UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > New Product Information- Garmin Pro 550 Plus
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

New Product Information- Garmin Pro 550 Plus

There are many of us that still use the Astro 220 and Astro 320. We are comfortable with them and like the operation of them over a touch screen. Some in this group have moved up to the Astro 430 so they can hunt and track with their friends that have the ALPHA. Well Garmin has made it so you can Stimulate, Tone and Locate your dogs form one simple device that is designed for stimulation first but has some of the features of a Tracker. The Garmin Pro 550 has been a favorite in the Bird Hunting world for a long time. It has a mile range with up to three collars and offers easy use without looking at the handheld to correct dogs. Well now the 550 Plus has had the range increased to 2 miles and they have added the capability to show dogs location along with distance. It can also be blue toothed to a Fenix watch or to a Drive Track. It is also compatible with a Astor 430 or ALPHA as the collars it can track are TT 15's regular and mini along with TT 10's. It can also track your buddies T5 but no correction with that collar. So if you have a 430 and wish it had features to allow it to Stimulate or wish the ALPHA was not as complicated to stimulate a dog at times. The Garmin 550 Plus might be what your looking for.

https://youtu.be/Sa2Gz0Spfv4

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 08-15-2018 at 06:34 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-15-2018 06:31 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sam Davis
UKC Forum Member

Bruce does this unit have any advantages over the Dogtra Pathfinder?

WWW.NITEHUNTERS.COM
731-632-0489
rats@nitehunters.com

Old Post 08-15-2018 06:39 PM
Sam Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sam Davis Click here to Send Sam Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email Sam Davis Visit Sam Davis's homepage! Find more posts by Sam Davis Add Sam Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

Re: New Product Information- Garmin Pro 550 Plus

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
It can also be blue toothed to a Fenix watch or to a Drive Track.

https://youtu.be/Sa2Gz0Spfv4

Bruce do you have a Fenix watch? Wear it to AO if you do. I want to see a demo on how to track my bird dog with that watch.

Old Post 08-15-2018 07:03 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Todd we are actually working with a third party APP developer to have the dog on the map on the Fenix 5.

Same your question cannot be answered to easily as they are so different a system. The Dogtra in my opinion has a lot of top features. I wish they would come out with THEIR stand alone handheld and still keep it simple. I and many others don't like using our smart phones in the woods.

This is basically like any of the shocking systems we have, even the older Tri Tronics. But it has a small window for direction and distance along status info of the dog. I think a lot of guys that have a Astro 430 because of how easy it is to operate compared to the ALPHA will like them so they can add the training feature.

Now take one of these and blue tooth it to a Drive Track and you nave a nice outfit.

Old Post 08-15-2018 07:20 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sam Davis
UKC Forum Member

Bruce - Thanks! Just wondering, Ive not kept up with the latest Garmin products.

WWW.NITEHUNTERS.COM
731-632-0489
rats@nitehunters.com

Old Post 08-15-2018 08:01 PM
Sam Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sam Davis Click here to Send Sam Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email Sam Davis Visit Sam Davis's homepage! Find more posts by Sam Davis Add Sam Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

bruce can you find your way back to the rig with this setup ?

Old Post 08-15-2018 08:18 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

You would have to have a collar at the truck and head back to it.

Old Post 08-15-2018 08:31 PM
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

Looks like its gonna be a nice system..Add on collars are going to be a little higher than the trashbreaker system and made for fewer dogs but to link with a fenix is nice and pin pointing direction of a bird dog on point is gonna be really nice!

Old Post 08-15-2018 09:05 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
You would have to have a collar at the truck and head back to it.
i wonder if i put a training collar on my buggy if i could get it to come pick me up lol ! thanks for info i'll just stick to my 220 and dc 30's until they just don't work

Old Post 08-15-2018 11:23 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Bruce do you know how far it will track in thick timber? I know a shocking system with a 2 mile range will only work about 800 yards in thick timber.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 08-16-2018 02:13 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

It should do what ever your ALPHA does as it uses the came collars and antennas. One the handheld you can go with an aftermarket antenna just like the ALAPHA for more range and also a truck antenna if you need to.

Old Post 08-16-2018 11:51 AM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Price and what collars will work with it?

Old Post 08-16-2018 01:22 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
It should do what ever your ALPHA does as it uses the came collars and antennas. One the handheld you can go with an aftermarket antenna just like the ALAPHA for more range and also a truck antenna if you need to.

So I may be misunderstanding how this works but the handheld unit receives a signal from the collar. So it will track as far as the collar will send a strong enough signal for the handheld unit to receive. To control the dog the handheld sends a signal to the collar. Isn't that limited by the wattage output of the handheld? This is giving a 2 mile line of sight rating to be able to do that. What is the Alpha rated at? I looked but couldn't find it. I might be off base here I'm just wondering. I have older friends that would be interested in this.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 08-16-2018 02:39 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Joey reading and discussing with people the range is about the same as the ALPHA. Here is where I am confused and actually disappointed at times. When trying to nail down the actual range many people discuss numbers that don't come close to what I get and are actually unacceptable in my opinion. Many people are using equipment that with a little care and Preventive Maint. they could double the range they are getting.

Old Post 08-20-2018 04:31 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Todd K there has been a beta version of the tracking app for the Fenix watch placed on the Garmin Connect program today.

Old Post 08-20-2018 04:41 PM
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

OK....I'm coming to see you and Zepp at AO for a demo!

Old Post 08-20-2018 06:19 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Me and Mark are good people to talk to but I will have a young mind there with me named Corey and he can help you out and explain it twice as fast as I can.

Old Post 08-20-2018 06:55 PM
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

What's the cost of it bruce

Old Post 08-22-2018 03:58 AM
treedog69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog69 Click here to Send treedog69 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog69 Add treedog69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

When they come out which will be soon. They will be $650 for a one dog system. They use the TT 15 collars either mini or regular.

Old Post 08-22-2018 12:34 PM