UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > range out
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

range out

ive got a 2.5 year old female thats been treeing since she was one year old , i only hunt her by herself. Got a great mouth, doesn't bump trash, goes hunting! the negative side is she doesn't hunt out far , if she doesn't get on a track within 150-450 yards she'll come back to truck! with age would u think she'll start getting deeper?
she's a real timid dog so shes not going to take any harsh treatment.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-22-2020 05:11 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Hunt her with other dogs. 2.5 years old what's the hold up.

Old Post 11-22-2020 05:34 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

From what I’ve observed in the last 43 years of owning hunting hounds is the majority of the “hunt” a hound has is all decided at fertilization. The majority of your attempts to try to make a hound hunt deeper/wider will not work in the end. Desire and hunt are genetically inherited from what I’ve experienced in both coon hounds and beagles. I suspect it holds true in any of the dogs used to pursue game, furred or feathered.

Old Post 11-22-2020 06:57 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Getting a dog to "range" out takes patience.

I take 2-4 dogs, hunt 1or 2 at a time .
The dog I want to "range" out, I'll put a little want to in them by lineing them up w/the other dog(s), as if I'm going to let it go, but I don't cut it loose.
Once the dog(s) r out of sight I'll take that dog and put it back in the box.
I average 4 drops a nite, so it'll get put back in the box 4 times for 2-4 nites.

That's the extent of it's training xposure for awhile.

On the last nite of this training, on the last drop of the nite and at a woods u know that a dog has to range out I'll drop it. If it comes back put it in the box .
Go home or drop ur other dogs if u got sum.
Like I said it takes patience, & no need for a heavy hand .

Done with consistency u will soon have a dog u wished didn't go that far....

Or if u don't wanna do that.....then try this, every time the dog comes back, that dog is DONE for the nite.

P.S......If your walk hunting this dog u need to stop that.

Old Post 11-22-2020 07:58 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier
UKC Forum Member

My soluition

I 100% agree, the desire to hunt/range out is determined at breeding time.

A much better solution would be to sell her to me! I don't want one to range over 400 yards here. It's not needed. If they can't strike a track here in 400 yards, come back and we will go somewhere else!

NOT everyone likes deep and lonely. If i want to walk a mile, I own a tread mill.

Seriously, if you want to sell her, PM me.

Old Post 11-23-2020 12:03 AM
Hoosier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Click here to Send Hoosier a Private Message Click Here to Email Hoosier Find more posts by Hoosier Add Hoosier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

I'm in Hoosier's camp.. I'd love one that would hunt out 400-500 yards and come back!!

Old Post 11-23-2020 01:09 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I would absolutely agree that the vast majority of a dog's hunt is genetic. But I will say I've had a little luck with putting dogs in situations where they have to go hunting, then waiting them out. Some folks encourage them to go hunting by walking them whenever they come back, and that just reinforces the habit. In those instances, a hound that would ordinarily go hunting gets conditioned to hunt with a person, not from a person. Those can often be "fixed" by parking in an area where a dog has to go hunting, then waiting them out until they do. It gets frustrating, but eventually they get bored and go on. After awhile, you can increase the distance they have to go and continue the process.
Long story short, conditioning/training errors are often fixable if you're patient. Genetics usually aren't. Knowing the difference makes all the difference.

Old Post 11-23-2020 01:35 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Re: My soluition

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier
I 100% agree, the desire to hunt/range out is determined at breeding time.

A much better solution would be to sell her to me! I don't want one to range over 400 yards here. It's not needed. If they can't strike a track here in 400 yards, come back and we will go somewhere else!

NOT everyone likes deep and lonely. If i want to walk a mile, I own a tread mill.

Seriously, if you want to sell her, PM me.

im going to keep right now! ive got a 9.5 year old that goes as deep as he needs too, 2-3 drops a night is all you can do with him! my young female, u can make alot more drops.

Old Post 11-23-2020 01:38 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

btt

btt

Old Post 11-25-2020 09:40 PM
Pollard_247
UKC Forum Member

I’ll 2nd this method

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
Getting a dog to "range" out takes patience.

I take 2-4 dogs, hunt 1or 2 at a time .
The dog I want to "range" out, I'll put a little want to in them by lineing them up w/the other dog(s), as if I'm going to let it go, but I don't cut it loose.
Once the dog(s) r out of sight I'll take that dog and put it back in the box.
I average 4 drops a nite, so it'll get put back in the box 4 times for 2-4 nites.

That's the extent of it's training xposure for awhile.

On the last nite of this training, on the last drop of the nite and at a woods u know that a dog has to range out I'll drop it. If it comes back put it in the box .
Go home or drop ur other dogs if u got sum.
Like I said it takes patience, & no need for a heavy hand .

Done with consistency u will soon have a dog u wished didn't go that far....

Or if u don't wanna do that.....then try this, every time the dog comes back, that dog is DONE for the nite.

P.S......If your walk hunting this dog u need to stop that.

Old Post 11-26-2020 12:23 AM
Pollard_247 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pollard_247 Click here to Send Pollard_247 a Private Message Click Here to Email Pollard_247 Find more posts by Pollard_247 Add Pollard_247 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

450 Yards

I just had a Track man bred female die at 9 years old. She was a 400 to 500 yard circle back hunter and if she came back we moved on to another spot. With company she would hunt a little deeper but man she was a nice hound. But she was what suited me. I own a red tick male now that kicks dirt and goes yonder and gets treed and is probably too much dog for me and my 51 year old legs and where I hunt. If she is that old I seriously doubt she will ever change into a deep hunter. Sounds like she would be a great puppy trainer! Good luck with her!

Old Post 12-03-2020 03:49 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Drop her in the middle of decent hunting. Go back and sit in your truck. Read a book or watch a movie on Netflix. See what she does after being ignored for an hour.

Old Post 12-03-2020 04:00 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote