UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Rule Change Proposals 2022
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Rule Change Proposals 2022

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
2022 Rule Change Proposals
1. Allow the use of thermal imaging devices, cell
phone cameras, and mirrors as scoring aids.
2. Change and combine rules for Dogs Treeing
but Not Declared Treeing to receive the same
demerit, regardless of how the tree is scored. The
recommendation from the proposal is to minus the
strike points and to not assign any additional tree
points in any circumstance.
3. Change Rule 4(b) to read, Strike points will be minus
if none of the declared struck dogs open within 6
minutes. The 6 minutes is a change from the 8
minutes the rule currently requires.
4. Alter the tree countdown to read that the 2nd tree
position closes after 30 seconds, 3rd tree position
closes after 1 minute.
5. Alter Rule 11(d), taking out the stipulation that
you must hear a struck or treed dog open before
recasting.
6. Add the definition of the “implied scratch rule” to
Section 6.
7. Remove the 1st offense Warning from Rule 2(a) for
handlers not striking their dog on or before the 3rd
bark.
8. Remove the 1st offense Warning from Rule 2(d) for
handlers calling the wrong dog.
9. Put a time limit on handlers recasting their dogs
after pulling them off a scoring situation. Give them
up to one minute to recast their dog, or if other
dog in cast is declared treed, up to one minute to
utilize their option to keep their dog on leash until
the next opportunity to recast arises.
10. In any category, a dog to accrue 200 minus points
(regardless of pending strike/tree points) for
running, treeing, or molesting off game. (Off game
must still be seen)

1. Yes- just common sense to me. I don't own one... but can't see why we wouldn't use them for the best results possible if there is one in the cast.

2. Yes. I've always thought it was goofy having different points for this.

3. Indifferent, don't see it making a huge difference but generally I think 8 minutes is too long- I can't imagine in 8 minutes they are picking up the same track... that's often a new track somewhere else.

4. No. Makes scoring that much more complicated for no real reason. Keep the rules simple.

5. Yes.

6. Yes-ish. The word implied means it is not written or stated. The whole idea of an implied scratch is not ethical in my mind. If any specific offense merits being scratched- that specific rule should clearly state it for each rule.

7 and 8. No. That can be an easy mistake to make early in the hunt. Maybe allow for the warning in the first 5 minutes or something.

9. Yes- I think... need to ponder more.

10. Yes. Mistakes should be minused, not scratched.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-22-2022 02:24 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Re: Rule Change Proposals 2022

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
2022 Rule Change Proposals
1. Allow the use of thermal imaging devices, cell
phone cameras, and mirrors as scoring aids.
2. Change and combine rules for Dogs Treeing
but Not Declared Treeing to receive the same
demerit, regardless of how the tree is scored. The
recommendation from the proposal is to minus the
strike points and to not assign any additional tree
points in any circumstance.
3. Change Rule 4(b) to read, Strike points will be minus
if none of the declared struck dogs open within 6
minutes. The 6 minutes is a change from the 8
minutes the rule currently requires.
4. Alter the tree countdown to read that the 2nd tree
position closes after 30 seconds, 3rd tree position
closes after 1 minute.
5. Alter Rule 11(d), taking out the stipulation that
you must hear a struck or treed dog open before
recasting.
6. Add the definition of the “implied scratch rule” to
Section 6.
7. Remove the 1st offense Warning from Rule 2(a) for
handlers not striking their dog on or before the 3rd
bark.
8. Remove the 1st offense Warning from Rule 2(d) for
handlers calling the wrong dog.
9. Put a time limit on handlers recasting their dogs
after pulling them off a scoring situation. Give them
up to one minute to recast their dog, or if other
dog in cast is declared treed, up to one minute to
utilize their option to keep their dog on leash until
the next opportunity to recast arises.
10. In any category, a dog to accrue 200 minus points
(regardless of pending strike/tree points) for
running, treeing, or molesting off game. (Off game
must still be seen)

1. No sorry. I promise you, 3 dogs treed. 3 handlers will find where the "hotspot" shows. You all say we can use Garmins.. but...You CAN'T use a Garmin to help score, why a thermal? Cell phones or mirrors SHOWS a coon. Those would be ok. Why lump them together?
2. Yes. No- one knows when the dog treed. With the countdown... judges hard enough job would be less taxing.
3. No. All about not letting the dogs work on bad nights. Especially colder nose dogs.
4. No. Promoting "me too" treedogs.
5. No. If another dog is struck in, dog would get less strike if you just waited.
6. Either way. Still be judges call, I think
7. Yes. You know your dog, you are staring at your Garmin, call your dog.
8. No. Hard to prove. Can't use Garmin, so....
9. No. Thick Briars. In a gully. You can't get away like a clear woods. Maybe distance would be better.
10. Yes. They are coonhounds..

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Last edited by harleydan1956 on 07-22-2022 at 07:01 PM

Old Post 07-22-2022 06:55 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

Seems the use of Thermals has garnered a lot of attention. I use one eery time I hunt but that's just me. I think maybe one area of confusion is that you could never score a coon with a thermal. You have to see the coon or eyes. The thermal would just show you where to look. By they way I am hunting a young dog here and it's hot and dry. Last eight trees have had a coon. Three at least of those I would not have found without the thermal.

Old Post 07-22-2022 08:28 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Rule Change Proposals 2022

quote:
Originally posted by harleydan1956
1. No sorry. I promise you, 3 dogs treed. 3 handlers will find where the "hotspot" shows. You all say we can use Garmins.. but...You CAN'T use a Garmin to help score, why a thermal? Cell phones or mirrors SHOWS a coon. Those would be ok. Why lump them together?

I don't think anyone is suggesting you could use the thermal to score. It is suggested that you use it to help find the coon with your bare eyes... and IF you can see the coon like is already the rule, you can score it.

If guys will cheat and pretend they see a coon because of a thermal reading when they can't actually see it.... those guys are going to cheat anyway.

Old Post 07-23-2022 01:13 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ClayBottom11
UKC Forum Member

1. Yes. I don’t own one and never used one. If the dog trees a Coon they should get credit for it. It’s up to each handler if they want that advantage they can buy one.

2. I would say yes just because it would simply things. At the local level this probably isn’t applied accurately very often anyway.

3. No, leave it at 8 minutes

4. No, leave it the way it is.

5. No, doesn’t make sense to bail out dogs that are struck in. They’re either opening and you cut back in OR If they are quiet then just sit tight and let them get minused.

6. Yes

7. No, let the judge ask for a call.

8. Fine either way

9. Yes, 1 or 2 minutes is enough.

10. No, leave as it is.

Old Post 07-23-2022 02:21 PM
ClayBottom11 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ClayBottom11 Click here to Send ClayBottom11 a Private Message Find more posts by ClayBottom11 Add ClayBottom11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tg3375
UKC Forum Member

1. Yes but still have to see the coon and cast agrees.
2. No leave alone/ kind of depends on #10 for off game rule change.
3. Either way 6 or 8 minutes
4. No leave alone. Judges have enough to time and remember already. With this, we are less likely to get to the tree at the end of 3 minutes/ everyone will want to stop and listen for their dog each 30 seconds.
5. Agree as long as I can still wait for that struck dog to open if I wish and if it doesn’t they get a minus. If the last time we heard that struck dog is back .5 miles and I need to lead to there/ no thanks I want to recut now.
6. Agree add the definition
7. No leave alone/ the judge has to ask for a call
8. No leave alone/ some dogs on the first drop especially sound similar.
9. No leave alone/ don’t need another timing thing for judges. Terrain may prohibit from getting very far from tree. Leave it a judge decision(or cast vote) if it is time to recut.
10. Yes agree with change let them hunt they are hounds and can make a mistake- just not twice.

Old Post 07-24-2022 05:04 PM
tg3375 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tg3375 Click here to Send tg3375 a Private Message Click Here to Email tg3375 Find more posts by tg3375 Add tg3375 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dave01
UKC Forum Member

rule change

don't change any rules this time most of the people hunting in hunts hasn't learned the last rule changes yet!!!!!!

Old Post 07-25-2022 08:18 PM
dave01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dave01 Click here to Send dave01 a Private Message Click Here to Email dave01 Find more posts by dave01 Add dave01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tg3375
UKC Forum Member

I would like to add another rule proposal to allow hunt directors to hunt. Hunt director can’t do much and usually requires a panel be formed.

Old Post 07-25-2022 08:48 PM
tg3375 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tg3375 Click here to Send tg3375 a Private Message Click Here to Email tg3375 Find more posts by tg3375 Add tg3375 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dave01
UKC Forum Member

hunt directors

most of them hunt now and get some one else to do paper work!! go back to lic moh

Old Post 07-25-2022 09:01 PM
dave01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dave01 Click here to Send dave01 a Private Message Click Here to Email dave01 Find more posts by dave01 Add dave01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by tg3375
I would like to add another rule proposal to allow hunt directors to hunt. Hunt director can’t do much and usually requires a panel be formed.

Great suggestion. We've been trying to start a local club... this was one of the reasons we did not start with UKC... Go through all the work of organizing a hunt and when three other guys show up you got to sit around a club house location while they go hunt?

I've been to a couple where the actual MOH is hunting a dog... but has his wife listed as the MOH who is not even at the hunt.

Old Post 07-26-2022 12:30 AM
J Gearing
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I would like to add another rule proposal to allow hunt directors to hunt. Hunt director can’t do much and usually requires a panel be fo
rmed.

Should of been a part of the Hunt Director format from the get go. All it would do is be a help to the clubs and have no effect on the hunt. UKC could change this if they had a mind to. On another note. Rule changes coming from a vote of the Breed Associations seems antiquated given the shape of most Breed Associations today.. JMO

Old Post 07-26-2022 08:53 PM
J Gearing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Gearing Click here to Send J Gearing a Private Message Click Here to Email J Gearing Find more posts by J Gearing Add J Gearing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by J Gearing
Should of been a part of the Hunt Director format from the get go. All it would do is be a help to the clubs and have no effect on the hunt. UKC could change this if they had a mind to. On another note. Rule changes coming from a vote of the Breed Associations seems antiquated given the shape of most Breed Associations today.. JMO

Old Post 07-27-2022 01:36 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tg3375
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Allen or Trevor can it still be changed?

Old Post 07-27-2022 06:39 PM
Trevor / UKC
Administrator

Allen and I discussed the Hunt Director changing near the end of the Rule Proposal episode we did on the podcast. Check it out here: https://open.spotify.com/episode/40RiuIgWdlyozaVDDEiPxu

Basically, it has been a proposal the last couple cycles and did not pass. Allen and I discussed it this year and decided it wasn't as much a rule change as it is a UKC policy change. Allen made the change this past year to allow Hunt Directors to hunt in the Hunting Beagle format. He is evaluating that, and it's actually going well. It is trending toward something that gets updated in the new Rulebook. We'll have a better idea after Autumn Oaks and the results of those discussions will be made public.

Old Post 07-28-2022 01:20 PM
Trevor / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trevor / UKC Click here to Send Trevor / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Trevor / UKC Find more posts by Trevor / UKC Add Trevor / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jack Bingham
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Trevor / UKC
Allen and I discussed the Hunt Director changing near the end of the Rule Proposal episode we did on the podcast. Check it out here: https://open.spotify.com/episode/40RiuIgWdlyozaVDDEiPxu

Basically, it has been a proposal the last couple cycles and did not pass. Allen and I discussed it this year and decided it wasn't as much a rule change as it is a UKC policy change. Allen made the change this past year to allow Hunt Directors to hunt in the Hunting Beagle format. He is evaluating that, and it's actually going well. It is trending toward something that gets updated in the new Rulebook. We'll have a better idea after Autumn Oaks and the results of those discussions will be made public.

Everyone I'v asked about agrees let the Hunt director hunt. Half the time it's someone's wife playing hunt director. It's worked for years in the other registry with no issues. Besides you'd have to wait for the other cast to get back in to form a panel.

A screw up on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

HOME OF

GRNitech PKC Platinum CH PR Mosquito Creek Danno's Buggs 2018 American Redbone Champion. 2019 World Champion Female. 2020 PURINA NATIONALS CH.

GRNITE CH Mosquito Creek Hank 2020 top 100

NITE CH SILVER CH Jersey Girl 2020 Top 100

GRNITE CH SILVER CH. Wipeout Small Pox 2020 Top 100

NITECH River Valley Rain

R.I.P.
GRNitech PKC CH GRCH Awesome Mosquito Crk. Lick 2016 World Champion Redbone Female

R.I.P.
DUAL GRAND PR ANDREWS MOSQUITO CREEK GO MAN SAM DNA-P

R.I.P.
GRNITECH PR Thunder creek Squeller 2cast wins NRCA. 4 cast wins AKC qualified for AKC 2009,2010,2011 world hunt. Qualified for 2008,2009 and 2010 UKC worlds. World Finalist at the 2010 UKC Worlds. Money won in PKC

R.I.P. NITECH PR Faith's Image ( 3-UKC 1st) cast win at NRCA 6TH AT ARCA Money won in PKC

Look us up on Facebook: Mosquito Creek Redbones

Old Post 07-28-2022 01:41 PM
Jack Bingham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Bingham Click here to Send Jack Bingham a Private Message Click Here to Email Jack Bingham Visit Jack Bingham's homepage! Find more posts by Jack Bingham Add Jack Bingham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Why did y'all have to try it with the Beagles? All you had to do is ask several people that actually hunt, especially if you asked hunters who have been hunting under that format in that other registry for many years.

Old Post 07-28-2022 02:47 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trevor / UKC
Administrator

The Hunting Beagle voting associations passed the rule change in their 2021 Rule Change year. The coonhound associations did not pass it during the last voting year in 2019.

Old Post 07-28-2022 03:08 PM
Trevor / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trevor / UKC Click here to Send Trevor / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Trevor / UKC Find more posts by Trevor / UKC Add Trevor / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tg3375
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Trevor do we need to talk to our respective breed association reps? I mentioned it to mine at the winter classic but not sure what happened?

Old Post 07-28-2022 07:08 PM
J Gearing
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Maybe a policy as opposed to a rule .Evaluating, trending toward.... If you choose, a political career awaits .An opportunity to give all clubs a helping hand with no ill effects and atleast 6 years have passed and still evaluating. This is my last post on the subject. Got to get back to deciding which sock to put on first. Left or right.

Old Post 07-29-2022 06:18 PM
J Gearing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Gearing Click here to Send J Gearing a Private Message Click Here to Email J Gearing Find more posts by J Gearing Add J Gearing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tg3375
UKC Forum Member

To the top Oaks is coming soon.

Old Post 08-20-2022 11:12 PM
fogebotom
UKC Forum Member

I'm going to go a different direction then Jack. All of you are chatting up hunt rules, while bench rules need some serious ethics added.

Exhibitors can not show any dog that has been: owned by the judge, handled by the judge or used at stud by the judge within 1 year.

Exhibitors can not handle under a judge that they have previous co-owned, sold a dog to, traveled with or shared any show expenses with or handled a dog for in the last 12 months.

Judges at multi day events can not exhibit at any event leading up to their judging assignment(ie, it's a 3 day event, they are judging the 2nd day, so can't exhibit on the 1st day) and Judges should not be present at an multi day event prior to their judging assignment.

Old Post 08-22-2022 10:56 PM
fogebotom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fogebotom Click here to Send fogebotom a Private Message Find more posts by fogebotom Add fogebotom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rester
UKC Forum Member

Babbling!

Please do something with these babbling idiots!

Old Post 08-23-2022 02:03 PM
Rester is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rester Click here to Send Rester a Private Message Find more posts by Rester Add Rester to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Bourne
UKC Forum Member

Rules

Have enough problems people don't know the rules, have zero interest, in confusing more people.

Old Post 08-24-2022 02:20 AM
Jason Bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Bourne Click here to Send Jason Bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Bourne Find more posts by Jason Bourne Add Jason Bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Bourne
UKC Forum Member

Rules

Have enough problems people don't know the rules, have zero interest, in confusing more people.

Old Post 08-24-2022 02:20 AM
Jason Bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Bourne Click here to Send Jason Bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Bourne Find more posts by Jason Bourne Add Jason Bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shawnstovall
UKC Forum Member

Rule Changes:

1. yes, but put it in there that you have to physically see the coon.
2. yes
3. no leave it alone
4. no leave it alone
5. no leave it alone
6. yea
7, no leave it alone
8. yes this rule should have never been changed in the first place
9. yes but you need to place a time on it
10. no leave it alone

918-961-2434
Home to:
Pr S&J's Shack's Backwoods Patches (walker)
'PR' Stovall's Black Knight Wild Willy
Past Home to:
dual grand stovall's black knight george (gone but not forgotten)
pr D&S' black little luke (1st and 3rd place wins) (davis black luke x paynes black june) gone but not forgotten
Dual Grand Davis' black hutch (gone but not forgotten)

Old Post 08-24-2022 02:53 PM
shawnstovall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shawnstovall Click here to Send shawnstovall a Private Message Click Here to Email shawnstovall Find more posts by shawnstovall Add shawnstovall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote