UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Trailing type dog
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Trailing type dog

I see this term used quite a bit and I'm not sure I know exactly what it means. Please share your definition. I'm pretty sure I prefer a trailing type dog but what I consider one may be different than what is meant today. Thanks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-07-2020 05:47 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

It means they trail to much and stay on the ground longer than they need to most of these dogs are common type track dogs but some can trail up a coon when others can't tree one. The problem seems to find one that doesn't trail when they shouldn't be a top Hunter told me 30 years ago a dog shouldn't get down and trail unless they have to

Old Post 11-07-2020 07:17 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leon Keys
UKC Forum Member

Trailing Type Dog

A dog that gives a lot of mouth on track and does not move a track or cover much distance very fast while trailing. They tend to straddle, run tight to the line, or struggle through rough spots on most tracks. Rarely fall treed or tree layups without trailing first. They seem to enjoy barking on a trail and do not seem interested in running to catch. I’ve seen quite a few of these type of dogs that can sure enough tree Coons consistently. They are typically accurate with very few slick trees. They tend to look better hunted alone and/or as pleasure dogs. I see them as a traditional type of hound. Steady Eddy type dogs.

Old Post 11-07-2020 10:35 PM
Leon Keys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Leon Keys Click here to Send Leon Keys a Private Message Click Here to Email Leon Keys Find more posts by Leon Keys Add Leon Keys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Well I can see my definition is different than what maybe most people mean when they say trailing type dog. I always thought a trailing type dog was the dog that took the first track he came to, had the nose and brains to take that track out and tree the tree the coon was in. I thought the other kind of dog looked for a hotter track that maybe could be treed easier and quicker.

Old Post 11-07-2020 11:20 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Well I can see my definition is different than what maybe most people mean when they say trailing type dog. I always thought a trailing type dog was the dog that took the first track he came to, had the nose and brains to take that track out and tree the tree the coon was in. I thought the other kind of dog looked for a hotter track that maybe could be treed easier and quicker.

I’m on the same page as you...strange how dogs hunting styles have changed... we went from Wipeout dogs that trailed and treed coons.... some opened off the leash and never hushed until back on it... seeing a lot of dogs today that move around really quick and cover a lot of ground bypassing older tracks in preference for hot pop up coons that are almost always on the outside and can be struck and treed in one bark (ambush dogs)... a lot depends on where u hunt... ambush can struggle in thin coons and are often out of pocket before they get treed..... but in the northern states they are almost impossible to beat.....

Old Post 11-07-2020 11:46 PM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I think my definition and yours are about the same Tom. Problem is, too many folks manipulate terminology to avoid admitting a dog's faults. When I call one a "trailing type dog", it means he/she can move a coon track out of (or through) any terrain or conditions, and correctly locate the tree where its sitting in a timely manner.

But to a dog salesman that doesn't wanna admit faults in what he's peddling, it sounds better to call a dog that spends too much time on the ground a "trailing type dog". Just like when they call a slick treeing idiot a "powerful/explosive treedog". To me, that should mean a dog that puts on a show when he parks, straight up, machine gun mouth, no chewing flipping or fighting. But when someone is trying to unload one, that's usually code for a stiff neck special.

Old Post 11-07-2020 11:52 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

My idea is the same as Mr woods and Cory's but when I read about a trailing type dog I figure it's a common dog a good dog like Mr woods Described is hard to find

Old Post 11-08-2020 12:06 AM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

My feeling on this is that dogs have one of two preferences. You cut one loose and they go looking for a track to run and then tree the coon they are running. The other style dog goes looking for a tree to tree and will run some just before it trees. The running type dog is preferred in thick heavy woods where coon aren't setting up around fields and in small acre blocks of woods. They have to go hunting find a track and work it out to find the coon. The treeing type dog learns to run edges of fields and hustle down trails and through small blocks of woods looking for what appears to be a hotter track to tree.

Always seemed common for the dog that has more track ability to be accurate. Dogs just looking to tree seem to miss more. Across this country there are places to hunt that prefers one style of dog over the other.

Let me describe what a young hound dog that prefers to tree looks like down here in the swamps. Seen it many times. You cut two young dogs loose They don't say nothing on track but one hits on a tree and the other one trees right behind it. Those two dogs were going through the woods together, looking for a tree to tree up. Not a track to run. It depends on where you live that allows you to enjoy one type of hound over another one. Both have their place and yes there is a difference. In these swamps a dog that goes looking for a tree. Usually doesn't work out. One that goes looking for a coon and finds its track and can work that track to the right tree. Is the one your looking for. One like that which can tree a layup if he comes across it is even better. Note, I said comes across it, not skipping tracks to find a layup. I have hunted 50+ years and over the years a person learned what bloodline produced which type of hounds. Today it appears our lines of hounds are getting as confusing as election results. Most of our larger hunts are hunted where a slide through the woods find a tree type of hound works better. If more hunts were in deep swamps, not just deep swamps in some spots but from the time you turned loose. You would find more dogs had to be a trailing type hound. Don't need a trailing dog around the edge of a cornfield.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 11-08-2020 at 11:21 AM

Old Post 11-08-2020 11:12 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

I prefer a dog that trees as a last resort. Meaning no track to run. I said run not just trail. All of these words we use to describe our dogs can have many different meanings. I want my dog to move every track it starts as fast as they can, with as few mistakes as possible.

Old Post 11-08-2020 02:00 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

I’ve got one right now. She’s a trailing dog that will tree. She don’t want to tree but will. Works well for my area in winter months. I’ve got 3 kids and a pretty good size service buisness so it’s often late before I can get to the woods. You need a good chair to hunt her. I hunted her for a entire month late in the night last winter and only had her make one slick. The down side is I’ve had her stay on the ground for a 5 hours one night. I’ve never had to scold her for slick treeing because she don’t want to tree anyway. She trees cause she has no other choice. You can pull her off a tree with silly string. Most confuse a tree dog that will trail with trailing type dog.

Old Post 11-08-2020 02:33 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Strange how hunters describe things so differently

Old Post 11-08-2020 11:50 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Strange how hunters describe things so differently

X2... I was thinking the same thing...and the comments are well written by those of much experience and are excellent thoughts developed by years of experience...

I’ve gotten to the point where I just say a great dog can hunt in any country with any dog and not look bad doing it...it is pretty generalized but it cuts out a lot of debate...I do know for certain a hot nosed dog is a cull in my eyes...and too cold a nose is not a desirable trait the way I like to hunt...

Old Post 11-09-2020 12:23 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

N Williams

Your dog is my kind of dog, I LOVE an accurate dog and HATE a slick treeing dog. I do not mind listening to a dog trail knowing that when it trees that the coon is there. Coons are worthless these days, but accuracy is a MUST for me. I love hearing a dog trail and love hearing them tree knowing they got the meat. Nothing enjoyable in walking to a slick tree, especially in these steep mountains. I will not hunt a dog that misses regularly no matter how stylish they may be otherwise. Accuracy foremost is my measuring stick and I refuse to hunt slick treeing idiots. Dave

Old Post 11-09-2020 01:53 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

To me a trailing type dog doesn't mean it's a complete ground pounder booticking its way through the timber on a track. It means it prefers to have a track to run vs trying to tree layups. And it seems everyone has a "good" layup dog until you hunt with it. It's much easier to breed for trailing ability vs layup ability. A true trailing type dog is a track driver that can get way out in front of the other dogs on most tracks. But hey its all opinion based.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-09-2020 04:28 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Not too long ago I messaged a man that has one of the top young dogs around. Has won a truck and a lot of cash. I'm hoping to get a pup out of this dog. I wanted to know more about how the dog operated. His answer to me was "He's just a dog that trees coon". Maybe the most honest answer I've ever had to that question. And seeing that we all tend to have a different definition of so many terms, maybe the only answer he could give me. Now other people have told me about the dog and I've heard nothing but good.

Old Post 11-09-2020 01:51 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Not too long ago I messaged a man that has one of the top young dogs around. Has won a truck and a lot of cash. I'm hoping to get a pup out of this dog. I wanted to know more about how the dog operated. His answer to me was "He's just a dog that trees coon". Maybe the most honest answer I've ever had to that question. And seeing that we all tend to have a different definition of so many terms, maybe the only answer he could give me. Now other people have told me about the dog and I've heard nothing but good.

Old Post 11-09-2020 01:52 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Preacher Tom

I liked that comment, if he is a dog that just trees coons, he is doing the right things. Treeing coons is the most important thing a coon dog can do in my opinion. I love an accurate coon dog. Dave

Old Post 11-09-2020 03:07 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Very true... this is a sum zero game... either you are treeing coons regularly or you are not. A lot of dissecting can go into how they are doing it, or why they are not doing it.... but that will always be the bottom line- are you looking at coons in trees with a dog underneath that tree more often than not.

Old Post 11-09-2020 03:44 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

A good balanced hound is a beautiful thing to listen to but then again I guess it depends on what you think balanced means.

Old Post 11-09-2020 04:04 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think it is important to understand the characteristics of the different bloodlines. That makes choosing what bloodline you will get a pup from easier.

Old Post 11-09-2020 07:42 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Davebrott
UKC Forum Member

Track dog

I want one looking to get Treed not looking for any old track. if i wanted to listen to a track dog i would hunt a beagle or coyote dog. and mine will tree them in Michigan and the South Carolina swamps.
but that's the kind i like to each there own.

Old Post 11-09-2020 09:56 PM
Davebrott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Davebrott Click here to Send Davebrott a Private Message Click Here to Email Davebrott Find more posts by Davebrott Add Davebrott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

A 5 hour long track

When I get to the tree I'm going to kill something so that dog better never miss. Lol
I hate slick treeing and ground pounding both so to much of either and I'm getting a new dog.

Old Post 11-09-2020 11:47 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

To me a trailing type hound was one that worked a track with its nose on the ground going everywhere the coon had went right up to the base of the tree the coon was in, checked for a track going away from that tree and if there wasn’t one they stayed there. A winding type, or drifting type track dog was different in that there want the way the scent was going and was at and went after it.

Old Post 11-10-2020 12:41 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Trailing Type Dog

To me, it just means the dog works a track. Some do it well. Some do it poorly.

Track it up, and tree at the end of the track. If they tree at the end of the track, they will have a coon (otherwise it's not the end of the track).

A trailing type of dog can be wide open, and it can be tight mouth. How much they bark isn't the determining factor. A real open trailing type of dog can sound ugly in real thick terrain. Just like we can't walk a straight line through a thicket, coon don't run a straight line through a thicket. Progress can be slow through real thick stuff, and they can sound bogged down. Nothing quite like having to bust through a greenbriar thicket over cut over timber to pull your dog out of a hole.

Likewise, a lay-up dog (there aren't many of them---way less than people think) can also look sloppy. Why? Because the lay up dog is working off air currents. Even a good lay-up dog doesn't get lay-ups that often. They will often be dancing around under the canopy without picking a tree. If they do pick a tree, they will often miss by a tree or two. If they are getting the scent from the tree trunk, that's not a lay-up. Silent trailing does not make it a lay-up (a lot of people can be confused by this).

Old Post 11-10-2020 12:44 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

About 5 years ago we were on 18 cast from December 1st through feb 28. We drew pkc world champions, super stakes champions, 2 ukc world champions, truck hunt winners. In other words we were drawing some of the best coontreeing hounds alive at that time. However 125plus points would have won 15 of those cast. So all a dog had to was tree one coon and hold its points within 2 hours and it would have won 15 out of 18 cast. Now I like speed but what I will not tolerate is a dam dog that gambles very often . You wade through swamps, cut through cut overs,or walk up and down mountains for a dog that often takes 30 min to a hour to get to that shows me a tree that looks like one in my yard with no coon in it. The most accurate dogs I’ve owned and hunted were trailing-running dogs that will tree but don’t want to, or hot nosed ambush style dogs. I’ll feed any dog that I feel confident in being accurate. What most are winning with are dogs that run ewaks and fall off on a coon. I wish I had one of those.

Old Post 11-10-2020 02:06 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote