good ones, died of old age here.

X2 on Plott X Mt. Cur crosses...I like them and will breed my dogs that way again...

Old Post 10-25-2019 04:09 PM
mhardy
UKC Forum Member

one of the best coon treers I ever hunted with was half air dale and half hound. ole freck could put them coons up but he could also make a deer change zip codes. just sit down on a log and he would come back in about five minutes and go back to coon hunting..

Old Post 10-25-2019 04:14 PM
mhardy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mhardy Click here to Send mhardy a Private Message Click Here to Email mhardy Find more posts by mhardy Add mhardy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Dad

Had half B&T/German Shepard plus half Redbone/Bull dog back in 50's that treed a lot of coon. Last one was a kill dog deluxe. Then, we got a true pb Bluetick (grade) dog in 1962, that got me hunting Blueticks today. The REAL DEAL that i would love to have back today. Sounded like 'hog squealing' on track, but 1sst long smooth bawl, you could tree him. Bred 4 generations off him as single reg. English before his line ended.

Also, back in '98, took daughter of SR Chief on 31 hr. round trip to Miss. to be bred. Had 1 pup servive to make coon dog. 6 yrs. later, when i dna'd her for SS litter, she wouldn't pass from that stud. Only thing we could figure out was bird dog in next pen must have got her thru kennel fence before we left. He had already died, so couldn't dna to confirm!!! Take care, Ron.

Old Post 10-25-2019 04:47 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Pure Bred..Walkers have ticks, All other breeds have white..just sayin.

Old Post 10-25-2019 05:14 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta slough
UKC Forum Member

Just curious, but where in Mississippi did you get your female bred? You dont need to name anyone, just the town. I can guess the rest.....Thanks,Jr. Steelman

Old Post 10-26-2019 12:42 AM
delta slough is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta slough Find more posts by delta slough Add delta slough to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wadepardue
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Steelman

In 1998 If I had to guess I would probally say Starkville, Ms.

Old Post 10-26-2019 01:01 AM
wadepardue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wadepardue Click here to Send wadepardue a Private Message Click Here to Email wadepardue Find more posts by wadepardue Add wadepardue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

First dog I ever owned was 1/2 English Redtick and 1/2 Lord knows what. Was given to me by our neighbor whose son got me started Coon Hunting. I had heard the Lord knows what part had some redbone mingled in. Little dog would tree anything that climbed and was death on the rats around the farm. Grandma would sneak him in at night and he would sleep with her now and again. Little dog was a meat dog, open on the ground, chop all the way. Medium nosed and a tree dog deluxe. His mom was a direct daughter of Meeks John. When he was just a pup Ed Bates told me he guaranteed he would tree. Ole Ed was spot on!

Tree ole Pete!

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 10-27-2019 10:46 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Cross bred

There's a family in Ohio I think Amish that breeds border collie and plott mix I guarantee you breed a border collie to a good tree dog and a few pups will make meat dogs 25 yr ago a man bred a border collie female that would tree squirrel to his mountain cur male and several pups turned out

Old Post 10-27-2019 11:04 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nick B
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dad

quote:
Originally posted by Rolin Blues
Had half B&T/German Shepard plus half Redbone/Bull dog back in 50's that treed a lot of coon.

I had a half blood hound and what I believe was half German Shepard. I was not a coon hunter at the time but had been enough to recognize a dog that was treed. that dog woke my wife and I up one night with a bark I had never heard from him before. She asked “what is going on”. I said I think he’s treed. She had no clue what I was talking about. I went out to see what the ruckus was about. Sure enough, he had treed a coon right by the house. I told him good boy and went back to bed. My wife thought I was going out there to stop him. Ha ha. He treed several after that.

Last edited by Nick B on 10-28-2019 at 01:35 AM

Old Post 10-27-2019 11:48 PM
Nick B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick B Click here to Send Nick B a Private Message Find more posts by Nick B Add Nick B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skeeter
UKC Forum Member

Back when coon hunting helped pay the bills, the old timers had their own recipes. My granddaddy always told me that a little bit of bull dog always helped. One of the best coon dogs that I ever saw had whiskers like a Airedale and he was the real deal. That was also the time period that they bred to the best coon dog in the neighborhood regardless of color or breed. All they were worried about was making the local fur buyer grin.

Old Post 10-28-2019 01:50 AM
Skeeter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skeeter Click here to Send Skeeter a Private Message Click Here to Email Skeeter Find more posts by Skeeter Add Skeeter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Really thinking about finding an old reproducing walker female and breeding to an airedale. Might be a waste but might work.

Old Post 10-28-2019 01:59 AM
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Airedale’s crossed on hounds works great. There is one line of dogs that won a lot in all registries that when I was a kid in a holler I saw the cross being made on the walker gyp to an Airedale male. From that cross came a super nice Preacher colored gyp that not only was a coon dog but reproducer. From her many many $$$ have been won along with many many titles.

Old Post 10-28-2019 03:13 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

I know of a elkhound / blue Heeler cross that will tree as many coon in a night as the highest powered dog u know of! He don’t tree very hard, but when he parks he has a coon PERIOD .

Old Post 10-28-2019 04:00 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote