UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Question On Dog??
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

Question On Dog??

Buddy got young dog around 3 for latest part till about July the dog was looking great tteeong coon and just doing things right after July dog has failed off note been laid up some and owner probably has been rough on him with collar. But dog has just all together fell apart like hunting but not getting treed may get treed for few mins leave then may get treed and stay always has a coon normally runs right up on up but is got way more roaming time then usually may go 4-5 hours fet treed once but dog has just took a major step back like his heads mot right. What could be issue.? And will he bounce back i been hunting him myself and killing him the coon he trees.

'Pr' Mabel's Treeing Blue Jay (bluetick)
GrCh 'Pr' Josh's Stylish Hitman 2nd in ukc (walker)
Ch 'Pr' Hard Knocking Deamon (walker)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-17-2020 06:22 PM
bluetikman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetikman Click here to Send bluetikman a Private Message Find more posts by bluetikman Add bluetikman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jack Bingham
UKC Forum Member

get some blood work done check for tick diseases and thyroid

A screw up on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

HOME OF

GRNitech PKC Platinum CH PR Mosquito Creek Danno's Buggs 2018 American Redbone Champion. 2019 World Champion Female. 2020 PURINA NATIONALS CH.

GRNITE CH Mosquito Creek Hank 2020 top 100

NITE CH SILVER CH Jersey Girl 2020 Top 100

GRNITE CH SILVER CH. Wipeout Small Pox 2020 Top 100

NITECH River Valley Rain

R.I.P.
GRNitech PKC CH GRCH Awesome Mosquito Crk. Lick 2016 World Champion Redbone Female

R.I.P.
DUAL GRAND PR ANDREWS MOSQUITO CREEK GO MAN SAM DNA-P

R.I.P.
GRNITECH PR Thunder creek Squeller 2cast wins NRCA. 4 cast wins AKC qualified for AKC 2009,2010,2011 world hunt. Qualified for 2008,2009 and 2010 UKC worlds. World Finalist at the 2010 UKC Worlds. Money won in PKC

R.I.P. NITECH PR Faith's Image ( 3-UKC 1st) cast win at NRCA 6TH AT ARCA Money won in PKC

Look us up on Facebook: Mosquito Creek Redbones

Old Post 11-17-2020 06:51 PM
Jack Bingham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Bingham Click here to Send Jack Bingham a Private Message Click Here to Email Jack Bingham Visit Jack Bingham's homepage! Find more posts by Jack Bingham Add Jack Bingham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Bingham
get some blood work done check for tick diseases and thyroid

I know alot wont agree with the above. Those issues will make one look plumb crazy. May have nothing to do with the problem. Worth getting checked out

Old Post 11-18-2020 03:05 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog

Case in point, hunting partner and I have a dog that was doing great, treeing a lot of coons, started missing bad like he could not smell. Took him to vet, his thyroid was way low, put on meds and within a week was starting to look good, accuracy back to normal, now when he trees we usually find a coon. DO NOT even think it did not make a difference, it DOES. I have a thyroid condition and meds were a life savor. No accurate dog starts treeing wrong on a regular basis for no reason at all, GET the dog vet checked asap. Yes, I know that there are lots of slick treeing idiots that have nothing wrong with them, but an accurate dog that starts missing regularly has a health issue that's affecting their nose. Thankfully, dogs can be tested and treated if needed. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 11-18-2020 at 06:48 AM

Old Post 11-18-2020 04:01 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I have a nice hound that got eurlicia and is just a shadow of what he was. Get him tested buddy.

Old Post 11-18-2020 10:13 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

shock collar

I think you answered your own question when you mentioned rough handling and shock collar.Some dogs can handle that,others cant.

Old Post 11-20-2020 05:31 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

Dog was tested everything was ok he did come back positive for ehrlichia they said was small case but he showed positive and his thyroid was 2.0. Would that be a reason for him acting so weird or am I looking for excuses??

Old Post 11-21-2020 05:32 PM
bluetikman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetikman Click here to Send bluetikman a Private Message Find more posts by bluetikman Add bluetikman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Old Post 11-25-2020 06:16 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bluetikman
Dog was tested everything was ok he did come back positive for ehrlichia they said was small case but he showed positive and his thyroid was 2.0. Would that be a reason for him acting so weird or am I looking for excuses??

What did the vet say about treating the ehrlichia, positive is positive, that means he has it. Get it treated. Dave

Old Post 11-25-2020 06:37 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BAS
UKC Forum Member

ehrlichia

Yes positive is positive. Never heard of a small case. I just treated two dogs for it and my hunting partner just treated one. They will do some unusual things when they come down with it. If your vet did not subject treatment or further testing I would find another vet. These dog have been off the Doxy for about two or three weeks and they are just now getting close to being the same dogs.

Old Post 11-25-2020 11:16 AM
BAS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BAS Click here to Send BAS a Private Message Click Here to Email BAS Find more posts by BAS Add BAS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

Running doxy thru him and give him the imizol shot. Are you allowed to hunt them on it?

Old Post 11-25-2020 01:35 PM
BAS
UKC Forum Member

Doxy

I was advised not to hunt them while on the Doxy so I didn’t

Old Post 11-25-2020 03:17 PM
BAS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BAS Click here to Send BAS a Private Message Click Here to Email BAS Find more posts by BAS Add BAS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bluetikman
Running doxy thru him and give him the imizol shot. Are you allowed to hunt them on it?

I think where a lot of people screw up is hunting them to early. I would not hunt the dog until after he is completely off meds. The eulrichia is hard on them they need time re operate. Is he on just doxy or did they administer imizol as well? Good luck

Old Post 12-03-2020 07:18 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

There have been no scientific studies done on whether hunting them while on the Doxy either hurts or helps them. Some people do and some don't. How long and how often and how hard you hunt them would have to figure into it. Common sense should tell you that since they are sick and their body is fighting an infection that they should get plenty of rest. Just like humans some dogs are tougher than others. Some want to go even when they are sick or injured and some want to stay home at the slighest excuse. Determine which type of dog that you have. My rule of thumb is; if they want to go, I take them. If they don't want to go, I don't.

Old Post 12-03-2020 01:55 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote