UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Possum
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Possum

I have a pretty nice young dog that just has to tree a possum about every 20 hunts. I'm working on it but the question I asked myself last night was "Why do I care so much?" At my age I just pleasure hunt so does it make that much difference? I guess us old dogs just can't change. Just don't like it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-14-2020 06:17 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I feel the same way, I guess it is just the fact that I want it to be done right by the dogs and a possum just ain't right! Lol

Old Post 11-14-2020 06:21 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

I just go to tree game. I guess I'm a varmint hunter instead of a coon hunter. They sound just as good freeing a possum.

Old Post 11-14-2020 07:15 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Preacher Tom

Lol. I am old school and back in my younger days we always had combo dogs, dogs that treed coons and possums. Coons were scarce in my parts and possums were thick, had a lot of fun treeing possums that we would have missed by only treeing coons. NIGHT HUNTS were the cause of possums being considered trash, take away the Night Hunts and possums sound just as good as coons being treed. These days with more coons to tree, I prefer my digs do not mess with possums, but one every now and then does not upset me. Dave

Old Post 11-14-2020 07:35 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
I just go to tree game. I guess I'm a varmint hunter instead of a coon hunter. They sound just as good freeing a possum.
I know they sound just as good sometimes even better...lol but I guess it was the way I was trained I can't seem to accept it.

Old Post 11-14-2020 07:41 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Oh the dreaded possum. He is so much more hated than the slick tree.

Old Post 11-14-2020 08:59 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Oh the dreaded possum. He is so much more hated than the slick tree.

Not for me. Give a possum over an empty anytime. My dogs miss but I don't like it. A dog just looks so stupid treeing on an empty.

Old Post 11-14-2020 09:19 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

What about those small empty trees that you know they can see that there is nothing up there. Their eyes are a lot better than ours but they keep right on treeing. Or sometimes they will look at you like, "oh well I tried" and leave when you walk up. I think that they just want to see if you will walk in to them.

Or what about when they know that they have treed a possum and they know that they aren't supposed to? They leave and go on when they see your light coming to them. That is what gets me.

How about when 2 males will fight over an obvious slick tree that they have to know is slick? Do you think that they are just frustrated because the coon put the slip on them?

Old Post 11-14-2020 09:41 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Richard I have seen everything you mentioned and I still don't know what they can be thinking or even if they are thinking. How can dogs look so good, even amazing and then look so stupid.

Old Post 11-14-2020 10:05 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Tried a dog once that treed up a short corn stalk another one treed up a Polk berry stalk! Some things just can't be explained!

Old Post 11-14-2020 10:34 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Did anyone ever see a dog that was straight on possum, wouldn't tree a coon?

Old Post 11-14-2020 11:02 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Did anyone ever see a dog that was straight on possum, wouldn't tree a coon?
I had one that would quit a coon to tree a possum, to him a coon was fast game. Lol

Old Post 11-14-2020 11:09 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

In 1970 I had a female out of House's Chief. I bred her to Gann's Finisher, I'm sure most of you think that's pretty well bred. My hunting buddy got a male pup (prettiest one in the litter) that would only tree possums. He hunted hard and wide, but when he treed he ALWAYS had a possum. He wouldn't tree a coon with another dog. He was the straightest dog I ever hunted, only on the wrong game. I won't put on here the things he did to try to break him. Nothing ever worked and he kept him 5 years. And I might add he was a natural. He started at 6 months.

Old Post 11-15-2020 12:57 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Donald it just makes sense that if we have a dog occasionally that is straight on coon that somewhere, sometime there should be one straight on possum,lol.

Old Post 11-15-2020 02:12 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Tried a dog once that treed up a short corn stalk another one treed up a Polk berry stalk! Some things just can't be explained!

Now that is true and I have seen it. I actually saw one dog back another on a corn stalk during a hunt. All you can do is laugh. It is just too much to get mad about. It just brings you back to reality and reminds you that they are just dogs. What else can you say.

Old Post 11-15-2020 01:45 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Donald it just makes sense that if we have a dog occasionally that is straight on coon that somewhere, sometime there should be one straight on possum,lol.

Now that is something to consider. You could think about that for days. Why do some dogs tree possums and some dont? Now we know that possums and coons smell different and dogs can tell the difference. Why do some never want to tree a possum, some will tree only possums and there are dogs that are every degree in between. Some are easy to break, some are hard to break and then some are just impossible to completely break.

Old Post 11-15-2020 01:51 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Had a nice hound that would tree a possum about every 3 months or so and we tried everything you can imagine to break him but I never got him to where I could trust him. It got to where I was ashamed to discipline him. Finally got rid of him and as far as I know he never changed.

Old Post 11-15-2020 02:33 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

When I get in from Church tonight, I'm gonna take this "pretty nice young dog" out and see if he wants to tree coon or possum tonight. Betting on coon. He likes to put several hunts between the possum, lol.

Old Post 11-15-2020 11:32 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I’d rather have ‘em tree a possum than a porky! Usually when a dog trees a porky it’s soon after it grabbed the thing.

An old friend who is now long gone, had a bluetick he thought the world of get in one so bad he put the dog down right there in the woods. The porky was barren of quills when that dog got through with it! Never before or since have I seen a dog so covered with quills. A hound with any brains won’t get into them more than a time or two a the most!

Old Post 11-16-2020 02:04 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coal295
UKC Forum Member

Possum

Just be thankful that you like him most nights! Since my male dog got killed on the highway ive had a hard time finding anything i like to hunt! My male wasn't one of the better dogs I've had over the years but I have had a hard time finding a good pleasure dog that I can enjoy!

Old Post 11-16-2020 02:06 AM
Coal295 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coal295 Click here to Send Coal295 a Private Message Click Here to Email Coal295 Find more posts by Coal295 Add Coal295 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Well I turned him loose at 8:00, went 500 and struck a working track. Moved it about 400 and treed in a big tree in a bunch of big cedars and briars but I found it with the AGM TM25 (that thing is great) and was able to knock it down to him. Big boar, First one he's had in about 2 months. I don't kill many coon. Back in the truck at 8:42. Went home.

Old Post 11-16-2020 03:26 AM