UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Skip a feeding?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Skip a feeding?

I was told by a vet years ago that missing a feeding every ten days to two weeks was really beneficial to hounds. Something to do with digestive enzymes or intestinal biotics, or ..?
I think about this from time to time and can almost see the merits. Anybody ever heard this?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-03-2020 04:24 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

From everything I have read fasting is very good for people also, but I don't like missing meals. That is how I feel about it for my dogs too. They get the grub every day.

Old Post 12-03-2020 11:40 AM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

I don't know. I have a friend that used to feed his hounds every other day. But he fed twice as much every feeding. I never saw the benefit other than not getting out in the rain to feed if it is raining. I'd rather just feed daily. That way, I can monitor the dogs to see if anything is wrong.

Old Post 12-03-2020 12:22 PM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I always feed daily, usually beagles after I run them in the morning, hounds after I hunt them at night. But this guy was adamant that an occasional fasting day was really, really good for gut health. He was a vet and kept bird dogs.

Old Post 12-03-2020 12:53 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Fasting a dog is good for it's immune system., helps in detoxing itself.

Old Post 12-03-2020 01:40 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Thats what pre and probiotics are for. skipping a meal is not good for people or dogs. Just like people being to lazy to feed dogs morning and nite. Flat out LAZY!

Old Post 12-03-2020 01:42 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by River Birch Run
Thats what pre and probiotics are for. skipping a meal is not good for people or dogs. Just like people being to lazy to feed dogs morning and nite. Flat out LAZY!

WOW.....this is not true .

Being lazy is another topic.

Old Post 12-03-2020 02:11 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

It takes days to do that not just one skipped meal. There are far better healthy ways to do that with natural foods. This is my wheel house I've done years or research on dogs and humans. You don't get abs by just skipping meals LOL.

Old Post 12-03-2020 02:26 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Bailey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by River Birch Run
It takes days to do that not just one skipped meal. There are far better healthy ways to do that with natural foods. This is my wheel house I've done years or research on dogs and humans. You don't get abs by just skipping meals LOL.

Who said anything about getting abs? There are numerous benefits to fasting. Fasting has been done for thousands of years. It's not the flavor of the month like all this grain free dog food nonsense.

Old Post 12-03-2020 02:43 PM
Paul Bailey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Bailey Click here to Send Paul Bailey a Private Message Find more posts by Paul Bailey Add Paul Bailey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Bailey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
WOW.....this is not true .

Being lazy is another topic.

X2

Old Post 12-03-2020 02:45 PM
Paul Bailey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Bailey Click here to Send Paul Bailey a Private Message Find more posts by Paul Bailey Add Paul Bailey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU !

Last edited by Charles Pullen on 12-03-2020 at 03:11 PM

Old Post 12-03-2020 02:53 PM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

My two cents!

Skipping a meal for a hound every now and then in the summer is def not a bad thing. However, when a hound is working in season, and in cold weather he needs to be fed daily and maybe for some twice daily...

Old Post 12-03-2020 03:14 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigRiverlilCoon
UKC Forum Member

poor hounds

poor hounds out there may miss a meal now cuz some fellas on the line says it has some benefits, I may or may not do this myself but I dang sure wouldn't promote it on a forum like this just for the love of the dogs and would hate for this type discussion get around, most folks wouldnt but some could take it the wrong way and abuse it. My dad was one that believed in fasting and he did it about once a year. This was for himself though and don't remember him trying to convince anyone it was a good idea. I dont have any rhyme or reason for it but I believe it is good for people just growing up around it I guess.

One difference I see in humans though is you are able to make that choice to put yourself through that where as a dog doesnt have that luxury. He depends on you to bring the groceries and unless hes running loose he cant do anything about that. Think about if you were stuck in the Jailhouse where you are now the dog an its isnt up to you on how many meals you get fed a day. Let me tell ya they skip one or two meals here and there you aren't going to be very happy and may have different view on skippin feedin time

Old Post 12-03-2020 05:41 PM
BigRiverlilCoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigRiverlilCoon Click here to Send BigRiverlilCoon a Private Message Click Here to Email BigRiverlilCoon Find more posts by BigRiverlilCoon Add BigRiverlilCoon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Treesinging
UKC Forum Member

I have found over many years if a dog has any dog feed left at all I skip him or her that day. They will regulate them selves if you pay attention what they are trying to tell you. I have one dog right now that will leave feed sometimes 2 days and then eat every bite in minutes for a month. I've had him checked for everything thinking something must be wrong. He tested clean every time I have him tested,

Generation All Grand)
Grand Night Champion Grand Champion Treesinging ZZ Top (5 Generation All Grand)
Grand Night Champion Treesinging Jessie (6 generation All Grand)
Grand Night Champion Treesinging Pearl Jam (5 generation All Grand)
Grand Night Champion Two Timing Dreamer (6 generation All Grand)

SEMEN AVALIBLE AT SPORT BLOCK
AND PEEWEE VALLEY

*****Contact Whitey *****
2018 TWBFA BREEDER OF THE YEAR
2014 LAVERNE MILLER AWARD WINNER
2003 TWBFA HUNTER OF THE YEAR
2002 TWBFA OUTSTANDING MEMBER AWARD WINNER

Contact me at
606-474-4031 or cell 606-225-0839

Address for
Treesinging Kennels

Whitey Marshall
2483 St. Hwy 1122
Grayson Ky. 41143

Old Post 12-03-2020 06:09 PM
Treesinging is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Treesinging Click here to Send Treesinging a Private Message Click Here to Email Treesinging Find more posts by Treesinging Add Treesinging to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

Just use self feeders. They will adjust and eat what they need. Before someone says something about checking on the dogs I probably look things over as much as anyone on here. Done this for years with good results.

Old Post 12-03-2020 06:20 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ROBERT HAYES
UKC Forum Member

skip a day

I did not know I was lazy because I just feed once a day.

Old Post 12-03-2020 06:33 PM
ROBERT HAYES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ROBERT HAYES Click here to Send ROBERT HAYES a Private Message Find more posts by ROBERT HAYES Add ROBERT HAYES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JesseJ
UKC Forum Member

When I started hunting coon hounds about 1976, I hunted with a older guy that was as good of hunter n trainer as anyone I've ever known.If his main dog failed to preform as it should or as he thought it should it didn't get fed. JesseJ

Old Post 12-03-2020 07:28 PM
JesseJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JesseJ Click here to Send JesseJ a Private Message Click Here to Email JesseJ Find more posts by JesseJ Add JesseJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

There is a big article about the benifits of fasting for humans and dogs on a website called www.veterinarypracticenews.com it's very informative on this subject and has all the benefits of fasting it's very good for the dogs digestive system and immune system and other things also. It will cause no harm to a human or a dog fasting is very good for everyone.

Old Post 12-03-2020 07:40 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

What problem am I solving? That's the question I would answer before making any changes to my dogs eating practices.

Old Post 12-03-2020 07:44 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Fasting must be good for dogs because I read on the interweb that it is. If you have your dog on a self feeder, will they occasionally fast?
On a different note, when I was a kid we occasionally fasted. It always seemed to come at the end of the month. It seemed to coincide with the fact that my mother could only go to the grocery store at the beginning of the month.

I don't think that it would hurt this little fellow to skip a couple of meals....

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-03-2020 at 09:05 PM

Old Post 12-03-2020 09:01 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYHoundDawg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JesseJ
When I started hunting coon hounds about 1976, I hunted with a older guy that was as good of hunter n trainer as anyone I've ever known.If his main dog failed to preform as it should or as he thought it should it didn't get fed. JesseJ

Ive done this but you gotta take that dog out the very next night and feed them twice as much (I usually toss in a white castle as well lol) if they do good. Even if they didnt do good I fed regular amount after the hunt and looked for another reason for them not performing. Works well on real food oriented dogs (most are) but some it wont click with and shouldnt be done.... gotta know your dogs.

Old Post 12-03-2020 09:09 PM
KYHoundDawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYHoundDawg Click here to Send KYHoundDawg a Private Message Click Here to Email KYHoundDawg Find more posts by KYHoundDawg Add KYHoundDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JMiller
UKC Forum Member

automatic/self feeders

My thoughts of a self feeder is that I like to see my dog eat. If for some reason that a dog goes without eating for a couple of days , there is something wrong with him. If they are on feeders you don't know whether that dog has ate today or yesterday or tomorrow, he has some reason for not eating. So I like to see my dog eat.

Old Post 12-03-2020 09:29 PM
JMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JMiller Click here to Send JMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email JMiller Find more posts by JMiller Add JMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

Re: automatic/self feeders

quote:
Originally posted by JMiller
My thoughts of a self feeder is that I like to see my dog eat. If for some reason that a dog goes without eating for a couple of days , there is something wrong with him. If they are on feeders you don't know whether that dog has ate today or yesterday or tomorrow, he has some reason for not eating. So I like to see my dog eat.
I see mine eat a little several times a day. They hit it as soon as I get home from hunting. I also look in the top of the feeders every day.

Old Post 12-03-2020 09:54 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tug18
UKC Forum Member

Guess I'm lazy, I only feed my dogs once a day, and the 7500 pigs I have are on a auto feed system. Lol Come spend a while at the farm, you can sit around with the rest of us lazy........

Old Post 12-04-2020 12:03 AM
Tug18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tug18 Click here to Send Tug18 a Private Message Find more posts by Tug18 Add Tug18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tug18
Guess I'm lazy, I only feed my dogs once a day, and the 7500 pigs I have are on a auto feed system. Lol Come spend a while at the farm, you can sit around with the rest of us lazy........

LOL I grew up on the farm. Spend 14 hr days with me cutting trees all day trying not to get killed. Please guy we get people all the time here that quit the pig farm it takes about 2 wks sometimes 3 for them to go wee wee wee all the way home back to the pig farm.

Point is if you are not willing to take care of a dog you shouldn't have them. If you can't walk your butt out to them at least 2xs a day to feed water and clean up after them. You should not have them. I really really wish these guys that feed once a day was only aloud to eat once a day.

As far as skipping a meal, I can find just as many articals that say it's bad for the body, as anyone can find it's good. You have to look at real research data to make an informed decision. It's really hard to understand but can be done. Most research data will tell you more research needs to be done.

Fasting for people is done more as a mind reset than a body flush. Eating healthy and daily exercise is tried and true. But that takes discipline, dedication, drive and money to be honest. It cost a lot more to eat healthy than to eat junk.

Old Post 12-04-2020 02:06 PM